Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    I bought the panda skull t-shirt John wears to sleep in from The Shrine.

Although I gotta say, did we really need yet another "Rodney is dying" story? I mean, seriously. The Shrine, I thought, was good if you just took it as one episode. But if you put it in context with the rest of the season, certain *ahem* confessions made no sense.
    I agree with this, including the part about the shirt. Any time they let Joe wear his own clothes is golden. Plus the plaid shirt just makes the outfit. Anyway, the thing with The Shrine was the depth of emotion that Joe showed with just his voice. And the BTS beer story. Also golden. I think we've gotten a version of that day at cons from just about everybody involved. *goes back to researching wedding hotels* Does everybody really need their own room? When you guys get tired of my wedding chatter, just let me know. Somehow I was under the impression that the mother of the groom had little to do. This wedding is proving me wrong on that score.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
      John wasn't quite the same after losing Elizabeth.
      In a way tptb unintentionally wrote a deconstruction of the fridging of the love interest. Usually by the time we meet the protagonist, his loved one is already dead. And we get to meet a man who has already spent a couple years immersed in his manpain. We get rare glimpses and flashbacks of who he used to be before his beloved passed away. And that love interest is just a nebulous figure, a vehicle for his angst.

But here we got to meet her and love her and we suffered her loss too and mourned her with him. And then comes the part where the show usually starts, the after the loss. But we got to see them meet and saw their relationships evolve. And we met the man he was before he became a shadow of himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Luz View Post
        In a way tptb unintentionally wrote a deconstruction of the fridging of the love interest. Usually by the time we meet the protagonist, his loved one is already dead. And we get to meet a man who has already spent a couple years immersed in his manpain. We get rare glimpses and flashbacks of who he used to be before his beloved passed away. And that love interest is just a nebulous figure, a vehicle for his angst.

But here we got to meet her and love her and we suffered her loss too and mourned her with him. And then comes the part where the show usually starts, the after the loss. But we got to see them meet and saw their relationships evolve. And we met the man he was before he became a shadow of himself.
        Very good observation. Mr. Bohannan on Hell on Wheels is a perfect example of that figure. Wounded, ruthless, reckless. Much like John in S4-5, and it was all a result of losing his wife.
        sigpic

Comment

This. I think this is one of the reasons why Sparky is so enduring with the fans. They didn't come across as characters -- the actors portrayed them as people who were just as screwed up as we are, who had amazing and horrific things happen to them, who had to learn how to deal with it and move on somehow. And we witnessed everything, which just endeared them to us so much more.

Comment

I bought the panda skull t-shirt John wears to sleep in from The Shrine.

Although I gotta say, did we really need yet another "Rodney is dying" story? I mean, seriously. The Shrine, I thought, was good if you just took it as one episode. But if you put it in context with the rest of the season, certain *ahem* confessions made no sense.
            I thought there were only two "Rodney is dying" stories (unless you count Doppelganger but it was not about Rodney, it was about everyone). The Shrine was an excellent bookend episode to Tao Of Rodney. Tao was a "Rodney is dying" story in which the point was to show us how much Rodney has learned to appreciate the people he's surrounded with, his surrogate family. Even though there's a "we love you, Rodney" scene at the end, the focus of the episode is primarily on his feelings towards his teammates,his desire to show them how much he's come to care for them all. That was some major character development for him. The Shrine was a "Rodney is dying" story in which we saw how much Rodney's teammates have come to love and appreciate him in return. We did not see it as much in Tao where Rodney's possible death was treated as a source of comedy for most of the episode. Even the dying scene in Tao was pretty damn light, with John making cracks about "the way a friend feels about another friend". The Shrine treated the subject with the seriousness it deserved. The focus was on Rodney's teammates' feelings towards him, and I thought we saw some great character development for everyone (except for Teyla who was completely sidelined, unfortunately). I for one was extremely gratified to see that the John/Rodney friendhship was not all about sniping at each other and geeking out together; the beer on the pier scene is possibly my favorite friendship scene in the whole Stargate franchise. I loved seeing Ronon being human and finally showing that he did give a damn about Rodney the way Rodney gave a damn about him (and that Rodney cares for Ronon is obvious in such episodes as Broken Ties, etc). I adored the scene in which Ronon comforts Jeannie. I was not a fan of the abrupt McKeller, but I found it to be a small part of an otherwise excellent character-driven episode.

