Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
    I've found that waiting to put the text on until AFTER you've reduced the size is a good way to make certain that it's going to work on an icon.
    Well duh. Thanks for that. See sometimes you do the same thing over and over hoping for different results and then a sane person comes along and fixes it for you.
    sigpic

    Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

    Comment


      Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

      Originally posted by mandogater View Post
      Nice work, SW. For some reason you have me wondering now are there any pics from the series with the two of them in it were they aren't having eye sex?
      Like SR said, only when they're not in the same room. And even then, I wouldn't put money on it.

      Originally posted by gateraid View Post
      Sorry, no caps today

      I'm just here to pimp SGA Rising. One of the initial goals was to write fic with a broad appeal. As a fan of the big three (Sheppard, Weir & McKay), I thought I would miss Weir in this series. I don't. AT ALL. Maybe that's because in the back of my mind I know there are plans for her *shrugs* It especially annoys me that TPTW didn't consider this as a possibility and limit the character's screentime rather than axing her completely.

      I have been both impressed and surprised by the quality of the scripts/stories to date, especially with how easy it is to picture what is happening as if it were on tv. Keep up the good work
      *salutes* Many thanks for the praise. And thank you for all the help you've given us in making SGA Rising even better!

      Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      Thank you for those kind words. And may I say that your beta skills have been very helpful in giving us a perspective we sometimes miss. We are trying to the best of our ability to make our readers able to visualize our stories as being an episode of the show. We are proud of how close we have stuck to canon even when it has been painful, and now that we are getting into the meat of our arc we will be able to branch out without the appearance of altering canon for our own devices. Our characters will behave just as they did on the show or we will beat them into submission. It's just that simple. The Wraith are still the big scary monsters they always were, and everyone else is recognizable.
      Indeed. No revisionist history here. Instead of trying to rewrite canon, we're simply expanding on canon in a logical and very meticulously thought out manner. At the end of the day, everything has to make sense based on what has come before it on the TV show.

      Originally posted by gateraid View Post
      Also, last time I was on here, the was a discussion about Steen v Higginson. Since I learned that Ben Browder was their first choice for Sheppard, I have been of the opinion that they cast the original Weir with that in mind. When BB wasn't available and they went with JF instead, they went with a different actress for Weir. It's just speculation, but I think the original duo would've been closer to what TPTW intended. Both pairs have different default settings for how they interact with other characters/actors. Certainly I think actor chemistry had an influence on some of their later scripts, probably not so much in s1.
      I think you've got a very interesting point there. I've heard that a scheduling conflict also came up with regards to Steen; if true, that probably prompted the recast more than anything else, but the idea that the two of them were deliberately sought after for the roles to play off each other makes a lot of sense.

      Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
      I've found that waiting to put the text on until AFTER you've reduced the size is a good way to make certain that it's going to work on an icon.
      *nods* That's how I've always done it.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
        Like SR said, only when they're not in the same room. And even then, I wouldn't put money on it.
        Thanks SK and SR! I didn't think there would be any but since I've been a little Castle obsessed the last month or so I couldn't remember.
        I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

        Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

        Comment


          So I've been wondering about something. Most of us agree, I think, that the PTB's handling of Carter being on the show was a major misstep, at least to different degrees. We may have thought of various reasons, but I at least thought there was the potential in the idea to make it work. Or at least work better than in the actual show.

          I know that replacing Weir with Carter might not have been the best conceived idea to begin with but assuming had to work with the idea that SG-1 was cancelled, Higgionson was leaving and Carter was taking her spot, how do you guys think they could have written Carter in the show better?
          "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

          *You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

          "Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

          "Elizabeth..."

          Comment


            Hello everyone!

            ShepperWriter – love the icon, there are so many eye!sex moment to choose from when it comes to those two. Also thanks for posting the pic of Joe and Torri from comic con, makes me look forward to the two conventions in Chicago and the pics we hopefully will get, I’m hoping on especially Dragoncon since there isn’t that many SGA actors that is going to be there (other than Joe and Torri it’s Robert Picardo, Jewel Staite and Connor Trinneer that have bigger roles and all of them are maybe more well known for other roles) but I don’t know if they are planning anything other than autograph signing but with any luck there will be something that they can do together.
            sigpic

            Comment


              I've totally wasted the whole day, but I don't feel all that bad about it. Huh.

              Oh wait, there's the guilt. And the to-do list. Grr.

              Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
              Awesome! Glad the tour went well. As for the bunnies, hey, at least they're giving you a bit of a break.

              Ah, Torri and Joe look so cute in that pic!

              Whoo hoo! Sparky Eye!Sex FOR THE WIN!
              Yes, on all accounts.

