Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    Oh, and another topic I've been thinking about. I was reading some older threads and came across Martin Gero's post after Siege 3 where he says a hug is sometimes just a hug. And then in the commentary he goes on a long speech about how the hug is not shippy. Flash forward a season and you've got him on the Sunday commentary explaining that Teyla's crush could be John. Those 2 events made me think about how very odd it is that he needed to explain both of those. If they were clear on screen, then you wouldn't need to explain it.

Edit to add - Sparks of Atlantis - I'm sorry I didn't respond to your discussion item. It was just way too deep for my brain to process at the moment.
    And don't forget that at the time, Gero actually came on GW to explain away the hug. The reaction here was so huge, we actually overloaded the servers and crashed the site. Evidently, that sent TPTB into a panic, and they sent Gero out to explain himself. Most of us didn't buy it. It was amazing to me how that reaction seemed to surprise them.

And on Sunday. MG did indeed point out 3 places that set up the Sheyla ship, Teyla confessing a crush, the talk between John and Ronon, and believe it or not, when John went to see her in the infirmary and helped her walk.

You're not the only one who wonders why that had to be explained to those of us with eyes. Maybe they thought we would say, "Oh, thanks so much for clearing that up. So I guess I have to believe you and not my own two eyes."

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
    Excuse me, the crush Teyla is talking about on “Sunday” (will use spoiler tags because this might get long )
    Spoiler:
    is Kanaan! If we do the math it is the appropriate moment for us to be starting to listen about their relationship, no way she would be talking about another person then when a few months later it happened what it did.

To me “Sunday” is full of subtext messages. And that guy who appeared from nowhere in front of Elizabeth was nothing more than an excuse to allow Elizabeth to talk about what was really going on with her in what regarded her feelings towards the one she wants but can’t have. They had to find a way to make her talk about possible relationships and of course they couldn’t have done it by having her talking about these matters with John directly because if not it would be too obvious. So they had to bring someone that would be in a similar situation, being someone who worked for her and that would discuss books with her, like i always assume John does, at least in what concerns “War and Peace”. I just love when Elizabeth is talking with “this guy” about a book and he, in a way, makes her admit that a man and a woman can’t be friends.

The same happens with the conversation between Ronon and John, i mean that conversation makes us learn more about John in what concerns serious relationships, and it also makes us assume that everyone thinks John and Teyla are interested in one another, but we see perfectly clear that such thing has never crossed John’s mind. And the fact they cut the conversation in the exact moment John was talking about having no one in Atlantis that really interested him, tells me a lot.

There is something more that bothers me in Sunday, the fact that they are actually capable of making Carson even more adorable on this episode. They really dared to show us how dear Carson is to everyone, and that was really unfair.

As for the hug in “Siege 3”, well if a hug is just a hug then a kiss is just a kiss (Conversion). Only a blind person can not see that the hug meant quite a lot, otherwise why was John almost speechless when it happened?! Besides as far as i can remember i have never heard of any boss hugging a subordinate on a well done assignment. LOL Now a person kissing someone, as the way John did in Conversion, that is quite common and we all know that kisses on those situations mean nothing.

Oh my gosh, the rescue is becoming quite dangerous!!!! Who would have thought that a planet called “Photo Album” would have such dangerous aspects. Looks can be deceiving, LOL!!!

Sparks of Atlantis, I have to admit that i tried to answer your questions, but once i red the draft i had written i realized that i am not capable of articulating my ideas in a non confusing way, so i am sorry but i think i will pass on this one. It is way too deep for my confused brain. But i look forward to read your ideas about it.
    You're making way too much sense. I remember thinking at the time, way before we ever heard of Kanaan, that Teyla must be talking about one of her people. I base this on the fact that when her friend said "You know him better than I do", Teyla said "Well I should hope so." Now most people who think it was John interpret that as meaning that she would know John better. I guess that makes sense. And when Hewston offered to have someone drop hints to him, she could have been talking about asking Rodney to talk to John because she worked for him. See how that makes sense if you want it to? Now the part that doesn't make sense is that she turns up pregnant just a few months later. They never have been able to explain that without making Teyla look bad.

The John/Ronon conversation could have been explained a number of ways. Ronon was checking to see if Teyla might be available because he was interested. John said what he did because he didn't know Teyla liked him. Remember that he never sees it coming. He also didn't say he wasn't interested in anyone. He said "there really isn't anyone here who...you know." Now you could take this to mean there's no one he's interested in or that there's no one he can be with because of rules. They really left it up for interpretation, yet Gero seems to think it was clear.

I hated that whole scene because it was like a slumber party for 12 year old girls. Guys don't talk like that. Do they? Surely not.

