Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the city itself is alive?
    sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      I don't recall ever hearing that. In fact, I seem to recall Mallozzi saying the plan for the "Stargate: Extinction" movie (which would otherwise have been the Season 6 opener if there had been a Season 6) was that Atlantis would have to go back to Pegasus because of some sort of failsafe the Ancients left behind, that triggered the city's self-destruct because the city had been out of Pegasus too long; McKay & Co. couldn't shut it off, so back they all go. Or something like that.
      I think I heard that on one of the gen threads. Something about how EatG was supposed to be more than one part - that's why it seemed so rushed - and they were going to stay on earth a while. Also that Ronon was going to stay dead because Jason only had a contract til the end of s5 and wanted to leave to do 'other projects'.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
      I wonder if it would have outgrown McShep? After all, the Daniel/Jack slash group is pretty huge in SG-1 land.
      It probably would have, given that it would have been more 'current'

Rodney's characterization seemed to fluctuate quite drastically according to who was writing him. But that's JMHO, of course. To me his highest character fail moments were 1) Being so gleeful about taking Elizabeth's job in Reunion when he was quite a bit responsible for losing Elizabeth in the first place, and 2) Being afraid of whales in Doppelganger when he has one for a pet in Echoes.
      The bit in Reunion was being played for laughs, that may explain why not much thought went into characterisation. Not a very good call IMO

I can only guess it might have been a failsafe in case the Wraith ever got into Atlantis and flew it out of Pegasus themselves in search of other "feeding grounds."
      Plausible. But its a bit of a stretch for TPTW to use that plot device so long afterwards.

Yup. Getting completely off topic so I'll put this in spoilers.
      Spoiler:

If they'd really read GW then they might have understood that the problem people had with Keller wasn't just anger that Carson was killed. I know it was for some people. It wasn't for me. I liked Carson, but I could have gone along with another medical person in his place. And Keller started off fine. Bland, but fine. But then the characterization started to fluctuate wildly, and the deer in the headlights look became obnoxious. Then the dreaded triangle, and Keller became the leading lady.

But to TPTW, any criticism of her was simply due to anger over Carson.
      Agreed. To be honest, any direct Keller/Carson comparisons I might have formed were after they brought him back in s5 and the two characters interacted

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      ITA, and they thought we didn't watch SGU out of some sort of spite for the cancellation of SGA. That was just insulting.
      That was, in part, why I didn't watch it *shrugs*

I realized that when I learned that they didn't have a plan after S1 and just sort of winged it from then on. The right hand never knew what the left hand was doing.
      That was stuuuupid. They didn't need a season long arc, but a general idea of where their storylines were going would have been a good idea. Just look at the Michael 'arc'

Totally. And some fans still think that's why SGU failed. There was one of those "confessions" on Tumblr a little while back. Some people responded with criticism to that one.
      That may have been why the numbers dropped off after its premiere (some SG fans tuning in, and then tuning out because the show was so 'different') but I don't think that's why it failed. IMO it failed because s1 was so.....bad (bad characterisations and bad storylines). S2 was a vast improvement. Anyone who tuned in from about maybe the last two (?) eps of s1 and then watched from that point onwards would have had a better viewing experience.

Regardless, the shows (SGU v SG-1 & SGA) aren't comparable. Liking one won't translate to liking the others, and I think it was probably a little arrogant of TPTW to assume that viewers would just follow them over.

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
      And speaking of shower, i always have this idea that if we would go with that idea that actually John can "talk/communicate" to/with the city or at least the city would respond to his thoughts, i wonder what would happen in the shower if some day John would think he needed a cold shower, LOL! And another thing (my imagination has its wild days sometimes ) i wonder if there would be any kind of reaction in the city, i don't know lights flickering or something like that, on the day John and Elizabeth would finally really "do it" (if you know what i mean)
      To me, the whole "John and the city talk" theme has always screamed fanfic to me (as in, its not something I would have wanted to see on the show). On the show, they never demonstrated that anything in the city proper had the ability to react that way, unless there was a direct interface eg the chair, the learning room (both involved touch to facilitate the connection). The jumpers on the other hand seemed to involved a larger mental component - to the point where Carson could fire a drone from the co-pilots chair

