Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    Thanks guys. It looks like John is making progress toward rescuing Elizabeth. Hope he's careful up there.

Spoiler:
    You're welcome. I wouldn't worry about John pulling off a rescue, especially when it's Elizabeth. Of course the Wraith could show up at any moment. You never know what Todd will need John to help him with.
    I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
      You're welcome. I wouldn't worry about John pulling off a rescue, especially when it's Elizabeth. Of course the Wraith could show up at any moment. You never know what Todd will need John to help him with.
      I don't have a Wraith action figure, so they're safe. But there's no tellin' what might happen next.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
        What do you think SR has in store next for our action figures, John?

I have no idea. Hopefully she isn't a whumper.
        I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

I don't have a Wraith action figure, so they're safe. But there's no tellin' what might happen next.
          Then I suppose it's just as well that I'm not putting on this round of Action Figure Theatre, since I've got all three of the Wraith figures.

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
          What do you think SR has in store next for our action figures, John?

I have no idea. Hopefully she isn't a whumper.
          I hear ketchup's good for blood.
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I just wanna say that I love you guys and this thread! (I pretty much only play here these days, aside from a random post here and there on other threads)

Sparky is awesome! *hugs*
            My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
              Then I suppose it's just as well that I'm not putting on this round of Action Figure Theatre, since I've got all three of the Wraith figures.

I hear ketchup's good for blood.
              I could use some competition. We can have a contest for best action figure drama.

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
              I just wanna say that I love you guys and this thread! (I pretty much only play here these days, aside from a random post here and there on other threads)

Awww, thanks. It's always good to be reminded how awesome we are. This is my safe haven too. I haven't been as active lately as I used to be for various reasons, but now I'm ready for some good discussion.

And later we'll see how the rescue is progressing.
              sigpic

Comment

Hello everyone!

Have been busy on the last couple of days. But it seems that i am still in time of witnessing a daring rescue!!! Go John, go!!!! I am hoping for a happy ending!
                sigpic
                sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

With our post-a-thon about to be Sunday, can we discuss how lame that episode is?

First off, the lame "not-quite-John" guy who came out of nowhere to romance Elizabeth, and then went right back to nowhere, never to be seen again.

Comment

Oh, and another topic I've been thinking about. I was reading some older threads and came across Martin Gero's post after Siege 3 where he says a hug is sometimes just a hug. And then in the commentary he goes on a long speech about how the hug is not shippy. Flash forward a season and you've got him on the Sunday commentary explaining that Teyla's crush could be John. Those 2 events made me think about how very odd it is that he needed to explain both of those. If they were clear on screen, then you wouldn't need to explain it.

Edit to add - Sparks of Atlantis - I'm sorry I didn't respond to your discussion item. It was just way too deep for my brain to process at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                      Oh, and another topic I've been thinking about. I was reading some older threads and came across Martin Gero's post after Siege 3 where he says a hug is sometimes just a hug. And then in the commentary he goes on a long speech about how the hug is not shippy. Flash forward a season and you've got him on the Sunday commentary explaining that Teyla's crush could be John. Those 2 events made me think about how very odd it is that he needed to explain both of those. If they were clear on screen, then you wouldn't need to explain it.

Edit to add - Sparks of Atlantis - I'm sorry I didn't respond to your discussion item. It was just way too deep for my brain to process at the moment.
                      Something else to think about. Will respond later

And ditto on the questions posed by Sparks of Atlantis. I am working on an answer but urgent RL things keep interrupting me.

Now, let's see where we left John in his attempt to rescue Elizabeth from the photo album planet. It seems he has had a bit of a setback. And we learn a few more things like the temp on this planet is a cozy 73°, and it appears to be guarded by a stern young man in a fancy uniform. Oh and what's that about "Menopause, the Musical?" What kind of place is this?

Spoiler:
                      sigpic

Comment

OMG, SR that is freaking hilarious!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

We love you too, and Sparky is totally awesome! *hugs you back*

I could use some competition. We can have a contest for best action figure drama.
                          Oh dear, I'll have to come up with a story...

