No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    OMG, where to start. Gateraid, those caps are some of your best. I'd hate to know I had to pick a favorite.

Your observations on Rising are on the mark also. I never can make up my mind about ship in the pilot. I know plenty of people who picked Sparky as the canon ship after watching it, but if you go with the obvious intent, all the signs point to Sheyla. So many times, a show that continues past the pilot becomes almost the opposite in a lot of ways very quickly. I think that's what seems to have happened here, even if they deny it.

In the real world, Elizabeth would have had very little say so over the choice of military personnel. John correctly automatically became commander because of rank and as long as they were cut off, that worked. But once they got reestablished a new commander would have been sent without regard to what she wanted. If indeed, the President let her pick someone, then it would have taken a direct order from him, as Commanding Officer of the military, to convince those Generals to let Shep stay. But they didn't have time to do all that so we have to give them creative license.

And Shep had to go on that first mission so he could turn on the necklace to bring the Wraith. I can just see the writers pondering over that one and deciding to mix a little ship in with the whole thing to kill two birds with one stone. Too bad one of them landed like a rock.
    *snerks at the writing fail on many fronts*

SK is watching Downton Abbey! Yay! Another one joins the crowd.
    Heck yeah!
    Spoiler:
    ZOMG, poor Matthew. Of course, I've also read the spoilers.

We've gotten a bit into my second section of The Rising: exploration of Atlantis to first mission, but can discuss that more, if you wish. How about Mr. SR's favorite part, "Spaceships!!!!!!"? How must the expedition members have been feeling? And then came the "OMG, we're all gonna die" section.

Also what are your thoughts on the actual mission to Athos? John and the kids. Sumner's treatment of Teyla. The outcome with the arrival of the Wraith. We'd probably best avoid the John/Teyla parts. I think we all know what we think about those.
    ZOMG, if Shep was a fish out of water just walking around Stargate Command, he was really out of his element on the mission to Athos. At least, he was during the first part of it. I admit, I had to headdesk right along with Sumner when John couldn't figure out that Halling was his name. Honestly, I didn't get all bent out of shape about the way Sumner acted towards Teyla. Under the circumstances, it was understandable that he'd be cautious, and it does carry over quite well to the continued questions about the Athosians in general through Suspicion.

The Wraith, of course, were BADASS and super scary. The way that the Keeper said that she and her crew were merely the "caretakers" for those who were still asleep made me wonder if the ones we were seeing were not even the real Wraith, but just minions, and the real Wraith were even more hideously alien. (Coming off of Babylon 5, with its greater number of non-humanoid aliens, I was expecting more. Oh well, we'll fix that with the next big baddie in Atlantis Rising. )

The squee over spaceships was cool, and I had figured that if they were going to be introduced that early, we'd probably see them get used before the end of the pilot. I do wish we had gotten to see a little more of the city before everything started going to hell in a handbasket with the shields and the 'OMG we're all going to dieeee!' moments.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

*snerks at the writing fail on many fronts*

Heck yeah!
      Spoiler:
      ZOMG, poor Matthew. Of course, I've also read the spoilers.

ZOMG, if Shep was a fish out of water just walking around Stargate Command, he was really out of his element on the mission to Athos. At least, he was during the first part of it. I admit, I had to headdesk right along with Sumner when John couldn't figure out that Halling was his name. Honestly, I didn't get all bent out of shape about the way Sumner acted towards Teyla. Under the circumstances, it was understandable that he'd be cautious, and it does carry over quite well to the continued questions about the Athosians in general through Suspicion.

The Wraith, of course, were BADASS and super scary. The way that the Keeper said that she and her crew were merely the "caretakers" for those who were still asleep made me wonder if the ones we were seeing were not even the real Wraith, but just minions, and the real Wraith were even more hideously alien. (Coming off of Babylon 5, with its greater number of non-humanoid aliens, I was expecting more. Oh well, we'll fix that with the next big baddie in Atlantis Rising. )

The squee over spaceships was cool, and I had figured that if they were going to be introduced that early, we'd probably see them get used before the end of the pilot. I do wish we had gotten to see a little more of the city before everything started going to hell in a handbasket with the shields and the 'OMG we're all going to dieeee!' moments.
      I'm glad you dropped by. I needed a break from working on my cookbook. OMG, how do you people with desk jobs stand working at a computer all day? I would have run screaming from my office. Good thing I was able to move around in the classroom. Anyway.