It was also said that John was speechless when Elizabeth hugged him because he was shocked and offended. So, as you see, there are a number of ways to look at all these scenes. What seems obvious to us is based on the fact that we like them together. Those who hate the idea saw it differently.

I wish you would share your ideas on existentialism. It has to make more sense than what I wrote.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

SR you are cracking me up. Makes me wonder what I could do with my Field OPS Weir and Garrison uniform Sheppard.

Jealous of the office ... mine is still a work in progress.
      Last edited by Soulster; 14 February 2013, 09:55 AM.
      To succeed in life, you need 3 things ... a Wishbone, a Backbone and a Funny Bone

Comment

Originally posted by Soulster View Post
        SR you are cracking me up. Makes me wonder what I could do with my Field OPS Weir and Garrison uniform Sheppard.

Well, what are you waiting for? Get busy with your own action figure production.

My office has evolved over the years, believe me. You should see Mr SR's office in what used to be SR Jr's room. Well, I'll just show you. Don't go anywhere.
        sigpic

Comment

Okay, here we go. It looks like the control room on the mother ship, complete with his dragon collection and all his toys. He even has a little fridge. LOL

Those shelves and cabinets in the first one are in what used to be the closet.

Spoiler:

sigpic

Comment

Wow, SR. I think Mr. SR has me out-geeked.

Comment

Wow, SR. I think Mr. SR has me out-geeked.
              He's been a geek for a lot longer.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                That was interesting. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm here to enjoy Sparky. We have managed to keep this thread alive for years by being nice, making this a thread that follows the proper netiquette and encouraging intelligent discussion. There has seldom been much drama around here because we practice common sense and don't tolerate prima donnas.
                Exactly why I like hanging around here...

I don't have a Wraith action figure, so they're safe. But there's no tellin' what might happen next.
                I have a Wraith, but no Sheppard. I have an Elizabeth and a Vala, but no Teyla... (and they never made a Kate so I can't even do a heroic saving there either).

Oh, and I have a gate...

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                I hear ketchup's good for blood.
                I second this.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/southernred/rescueday3_zps064e9153.jpg
                Elizabeth thinking: "Oh dear, should I go and save him instead... Nah, I'll let him have his moment."

Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I saw this on FB it is too cute not share

sigpic
                  My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                  poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

And on Sunday. MG did indeed point out 3 places that set up the Sheyla ship, Teyla confessing a crush, the talk between John and Ronon, and believe it or not, when John went to see her in the infirmary and helped her walk.
                    The fact they had to come to explain the allegedly shippy scenes means that they were not being that obvious about it.

(Oh gosh I will begin talking quite a lot again, so I will use spoiler tags once more. )

Spoiler:

Teyla could have been confessing a crush about anyone in Atlantis, Ronon for example.

The talk between John and Ronon, as I have mentioned before, had the opposite effect in me, it clearly told me that John never thought about Teyla “that way” in spite of everyone else seem to be thinking otherwise.

Well, I admit that following the events from “Echoes”, the one going to pick up Teyla on the infirmary should have been Ronon and not John, but the look John gives Elizabeth, after she delivers her speech, tells me that the infirmary scene didn’t mean anything more than a friend going to pick up another friend so that both could go together to the wake of a beloved friend.

And what about that time that Teyla could have gone play golf with John and Ronon and instead she preferred to excuse herself saying that she had reports to write. What a lame excuse for someone who is allegedly having a crush on that particular person.

You're making way too much sense. I remember thinking at the time, way before we ever heard of Kanaan, that Teyla must be talking about one of her people. I base this on the fact that when her friend said "You know him better than I do", Teyla said "Well I should hope so."
                    Yeah, I truly believe she is talking about someone from her people, because she says something like “the ways of my people” and if you think of the future events of season 4, this sentence here makes a lot of sense. It is like if she wanted something, I am guessing the acknowledge of the other person (Kanaan)’s feelings, to happen faster, maybe, I don’t know, like people from Earth and that’s why she says “the ways of my people” are not like exactly the same as the ways from Earth.

The John/Ronon conversation could have been explained a number of ways. Ronon was checking to see if Teyla might be available because he was interested.
                    Absolutely. Ronon could have been checking to see if John was interested in Teyla.

John said what he did because he didn't know Teyla liked him. Remember that he never sees it coming.
                    Exactly, John had no clue that Teyla had a crush on him, not that I believe that she did.

He also didn't say he wasn't interested in anyone. He said "there really isn't anyone here who...you know."
                    Yes, John ends up not acknowledging whether he is interested in someone or not, the conversation is stopped by the explosion, when he was about to say something about that. That’s why I believe that having him saying nothing is like if he was saying quite a lot. And it especially says that he didn’t have any interest in Teyla, because if not he would have said so when Ronon asked him about them.

