Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
    Well the music sure is something. How far did you make it into the film?
    it's different every time...I make it a little bit further each time I see it. My sister's a fan so she makes me watch with her
    My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
      Yeah I think I'm with SR on this one. I almost can't wrap my head around someone who is a sci-fi fantasy fan and doesn't like at least one version of Lord of the Rings. I mean, I've never read the books and it's my understanding that they are kind of hard to read and that The Fellowship of the Rings starts off incredibly slowly, but still...

Wow, I didn't notice this until today. That's kind of Awesome.
      Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
      I read the books years and years ago. I much preferred The Hobbit. It didn't drag like the trilogy and wasn't so sad. I've never watched the films. I don't watch a lot of films in any case, but I couldn't see devoting the hours to a story that I really didn't like all that much.
      You people are killing me. I weep for you. Mr. SR and I have each read all of the books at least twice. I took a class in college in "Science Fiction and Fantasy" that had me read and write papers on the trilogy. Heaven. I was in heaven. I wrote about the Ents, and the professor said I displayed "Elven logic." I don't think that was meant as a compliment, but I can't be sure. Oh, and I read The Hobbit to SR Jr. when he was little and he has also read the trilogy several times.

That said, both my men read those long Fantasy epics like the Wheel of Time series, which I tried but could only get through about 3 of the books before giving up. So, I understand if you don't go for that kind of stuff, you won't like it.

Now tell me what do you guys like to read? It better not be Twilight.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        You people are killing me. I weep for you. Mr. SR and I have each read all of the books at least twice. I took a class in college in "Science Fiction and Fantasy" that had me read and write papers on the trilogy. Heaven. I was in heaven. I wrote about the Ents, and the professor said I displayed "Elven logic." I don't think that was meant as a compliment, but I can't be sure. Oh, and I read The Hobbit to SR Jr. when he was little and he has also read the trilogy several times.

That said, both my men read those long Fantasy epics like the Wheel of Time series, which I tried but could only get through about 3 of the books before giving up. So, I understand if you don't go for that kind of stuff, you won't like it.

Now tell me what do you guys like to read? It better not be Twilight.
        I did read Twilight - but only once and only because my niece was reading it and i thought at least one of us should be a responsible adult and know what she was reading it. we agree that Bella is pathetic and vampires shouldn't sparkle oh and that we could've written the story way better

I'm currently reading "Beautiful Creatures" and an indie book called "Red Dawn" (I'm going to to be writing a review for that one...I've joined a group on facebook to read and review books).

My tastes are of course eclectic, just like with everything else....I like YA fantasy novels, anything with Vampires is a good bet for me. Stephen King, JK Rowling, Nora Roberts (guilty pleasure reading). I just downloaded "Les Miserables" as I love the show and realized I never read the book. It took me forever, but I made it through "Mists of Avalon" and intend to read it again someday. I also started reading the book series that "Rizzoli and Isles" is based on. Sherrilyn Kenyon had me hooked for a summer. I've made my way through the "House of Night" series and am waiting for the next book. My eldest wants to read "Of Mice and Men" and I never have but want to pre-read before he does to make sure he's mature enough and ready for it (he's 8, in 3rd grade, but reads on a 6th/7th grade level).

I'm also doing the "Purpose Driven Life" challenge right now and plan on reading the "One Year Bible" at some point...

like I said, eclectic....and I may revisit LOTR again at some point...especially if my boys decide they want to read it.

I couldn't get into the Wheel of Time series either....
        My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
        sigpic

Comment

I read all sorts of things. My favorite authors are McCaffrey (sci fi and fantasy), Cussler (adventure), Cornwell (crime drama), Cook (medical drama), Azimov (sci fi), Clarke (sci fi), Verne (sci fi). I've read lots of other authors that I've enjoyed two or three of their books, but I'll read anything (even a grocery list!) by these folks. Oh, and of course the HP series.

I just felt that Tolkein could have moved things along a bit better in LotR. It tended to drown under its own weight. The Hobbit was much more satisfying to me. I've not seen the film of it.
          sigpic

Comment

I have only read the LOTR books once and liked them even if they are not all that easy to read and that it took a while to get through them. The movies though are among my all-time favorite movies, I have seen them so many times I’ve lost track. And ‘The Hobbit’ was great as well. My favorite part about Sci-Fi and Fantasy (whether it’s books, movies or TV-shows) have always been that they allows you to get away from reality for a while and just let you go on an adventure in this other place and LOTR is defiantly about that and the movies may be long but for me time just flew by when I saw them.