While we were watching Rising, Mr. SR made some very interesting comments about the decisions the military guys were making. While he thought Sumner should have been more sensitive to the fact that he was on another planet and a young female leader shouldn't have been shocking, he also thought John made a whole series of bad decisions from a command standpoint. The biggest was when he went off to rescue Sumner, leaving Ford behind. Ford was right there.

All emotion aside, they never should have trusted the Athosians like they did. For all they knew these people could have been some sort of dangerous enemy like the Goa'uld. You can't go on appearances. If I had been the leader, I would have quarantined them and ripped Sheppard a new one. But we can't dwell on reality, especially in a SciFi show that's rated PG.

The Wraith started out so scary with the potential for being even worse, but the further along they went the easier they got to kill. Too bad because they were a really good creation.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Con tickets ordered! No backing out. Gotta get the hotel and flight booked now. I still can't believe I'm doing this. If you'd had asked me 2 years ago if I'd ever go to a convention I would have laughed my butt off.

OT on kitty whump:
        Spoiler:
        My kitty went for his teeth extraction today. He had to have 2 teeth surgically extracted. We just got him home and he's all red eyed and loopy. But he's okay.

I'm glad you dropped by. I needed a break from working on my cookbook. OMG, how do you people with desk jobs stand working at a computer all day? I would have run screaming from my office. Good thing I was able to move around in the classroom. Anyway.
        Well in my job I'm allowed to take walks. There are some folks who are more glued to their desks, though.

While we were watching Rising, Mr. SR made some very interesting comments about the decisions the military guys were making. While he thought Sumner should have been more sensitive to the fact that he was on another planet and a young female leader shouldn't have been shocking, he also thought John made a whole series of bad decisions from a command standpoint. The biggest was when he went off to rescue Sumner, leaving Ford behind. Ford was right there.
        That's true, considering John was the only one who could even fly the jumper at that point. But then that's one of those "big damn hero" things that happen on TV.

All emotion aside, they never should have trusted the Athosians like they did. For all they knew these people could have been some sort of dangerous enemy like the Goa'uld. You can't go on appearances. If I had been the leader, I would have quarantined them and ripped Sheppard a new one. But we can't dwell on reality, especially in a SciFi show that's rated PG.
        Oh I absolutely agree. Elizabeth is quite correct in her argument to John on the balcony. She says maybe one of them brought the Wraith. For all they knew, it could have been that way. And then I've read people (who just happen to ship John with someone else) say how stupid Elizabeth's argument was about maybe negotiating with the Wraith. We find out in Before I Sleep that the Ancients tried that. And they were pretty bright.

The Wraith started out so scary with the potential for being even worse, but the further along they went the easier they got to kill. Too bad because they were a really good creation.
        Yes, the Wraith started out very scary and hard to kill. The idea of them making you see things completely went away after season 1. It takes a nuke flown into a hive ship to destroy one in season 1 but then in season 5 it only takes a few drones.

Comment

Hi all!! Just wanted to let you know I'm still alive but RL is still being annoying.

Hopefully I'll be able to come back more often soon.

Just finished reading some of the posts I've missed. Thanks for the kind words everybody!!!

I really liked all the posters as well!
          Last edited by mandogater; 02 February 2012, 03:25 PM.
          I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Ford even mentioned that he should've been the one to go after Sumner. And rightly so.

No kidding! And let's not forget the possibility of unknown contagions. Yeah, let's get infected by some sort of alien virus and get everyone sick and dead. Sheesh.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
            Con tickets ordered! No backing out. Gotta get the hotel and flight booked now. I still can't believe I'm doing this. If you'd had asked me 2 years ago if I'd ever go to a convention I would have laughed my butt off.

