No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get to SGA Rising for the Sparky version of season six? Would you also be willling to help me with a SGA sparky fic on fanfiction.net?
    sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
      Hi. I'm new to Gateworld, SGA, and the Sparky ship. I have a fanfiction account where I am working on a SGA Sparky story of my own. I could also use some help in getting around here.
      Welcome aboard, Sparky She-Demon!
      I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Hello, everyone. I'm a lurker and a fellow John/Elizabeth lover. I lurk because I don't feel my English is good enough to have any sort of meaningful conversations. But I enjoy reading your posts. Especially when it comes to fanfic.

The reason I came out of lurkdom was because I read something that got me really interested, and I can't let it go.
        Originally posted by Southern Red View Post

But then, there's a lot of fanfic out there that mischaracterizes him a lot worse than that...like making him suicidal for example. Anyone who mentions wanting children and grandchildren as much as he does cannot possibly have a death wish. Sheeesh.
        John is my favorite character, but I have watched the show only once, so my knowledge of canon is not as good as I'd like it to be. Could you please remnd me of the instances where he expressed deire to have children and grandchildren? I don't remember, but I desperately want to know. Because it's such an important piece of characterization, but I honestly don't remember in which episodes he said that. Could you please help me out?

Comment

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
          Hello, everyone. I'm a lurker and a fellow John/Elizabeth lover. I lurk because I don't feel my English is good enough to have any sort of meaningful conversations. But I enjoy reading your posts. Especially when it comes to fanfic.

The reason I came out of lurkdom was because I read something that got me really interested, and I can't let it go.

John is my favorite character, but I have watched the show only once, so my knowledge of canon is not as good as I'd like it to be. Could you please remnd me of the instances where he expressed deire to have children and grandchildren? I don't remember, but I desperately want to know. Because it's such an important piece of characterization, but I honestly don't remember in which episodes he said that. Could you please help me out?
          Welcome to the wonderful world of Sparky Raelis!!

First off let me say I think your English is very good. Secondly, the episode that comes to mind about Sheppard talking about kids or grandkids is Allies at the end of season two. I think there may be one or two more but I can't think of them at the moment.
          I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
            Welcome to the wonderful world of Sparky Raelis!!

First off let me say I think your English is very good. Secondly, the episode that comes to mind about Sheppard talking about kids or grandkids is Allies at the end of season two. I think there may be one or two more but I can't think of them at the moment.
            Thank you for the compliment and for the welcome! I am afraid I do not have a good grasp of John's characterization - he' difficult to figure out for me. I think I understand Elizabeth much better. I'm still trying to understand John, and the series did not do enough for me to get him. And seeing as there are so many different interpretation of him... Suicidal John, non-suicidal John, good soldier John, bad soldier John, screwed-up John, emotionall healthy John... I feel like I don't get him at all!

Comment

How do I get to SGA Rising for the Sparky version of season six? Would you also be willling to help me with a SGA sparky fic on fanfiction.net?
              Unfortunately the SGA-Rising site is down due to an internal problem. The experts are working on it and we hope to have it back up very soon. The link is in my sig, so keep checking that.

Help with fanfic usually comes in the form of a beta reader. I found your story "The World Goes On" and think you are way past this point since you already have 50 reviews. I'm not sure what a beta reader can do at this point. Are you considering revising the story?

Hello and welcome. I am so glad people are coming out of lurkdom. Your English is perfectly fine, by the way.

John first reacted to the idea of having kids in Childhood's End when Keras asked him if he had "young" and John said "No, not yet anyway." Then came the moment in Underground when Rodney was talking about the effects of radiation and Rodney tells John he'll be fine as long as he's not planning to have children. John gets a very concerned look on his face. I don't remember another time until Allies when he makes the comment about having grandchildren and Elizabeth gives him an odd look. So, this tells me John has plans and dream for the future, something that suicidal people don't normally have.

