Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    *glomps Anuna*

Actually, the water ones look pretty good, mostly because they used real water. I was talking about the ones where they're all floating on the Gateroom staircase. Those were just appalling.
    Oh and *glomps* in return!
    I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      Dropping off my latest wallpaper. I've been doing tutorials on Photoshop Elements. I hope the hard work shows with a few new skillz. The background is a piece of art I saw in the Washington Post. The text is from an Adele song. Can you find the title?

Spoiler:
      I just love your new wallpaper, SR!!! The lyrics so fit them.
      I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

*Glomps Everyone*

I made another pretty

sigpic
        Thank you ladygris for my lovely sig and avi

Comment

Dropping off my latest wallpaper. I've been doing tutorials on Photoshop Elements. I hope the hard work shows with a few new skillz. The background is a piece of art I saw in the Washington Post. The text is from an Adele song. Can you find the title?

Spoiler:
          Oooh, that's super pretty!! Great new skillz!!

Talking about the DVD covers.... I have the 5 season set DVDs which don't have those pictures. Each one has a different person on the front S1-John, S2-Rodney, S3-Teyla, S4-Ronon, S5-Michael(?!?!). And there are little pictures on the bottom and back. Elizabeth only appears in a little square on the S1 DVD. They completely took her out of the pictures altogether. Stupid #@$@. I bet certain producers were behind that. *grumbles*

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
            The irony of her saying that she wasn't invisible is that is how TPTW had treated her for the previous season. Did she even get her own ep in s3?
            Nope. Not once is she mentioned in the episode synopsis listing for GW SGA S3. Truly, the Invisible Woman. *pets Teyla*

I think the military angle might've worked if they played it up a bit more - have Carter overrule Shep on something, have her force Rodney to do something....that sort of thing. Aside from referring to her as Colonel, there was no real difference between her and either Woolsey or Weir (okay, once or twice she pushed buttons on the Deadalus and the Apollo because she happened to be there). It didn't help that she wore a civilian uniform
            True. She wore BDUs on SG-1 all the time. And even if she is the leader of the Expedition, she still could've worn them. Granted, the other military personnel on Atlantis wore the Expedition uniform as well ... John's the only one who wore the black BDUs.

There were plenty of ways they could have used her, but went for what turned out to be a bad fit. They only have themselves to blame

Well...they actually gave Woolsey an arc, which they didn't really do for Carter (other then Teal'C saying "you've come into your own here")
            It's like a girl from another high school moving in and trying to fit in. That's the best example I can come up with.

They should've taken a look at what they'd done in the past. They wanted Hammond to be a foil for O'Neill - that didn't work. They shifted O'Neill into the role because RDA wanted less shooting time - he got arguably more screentime, certainly the show was a lot more SGC-based. Then there was Landry - given that Beau was a 'name' actor, he actually had to have some screentime, even going offworld on occassion. So they all ended up being different to intended.
            Well, in all fairness, Jack had been the leader of SG-1 for 7 years. When he got Hammond's job in S8, I didn't really expect them to make him a background character.

I hadn't really thought about that, sorry FH, but you're right. I remember there was a big buildup to S3 with TPTB saying that Teyla was going to fly a hive ship. This had her fans speculating that she was actually going to have her own ship and at last a big role, but you see how that went. I guess her parts in The Ark and Submersion were supposed to suffice. Much like Sheppard in most of S5, she became a supporting character even before the pregnancy. With eps like The Ark and Vengeance, she became the damsel in distress, and most of S3 ended up being the McShep show. I'm not complaining about that because I loved the boys together in a purely platonic nonslashy kind of way.
            When it's an ensemble cast, you expect everybody to get balanced roles.

And I love the boys together. JoeF and David have great bromance chemistry in a purely platonic nonslashy kind of way.