I like the books you mentioned drewandian and Nolamom, I’ve read some of them myself and love them.

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
            Oh, me too!! I also love Vala, she is so funny, LOL! I also liked the Ori plot.
            I really liked the Ori plot as well, I thought it was interesting and a great way to get back to the story of the ancient in the SG-1 universe. I did miss Jack in the last two seasons though (even if I liked Cameron), that was the down side.
            sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday and S-minus 4 hours and 30 minutes until the Irresistible Irresponsible post-a-thon! Might want to bring alcohol for this crack-fest.
              (ETA: Clearly, I've been so traumatized by the Lucius episodes that they just blur together in some horrific mass of insanity that I can't even tell them apart.)
              Last edited by Scary Kitty; 20 January 2013, 12:12 PM.
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I won't be around for the crackfest that is Irr- 2.0... a) I forgot my DVD's, and b) I really have no desire to watch more Lucius.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I've read LOTR in English and in five different translations (all into the same language, though). Hah! No one can out-nerd me!!! But I have to admit, Silmarillion is still nothing more than a pretty weight on my shelf. I haven't been able to get through it so far... Honestly, I don't think LOTR is difficult to read. Sure, the long chapters on Hobbit or Elves history may seem a bit daunting, but if you skip them (blasphemy!) and focus on the main story, it is actually very easy and pleasant to read. I actually like the 'slow' beginning of FOTR the book much better than the rushed events of the FOTR movie - the book conveyed the sense of lingering threat so much better, not to mention the bond between the four Hobbits.

And I have to join the chorus of appreciation for the movies' music. Favorite soundtrack ever.

Comment

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
                    I did read Twilight - but only once and only because my niece was reading it and i thought at least one of us should be a responsible adult and know what she was reading it. we agree that Bella is pathetic and vampires shouldn't sparkle oh and that we could've written the story way better

I'm currently reading "Beautiful Creatures" and an indie book called "Red Dawn" (I'm going to to be writing a review for that one...I've joined a group on facebook to read and review books).

My tastes are of course eclectic, just like with everything else....I like YA fantasy novels, anything with Vampires is a good bet for me. Stephen King, JK Rowling, Nora Roberts (guilty pleasure reading). I just downloaded "Les Miserables" as I love the show and realized I never read the book. It took me forever, but I made it through "Mists of Avalon" and intend to read it again someday. I also started reading the book series that "Rizzoli and Isles" is based on. Sherrilyn Kenyon had me hooked for a summer. I've made my way through the "House of Night" series and am waiting for the next book. My eldest wants to read "Of Mice and Men" and I never have but want to pre-read before he does to make sure he's mature enough and ready for it (he's 8, in 3rd grade, but reads on a 6th/7th grade level).

I'm also doing the "Purpose Driven Life" challenge right now and plan on reading the "One Year Bible" at some point...

like I said, eclectic....and I may revisit LOTR again at some point...especially if my boys decide they want to read it.

I couldn't get into the Wheel of Time series either....
                    That's a good eclectic mix. You are forgiven for any LOTR related transgressions.

I think you will find that your son is a bit young for Of Mice and Men. Maybe steer him toward things with a vocabulary and plot more on his level. Take a look at the Newberry Award list for some books that might interest him. It is hard to keep on top of an advanced reader. Their little minds get way ahead of their maturity level. I've found that the Newberry books are very well-written and age appropriate. Yay for him.

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                    I read all sorts of things. My favorite authors are McCaffrey (sci fi and fantasy), Cussler (adventure), Cornwell (crime drama), Cook (medical drama), Azimov (sci fi), Clarke (sci fi), Verne (sci fi). I've read lots of other authors that I've enjoyed two or three of their books, but I'll read anything (even a grocery list!) by these folks. Oh, and of course the HP series.

I just felt that Tolkein could have moved things along a bit better in LotR. It tended to drown under its own weight. The Hobbit was much more satisfying to me. I've not seen the film of it.
                    We have similar taste in books. I love all the ones you mentioned.

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
                    I've read LOTR in English and in five different translations (all into the same language, though). Hah! No one can out-nerd me!!! But I have to admit, Silmarillion is still nothing more than a pretty weight on my shelf. I haven't been able to get through it so far... Honestly, I don't think LOTR is difficult to read. Sure, the long chapters on Hobbit or Elves history may seem a bit daunting, but if you skip them (blasphemy!) and focus on the main story, it is actually very easy and pleasant to read. I actually like the 'slow' beginning of FOTR the book much better than the rushed events of the FOTR movie - the book conveyed the sense of lingering threat so much better, not to mention the bond between the four Hobbits.