OT on kitty whump:
            Spoiler:
            My kitty went for his teeth extraction today. He had to have 2 teeth surgically extracted. We just got him home and he's all red eyed and loopy. But he's okay.
            Yay, con! I hope you have lots and lots of fun meeting Torri and Joe! *hugs*

And I hope your kitty feels better soon! Poor thing!

Oh I absolutely agree. Elizabeth is quite correct in her argument to John on the balcony. She says maybe one of them brought the Wraith. For all they knew, it could have been that way. And then I've read people (who just happen to ship John with someone else) say how stupid Elizabeth's argument was about maybe negotiating with the Wraith. We find out in Before I Sleep that the Ancients tried that. And they were pretty bright.
            *snorts* No doubt those people would point to that as an example of how the Ancients were also stupid. Which in itself is stupid, since John wouldn't be the John we all know and love without his own Ancient inheritance. Ooops.

We of course would look at it with a more positive eye. Namely, that it's evidence of how both Elizabeth and the Ancients try to live with more nobility and compassion than others. Perhaps they didn't always succeed, but at least they tried.

Yes, the Wraith started out very scary and hard to kill. The idea of them making you see things completely went away after season 1. It takes a nuke flown into a hive ship to destroy one in season 1 but then in season 5 it only takes a few drones.
            I guess they were supposed to be super drones.

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
            Hi all!! Just wanted to let you know I'm still alive but RL is still being annoying.

Just finished reading some of the posts I've missed. Thanks for the kind words everybody!!!

*hugs* Glad to see you! I hope you'll be able to come around more often soon!
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I am so excited for you. It is going to be beyond your wildest dreams. And another word of advice, don't pay any attention to what people tell you to say or do. Just go with the flow and make the best of the few minutes you'll have with them.

Well in my job I'm allowed to take walks. There are some folks who are more glued to their desks, though.
              We went out with SR Jr. and Miss M last night and she was telling us about how the day before when it was 70°F here, her boss came in and said they needed to replace her computer and could she find a way to kill a couple of hours? Duh? She had lunch outside on a bench and went for a long walk around the "campus" of her company.

SIDEBAR: No one ever accused me of being swift, but in working on my cookbook I figured out how to do the ° sign. Yay me. *snort*

Ford even mentioned that he should've been the one to go after Sumner. And rightly so.

No kidding! And let's not forget the possibility of unknown contagions. Yeah, let's get infected by some sort of alien virus and get everyone sick and dead. Sheesh.

Yay, con! I hope you have lots and lots of fun meeting Torri and Joe! *hugs*

And I hope your kitty feels better soon! Poor thing!

*snorts* No doubt those people would point to that as an example of how the Ancients were also stupid. Which in itself is stupid, since John wouldn't be the John we all know and love without his own Ancient inheritance. Ooops.

We of course would look at it with a more positive eye. Namely, that it's evidence of how both Elizabeth and the Ancients try to live with more nobility and compassion than others. Perhaps they didn't always succeed, but at least they tried.

I guess they were supposed to be super drones.

*hugs* Glad to see you! I hope you'll be able to come around more often soon!
              They needed someone like Weir to contrast with the military mindset. As much as I love the military guys, they tend to shoot first and forget to ask questions. That would have made the show boring, and they would have had to come up with a lot more enemies. They needed Weir to be diplomatic and provide interest, and with better writers we would have seen more scenes like the ones with her and John arguing.
              sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

SIDEBAR: No one ever accused me of being swift, but in working on my cookbook I figured out how to do the ° sign. Yay me. *snort*
                Gotta love special characters.

They needed someone like Weir to contrast with the military mindset. As much as I love the military guys, they tend to shoot first and forget to ask questions. That would have made the show boring, and they would have had to come up with a lot more enemies. They needed Weir to be diplomatic and provide interest, and with better writers we would have seen more scenes like the ones with her and John arguing.
                Indeed. That was a problem that plagued SG-1, and they still hadn't really learned that lesson by the time SGU rolled around.

Better writers? That would be us.

Comment

sigpic
                  My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                  poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                    I was going to try to come up with a caption, but then I realized how fluffy that leather coat makes teh hair look, and I totally lost my train of thought.
                    sigpic

Comment

I was going to try to come up with a caption, but then I realized how fluffy that leather coat makes teh hair look, and I totally lost my train of thought.
                      So true!