              Originally posted by mandogater View Post
              Nice work, SW. For some reason you have me wondering now are there any pics from the series with the two of them in it were they aren't having eye sex?
              Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
              None when they are in the same room, that's for sure.
              Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
              Like SR said, only when they're not in the same room. And even then, I wouldn't put money on it.
              Originally posted by mandogater View Post
              Thanks SK and SR! I didn't think there would be any but since I've been a little Castle obsessed the last month or so I couldn't remember.
              I was gonna say they probably eye!sex while they're daydreaming ... It would make for some interesting interviews with the IOA ...

              And being Castle obsessed isn't bad. I'm just trying to restrain myself until the fall. Too many premieres to deal with. *fangirl squee*

              Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
              I love it. You did great. I have the same problem with icons. They always look better when big, and then when you reduce them the text often gets unreadable and you have to redo it in another font. Annoying. Maybe that means I need to practice more.
              Thanks! My problem usually is that the people in the pic look great when it's magnified, like, 400%, and then I have to shrink it down to 120x120 ... And suddenly it's so small.

              Thank you for those kind words. And may I say that your beta skills have been very helpful in giving us a perspective we sometimes miss. We are trying to the best of our ability to make our readers able to visualize our stories as being an episode of the show. We are proud of how close we have stuck to canon even when it has been painful, and now that we are getting into the meat of our arc we will be able to branch out without the appearance of altering canon for our own devices. Our characters will behave just as they did on the show or we will beat them into submission. It's just that simple. The Wraith are still the big scary monsters they always were, and everyone else is recognizable.
              Just the way it should be. I gotta give everybody props too. I'm amazed even at how many people are following SGA Rising on Twitter, including at least one from the show, IIRC. You all are doing good!

              Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
              I've found that waiting to put the text on until AFTER you've reduced the size is a good way to make certain that it's going to work on an icon.
              Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
              Well duh. Thanks for that. See sometimes you do the same thing over and over hoping for different results and then a sane person comes along and fixes it for you.
              I usually do that, and it works great. But this time around, it's image issues. The new Photobucket doesn't have smart-cut like it used to, and my PS Elements trial expired, and I'm on a budget for the summer. So I'm having to resort to using the eraser in Paint to edit my pictures. Drats. PS Elements is going on my "must buy when I have money again" list.

              Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
              Indeed. No revisionist history here. Instead of trying to rewrite canon, we're simply expanding on canon in a logical and very meticulously thought out manner. At the end of the day, everything has to make sense based on what has come before it on the TV show.
              You should be able to imagine it in your head and see it playing out as an onscreen episode. Which is one of the reasons that I like S6 no, it has nothing to do with the writing staff.

              Anyhow. Gotta run to the store for some things. Be back later!

              Comment


                Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                I know that replacing Weir with Carter might not have been the best conceived idea to begin with but assuming had to work with the idea that SG-1 was cancelled, Higgionson was leaving and Carter was taking her spot, how do you guys think they could have written Carter in the show better?
                By not writing her in at all... and brought in Woolsey instead from the beginning, after Weir I mean if Weir really had to go.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

                Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                  So I've been wondering about something. Most of us agree, I think, that the PTB's handling of Carter being on the show was a major misstep, at least to different degrees. We may have thought of various reasons, but I at least thought there was the potential in the idea to make it work. Or at least work better than in the actual show.

                  I know that replacing Weir with Carter might not have been the best conceived idea to begin with but assuming had to work with the idea that SG-1 was cancelled, Higgionson was leaving and Carter was taking her spot, how do you guys think they could have written Carter in the show better?
                  To put it simply -- Carter was the new girl who didn't get hazed. I mean, during Year One of the Expedition being on Atlantis, Elizabeth got everything in the book thrown at her: dealing with the locals, whom you think may be ratting on you to the Wraith, an insolent scientist questioning her decisions and authority every chance he got, what amounted to insubordination from her military leader, insane alien lifeforms that tried to fool them into going back to "Earth" and the other local baddies, etc.

                  Carter had, what? Replicators. She had already gone through a couple rounds with them in the Milky Way. The city got quarantined and she was trapped in an elevator with Zelenka, who was probably more likely to figure out who to get them out because McKay was too busy hyperventilating about his SNAFU'd proposal. Then she fell into an old mining shaft with, OMG, the CMO of Atlantis. I mean, I'm not downgrading what she had to deal with, but that was kinda old hat for her.

                  And Torri didn't leave, she got the boot because AT essentially had seniority over her.

                  There was just a lot of things that could've been done better.

                  [/rant]

                  Originally posted by Brie View Post
                  Hello everyone!

                  ShepperWriter – love the icon, there are so many eye!sex moment to choose from when it comes to those two. Also thanks for posting the pic of Joe and Torri from comic con, makes me look forward to the two conventions in Chicago and the pics we hopefully will get, I’m hoping on especially Dragoncon since there isn’t that many SGA actors that is going to be there (other than Joe and Torri it’s Robert Picardo, Jewel Staite and Connor Trinneer that have bigger roles and all of them are maybe more well known for other roles) but I don’t know if they are planning anything other than autograph signing but with any luck there will be something that they can do together.
                  Sounds like fun! So if I'm counting right, we have three Sparkys that are going to the Chicago Con. Have fun! When is it?