Technically, I guess you could say I have watched all of SG-1 because Mr. SR used to watch it and I would sit with him and read. Sometimes the humor would catch my attention, but I never did get into the mythology of it all. But when SGA came along, I was hooked like a wide-mouth bass.
      Re SG-1, I think because the show went on for so long, the mythology was their downfall. Too much backstory, too many restrictions on what they could and could not do, involving more and more convoluted storylines and plot devices.

We watched the first 3 and each one was more and more unbearable. I think we gave it a good try, but it just wasn't for us. The fact that it was supposed to be Stargate didn't enter into the equation. We just didn't find it interesting, and the characters were not likable.
      It did get better (especially the characterisation) but if you didn't like it at all at that point, you made the right call by ditching it
      sigpic

Comment

sigpic
        My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
        poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

ITA, and they thought we didn't watch SGU out of some sort of spite for the cancellation of SGA. That was just insulting.
          Are you being sarcastic here or for reals?

Cause err.... I didn't watch SGU out of spite, but not necessarily out of spite for the cancellation of SGA, just a general out of spite.

Since then I've watched a few minutes here and there, and got all woozy in the head from the shaking camera.

I watched SG1 from the beginning as it aired on Belgian TV and was a huge fan. Still am to this day, though SGA did take first spot.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Technically, I guess you could say I have watched all of SG-1 because Mr. SR used to watch it and I would sit with him and read. Sometimes the humor would catch my attention, but I never did get into the mythology of it all. But when SGA came along, I was hooked like a wide-mouth bass.
            I don’t mind SG1, but it is different, i mean it is exciting to watch a new episode of SG1, but i don’t seem to like as much to watch it over and over again like i do with SGA!!!!

I see her appearing on the balcony. We know from canon that John spends time out there, so it would make sense for him to find her.
            That sounds beautiful, very romantic, because the balcony was always “their” special place.

We watched the first 3 and each one was more and more unbearable. I think we gave it a good try, but it just wasn't for us. The fact that it was supposed to be Stargate didn't enter into the equation. We just didn't find it interesting, and the characters were not likable.
            So i guess i am not missing anything then.

Originally posted by Brie View Post
            I’m watching the other two shows right now and they are fine I guess, SG-1 is great but I’m somewhere mid-season 4 and right now I couldn’t be more tired of the Gou’uld story lined episodes, they just all feel as if they are the same once and some feels very pointless, there are a few good once but not many, I do like the episodes that doesn’t involved them or at least not focusing on them.
            I personally prefer the last seasons of SG1, i have watched all the episodes from seasons 7 to 10 (although i have watched many episodes from the other seasons, but i know there are still quite a few that i missed.) I think SG1 become more interesting when they begun searching for things related with the Ancients.

Yeah, I like the "sentient/aware Atlantis" theory. There's a number of fics out there that run with this idea; I'll have to dig a few links up when my headache goes away.
            Thank you, I will appreciate it. Hope you will feel better soon!

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
            So the city itself is alive?
            I don’t think the city is alive, I mean if they can connect with the Chair and with the Jumpers, they will probably be able to control / connect with other things in the city too.
            sigpic
            sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              Are you being sarcastic here or for reals?

Cause err.... I didn't watch SGU out of spite, but not necessarily out of spite for the cancellation of SGA, just a general out of spite.

Since then I've watched a few minutes here and there, and got all woozy in the head from the shaking camera.

I watched SG1 from the beginning as it aired on Belgian TV and was a huge fan. Still am to this day, though SGA did take first spot.
              I was being serious. I didn't realize that anyone actually did that, but if that's the way you felt, you probably wouldn't have liked it no matter what. We started watching it out of curiosity, hoping that it would be good but the more we watched the less we liked it.