Thank you for the compliment and for the welcome! I am afraid I do not have a good grasp of John's characterization - he' difficult to figure out for me. I think I understand Elizabeth much better. I'm still trying to understand John, and the series did not do enough for me to get him. And seeing as there are so many different interpretation of him... Suicidal John, non-suicidal John, good soldier John, bad soldier John, screwed-up John, emotionall healthy John... I feel like I don't get him at all!
              John was the easiest to figure out for me. I think that may be because I have a lot of knowledge and experience with the US military. He acts and thinks like a soldier. Pure and simple. Off duty, he is happy go lucky, joking and playing games with his friends, but on duty he is always alert and ready to snap into soldier mode, like in The Storm/The Eye and do what he has been trained to do without hesitation. What seems like inconsistency to some people is just his automatic response to danger and his training on how to act in hostile situations. Protect civilians at all costs, complete the mission as directed (Letters From Pegasus is a good example of this.), choose the best person to complete a task and don't hesitate to use force. John is the most highly trained member of the expedition. It is obvious from his actions that he knows more about combat than the average pilot. Many people, including myself, think he must have had special ops training due to the way he reacts in dangerous situations and his knowledge of so many things that pilots ordinarily wouldn't be involved in.

He harbors a lot of guilt about the people he was unable to save, and this only grows while he is in Atlantis. He comes to think of his friends there as family and when he loses both Carson and Elizabeth, it is almost more than he can take. He tends to take more on his shoulders than is strictly necessary but feels it is his duty as commanding officer. We see this best in Search and Rescue when he tells Keller that he just can't lose anybody else if there's anything he can do to save Teyla. He's never gotten over losing Ford, a young Marine under his command that he felt responsible for, and losing Elizabeth, a close friend was the last straw. He never gives up. Look at The Last Man. And as he tells Ford in The Rising, "I plan to get us all out of here", he has no plan to die at any time. The closest we come to that is the suicide run in The Siege 2 when he saw there was no one else to go and no time to plan. This is the kind of decision making that wins a Medal of Honor in this country, and surely, no one would claim that any of those soldiers were suicidal.

There is canon evidence that John is reckless and maybe a little mentally closed off and hard to get to know, but little evidence that he is truly mentally ill. Usually when people write him that way, they are just working toward a goal of having him end up a certain way and ignore facts. That's fine in fanfic, but departs wildly from canon.

If Anuna was around, she could explain better what John is all about. I'll see if I can poke her.
              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Thank you very much for such a detailed answer! I love conversation, but I/m always kind of self-conscious about my English. This is the reason why i rarely leave reviews for fic that I liked. Picking the right word is so incredibly hard sometimes.

John first reacted to the idea of having kids in Childhood's End when Keras asked him if he had "young" and John said "No, not yet anyway." Then came the moment in Underground when Rodney was talking about the effects of radiation and Rodney tells John he'll be fine as long as he's not planning to have children. John gets a very concerned look on his face. I don't remember another time until Allies when he makes the comment about having grandchildren and Elizabeth gives him an odd look. So, this tells me John has plans and dream for the future, something that suicidal people don't normally have.
                Thank you very much for this. I confess I have forgotten all of these little moments. Time to rewatch the series,I guess. Well, as soon as I'm finished with SG-1 (which I'm watching for the first time), I may do just that!

John was the easiest to figure out for me. I think that may be because I have a lot of knowledge and experience with the US military. He acts and thinks like a soldier.
                Yes, I think itmay be the most important factor. I know very little about the military, especially the US military. I took issue with some of the 'military' decisions ion SG-1, which I couldn't understand. I guess this is why I like Elizabeth so mcuh - she respects the military, but her 'civilian' approach to things is sommething that I can understand and relate to. The 'military' vs 'civilian' tension is one of my favorite aspects of the Stargate series. Which is why I find the relationship between John and Elizabeth so fascinating.