                  Now I'm going to the store.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                    So I've been wondering about something. Most of us agree, I think, that the PTB's handling of Carter being on the show was a major misstep, at least to different degrees. We may have thought of various reasons, but I at least thought there was the potential in the idea to make it work. Or at least work better than in the actual show.

                    I know that replacing Weir with Carter might not have been the best conceived idea to begin with but assuming had to work with the idea that SG-1 was cancelled, Higgionson was leaving and Carter was taking her spot, how do you guys think they could have written Carter in the show better?
                    I agree that it was a bad idea to bring her over. But once they did, they should have written her as they did on SG-1 and not as Weirlite. I would also have liked more conflict, especially with John. And don't get me started on suck up!Rodney. She should have had more to do with the sciency stuff, which could have taken some of the wind out of Rodney's sails and should have pulled rank on John more. Except when he wanted to rescue Elizabeth.
                    sigpic

                    Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                      I usually do that, and it works great. But this time around, it's image issues. The new Photobucket doesn't have smart-cut like it used to, and my PS Elements trial expired, and I'm on a budget for the summer. So I'm having to resort to using the eraser in Paint to edit my pictures. Drats. PS Elements is going on my "must buy when I have money again" list.
                      I would suggest you download GIMP and give it a try. I got a girlfriend started on it a couple of weeks ago. It has most of the same features as Photoshop. It has the advantage of being a free program. Lots of folks I know use it, with excellent results.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                        I would suggest you download GIMP and give it a try. I got a girlfriend started on it a couple of weeks ago. It has most of the same features as Photoshop. It has the advantage of being a free program. Lots of folks I know use it, with excellent results.
                        I have GIMP but still have trouble with it. *iz bad nerd* One of the teachers at work who uses PS for designing exteriors for engineering projects always used GIMP and constantly praised it, so I downloaded it. My main problem is trying to find a tool that will automatically cut people out of pictures so I can insert them into other pics and the like. But I've got too much of a migraine to try it right now.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                          I was gonna say they probably eye!sex while they're daydreaming ... It would make for some interesting interviews with the IOA ...

                          And being Castle obsessed isn't bad. I'm just trying to restrain myself until the fall. Too many premieres to deal with. *fangirl squee*
                          Sounds like a fun fanfic. *Glares at muse, where ever it ran off to*

                          Castle is the only way I get any kind of laugh anymore. I enjoy Beckett and Castle's flirty banter almost as much as Elizabeth and John's.
                          Last edited by mandogater; 06 July 2012, 09:22 PM.
                          I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

                          Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                            To put it simply -- Carter was the new girl who didn't get hazed. I mean, during Year One of the Expedition being on Atlantis, Elizabeth got everything in the book thrown at her: dealing with the locals, whom you think may be ratting on you to the Wraith, an insolent scientist questioning her decisions and authority every chance he got, what amounted to insubordination from her military leader, insane alien lifeforms that tried to fool them into going back to "Earth" and the other local baddies, etc.

                            Carter had, what? Replicators. She had already gone through a couple rounds with them in the Milky Way. The city got quarantined and she was trapped in an elevator with Zelenka, who was probably more likely to figure out who to get them out because McKay was too busy hyperventilating about his SNAFU'd proposal. Then she fell into an old mining shaft with, OMG, the CMO of Atlantis. I mean, I'm not downgrading what she had to deal with, but that was kinda old hat for her.

                            And Torri didn't leave, she got the boot because AT essentially had seniority over her.

                            There was just a lot of things that could've been done better.

                            [/rant]
                            I agree with you and SR 100%, SW!

                            Writing Carter as Weirlite degraded both characters, IMHO.

                            They deminished Weir's ability to gather, lead and keep focused an international expedition on the big picture even with all the problems they had while cut off from Earth.

                            In Carter's case, John walked all over her a couple of times. I can't see that happening if it was on SG-1 and all of her scientific talents were totally wasted pushing paper as an administrator.
                            I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

                            Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

                            Comment


                              I'm plowing my through our virtual season... makes my muse happy apparently. Earlier this evening she was running around frustrated. Right now, she's dozing happily in her lazy chair.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

                              Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                                I agree with you and SR 100%, SW!

                                Writing Carter as Weirlite degraded both characters, IMHO.

                                They deminished Weir's ability to gather, lead and keep focused an international expedition on the big picture even with all the problems they had while cut off from Earth.

                                In Carter's case, John walked all over her a couple of times. I can't see that happening if it was on SG-1 and all of her scientific talents were totally wasted pushing paper as an administrator.
                                It could have been worse. Carter could've started wearing the red shirt.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X