Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
    hey question: what do you guys think he next SGA-Rising episode will be released? before christmas, after christmas or after the new year?
    On the Atlantis Rising thread, the writers said probably around the holidays. Personally, I wouldn't mind if it was posted a bit later. I'm going to start on "Box of Dreams" soon, and at the rate I'm probably going to be reading at now, I'm hoping I can catch up before the mid-season two-parter is released.
    sigpic
    Please visit sga-rising.com for a Season 6 of Stargate: Atlantis
    View my projects on FF.net || AO3 || YouTube

(Formerly known as Sparks of Atlantis)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
      That's sure something. I seem to be communicating with people all over the world!
      Well that's because GW is an international community of Stargate-loving people.

Originally posted by MentallyUnstableFox View Post
      Anyway, I was just wondering, a little OT, but since we do seem to have many different people from many different countries posting here...in the countries where English is not the main language, when, in a movie, a character uses a different tongue, if it is your language, do they use English instead? By that I mean, if there is anyone here from the Czech Republic (sp?), when Zelenka does his little ramblings, is it in English for you guys?
      This might come as a surprise to you but American, Canadian or British shows are very rarelly dubbed in the language spoken in the foreign-language country it's being shown. It does depend on the broadcaster though but usually it'll be the original language - be that English or not - and subtitles. Zelenka's rants aren't translated or subtitled over here in Belgium, nor are they on DVD's. However it is possible he is being dubbed in the French language but I would have to check that to be sure.

...what I meant was that, in different countries, say, like Spain for example, they'd show all the episodes in Spanish. In the Czech Republic, they'd all be in Czech, so when Zelenka spoke, they would all know what he was saying, because he'd be speaking their language, right? So if they didn't want anyone to know what he was saying, would they still leave it in Czech for the Czech people? (does this even make sense anymore? ) Because David Nykl did occasionally break the fourth wall in his language...
      Like I said, it depends on the broadcasting channel whether shows are dubbed or subtitled. Dubbing is more expensive though
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        No, in the US they just showed him using his language and it was never translated. But normally in movies and sometimes in TV, they do a subtitle when a different language is used.

I think leaving what Zelenka said untranslated was just a way to leave it up to our interpretation. Plus, I think it was usually funnier that way, like in LTP when he was obviously giving away secrets but Ford wasn't sure because he didn't understand him.
        I can speak Czech so when he does ramble away I know what he says

Comment

It’s an interesting question MentallyUnstableFox

Here in Sweden, Swedish subtitles on our foreign movies and TV-shows (with the exceptions of movies/TV-shows that are largely targeted towards kids, those are usually dubbed). But it’s very different in every country, at least here in Europe, I do know from experience that many countries do dub most of their thing, Italy and Spain does it at least, and it’s been a few years since I was in Germany but back then at least they dubbed most of their things (though my mom were in Turkey a short while ago and there the TV was dubbed in German), but I’m no expert, I don’t watch a lot of TV while I’m visiting other countries and it could also be the different stations the hotel gets that are like that.
          sigpic

Comment

Hi Pearl. Yes that is my name in RL. Yes it was one of the reasons I was drawn to the show. As for the update on TWGO, it's going to be a little bit.
            You mean you were drawn to the show because of Elizabeth's name? Will we be able to see an update on TWGO before Christmas?

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            It was the first thing I thought off...
            I am not sure if i would have noticed that if you didn't point it out. *

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Kate and Katie are luckily two very different and distinct characters, and I love them both very much. Of course, I like Kate more than Katie but Katie was sooooooo cute. Rodney and Katie together was pure fluff.
            I agree, she was so caring of him, i mean she had such a patience to deal with him, LOL!

Wasn't he? hmm, I thought he was. Just a boyfriend, then?
            We were never sure about it. Yes, i believe that he was just a boyfriend. I guess if he were really her fiancé she wouldn't have said goodbye the way she did before leaving to Atlantis.

Yes, Teyla was going to be called Mikala, and the chief of science wasn't originally Dr. McKay, but Dr. Ingram. Also, they originally had a different actor in mind for John, but I think he was unavailable so they went with Joe. Funny how things work out, huh?

Oh, and as a side note, I'm not sure if this was ever canon, but it seemed pretty commonly accepted in the fic community that Sam's full name was Samantha Grace Carter. (think initials)
            Yes, i have red somewhere that the role of Rodney was going to be given to someone else, i mean the character was going to be a new character, but then on the last minute, if i am not mistaken, they decided on the character of Rodney, who had been already introduced on SG1, to join the Atlantis team. I think it was a good choice, i guess things wouldn't have been the same without Rodney, LOL! Do you know who the actor in mind for John was going to be? Ben Browder

SGC, LOL! So funny!