There is canon evidence that John is reckless and maybe a little mentally closed off and hard to get to know, but little evidence that he is truly mentally ill.
                I know a person who truly believes that John is a sociopath. Although she also despises most of the Atlantis characters. Apparently they're not as upstanding and morally pure as SG-1. Her reasoning seems to be that John never verbally express regret over some of the darker things that he's done (like in Miller's Crossing or in Misbegotten or in the Eye). I cannot wrap my mind around such reasoning.

If Anuna was around, she could explain better what John is all about. I'll see if I can poke her.
                That would be great! Is she the resident John expert? I'd love to hear her thoughts!

Anyway, could anyone please recommend some fanfic to me? John/Elizabeth, naturally. I won't say no to gen fic either. I'm really interested in fanfic interpretations of John that really ring true to you. I want to understand him better. What would you consider to be the best fafic portrayals of John that are true to canon and shed some light onto him as a character? And Elizabeth too, although I feel I already understand her well.

Comment

So this is what I was gonna post when I got on last night, but somebody turned off the router and I wasn’t in the mood to walk downstairs and turn it on.

*wearily drags herself into thread*

Lucy, I'm home!

What a day! My vacation was wonderful, I had a lot of fun and enjoyed hanging out with my friends -- just the break I needed. Then I ran into every moron I possibly could on the 3.5 hour drive home. *headdesk* I finally got home and RL immediately enveloped me again. I'm already wishing for another vacation. I have the week off, so I'll just have to make the most out of it here. And by "here", I mean sitting at Starbucks with an iced coffee while I write fic, make vids, and edit pics. *smirk*

Also, while I was driving around the snobby part of West Palm Beach today, before I left, I saw this dress in a boutique window that was dropdead gorgeous, red, and would've fit Elizabeth perfectly! My friend couldn't stop for me to take a picture, so I'm gonna hafta do some research and try to find a picture. It's still haunting me. In a good way.

I'll go through the snarkfest from "Underground" later ... I'm about to collapse from exhaustion!

Night, everybody!

*thuds*
                  And on that note:

... It is Tuesday, after all.

And welcome to our new members! Happy to have you here!

Gotta go eat some lunch and write some fic. Laterz!

EDIT: Yay! 1,700 posts!
                  Last edited by ShipperWriter; 13 March 2012, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Raelis, I thought you might appreciate this site, if you haven't already seen it.

"Command Dynamics" is a fanfiction archive for Sparky fic, and a lot of regulars in the thread have stories posted there. It has a lot of diverse plots and overall Sparky hotness.

Comment

Welcome to the Sparky thread Raelis and Sparky She-Demon, it’s great to see you both here.
                      I’m pretty new myself and I can tell you that everyone here and at Gateworld have been very welcoming and nice so you’ll love it here.

And Raelis, I know how hard it is to sometimes express yourself in another languish, English isn’t my first languish either so I understand the nervousness about posting things and I’m glad to see that you’re giving it a shot and trying it, from my own personal experience it’s really the best way to learn and especially writing and communicating with people who does have English as their first languish.

I enjoyed reading what everyone have said about John’s character and I agree with what I’ve seen, I do think that he is a complicated character in some ways and easier to understand in others. Joe has a great way understanding John and he is amazing with expressing John’s feelings and thoughts but the scenes that I feel you understand him the best is the way he communicates with other characters, both those he is close too and those he meets briefly. He’s far from a perfect guy but he doesn’t dwell on his weaknesses which is admirable and show a great strength. And he is a likeable guy, very charming and charismatic which tend to sometimes get him in to heaps of trouble but it also tends to help him get out of it as well. I also feel that he does have a lot of insecurities, like the fear of losing the people that is close to him but also a big thing that wasn’t fully explored but shown a bit was his past within the military, he tells Elizabeth in ‘Intruder’ that no one ever thought he would make it past captain, when Elizabeth tells him to pick a team in ‘Rising pt 2’ he looks shocked and of course it was the part in the end of ‘Hot Zone’ when Elizabeth tells him that both General O’Neil and Colonel Sumner had warned her about him he looked a bit unsure and worried, and I think that before joining SGC and the Atlantis expedition he had I guess in a way settled for a life flying personal across Antarctica and that would be it, but then Elizabeth wanted him to join the Atlantis expedition and everything changed, suddenly he had a purpose again and people he cared about and who cared about him, he with Elizabeth as a leader he had someone who willingly stood up for him and who had a lot of faith in his abilities, he hadn’t really had that before and you can tell how hard he tried to make sure that he wouldn’t crew it up and make sure that she wouldn’t lose that faith in him, and every time he did do something to screw things up he was always nervous about her reaction, “The Game” is a good example of that. I think that the foundation of their relationship was trust and from that everything else kind of just came naturally.