As you can probably guess, I'm very happy we got this episode. So yeah, I definitely needed that story!

Comment

Rodney is dying episodes - off the top of my head there's also Duet and Grace Under Pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                Thank you. We appreciate all our fans. Wait until you read PM Act V. Exciting doesn't begin to describe it.
                Can hardly wait for it. I am guessing if part IV was great, part V will be even greater!!!!

So... uh... I should probably try watching the episodes in order instead of using tumblr as a guide and watching the ones where John wears a suit, huh?

BTW, I loved Outcast and Vegas. And right now I'm pondering whether I should watch that episode from the previouslies on Outcast (John in a suit. Coincidence? I don't think so ) or really start watching them properly.
                I would watch them properly. And now that we know what happens in SGA Rising, it will be much better for you to “digest” seasons 4 and 5.

Originally posted by Sparks of Atlantis View Post
                Just found this Sparky vid. Thought I'd share.

Spoiler:
                I have been waiting for a Sparky video with this song for ages! Thank you so much for sharing it.

I have a question though. Are the rest of the episodes as grey? John looks so glum. Or maybe I just chose the two most depressing John episodes to watch.
                Most of the episodes are grey, yes. John looks glum in most of the episodes, that’s the Sparky spirit in action. John completely changed after Elizabeth’s departure.

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
                I've watched some episodes online. John did a 180 after losing Elizabeth. I barely recognized him!
                He sure did.
                sigpic
                sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Very good observation. Mr. Bohannan on Hell on Wheels is a perfect example of that figure. Wounded, ruthless, reckless. Much like John in S4-5, and it was all a result of losing his wife.
                  OT for those interested in Hell on Wheels.

Spoiler:
                  I read not that long ago in the USA Today that Hell on Wheels Season 3 will start in early August.
                  I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

*pops in*

So I got home today after work was done and I'd gone to the library and the gym, and I decided to take a nap at around 5 o'clock. I just woke up.

Seeing as how I have a busy day planned for tomorrow, esta es no bueno.

Anyhow. I'm gonna try and convince myself that I should get some more sleep. Night!

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                      *pops in*

So I got home today after work was done and I'd gone to the library and the gym, and I decided to take a nap at around 5 o'clock. I just woke up.

Seeing as how I have a busy day planned for tomorrow, esta es no bueno.

Anyhow. I'm gonna try and convince myself that I should get some more sleep. Night!
                      I forgot to tell you how much i liked your fic snippet. Very nice!

I haven't mentioned SGA rising because I'm waiting until it's all posted to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                        This. I think this is one of the reasons why Sparky is so enduring with the fans. They didn't come across as characters -- the actors portrayed them as people who were just as screwed up as we are, who had amazing and horrific things happen to them, who had to learn how to deal with it and move on somehow. And we witnessed everything, which just endeared them to us so much more.
                        I agree absolutely!
                        sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                        https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

I forgot to tell you how much i liked your fic snippet. Very nice!

I haven't mentioned SGA rising because I'm waiting until it's all posted to read it.
                          Thanks!

Oh, I admire your self control. I couldn't help but read the parts as soon as they came out.

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post

Spoiler:
                            I read not that long ago in the USA Today that Hell on Wheels Season 3 will start in early August.
                            Yes and they're busy filming even as we speak. I follow Anson Mount on Twitter. He tweets pics and vids from the set almost every day, and his horse Quigley also has a Twitter feed. Nothing spoilery, but fun. And he's a hoot also. Can't wait for S3.
                            sigpic

Comment

PM Act V is up. Go read and be angry that you have to wait for more. Shoo now.
                              sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

That's a brilliant observation.

And rather depressing when you realize that TPTW weren't even going for it.

Yup.

Originally posted by mandogater View Post

Spoiler:
                                *screams in joy*

Yes and they're busy filming even as we speak. I follow Anson Mount on Twitter. He tweets pics and vids from the set almost every day, and his horse Quigley also has a Twitter feed. Nothing spoilery, but fun. And he's a hoot also. Can't wait for S3.
                                WTF? How did I miss that?!? *runs to Twitter*

PM Act V is up. Go read and be angry that you have to wait for more. Shoo now.
                                AHAHAHAHAHA! BTW SR, the bunker is ready.
                                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Working...
                                X