With our post-a-thon about to be Sunday, can we discuss how lame that episode is?

First off, the lame "not-quite-John" guy who came out of nowhere to romance Elizabeth, and then went right back to nowhere, never to be seen again.
                          Lame is right. Beard Guy? EPIC. FAIL.

Especially considering that what was on screen was a lot clearer to the audience than the hastily thrown-together "explanation."

But it's like we always say. Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Take that, naysayers!

Something else to think about. Will respond later

And ditto on the questions posed by Sparks of Atlantis. I am working on an answer but urgent RL things keep interrupting me.

Now, let's see where we left John in his attempt to rescue Elizabeth from the photo album planet. It seems he has had a bit of a setback. And we learn a few more things like the temp on this planet is a cozy 73°, and it appears to be guarded by a stern young man in a fancy uniform. Oh and what's that about "Menopause, the Musical?" What kind of place is this?

OMG, talk about hanging on by a thread! AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
                          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Now for an attempt at answering Sparks of Atlantis's very good questions.

1. How would John approach these teachings, taking into account all that he has witnessed and been through?

2. In what ways does he believe his life has meaning?

3. John gained an incredible second chance when he made the choice to step through the gate for the first time, yet he has suffered so many losses since then. Therefore, why does he continue to struggle?

4. Does he believe that the "process" is more important than the "product"?

5. What choices were difficult for him to make... and what choices did he regret not making, keeping in mind the ramifications of making or not making those choices?

6. Is there anything that he may have believed was unfair and reflected how the world was hostile, indifferent to his existence, and uncaring about what happened to him or to others around him?

First of all, don’t worry if you don’t thoroughly understand Existentialism. Nobody does, not even those who claim to follow it. In fact if you put 2 existentialists together in a room, they’ll end up arguing about whether the room has ever actually existed, if they exist and who existed first. All the -isms you have to study are like that. I have to say I’m surprised and a bit dismayed that they are teaching this in high school. It’s way too advanced and makes me wonder what they are skipping to cover this.

Now on to John. I don’t think he would take existentialism very seriously. If he thought life had no meaning, he probably wouldn’t have come on the trip. Why bother? And he certainly would not have tried so hard to keep everyone safe, defeat the Wraith and various other bad guys. In fact, he would have been more likely not to see them as bad guys but just as another life form doing what comes naturally. His attitude toward the people in Epiphany was very flippant, even to the point of calling them “pansy wannabes” which tells me that he didn’t buy into their navel gazing lifestyle and lack of direction.

If John had not always had a strong sense of what was right for him, he would not have been able to defy his father the way he did. His core values seem to have been formed at a young age. Mallozzi hinted in his blog that they wanted to explore his mother’s death and how that was a huge factor in explaining John. I’m sorry they never got a chance to do that. For example, would an existentialist have such a strong reaction to being abandoned? Would he even care? Wouldn’t he have embraced his new life with the hippies and immersed himself in it rather than working constantly to change them. Judging by some of the scenes in Epiphany, It was almost like he had been lecturing them the whole time he was there.

John thinks his life has meaning because he has found his place. He has friends who depend on him and on whom he depends. He has a job that he is good at, and even though his relationship with his superiors is sometimes tenuous, he is confident in his decisions and does what he thinks is right. He has an amazing sense of right and wrong which is reflected in his decisions.

John’s military training, which seems to be way beyond that of an ordinary pilot, determines a lot of his decisions, but he still does what his own moral code tells him is right, no matter the consequences. In the pilot he told Elizabeth that she should let him go rescue their people because it was the right thing to do, which illustrates his black and white code of ethics. Yet, as in Miller’s Crossing, when it comes to making a difficult ethically-challenged decision, John does it without a lot of reflection and second guessing. Aside from this, John wrestles with his past failures, particularly when it comes to losing people he felt responsible for. That is what gives him nightmares and causes him to continue to struggle. He takes every failure personally.