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
            As I recall, I think they were originally thinking of Ben Browder for Sheppard. But then they were later able to get him for Mitchell. I think it worked out better that way.
            Yes, i also agree that it worked out perfectly that way! I can't seem to be able to imagine Ben Browder as John Sheppard.
            sigpic
            sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Oh, yes, I do agree that it was meant for our imaginations to work out, I think that was the intention, what I meant was that, in different countries, say, like Spain for example, they'd show all the episodes in Spanish. In the Czech Republic, they'd all be in Czech, so when Zelenka spoke, they would all know what he was saying, because he'd be speaking their language, right? So if they didn't want anyone to know what he was saying, would they still leave it in Czech for the Czech people? (does this even make sense anymore? ) Because David Nykl did occasionally break the fourth wall in his language...
              Now you've just made me dizzy.

As far as I know, all shows broadcast in the US are in English. Our networks, whether broadcast or cable, don't show foreign shows. I know that's not your question, but I just wanted to clarify that. Again, whether lines of dialogue in other languages are translated depends on the network and the intent of the program. So, the final answer is "it depends."

And personally, I think not knowing what Radek said makes it even funnier. Didn't John say once that his Czech was getting better because he could understand Radek? I think that's a good point. David did such a good job of face and body acting, sometimes you just knew what he was saying.
              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

MentallyUnstableFox I think everyone should give it a try on writing fanfics. You will only know if you are good after you write them. I like that,
                Spoiler:
                Elizabeth from the future. And i think you should continue this one, i want to know what will happen next, what really happened in that section so that the power is not reaching there. Or if they will find an Elizabeth from the future or not.

Originally posted by Brie View Post
                I always really liked Katie and Rodney, I felt as if she had the ability to make him more humble.

Up until then at least, it was a pretty awful way to treat someone you’ve dated for as long as they have, I mean even if he wasn’t ready to get married she deserved to have him tell her in a more mature and a better way and he should have really talked to her. Instead she became another person we never saw or heard from again.
                I think someone says in an episode that Katie had returned to Earth. After what happened in Quarantine, i can't blame her.

Originally posted by Aang View Post
                Well we all know Rodney's not exactly the tactful one around women...as evidenced by Carson's reaction to Rodney having a date at the beginning of "Duet"

You have a DATE, Rodney? With a WOMAN?

It's just two mature adults--Yes, with a WOMAN!
                LOL

Very true, he wasn’t exactly known for his tact however I just thought that after spending over two years with someone they deserved that he at least tried to talk to her, he didn’t even say that he was sorry.
                Were you expecting something more from season 4? That season only showed us lots of plots with little sense.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                Spoiler:
                You're probably reading them in chronological order, right? "The Birthday Ball" is a prequel of sorts. "Ascension of the Queen" is the original story, the first written. That one has John it in. I think Rodney's in that one too, although gotta be honest and say that Rodney isn't a major character in this series.

I would keep going through Ascension. That one's the story that will tell you if you'll enjoy the series or not.
                Spoiler:
                Yes, i am reading it on chronological order, but i have now red "Ascension of the queen", the one that originated everything, and i now understand why John wasn't there on the first stories. I have red quite a bit more now, and i am on the part John and Elizabeth are dancing / practicing for the solstice ball. Can't wait to see more Sparky scenes from now on, i am so hopeful for that!! So far we haven't been seeing much of Sparky in action, LOL! But i am enjoying quite a lot the stories, very nicely done!

What's Stargate Ren?
                Stargate ren is this: http://stargate-ren.livejournal.com/8085.html an AU fic that is really quite interesting, even for someone like me that usually don't like AU fics much. If you have the chance please read it and tell us what you think of it.

You can find it here:

stargate_ren - the new blog in LiveJournal. There should be new interesting records soon.

(BTW, I just had to say how much I love the pic of Elizabeth on the front page, we so need to see Torri dress like that and with her long hair, just beautiful)
                I agree! She looks lovely!

It's been a while since I read it so I'm defiantly going to re-read it again because there are so many stories to read, however for the Chronology you can find it here: http://stargate-ren.livejournal.com/8085.html - it's the Library Index

"Ascension of the Queen" though is the main story so maybe you should check that one out first, but it's up to each and everyone what they want to do.
                I started reading it chronologically, i think it is better. IMO, of course.

What are the stories about? I'm not asking for specifics. Just a general summary.
                Spoiler:
                Elizabeth is the Queen of a country called Atalan and it is the story of what happens with her and all that surround her, before, and after her Ascension to queen. The stories are quite interesting, although they are totally AU from the original series.