I have to say that I never thought about him having any other training then “just” the air force but it does make sense, at least that he started as a marine or something like that gave him more field experience before joining the air force, well, that’s another missed opportunity right there

And those who believe mistake his bravery and the way he care for his “surrogate family” (he does say a few times that he would do anything for anyone of them) for him being suicidal I wonder if those are the same people who, especially after seeing ‘Outcast’ (where it’s pretty obvious that John grew up in a broken family) actually believe that he would put Torren in the same situation by going after Teyla, they really don’t seem to know him even a little after watching SGA for 5 seasons.
                      sigpic

Comment

Someone called me? *G*

I am flattered that people still think of me when John is mentioned. He is one of my favorite characters EVER, in anything. I can see that old debate about John being suicidal had resurfaced. Let me put down few of my thoughts to paper

John is a complex human being with lots of darkness to him, but also many positive traits. I think these traits are, through most of the series, well balanced. That proves he is an emotionally mature individual who knows how to handle himself during hard times. he's been through a lot and we have seen his dark side rear its head several times through the series. I think some people like to overemphasize his dark side and I admit I was one of those in the beginning, but as my fandom experience grew, I developed a more balanced view of John. When we first meet John he is in a position he doesn't enjoy - he doesn't mind it, but I think he definitely wasn't feeling fulfilled flying a helicopter across the frozen wasteland. We could get a glimpse into that guilt SR had mentioned. he is a guilt - prone person and every time something bad happens to one of his teammates he is going to take it personally.

I think the worst period for him was after Elizabeth was gone. Just like with Ford, I think John learned to live with it, to carry the burden, but the guilt remained. Because guilt is often his motivator, he'll be ready to do everything and anything to save his teammates and friends from peril. Still, that's pretty far away from being actively suicidal.

If John was pushed to his absolute limit (and I heavily stress if), I think he would be prone to high risk behavior that would put him in serious peril. Vegas!John was very near, but I don't think even he was pushed over the limit. I'm talking about the behavior where someone (John in dire circumstances) would chose the riskiest path to a solution on purpose. Bear in mind that it's difficult to draw a line between heroic and something many people would call plain stupid. (If anyone watched band of Brothers? Spears running across entire battlefield is walking this fine line of heroic and stupid and it's hard to tell which one is it.) People who are pushed over the limit often do many things that can cause them harm - heavy drinking, drug abuse, self mutilation, excessive work while not taking care of one's basic needs. I don't recall seeing such behavior pattern in John. Also, to be suicidal people usually need to be heavily depressed beforehand. John isn't depressed (as in, he doesn't exhibit usual signs of depression - sadness, despair, excessive crying, lack of will, disturbed sleeping and eating pattern etc.) . Trust me I' would know - I'm a shrink.