But damn, John and Lizzeh do look so very hot together there.

Comment

What a great Friday afternoon!

I've cried twice at work this week. Kids are insane nowadays! How do they lose their morals, values, sense of respect in just a few years? Heck, I'm only 23 but it wasn't that long ago that I was in school, and you got written up just for looking at a teacher the wrong way.

Rant concluded.

Yep, love that last pic of Sparky. And SR, you're right. John's hair is just *droolz*

mandogater, good to see you! Sorry RL is crummy right now -- I'm in the same boat.

gateraid, love your captions! And hey, this is a discussion thread -- all of our opinions, no matter how diverse, are welcome.

JT, sorry to hear about your kitty whump. The mental image reminds me of when we first moved to Florida. We gave our cat a tranq on the way down that didn't take full effect, and he was a Maine coon, so he was singing during the entire 700 mile trip. *headwindow*

I have the weekend fairly free. I'm not going to any Super Bowl parties. Truth be told, I'm not in the mood to actually socialize with anyone right now.

So I come here.

I'm gonna try and get some more of my vid/fics done. We'll see!

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post

I've cried twice at work this week. Kids are insane nowadays! How do they lose their morals, values, sense of respect in just a few years? Heck, I'm only 23 but it wasn't that long ago that I was in school, and you got written up just for looking at a teacher the wrong way.

Rant concluded.

Yep, love that last pic of Sparky. And SR, you're right. John's hair is just *droolz*

mandogater, good to see you! Sorry RL is crummy right now -- I'm in the same boat.

gateraid, love your captions! And hey, this is a discussion thread -- all of our opinions, no matter how diverse, are welcome.

JT, sorry to hear about your kitty whump. The mental image reminds me of when we first moved to Florida. We gave our cat a tranq on the way down that didn't take full effect, and he was a Maine coon, so he was singing during the entire 700 mile trip. *headwindow*

I have the weekend fairly free. I'm not going to any Super Bowl parties. Truth be told, I'm not in the mood to actually socialize with anyone right now.

So I come here.

(((teacher hugs))) They made me cry my first year too. After that, it was the other way around, baby. But seriously, we were talking about just this subject with SR Jr. and Miss M last night. Her mom is a teacher also, and they agree that we are saints. But SR Jr. did say that if I had continued teaching, I'd probably be either in the nervous hospital or jail. LOL

I'm glad we are your safe haven.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hey everybody, are we doing Hide and Seek on Sunday? I hope we are. It wouldn't interrupt the Superbowl if we do it at 4:30ET/1:30PT again. I'm actually probably not even going to a party. You don't want me to get started on the reasons behind that. Needless to say I'm annoyed.

Originally posted by mandogater View Post

Hi there! Nice to see you around. Sorry RL is still being a pain.

You got it!!

We went out with SR Jr. and Miss M last night and she was telling us about how the day before when it was 70°F here, her boss came in and said they needed to replace her computer and could she find a way to kill a couple of hours? Duh? She had lunch outside on a bench and went for a long walk around the "campus" of her company.
                            She's lucky. We have an extra laptop on our team so we never get out of work like that.

Indeed!

So true!

But damn, John and Lizzeh do look so very hot together there.
                            Oh my yes - with their matching black jackets. Now John's leather jacket there is a GOOD leather jacket. Not like the clubbing ones they had in seasons 4 and 5.

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post

Rant concluded.

So I come here.

Awww!! I'm sorry!!

Comment

Reply with quote is not working on me today!!! Urgh!!!

I think that working at a school is tougher for someone in my position because, not only is there such a small age gap between me and the students so they frequently think that I attend rather than work, but also because I'm an interpreter, not a teacher, so they all think I'm just another ESE aide they can walk all over.

Ugh. Thank God the work week is done. Unfortunately, there is a huge front hanging over Florida and it's been grey all day.

Now for some work on my Sparky!vid!

Comment

3 hours later ...

Yup. Haven't done anything. Programs kept hanging up on me!!!

*looks around* Where is everybody tonight? So loooooonely ...

Comment

Working...
                                X