I was fully expecting her to have problems with Rodney, but it never came about. I fully expected her to clash on occasion with Shep, again nothing. In fact, JF said that they had wanted to do that but she was just too nice and his character couldn't be seen being mean to her, or some such. And in reality, since she outranked him, Shep had to do what she told him. Then in S&R when he stood up to her, she totally backed down and let him do whatever he wanted. When Elizabeth did that, she was accused of being weak and having a silly schoolgirl crush, so you just can't win with some people. But you're right, there was no discernible difference between Carter and Weir, and to some extent Woolsey. You'd never have guessed this was the same Carter from SG-1.
            Like I said, new girl at high school. I was disappointed that they didn't do much more to make Carter grow. New responsibilities and everything ... she was basically a placeholder. Sorry, Sam ...

Woolsey got quite a bit of character growth also, and a lot of viewers actually changed their opinion of him. Sam never had one minute of anything personal that I recall after the first ep she was in yet they had everybody acting like she was their best friend and talking about how wonderful she was. That didn't set well with me, especially when we saw her eating with the team. I was very annoyed by that.
            The biggest thing that had everybody buzzing, when Carter came to Atlantis, was that five second window during "Reunion" when we saw the picture of Jack in her quarters. Otherwise, she just stayed monotomous during S4.

And yeah, I actually liked Woolsey during S5. I felt like he wasn't the IOA's puppet anymore ... or am I blurring canon with a fic that I wrote? Oh well.

A lot of their decisions were based on RL events, which I guess is understandable when you are dealing with actors and their lives. But they just worked it out so awkwardly. They originally said Weir and Sheppard would be a bit antagonistic, but then backed off when they saw how well they worked together. At least they had the good sense to go with that, but it's unfortunate they didn't take it to the logical conclusion.
            Logic rules.

Originally posted by Brie View Post
            Hi everyone! I just wanted to say that I will be of on a spontaneous mini-vacation from tomorrow until Saturday so I won’t be here but I’ll hope you guys will have a great week.
            Have fun!!!

The only one who really reacted to the change in command in a way that I felt was the most believable was Ronan and I personally really liked that.
            It was in character for him, I agree.

Speaking of Teyla’s part in season 3, I really did react to the season 3 DVD cover was how cut around it was and it didn’t really go together, I mean they had John in the front with a replicator-gun (I don’t remember what they are called), and Elizabeth and Rodney behind him in full battle gear with p-90s in their hands (though I gotta say that I love how the angle make it looks like Elizabeth has John’s back in the field), and than they had Ronan with his Sateda outfit which worked well but then it looks like they just remember to add in Teyla as an after though and they chose one of the promo pics of her (and if they chose promo pics of all of them I would love a solo shoot of the Elizabeth on the cover btw) and she does look great but it’s not what I would expect, other than that it’s a good cover, I love the choice of colours they used.

http://i41.tinypic.com/6qa4ut.jpg
            The irony of that cover is that they basically pasted Weir's head onto a shot of Teyla's body in battle gear. The watch on "Weir's" hand is the big clue; that's Teyla's watch, not Weir's. Clearly, whoever did that cover obviously thought Weir was a more important character than Teyla in order to place Weir so prominently. That's not the only "mistake," either: Sheppard's body is also flipped; his hair is pointing the wrong way (it looks like they did the same with Teyla). And is it just me, or does Rodney's head look too big for his body?
            Elizabeth was anti-gun, that was one of the reasons I liked her. FAIL.

The photo of her is from the promos from "The Return". FAIL.

Teyla looks like an exotic belly dancer. FAIL.

Rodney's head looks too pale and narrow. FAIL.

You flipped Teh Pretteh's Hair. I don't even know if that's forgivable or not. FAIL.

[/rant]

Stunt casting is right, and the way they tried to force feed her down our throats with having all the characters say how great she was (without showing us why they thought she was great) was even more of a slap in the face. Grr. It's clear that TPTW wanted what they wanted, but what I can't understand is how they could've done all that and been totally blind to the fact that they were totally sabotaging the show. I keep coming back to what JoeF said several times about ego and vanity.
            Exactly. If Carter had been given a chance to prove herself, she would've integrated better. But everybody just nodded and rolled out the welcome carpet. Funny -- alot of people felt the same way about SG-1 S9 when BenB joined the cast.