I don’t think he believes the process is more important than the product, just the opposite. John will do whatever has to be done to save people as long as it’s only his own life that is in danger. He will kill evil people when he believes it is necessary, and sometimes he takes that burden on himself rather than leave it to others.

I’m not sure how to answer the last question. I doubt he sees life as being unfair, but he sees some people as doing unfair things, and when possible, he steps up to change that. He speaks up to Woolsey when he is critical of Elizabeth and gets very agitated to the point of talking to her about it. She recognizes how uncharacteristic this is and calls him on it, which makes him a bit sheepish. He can sometimes be too trusting. His initial trust of the Athosians without knowing them comes to mind, and he is stubborn to the point of refusing to admit he’s wrong. Hot Zone is an example.

But, overall, John is much too engaged, proactive and reactive to buy into Existentialism or any of those other -isms that require too much introspection.

I hope this makes sense. I don’t think I answered all your questions, but this pretty much sums up the ideas you put forward.
                            sigpic

Comment

Excuse me, the crush Teyla is talking about on “Sunday” (will use spoiler tags because this might get long )
                              Spoiler:
                              is Kanaan! If we do the math it is the appropriate moment for us to be starting to listen about their relationship, no way she would be talking about another person then when a few months later it happened what it did.

To me “Sunday” is full of subtext messages. And that guy who appeared from nowhere in front of Elizabeth was nothing more than an excuse to allow Elizabeth to talk about what was really going on with her in what regarded her feelings towards the one she wants but can’t have. They had to find a way to make her talk about possible relationships and of course they couldn’t have done it by having her talking about these matters with John directly because if not it would be too obvious. So they had to bring someone that would be in a similar situation, being someone who worked for her and that would discuss books with her, like i always assume John does, at least in what concerns “War and Peace”. I just love when Elizabeth is talking with “this guy” about a book and he, in a way, makes her admit that a man and a woman can’t be friends.

The same happens with the conversation between Ronon and John, i mean that conversation makes us learn more about John in what concerns serious relationships, and it also makes us assume that everyone thinks John and Teyla are interested in one another, but we see perfectly clear that such thing has never crossed John’s mind. And the fact they cut the conversation in the exact moment John was talking about having no one in Atlantis that really interested him, tells me a lot.

There is something more that bothers me in Sunday, the fact that they are actually capable of making Carson even more adorable on this episode. They really dared to show us how dear Carson is to everyone, and that was really unfair.

As for the hug in “Siege 3”, well if a hug is just a hug then a kiss is just a kiss (Conversion). Only a blind person can not see that the hug meant quite a lot, otherwise why was John almost speechless when it happened?! Besides as far as i can remember i have never heard of any boss hugging a subordinate on a well done assignment. LOL Now a person kissing someone, as the way John did in Conversion, that is quite common and we all know that kisses on those situations mean nothing.

Oh my gosh, the rescue is becoming quite dangerous!!!! Who would have thought that a planet called “Photo Album” would have such dangerous aspects. Looks can be deceiving, LOL!!!

Sparks of Atlantis, I have to admit that i tried to answer your questions, but once i red the draft i had written i realized that i am not capable of articulating my ideas in a non confusing way, so i am sorry but i think i will pass on this one. It is way too deep for my confused brain. But i look forward to read your ideas about it.
                              sigpic
                              sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Hello everyone! It’s been such a crazy week that I haven’t had the time to stop by here until today.

I can say that I originally came here because I was a fan of Sparky and that this was also such a great and friendly thread just made it better and made me want to stay.

I signed up to do a daily fic challenge and have written a couple different kinds of fics....for yesterday's prompt, I wrote this sparky crack!fic (mostly gratuitous smut)...it's not my best because I was hurrying to get it posted before the deadline....(the prompt was poison and I was in a giddy mood so my mind took it to a strange place)
                                I loved your fic, it was just what I needed today.

SR, love the look of your desk, the classic dark brown look have always been among my favorites.

Also love the idea with the Sparky action figures, especially the last pictures with John climbing because it reminds me of his climbing from ‘Quarantine’.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X