Clear All

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
    Wow, awesome!!!!

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Ford looks pretty good in red.
    LOL

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
    ^ same. Spite for me too. It helped that it didn't air on tv here until much later, and even when it did it was in a much later timeslot. The fact that I watched through til the end of s1 was only due to me getting it out on dvd. If I were tuning in each week, it would have failed the 3ep test for me too.
    Actually season 2 of SGU just finished here on the first week of January, but I never watched any of the episodes, not even bits of this season.

That's an interesting point to watch from. IMO a lot of s7 was boring (not counting Heroes - one of the best episodes they've done, although I wish they hadn't done it) because it was exposition/setup for The Lost City, their season ender. Had I started from that point, it would have failed the 3ep test too
    I mainly watched all the episodes of SG1’s season 7, because I wanted to know what happened before Atlantis.

This is probably a bit judgmental, but they probably weren't as typecast as others were. I suspect they probably picked up smaller parts elsewhere. I think most people would recognise Ming Na from ER, not SGU.
    I am /was one of those people. I will always associate her to ER but never to SGU.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    I've watched all the Vala episodes (just loved her) and a smattering of others.
    Oh, me too!! I also love Vala, she is so funny, LOL! I also liked the Ori plot.

I'm going to shock everyone and admit I've never seen any of the LOTR movies or read any of the books.
    Same here.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
    No, it wasn't Rodney. Not when only a few episodes prior he'd gone out of his way to show his loyalty to her, and then went to extraordinary measures to save her life (which then lead to her getting captured, but I digress)
    Precisely!!! I just love the way Rodney showed his loyalty towards Elizabeth in FS, he really impressed me there.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Sounds like it was probably more speculation, rather than any known facts about S6/Extinction. The bit about Atlantis sticking around a while does seem plausible—the beginning of Extinction was supposed to show that Atlantis had been moved to the far side of the moon, which does seem to imply they had been there for a while.
    But would they have been able to stay for too long in the moon? I mean they would need the shield to be up and running all the time.

So much so that when he was trying to ascend or die, he wrote a 500-page book about her because he thought someone needed to stick up for her and all the good she did as leader of the expedition.
    Oh yeah, how could I have forgotten that!!!

Nice!!!

spoiler tags just to make the repost shorter
    Originally posted by Sparks of Atlantis View Post
    Interesting discussion about SG-1 and SGU.
    Spoiler:
    Unfortunately, I don't have anything I can really add, but it's nice to learn more about what was going on behind the scenes of those two shows and how they related to SGA. Like a couple of others commented, I wasn't attracted by the mythology of SG-1, which is why that show didn't appeal to me. From what I know, SGU also took on a completely darker tone, so while it was character-driven, I don't think that I would have enjoyed that show, either. But Atlantis was just... wow. Aside from a very diverse and very strong cast, I think that I was most impressed by the sense of adventure and wonder the city brought. The idea of uncovering the mysteries of the city and travelling off-world to meet new cultures was simply awe-inspiring, and there was a sense of comfort whenever off-world teams came back home to Atlantis at the end of the day. I like how Atlantis was home to the expedition.

Compared to SG-1, Atlantis doesn't really have a mythological background, so I also appreciated how everything about Atlantis was just... believable, you could say. I felt that everything in the show could happen in real life. It's a bit difficult to explain, but I can just imagine, in real life, that an expedition comprised of ordinary humans from Earth, be they scientists or military, travels to another galaxy to discover a lost technologically-advanced city. I say "ordinary humans" to emphasize that these were just normal people like us who just happened to place themselves in extraordinary circumstances. They didn't have any superpowers, only their own knowledge and wits that they used to help them survive. And that's also why the characters appealed to me, because the problems they encountered were so similar to those we deal with in our lives, and I've always felt that I could easily connect to and emphasize with them.
    Very well said, and I couldn’t agree more! Atlantis had (almost) everything! Atlantis had a good cast, I just loved the set of Atlantis, it was absolutely amazing, so beautiful! And the sense of adventure, the humour mixed with serious situations, I just loved it (among other things of course!!! ). I just think it was a real pity because they didn’t explore the city more.

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
    What pisses me off immensely is the fact that when the Stargate franchise is mentioned somewere in the press, it's SG-1 and SGU that are mentioned, and SGA gets ignored.
    Yeah!!! It seems that SGA is the “outcast” member of the “family”!