And I have to join the chorus of appreciation for the movies' music. Favorite soundtrack ever.
                    I read Silmarillion just because but don't remember a thing about it. I also love all the exposition in the books.

Yay, book club. I love it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                      Heh. Yeah, we rather liked it too. Very poetic, them returning to the beginning, as it were.
                      A new beginning, return Atlantis to its origins and start all over again.

Originally posted by Brie View Post
                      I really liked the Ori plot as well, I thought it was interesting and a great way to get back to the story of the ancient in the SG-1 universe.
                      I agree. If probably they would have focused SG1 more on the Ancients and not so much on the Goual’d I would probably have watched it and liked it as much as I did Atlantis (or maybe not, Atlantis is quite unique for me!!!).

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                      Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday and S-minus 4 hours and 30 minutes until the Irresistible post-a-thon! Might want to bring alcohol for this crack-fest.
                      I will be here.
                      sigpic
                      sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

i have read the hobbit, but only after seeing the movie in theaters

as for ugh stupid twilight, i did read all 4 books and agree with all of you that they suck
                        though the host by the same author is a million times better and is actually enjoyable
                        i own the host, which will be a movie coming out in march. the host will be a trilogy , there are no vampires or werewolves at all, no lovesick teenager, this one has aliens, and humans. it blends science fiction and romance that works very well in a futuristic world. and plus , it's cleaner then twilight and way better

Comment

I won't be around for the post-a-thon. Poor Kolya, though. He deserved better than dying spread out like a starfish in the B plot of a second Lucius storyline.

Comment

Originally posted by america126 View Post
                            i have read the hobbit, but only after seeing the movie in theaters

as for ugh stupid twilight, i did read all 4 books and agree with all of you that they suck
                            though the host by the same author is a million times better and is actually enjoyable
                            i own the host, which will be a movie coming out in march. the host will be a trilogy , there are no vampires or werewolves at all, no lovesick teenager, this one has aliens, and humans. it blends science fiction and romance that works very well in a futuristic world. and plus , it's cleaner then twilight and way better
                            We could read that better if it had some punctuation. Please help us out.
                            sigpic

Comment

I always liked reading, but I've also found it very hard to get through books. It usually takes me a long time. Although how fast I can get through them can vary dramatically. I remember one time it took me 3 years to get through this one Star Wars book, and then 3 weeks to get through the sequel. The description I was given about Lord of the Rings was that it's extremely heavy on describing things, which I think can be a little slog through.

I tend to read almost exclusively Sci-fi or fantasy. I have many Star Trek and Star Wars expanded universe novels, but have only read several out of a large library. I also have a few by Isaac Asimov and Arthur C Clarke. I remember enjoying the Foundation Trilogy. After the first three I could tell that it was initially supposed to be over with 3. I read I also began to read "Songs of a Distant Earth."

I used to love reading Harry Potter in Middle School, in fact they may have been the first big books I was able to get through, but was never able to get past Goblet of Fire.

I remember some of the most enjoyable books I read of the last while were some Warcraft novels of all things. I used to be super into the lore surrounding the Warcraft universe.

Most recently I actually read the non fiction book "Beware of Small States: Lebanon - Battleground of the Middle East." I probably read that faster than any book I've ever read because I found it so fascinating (and depressing). That may be because I have a personal interest in the subject matter though because half my family is from Lebanon.

Oh and I'm also reading some psychology self help books to deal with a specific condition I have.
                              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

S-minus 1 hour until Irresistible Irresponsible!
                                (ETA: Clearly, I've been so traumatized by the Lucius episodes that they just blur together in some horrific mass of insanity that I can't even tell them apart.)

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                I won't be around for the crackfest that is Irr- 2.0... a) I forgot my DVD's, and b) I really have no desire to watch more Lucius.
                                I don't think any of us wants to watch more Lucius.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                                I won't be around for the post-a-thon. Poor Kolya, though. He deserved better than dying spread out like a starfish in the B plot of a second Lucius storyline.
                                *snorts* Alas poor Kolya, we knew him well...
                                Last edited by Scary Kitty; 20 January 2013, 12:11 PM.
                                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Working...
                                X