Remnants is an interesting insight into John's mind - and along with Conversion it shows us what John would be like if pushed to the limit. Many people have said that Remnants doesn't count because it was a hallucination, but I think it counts very much, because the scenario was a creation of John's mind. In that creation he was caught by his arch nemesis and he essentially created a scenario in which he did everything he could to ensure his friend's safety and survival. It meant suffering pain and excessive bodily harm, but he did not die (aka he didn't create a scenario in which he ended up dead.). In fact he fought very hard to stay alive. In Conversion John was willing to sacrifice his life if that meant preventing possible harm to his friends. he locked himself away in order not to hurt anyone, and when he got out of control, it was a very painful experience for him. He did a similar thing in Miller's crossing and took it upon himself to do something really dark, so none of his friends would have to. He often chooses to carry the heaviest burden, and I think that indicates that John has a potential to be self destructive, if put in destructive circumstances. (But anyone is like that. Some people need more to be broken unlike others). My major point here is that John was never truly broken, and I don't recall he actively wished to die.

Finally regarding fanfiction. I have written John manifesto here in this livejournal post, and there are ten fic recs, and all of them are Sparky. They're also John - significant. I tried to stay away from standard sparky recs - I've seen many rec posts and manifestos with same names and even same fics being recced over and over. I tried to include good authors who aren't extremely popular - those have had enough of fandom publicity already.

Addition! There's another important thing to bear in mind. Soldiers like John - I think we can all agree that he had some kind of special training during his career - are trained to endure extreme circumstances. Or, more simply put, they're trained not to break. John is tough, despite the fact that he has enormous ability to be hurt and feel hurt (which, in my opinion, makes him very human). he would be a very tough nut to crack.
                        I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Thank you very much for such a detailed answer! I love conversation, but I/m always kind of self-conscious about my English. This is the reason why i rarely leave reviews for fic that I liked. Picking the right word is so incredibly hard sometimes.

Thank you very much for this. I confess I have forgotten all of these little moments. Time to rewatch the series,I guess. Well, as soon as I'm finished with SG-1 (which I'm watching for the first time), I may do just that!

Yes, I think itmay be the most important factor. I know very little about the military, especially the US military. I took issue with some of the 'military' decisions ion SG-1, which I couldn't understand. I guess this is why I like Elizabeth so mcuh - she respects the military, but her 'civilian' approach to things is sommething that I can understand and relate to. The 'military' vs 'civilian' tension is one of my favorite aspects of the Stargate series. Which is why I find the relationship between John and Elizabeth so fascinating.

I know a person who truly believes that John is a sociopath. Although she also despises most of the Atlantis characters. Apparently they're not as upstanding and morally pure as SG-1. Her reasoning seems to be that John never verbally express regret over some of the darker things that he's done (like in Miller's Crossing or in Misbegotten or in the Eye). I cannot wrap my mind around such reasoning.
                          There was a lot of that going around and even some threads here that talked about how John was some sort of crazy person. Some even think he suffers from PTSD, but I don't see it. And the decisions he made in all those episodes were sound military choices.

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                          Raelis, I thought you might appreciate this site, if you haven't already seen it.

"Command Dynamics" is a fanfiction archive for Sparky fic, and a lot of regulars in the thread have stories posted there. It has a lot of diverse plots and overall Sparky hotness.
                          That's the site I was going to recommend also. Some authors who are dependably good are: Anuna, Erin87, irony_rocks, Pooh, Oparu and Bil. There are tons more by some of our thread members but most are on Live Journal.

Originally posted by Brie View Post
                          Welcome to the Sparky thread Raelis and Sparky She-Demon, it’s great to see you both here.
                          I’m pretty new myself and I can tell you that everyone here and at Gateworld have been very welcoming and nice so you’ll love it here.

And Raelis, I know how hard it is to sometimes express yourself in another languish, English isn’t my first languish either so I understand the nervousness about posting things and I’m glad to see that you’re giving it a shot and trying it, from my own personal experience it’s really the best way to learn and especially writing and communicating with people who does have English as their first languish.