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    Me neither. Usually when someone leaves a show, I wonder what they did to get fired, if they are pregnant, or if it's some other reason. I would have thought that about Torri. I have friends who watched it but never went online. The husband in particular is a huge Sci Fi fan and they used to eat popcorn and have "SciFi friday" back in the day, She would email me and ask questions in S4-5 about what the hell was happening and tell me how mad her husband was. So, if that was a typical reaction, I'm thinking the casual fans weren't happy for the most part.
    Yeah, I am the same, when some actor/actress would usually leave a show I usually would think that it was because they didn’t want to continue anymore or because the actor/actress had some personal reason not to continue, I never imagined that they were actually “kicked out” the way Torri did. But from now on I will have to wonder about it!

It's the red-headed stepchild. And even when they mention it, it seems to be David Hewlett who gets all the attention. I love him, but he's not the only one on the show.
    I feel the same.

Originally posted by Brie View Post
    I especially liked a scene (that also really surprised me) and that was a scene with Sam and Vala in Landry’s office and for some reason he wasn’t there but Sam still felt uncomfortable so she sat down in one of the chairs in front of the desk but Vala being Vala sat down in the commanders chair behind the desk and says something like “This place should really have a woman in charge” and Sam replies “It did, back when Dr. Elizabeth Weir was in charge of the SGC” (it’s been a while since I saw those episodes of SG-1 so I don’t remember exactly what they said) but I was really surprised that they mentioned Elizabeth in that scene especially since they were so against bring her up on SGA later on.
    Yeah, I remember vaguely about this scene (I think I only watched this episode once, so) and I am guessing that, back then, they still liked Elizabeth, so they didn’t mind mentioning her.

David Hewlett may be getting more attention because he was the only one who was in all three Stargate shows, so he's more connected to the franchise as a whole. People who never watched SGA still know him from SG-1. Not that I disagree that others should also get attention.
    I am guessing there might be other reasons too. One of them being the fact Rodney seemed to always be the writers’ favourite character.
    sigpic
    sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Hi Pearl!
      sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
      https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
        Hi Pearl!
        Hi there, how are you doing?
        sigpic
        sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post

I am guessing there might be other reasons too. One of them being the fact Rodney seemed to always be the writers’ favourite character.
          Actually, I don't think Rodney's status with the writers was the reason for David Hewlett getting more attention from the press, unless we assume the writers somehow blackmailed the journalists into making DH their top priority interviewee. No, I genuinely think Hewlett gets interviewed more because he's the only one who had substantial screen-time on SG-1 so he's more associated with the Stargate franchise. After all, SG-1 is considered the 'main' Stargate show, and the other two are often completely dismissed (especially SGA). So Hewlett is simply more recognizable.

Although Torri should also be getting more attention for this reason she did appear on SG-1 before SGA came out, and her role was quite important.
          Last edited by Raelis; 19 January 2013, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Hi there, how are you doing?
            I'm doing great. Working on all of my stories.
            sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
            https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

All you people who don't like LOTR are dead to me. Just sayin'. I've been a fan of Tolkien since high school, when along with my nerdy friends read the books and wrote "Frodo lives" on our notebooks to annoy and confuse the jocks. We've waited lo these many years for a good movie treatment, and now we are in fantasy nerd heaven. We never thought we'd have to wait until we qualified for the senior discount.
              I tried really really hard to get into it but just can't get through the movie. And I am a huge fantasy/sci fi fan and love to read and couldn't get through the book (I even bought the whole series, thinking "woo hoo this is gonna be so much fun to read" and ended up giving them to my niece). But...but...I don't wanna be dead to you can you forgive me my transgression!?

Originally posted by Brie View Post
              I especially liked a scene (that also really surprised me) and that was a scene with Sam and Vala in Landry’s office and for some reason he wasn’t there but Sam still felt uncomfortable so she sat down in one of the chairs in front of the desk but Vala being Vala sat down in the commanders chair behind the desk and says something like “This place should really have a woman in charge” and Sam replies “It did, back when Dr. Elizabeth Weir was in charge of the SGC” (it’s been a while since I saw those episodes of SG-1 so I don’t remember exactly what they said) but I was really surprised that they mentioned Elizabeth in that scene especially since they were so against bring her up on SGA later on.