Now you could take this to mean there's no one he's interested in or that there's no one he can be with because of rules. They really left it up for interpretation,
                    Exactly!!! One can interpret that interrupted sentence on many different ways. It didn’t exactly mean that he was saying he was not interested in someone. I totally agree!

I hated that whole scene because it was like a slumber party for 12 year old girls. Guys don't talk like that. Do they? Surely not.
                    Guys would talk about other subjects and never about who they are having a crush, that’s girls’ talk, you are right. But I can’t say that I totally hated it, I mean we were able to get some more info about John’s romantic situation, at least it was clear he was not dating anyone, right? I mean I would have loved to have been able to figure out between the lines that he was dating someone, if you know what I mean, but at least we know he is still available and probably in that situation because of the rules.

It was also said that John was speechless when Elizabeth hugged him because he was shocked and offended. So, as you see, there are a number of ways to look at all these scenes. What seems obvious to us is based on the fact that we like them together. Those who hate the idea saw it differently.
                    But it was not only the fact John was speechless that made the hug look special, there was something on the way that scene was made that definitely tell us much more. Have you tried watching that scene in slow motion? I assure you, it tells you quite a lot!!!! John feeling offended on that occasion?! I am sorry, if we look at John then, we see everything there in his expression, everything but a sign of someone who is offended about something. He might be feeling surprised, scared because he was caught off guard, but I see no feeling of him being offended by the hug, far from it. I see someone who was not used to being hugged, in that special way at least, and that was also wondering why did he deserve that hug then.

I wish you would share your ideas on existentialism. It has to make more sense than what I wrote.
                    Well I still have the draft I wrote, let’s see how I will feel about it on the weekend, when I will have more time. But then don’t tell me you didn’t understand anything, because I have warned you. And for the record, I doubt I can ever make more sense than you in what comes to articulate ideas.
                    sigpic
                    sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Originally posted by Brie View Post
                      SR, love the look of your desk, the classic dark brown look have always been among my favorites.
                      Hi Brie! Missed you around. I also love the classic dark brown look. I recently inherited my parents dark brown bedroom furniture and it's so beautiful and classic.

And don't forget that at the time, Gero actually came on GW to explain away the hug. The reaction here was so huge, we actually overloaded the servers and crashed the site. Evidently, that sent TPTB into a panic, and they sent Gero out to explain himself. Most of us didn't buy it. It was amazing to me how that reaction seemed to surprise them.

You're not the only one who wonders why that had to be explained to those of us with eyes. Maybe they thought we would say, "Oh, thanks so much for clearing that up. So I guess I have to believe you and not my own two eyes."
                      And that brings up the fact that 99% of fans don't listen to commentaries or visit online forums. So really, things should be clear ON SCREEN.

Originally posted by Soulster View Post

Please make your own adventures!!

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
                      The fact they had to come to explain the allegedly shippy scenes means that they were not being that obvious about it.

(Oh gosh I will begin talking quite a lot again, so I will use spoiler tags once more. )

Spoiler:

Teyla could have been confessing a crush about anyone in Atlantis, Ronon for example.

The talk between John and Ronon, as I have mentioned before, had the opposite effect in me, it clearly told me that John never thought about Teyla “that way” in spite of everyone else seem to be thinking otherwise.

Well, I admit that following the events from “Echoes”, the one going to pick up Teyla on the infirmary should have been Ronon and not John, but the look John gives Elizabeth, after she delivers her speech, tells me that the infirmary scene didn’t mean anything more than a friend going to pick up another friend so that both could go together to the wake of a beloved friend.

And what about that time that Teyla could have gone play golf with John and Ronon and instead she preferred to excuse herself saying that she had reports to write. What a lame excuse for someone who is allegedly having a crush on that particular person.

Yeah, I truly believe she is talking about someone from her people, because she says something like “the ways of my people” and if you think of the future events of season 4, this sentence here makes a lot of sense. It is like if she wanted something, I am guessing the acknowledge of the other person (Kanaan)’s feelings, to happen faster, maybe, I don’t know, like people from Earth and that’s why she says “the ways of my people” are not like exactly the same as the ways from Earth.

Absolutely. Ronon could have been checking to see if John was interested in Teyla.

Exactly, John had no clue that Teyla had a crush on him, not that I believe that she did.

Yes, John ends up not acknowledging whether he is interested in someone or not, the conversation is stopped by the explosion, when he was about to say something about that. That’s why I believe that having him saying nothing is like if he was saying quite a lot. And it especially says that he didn’t have any interest in Teyla, because if not he would have said so when Ronon asked him about them.