That sounds fascinating. What order should I read them in?
                Start with "Not alone"

Originally posted by Sparks of Atlantis View Post
                On the Atlantis Rising thread, the writers said probably around the holidays. Personally, I wouldn't mind if it was posted a bit later. I'm going to start on "Box of Dreams" soon, and at the rate I'm probably going to be reading at now, I'm hoping I can catch up before the mid-season two-parter is released.
                I can't agree with you on this, Sparks, sorry. I would rather read the next episode before the holidays!!!
                sigpic
                sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday and... S-minus 5 hours and 40 minutes until the Sateda post-a-thon!

Now to the College Football Round-up... where everyone had a good day except for me and PK, who will be sitting in the corner crying into our whiskey... Virginia Tech beat Boston College 30-23, Georgia beat GA Southern 45-14, USC fell to our hated arch-rivals UCLA 38-28, Tennessee lost to Vanderbilt 41-18, Air Force beat Hawaii 21-7, and Navy beat Texas State 21-10.

*sighs* Not a good day.

As far as I know, all shows broadcast in the US are in English. Our networks, whether broadcast or cable, don't show foreign shows. I know that's not your question, but I just wanted to clarify that. Again, whether lines of dialogue in other languages are translated depends on the network and the intent of the program. So, the final answer is "it depends."

And personally, I think not knowing what Radek said makes it even funnier. Didn't John say once that his Czech was getting better because he could understand Radek? I think that's a good point. David did such a good job of face and body acting, sometimes you just knew what he was saying.
                  I saw David Nykl last November at the LAX Creation Con, and he was asked about Zelenka's mutterings. Apparently, the show is dubbed into Czech, and they redub his lines, including what he says in Czech. But the actual things he says in Czech are kept intact, including all the cursing, apparently.
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
                    MentallyUnstableFox I think everyone should give it a try on writing fanfics. You will only know if you are good after you write them.
                    Actually, I have to differ with you on this. I agree that everyone who wants to should try writing fanfic. You never know what you can accomplish until you try. However, a lot of writers don't find out if they are good or not because fans tend not to give honest reviews. Now if a bunch of people tell you (yes, I'm looking at you MentallyUnstableFox) that your fic was good and that you should write more, and if they are people who also write good fics, then you know you are good. But if you really want an honest opinion, you have to ask a respected writer and/or beta in private to give you advice. Nobody wants to hurt a writer's feelings or discourage them from enjoying fandom, so all of us tend to be very very tactful with new writers.

I like the way Fox cautiously asked for reviews and didn't have an unrealistic ego about her abilities. We were all happy to welcome her to the Sparky writing community.
                    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

S-minus 1 hour to the Sateda post-a-thon!
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Yep, "it depends" pretty much sums it up. And absolutely, it was way funnier that we didn't know, but I often found myself reading the translations later, just to see if he ever said anything worth knowing. Like in one episode, IIRC, he said "I can't work with these actors!"
                        Daniel: You know referring to yourself in the third person is a sign of mental instability right?
                        McKay: Yeah, mentally unstable like a FOX!

O'neill: Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?!

Elizabeth: I'm not going anywhere
                        John: good, wouldn't be the same without you

Carson: You have a date Rodney? With a woman?

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
                          MentallyUnstableFox I think everyone should give it a try on writing fanfics. You will only know if you are good after you write them. I like that,
                          Spoiler:
                          Elizabeth from the future. And i think you should continue this one, i want to know what will happen next, what really happened in that section so that the power is not reaching there. Or if they will find an Elizabeth from the future or not.
                          Thank you so much! I'm trying to figure out those answers as well
                          Daniel: You know referring to yourself in the third person is a sign of mental instability right?

Comment

I like the way Fox cautiously asked for reviews and didn't have an unrealistic ego about her abilities. We were all happy to welcome her to the Sparky writing community.
                            Yes, you did. And thank you all for your awesome support !!! I'm usually not very outgoing in sharing anything I do with anyone because they usually can't handle how awesome I am because I'm so nervous, but you guys are really great, and I'm sure the only criticism you'd give would be the constructive kind.

Wait a second, only one hour left?! *checks program*
                            No! I now have to decide between Sateda and Princess Bride in an hour... The world shall meet its end.

Comment

It's soon to be my first post-a-thon in many months!

Comment

S-minus 30 minutes to the Sateda post-a-thon!

Wait a second, only one hour left?! *checks program*
                                No! I now have to decide between Sateda and Princess Bride in an hour... The world shall meet its end.
                                Oh noes!

Originally posted by ShWeir View Post
                                It's soon to be my first post-a-thon in many months!
                                Yay, glad you'll be able to join us!

Comment

Working...
                                X