I remember this scene...and remember loving it when I saw it. I can't remember what ep it's from tho....
              My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
              sigpic

Comment

Actually, I don't think Rodney's status with the writers was the reason for David Hewlett getting more attention from the press, unless we assume the writers somehow blackmailed the journalists into making DH their top priority interviewee. No, I genuinely think Hewlett gets interviewed more because he's the only one who had substantial screen-time on SG-1 so he's more associated with the Stargate franchise. After all, SG-1 is considered the 'main' Stargate show, and the other two are often completely dismissed (especially SGA). So Hewlett is simply more recognizable.

Although Torri should also be getting more attention for this reason she did appear on SG-1 before SGA came out, and her role was quite important.
                Rodney being the writers’ favourite character allowed DH to have more screen time and because of that the focus of the journalists would be on him more. And that’s why Torri doesn’t have the same attention, because she was definitely not one of the favourites, although she also appeared in some episodes of SG1.

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
                I'm doing great. Working on all of my stories.
                How are your stories going?
                sigpic

Comment

But would they have been able to stay for too long in the moon? I mean they would need the shield to be up and running all the time.
                  *nods* That's exactly the problem I had with that scenario, and part of why we decided to go in a different direction with Atlantis Rising. To stay on the moon, they would've needed to use the ZPMs to power the shield AND life support (they've got to breathe, after all), in addition to the lights and all the other essential systems to keep the city running. The longer they go, the more power is going to be drained from the ZPMs, and they had already drained a lot of power just using the wormhole drive to get to Earth in the first place. Seems pretty unsustainable to me.
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                    *nods* That's exactly the problem I had with that scenario, and part of why we decided to go in a different direction with Atlantis Rising. To stay on the moon, they would've needed to use the ZPMs to power the shield AND life support (they've got to breathe, after all), in addition to the lights and all the other essential systems to keep the city running. The longer they go, the more power is going to be drained from the ZPMs, and they had already drained a lot of power just using the wormhole drive to get to Earth in the first place. Seems pretty unsustainable to me.
                    I really liked the idea
                    Spoiler:
                    of having Atlantis return to Antarctica in the beginning of Atlantis Rising.
                    sigpic

Comment

I really liked the idea
                      Spoiler:
                      of having Atlantis return to Antarctica in the beginning of Atlantis Rising.
                      Heh. Yeah, we rather liked it too. Very poetic, them returning to the beginning, as it were.
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
                        I tried really really hard to get into it but just can't get through the movie. And I am a huge fantasy/sci fi fan and love to read and couldn't get through the book (I even bought the whole series, thinking "woo hoo this is gonna be so much fun to read" and ended up giving them to my niece). But...but...I don't wanna be dead to you can you forgive me my transgression!?
                        I'll think about it. I may forgive you in time. You'll have to find something you like but I don't to get back at me.
                        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Yeah I think I'm with SR on this one. I almost can't wrap my head around someone who is a sci-fi fantasy fan and doesn't like at least one version of Lord of the Rings. I mean, I've never read the books and it's my understanding that they are kind of hard to read and that The Fellowship of the Rings starts off incredibly slowly, but still...

Wow, I didn't notice this until today. That's kind of Awesome.
                          "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I'll think about it. I may forgive you in time. You'll have to find something you like but I don't to get back at me.
                            That shouldn't be too hard...I have pretty eclectic taste..we're bound to find *something* I like that you don't

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                            Yeah I think I'm with SR on this one. I almost can't wrap my head around someone who is a sci-fi fantasy fan and doesn't like at least one version of Lord of the Rings. I mean, I've never read the books and it's my understanding that they are kind of hard to read and that The Fellowship of the Rings starts off incredibly slowly, but still...

Wow, I didn't notice this until today. That's kind of Awesome.
                            Like I said...I tried. I've tried to watch the movie a few times and have never made it the whole way through. I do really like the music tho...
                            My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                            sigpic

Comment

Well the music sure is something. How far did you make it into the film?
                              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I read the books years and years ago. I much preferred The Hobbit. It didn't drag like the trilogy and wasn't so sad. I've never watched the films. I don't watch a lot of films in any case, but I couldn't see devoting the hours to a story that I really didn't like all that much.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X