Exactly!!! One can interpret that interrupted sentence on many different ways. It didn’t exactly mean that he was saying he was not interested in someone. I totally agree!

Guys would talk about other subjects and never about who they are having a crush, that’s girls’ talk, you are right. But I can’t say that I totally hated it, I mean we were able to get some more info about John’s romantic situation, at least it was clear he was not dating anyone, right? I mean I would have loved to have been able to figure out between the lines that he was dating someone, if you know what I mean, but at least we know he is still available and probably in that situation because of the rules.

But it was not only the fact John was speechless that made the hug look special, there was something on the way that scene was made that definitely tell us much more. Have you tried watching that scene in slow motion? I assure you, it tells you quite a lot!!!! John feeling offended on that occasion?! I am sorry, if we look at John then, we see everything there in his expression, everything but a sign of someone who is offended about something. He might be feeling surprised, scared because he was caught off guard, but I see no feeling of him being offended by the hug, far from it. I see someone who was not used to being hugged, in that special way at least, and that was also wondering why did he deserve that hug then.

Well I still have the draft I wrote, let’s see how I will feel about it on the weekend, when I will have more time. But then don’t tell me you didn’t understand anything, because I have warned you. And for the record, I doubt I can ever make more sense than you in what comes to articulate ideas.
                      In terms of the episode as a whole, it makes sense for the crush to be Carson. Teyla's story is the only one that doesn't involve Carson in a non-professional way. So if the crush was Carson, it brings everyone's stories together.

But it's easy to ret-con it to be Kanaan.

Comment

I saw Rising again today... pretty sure I've shipped them from this episode. Well, by the end of it anyway. Maybe from the scene where they are trying to plan a rescue.
                        Last edited by Morgania; 14 February 2013, 03:26 PM.
                        sigpic
                        Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Something else to think about. Will respond later

And ditto on the questions posed by Sparks of Atlantis. I am working on an answer but urgent RL things keep interrupting me.

Now, let's see where we left John in his attempt to rescue Elizabeth from the photo album planet. It seems he has had a bit of a setback. And we learn a few more things like the temp on this planet is a cozy 73°, and it appears to be guarded by a stern young man in a fancy uniform. Oh and what's that about "Menopause, the Musical?" What kind of place is this?

Spoiler:
                          I'm loving this SR!!!

Tune in next time to see what happens. Will John rescue Elizabeth or will he fall and have to what for Carson to put him back together for his next attempt to save his Elizabeth?
                          I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Oh, and another topic I've been thinking about. I was reading some older threads and came across Martin Gero's post after Siege 3 where he says a hug is sometimes just a hug. And then in the commentary he goes on a long speech about how the hug is not shippy. Flash forward a season and you've got him on the Sunday commentary explaining that Teyla's crush could be John. Those 2 events made me think about how very odd it is that he needed to explain both of those. If they were clear on screen, then you wouldn't need to explain it.
                            Makes you wonder why he felt the need to explain all of this, doesn't it?

Comment

Okay, here we go. It looks like the control room on the mother ship, complete with his dragon collection and all his toys. He even has a little fridge. LOL

Those shelves and cabinets in the first one are in what used to be the closet.

Spoiler:

I like MR. SR's office too. Especially the hand-and-a-half broadsword hanging on the wall.

Comment

Hi Brie! Missed you around. I also love the classic dark brown look. I recently inherited my parents dark brown bedroom furniture and it's so beautiful and classic.

And that brings up the fact that 99% of fans don't listen to commentaries or visit online forums. So really, things should be clear ON SCREEN.
                                That exactly. If what you see on screen is not what they think they are showing you, then something is wrong with the writing, the editing...

In terms of the episode as a whole, it makes sense for the crush to be Carson. Teyla's story is the only one that doesn't involve Carson in a non-professional way. So if the crush was Carson, it brings everyone's stories together.

But it's easy to ret-con it to be Kanaan.
                                That makes perfect sense and would have worked great. But it reminds me of the time after CM when one of TPTB said they had thought about having a hug between Teyla and Carson but after the reaction to the Sparky hug didn't want it to appear shippy.

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
                                I saw Rising again today... pretty sure I've shipped them from this episode. Well, by the end of it anyway. Maybe from the scene where they are trying to plan a rescue.
                                Hello and welcome. It was pretty clear right from the start, wasn't it?

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                                I like MR. SR's office too. Especially the hand-and-a-half broadsword hanging on the wall.
                                He bought that sword when we were in Spain and had it shipped home. I think it's a replica of one of the LOTR swords, but I don't remember which one.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X