I did resent the fact, though, that they seemed to think we would continue watching even if we didn't like it just because it was Stargate. Everybody I know in RL who was a Stargate fan was very disappointed in SGU. The lack of humor and unlikable characters were the main complaints.
              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I have TPTW blacklisted so if they're involved I probably won't watch it.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I think the idea was that it was insulting on a general level because they blamed spite for being powerful enough to kill the show. And the implication being that there's no way that the fans wouldn't have disliked the show enough to kill it if they weren't bitter about SGA.

That might be a little unfair I suppose because in the past they seemed to understand that not all fans of one show necessarily will love the other too (one of them said as much on a SGA commentary. The Return Part 2, I think), but they certainly did seem to expect their new show to succeed based on brand loyalty.

But even if someone did want to support the Stargate in general, no fan should be expected to be watching something they don't like in order to support a franchise they do.

I think If one wants to make a different show fine. Expect a different audience.

Now that all the dust has settled, and I occasionally see SGU mixed in with other Stargate tributes on youtube and so forth, I've been sometimes struck by how little I miss that show.

Which is to say, I suppose technically I do, but not very much.
                  "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    I have TPTW blacklisted so if they're involved I probably won't watch it.
                    I think I may join you in that. Mr. SR and I have established a strict "no more J.J.Abrams shows" policy now that Fringe is going off because his shows start out great and then get too complicated. TPTW for SGA, however, fall into a different category.

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                    I think the idea was that it was insulting on a general level because they blamed spite for being powerful enough to kill the show. And the implication being that there's no way that the fans wouldn't have disliked the show enough to kill it if they weren't bitter about SGA.

That might be a little unfair I suppose because in the past they seemed to understand that not all fans of one show necessarily will love the other too (one of them said as much on a SGA commentary. The Return Part 2, I think), but they certainly did seem to expect their new show to succeed based on brand loyalty.

But even if someone did want to support the Stargate in general, no fan should be expected to be watching something they don't like in order to support a franchise they do.

I think If one wants to make a different show fine. Expect a different audience.

Now that all the dust has settled, and I occasionally see SGU mixed in with other Stargate tributes on youtube and so forth, I've been sometimes struck by how little I miss that show.

Which is to say, I suppose technically I do, but not very much.
                    Very well said. I think the problem was that they did expect a different audience but didn't get one. They were hoping to keep the Stargate fans and add new viewers, but I guess it didn't happen.

I've noticed too that there don't seem to be very many SGU actors at cons these days. Chicago, unless I'm mistaken, doesn't have anyone from SGU scheduled.
                    sigpic

Comment

SK I'm just not a big LOTR fan in general. I tried to read and watch Fellowship and couldn't get through it. . . altho Liv Tyler makes a cute elf and the music is fantastic

I'm a big SG-1 fan...but I got lost somewhere in the 8th season (I had caught up by then and then we didn't have cable so I got behind again) and haven't totally picked it back up yet. It's on my to-watch list that I'll be catching up on when I move (decided not to waste money on cable). I didn't get into SGU, didn't really try. I was too busy catching up on SGA on DVD and felt like SGU didn't have much substance. I did get one good thing out of that show - I recognized Robert Carlyle when i started watching Once Upon a Time and I enjoy him

Pearl your thoughts on John's connection to the city is giving me plot bunnies...
                      My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
                        Pearl your thoughts on John's connection to the city is giving me plot bunnies...
                        Good to know that!!! Go for it!!!
                        sigpic
                        sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

And Les Mis! I saw the stage production years ago, need to see the film. Still rather bouncy at The Hobbit.

If she timed it right, she could even descend right into the shower with him.

*snickers some more* Neither have I. I just read the episode transcripts.
                          Not sure yet about Les Mis, totally with you on The Hobbit though. I can't wait for the next two parts.

Sounds like a great smut fic.

I barely made it through the first three episodes of SGU.
                          I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

a little something I whipped up...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                              *flaily flail* Oh, that is just stunning. I know, unfortunately, where you got the shot of her, but where did you get John's?
                              sigpic

Comment

it's actually this one
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X