Nice! Inspiring me to play around with mine a little more.

And the title is down in the lower left corner. Nice!

Joe really does have a lot of knowledge and insight regarding show biz, doesn't he?

You are very observant. I never noticed all that. The Photoshop job is terrible too. The hair is much too smooth on the edges. Somebody needs to tell them about "refine edges." *snerk*

I also noticed that they spent quite a bit of time with the air brush tool on Rodney. David has a lot more personality in his face than that. Sheesh. And choosing a pic of Teyla in her bare belly outfit while everyone else was in battle gear was an insult to her character. But it shows us just what they thought of her, I guess.
            Yikes ... True dat.

Joe totally should've been showrunner in Seasons 4-5. Weir would never have been thrown under the bus, Torri would've remained on the regular cast, and we would've gotten at least a Season 6 to properly wrap stuff up. *sulks*
            Is it too late to restart that campaign???

Working on fic while watching "Eureka" marathon ...

*lurks*

Comment

Originally posted by Madness reigns View Post
              *Glomps Everyone*

I made another pretty

More pretty artwork! I'm loving all the creativity going around!

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                You mean those which look like they're walking on the water, minus the water?
                *glomps Anuna*

Actually, the water ones look pretty good, mostly because they used real water. I was talking about the ones where they're all floating on the Gateroom staircase. Those were just appalling.
                *glomps Anuna too*

Yeah, I like the water ones too, but those staircase ones ... my cat could've done a better job.

ARGH. GateWorld just ate my reply. I meant those photos - they look like they're standing on water or thin air or something else that doesn't look solid at all. I just don't understand - when you can do so many wonderful things with PS, why ruining the pictures? Why photoshopping people who already look VERY good? To hide the fact that they're ageing? I mean, whom are they trying to fool?
                JoeF should never be PS'ed ... unless we're making him more pretteh.

*Glomps Everyone*

I made another pretty

Ooh, me likee!!!

I'm still jealous. Still figuring out GIMP and PS Elements ... need some tutorials. Gotta go back to that webpage SR sent me.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post

Talking about the DVD covers.... I have the 5 season set DVDs which don't have those pictures. Each one has a different person on the front S1-John, S2-Rodney, S3-Teyla, S4-Ronon, S5-Michael(?!?!). And there are little pictures on the bottom and back. Elizabeth only appears in a little square on the S1 DVD. They completely took her out of the pictures altogether. Stupid #@$@. I bet certain producers were behind that. *grumbles*
                *joins in grumbling*

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                  Yeah, I like the water ones too, but those staircase ones ... my cat could've done a better job.

Ooh, me likee!!!

I'm still jealous. Still figuring out GIMP and PS Elements ... need some tutorials. Gotta go back to that webpage SR sent me.

If you want help with GIMP or anything like that the Art for All thread is a great place to start - and we're all kinda nice over there - mostly!

By Stair ones I assume you mean these ones??

Interestingly I found these whilst perusing the interweb
                  Spoiler:

version1

Version2

Looks as though it wasn't the cast they photoshoped but the floor!
                  Why they couldn't have just left them well alone I will never know!

sigpic
                  Thank you ladygris for my lovely sig and avi

Comment

If you want help with GIMP or anything like that the Art for All thread is a great place to start - and we're all kinda nice over there - mostly!

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/...uys/500_06.jpg
                    Yup. *sporks eyes*

Spoiler:

version1

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/...tispromos5.jpg

Version2

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/...5_promo300.jpg

At least the second picture has shadows!!! It looks real. Well, realer than the first one. The first one looks like they're levitating.