I enjoyed reading what everyone have said about John’s character and I agree with what I’ve seen, I do think that he is a complicated character in some ways and easier to understand in others. Joe has a great way understanding John and he is amazing with expressing John’s feelings and thoughts but the scenes that I feel you understand him the best is the way he communicates with other characters, both those he is close too and those he meets briefly. He’s far from a perfect guy but he doesn’t dwell on his weaknesses which is admirable and show a great strength. And he is a likeable guy, very charming and charismatic which tend to sometimes get him in to heaps of trouble but it also tends to help him get out of it as well. I also feel that he does have a lot of insecurities, like the fear of losing the people that is close to him but also a big thing that wasn’t fully explored but shown a bit was his past within the military, he tells Elizabeth in ‘Intruder’ that no one ever thought he would make it past captain, when Elizabeth tells him to pick a team in ‘Rising pt 2’ he looks shocked and of course it was the part in the end of ‘Hot Zone’ when Elizabeth tells him that both General O’Neil and Colonel Sumner had warned her about him he looked a bit unsure and worried, and I think that before joining SGC and the Atlantis expedition he had I guess in a way settled for a life flying personal across Antarctica and that would be it, but then Elizabeth wanted him to join the Atlantis expedition and everything changed, suddenly he had a purpose again and people he cared about and who cared about him, he with Elizabeth as a leader he had someone who willingly stood up for him and who had a lot of faith in his abilities, he hadn’t really had that before and you can tell how hard he tried to make sure that he wouldn’t crew it up and make sure that she wouldn’t lose that faith in him, and every time he did do something to screw things up he was always nervous about her reaction, “The Game” is a good example of that. I think that the foundation of their relationship was trust and from that everything else kind of just came naturally.

I have to say that I never thought about him having any other training then “just” the air force but it does make sense, at least that he started as a marine or something like that gave him more field experience before joining the air force, well, that’s another missed opportunity right there

And those who believe mistake his bravery and the way he care for his “surrogate family” (he does say a few times that he would do anything for anyone of them) for him being suicidal I wonder if those are the same people who, especially after seeing ‘Outcast’ (where it’s pretty obvious that John grew up in a broken family) actually believe that he would put Torren in the same situation by going after Teyla, they really don’t seem to know him even a little after watching SGA for 5 seasons.
                          You have a very good handle on John. I didn't mean that he was in another branch of the service other than the USAF. I meant that pilots usually don't get special ops training beyond how to survive if they are shot down. There are training opportunities involving multiple branches of the military that he may have been recommended for that would have given him the skills he needed to do what he did in TS/TE and other times. He was definitely never a Marine. He doesn't fit the look or the profile.
                          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post

Thank you very much! I'll check it out, definitely.

Originally posted by Brie View Post
                            Thank you for the support Yes,it really is liberating to talk to native speakers and to others who speak English.I am not as nervous anymore!

And thank you for sharing your thoughts on John! They're fascinating, and I agree with everything you said here.

But putting Torren in the same situation do you mean John getting himself romantically involved with Teyla? I have nothing against John/Teyla ship, it makes sense within the context of the show even if it is not my thing. But John's relationship with Teyla is one of the things that cofuses me about him. They had a bit of subtext in the early episodes of season 1, but then it completely faded, and they both seemed to express zero romantic interest in each other from canon point of view. And then,completely out of the blue,we have that opening scene of Search and Rescue where he's hallucinating having a romantic dinner with her. I must say it kind of bothered me. I mean,yay for John/Teyla shippres, but I ned to somehow explain it away for me because I most definitely do not want to see them in this way. What do you all think of this scene? How does it make sense? Why the romantic setting,if the purpose of the scene was merely to compare Teyla to Ford as a teammate in peril?

Anuna, thank you very much for your wonderful analysis of John!
                            Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                            John is a complex human being with lots of darkness to him, but also many positive traits. I think these traits are, through most of the series, well balanced. That proves he is an emotionally mature individual who knows how to handle himself during hard times.
                            Agreed! Although it seemed to me more than once that on some occasions he was quite immature.

I think some people like to overemphasize his dark side and I admit I was one of those in the beginning, but as my fandom experience grew, I developed a more balanced view of John.
                            Yes,and others underemphasize it,it seems. John is either a cold killer, or a cute laid-back guy. I agree that he's way more complex than that!