Comment

ARGH. GateWorld just ate my reply. I meant those photos - they look like they're standing on water or thin air or something else that doesn't look solid at all. I just don't understand - when you can do so many wonderful things with PS, why ruining the pictures? Why photoshopping people who already look VERY good? To hide the fact that they're ageing? I mean, whom are they trying to fool?
                      If you look closely at the water ones, you'll see they're standing in the water, not on it. From the looks of the high-res shots, it appears that they set up some sort of large tank or something with a few inches of water in it, just enough to come up to a person's ankles. Use of practical effects instead of trying to Photoshop or CG something in after the fact always makes for a higher-quality shot.

But the stair photos still look crappy as sin. More on that later.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post

The Blu-ray covers are a little better. The Seasons 1 and 2 case has Sheppard in front, with McKay at medium distance and Weir more in the background. The Seasons 3 and 4 case has McKay in front, with Teyla at medium distance and Sheppard in the far background. The Season 5 case as Ronon in front, with Woolsey at medium distance and Keller in the far back. It's too bad they doubled up Seasons 1-2 and 3-4, otherwise we could've gotten some more characters in, like Ford, Beckett, Caldwell and Zelenka.

True. She wore BDUs on SG-1 all the time. And even if she is the leader of the Expedition, she still could've worn them. Granted, the other military personnel on Atlantis wore the Expedition uniform as well ... John's the only one who wore the black BDUs.
                      Which was utterly stupid, IMO. They should've had all the military in BDUs from the beginning. TPTW made such a fuss about how there was going to be conflict between the civilian and military divisions via Weir and Sheppard, putting them in different uniforms would've been a great visual reinforcement of that. But what do I know, I just took a few costume design classes while getting my bachelors' degree in Theatre.

It's like a girl from another high school moving in and trying to fit in. That's the best example I can come up with.
                      Actually, I think that's a great way to put it!

When it's an ensemble cast, you expect everybody to get balanced roles.

And I love the boys together. JoeF and David have great bromance chemistry in a purely platonic nonslashy kind of way.
                      Me too.

JoeF should never be PS'ed ... unless we're making him more pretteh.
                      WORD!

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/...uys/500_06.jpg

Spoiler:

version1

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/...tispromos5.jpg

Version2

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/...5_promo300.jpg

Yep, those are the ones! And yeah, I've seen the untouched versions; there's some high-resolution ones floating around on the web. They look MUCH better than the ones that were Photoshopped to death.
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

If you look closely at the water ones, you'll see they're standing in the water, not on it. From the looks of the high-res shots, it appears that they set up some sort of large tank or something with a few inches of water in it, just enough to come up to a person's ankles. Use of practical effects instead of trying to Photoshop or CG something in after the fact always makes for a higher-quality shot.

But the stair photos still look crappy as sin. More on that later.
                        I wouldn't have minded seeing Shep in more water. Heh heh heh.

Which was utterly stupid, IMO. They should've had all the military in BDUs from the beginning. TPTW made such a fuss about how there was going to be conflict between the civilian and military divisions via Weir and Sheppard, putting them in different uniforms would've been a great visual reinforcement of that. But what do I know, I just took a few costume design classes while getting my bachelors' degree in Theatre.
                        Case in point:

Yep. They're in conflict.

PS -- check out my lovely PhotoShopping job!!! *smirk*

Comment

Love your wallie. This thread is getting lots more arty.

And thanks to everyone for liking my new one. I encourage others to join in.

Case in point:

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/...ason2_29-1.jpg

Good job. You got new skillz also.
                          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Love your wallie. This thread is getting lots more arty.

And thanks to everyone for liking my new one. I encourage others to join in.

Good job. You got new skillz also.
                            Thanks. It's a work in progress ... now if only I could've gotten the shading right ...

Comment

All right. Doing a little better. Got the Clone tool down.

Comment

Oh yes, it's always fun to see wet!Shep. The Storm/The Eye, Submersion, even The Shrine. Very yummy.

Case in point:

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/...ason2_29-1.jpg

Thanks. It's a work in progress ... now if only I could've gotten the shading right ...
                                Yeah, I was about to mention that Lizzeh still needs the shadows under her feet. Or did you leave them out deliberately as an editorial comment?
                                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Working...
                                X