Because guilt is often his motivator, he'll be ready to do everything and anything to save his teammates and friends from peril. Still, that's pretty far away from being actively suicidal.
                            Again,agreed! I do not believe he's suicidal. And his guilt is one of the defning character traits for John.

I think,regarding the suicial thing, it's all pretty clear in Prodigal. John is about to undertake a suicide mission, and Rodney asks, "How many suicide missions have you flown?". John answers, "I don't know, I've lost count". But as soon as another option presents itself that makes the suicide mission unnecessary, John is all, "Cool! I don't have to do this!" A suicidal person would have probably gone on this mission anyway!

Bear in mind that it's difficult to draw a line between heroic and something many people would call plain stupid.
                            Would John's behavior in Search and Rescue be an example? He goes after Teyla while being severely injured, disregarding the fact that he may be a liability to the rest of his team. Couldn't they send a team of marines to that ship to rescue her?

Also, to be suicidal people usually need to be heavily depressed beforehand. John isn't depressed (as in, he doesn't exhibit usual signs of depression - sadness, despair, excessive crying, lack of will, disturbed sleeping and eating pattern etc.) . Trust me I' would know - I'm a shrink.
                            I agree! But it seemed to me as I watched that John was somewhat sadder and more withdrawn in season 5. Still,it was a long way from full-blown depression.

He often chooses to carry the heaviest burden, and I think that indicates that John has a potential to be self destructive, if put in destructive circumstances. (But anyone is like that. Some people need more to be broken unlike others). My major point here is that John was never truly broken, and I don't recall he actively wished to die.
                            Yes,I guess this is why some people may think John is suicidal, although he's in fact not. He does indeed take too much upon himself, to the point where it seems he sees himself as more expendable than others. But if he ever actively wanted to die, he had plenty of opportunities to off himself. But he didn't. He is a survivor.

I think the question here is, WHY John chooses to put such heavy burdens upon himself. I got the feeling that the lives of his friends,their mental state,their personal happines were more important to him than his own. It's admirable,but I wonder if he himself would ever actively pursue happiness! Or is he happy already?

And thank you very much for the fic recommendations

That's the site I was going to recommend also. Some authors who are dependably good are: Anuna, Erin87, irony_rocks, Pooh, Oparu and Bil. There are tons more by some of our thread members but most are on Live Journal.
                            Thank you for the recs! Having read Anuna's analysis, I am now eager to try her fics first. Any particular recommendation? Which should I start with?

Comment

If I tend to not be coherent... the lemming is currently floored by the flu... and curled up in a little corner in Kate's office. *feels a bit miserable*

So... What do you think of it so far?
                              I'm sorry I haven't gotten around to reading it, with sleep and work, and then being sick... I'll try to get some reading done tomorrow... though this depends on the cooperation of the flu-bugs.

The lurkers spill out of the woodwork lately...

Welcome!

*the lemming greets from afar so as to not share the flu-bugs*
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday, and welcome to our two newest members, Sparky She-Demon and Raelis!

*sends Falcon Horus a BIG thermos of hot tea with lemon and honey* *huggles*

Sorry 'bout the absence this morning, I've been doing some last minute errands before I start prepping for WonderCon this weekend. Yay!

Raelis, you mentioned in particular you were seeking good John fanfic; may I direct your attention to the stories by Domenika Marzione (aka miss_porcupine on LiveJournal)? She writes gen fanfic with a strong emphasis on the military viewpoint, so her fics are primarily about Sheppard, Lorne, and the contingent of Marines on Atlantis, but she is also very Weir-friendly and does hint more than once at the special bond that Weir and Sheppard forged. There's also a strong thread running through her stories based on the "sentient Atlantis AI" theory. A few of my favorites are (in no particular order): Just Like the Richard Gere Movie, It's Always the Quiet Ones, Eat Your Heart Out, Peggy Fleming, and At Lib. Happy reading!
                                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Working...
                                X