No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@gateraid, I agree with JT, your new avatar is wonderful!

Falcon, you have to accept my follow request on Twitter. I can't see your tweets, dude! Also, you do look like Torri's younger sister

Re seasons 4 and 5 - I watched for John. He's my favorite character after all, but I have to say, it was so hard watching at times, especially when it comes to Vegas - as Eri once said so wonderfully, this episode reflects what SGA was/could be/ where and how it failed. And it ended just like Vegas!John did. What lead to it all were all the wrong decisions on part of PTB, but if there was one event that changed all for teh worse - and there was such an event - it was getting rid of Elizabeth.
    I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      Am I the only one who thinks the two of you could be sisters? Same smile, same eyes. Very cool.
      Err... really... must take a closer look...

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
      Hopefully I won't let you down. So far it looks good to me but I want another set of eyes to look it over before I post.
      I'm easy to please. Don't worry.

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
      And Mandogater makes three!! Maybe FH could be her stand in if Torri ever does any movies in Belgium?
      Would be fun - a stuntdouble could be fun too.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
      Nope, I think so too.
      I'm gonna have to really have to take a closer look.

You mean that she tapped his butt?
      Of course she did...

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
      Falcon, you have to accept my follow request on Twitter. I can't see your tweets, dude!
      Re twitter: I accepted you though. But I haven't twittered anything since sunday. I'm still learning. Can you see the one tweet about Torri? And how do those hashtags work? I need a twitter-lesson.

Also, you do look like Torri's younger sister
      Okay, so this coming weekend I'm going to check her out again to see where the similarities are as far as looks go.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

@FH - twitter is easy. You can upload an avatar (much like here and on LJ), design your twitter bacground (go to profile to do all that). A hashtag is something like a tag on other social networks - for example if you click on a hashtag for SGA ( #SGA) Twitter whill give you all public tweets containing this hastag. You can make up your own hashtags.

Netspeak is accepted on twitter, and it's only place where I tolerate it (it irks me on tumblr, to be honest, and on livejournal and in chat it's just plain rude. if you're talking to someone take enough time to say properly whatever it is that you want to say. We can use it in ironic context, but it's incredibly irksome when someone uses it all the time.)

Anyway - go have fun with twitter and spam us!
        I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

And I'm a goofball again... I'm looking a lot like this smiley here -> <- which was entirely not my intention... so hopefully no goofing up this weekend.

Comment

LOL. Why is it I can't seem to stop watching? And that line from Mrs. Doubtfire just popped into my mind about "Brace yourself."
            It really is an all encompassing hug. Although the image of John being hugged by Mrs Doubtfire is.....strange

I love that scene! First off, there's the subtly suggestive "Put me to work, Colonel". Again I go back to what they *should* have done if they were writing a different ship - they could have put John with Teyla. Imagine Teyla's "your friendship is very important" line going to John instead of Ronon. That would have seemed shippy. Instead they play that with Teyla/Ronon. If they'd gone the other way then the whumpers would have been happy to see him get beat up.

Anyway, I'm glad it happened the way it did. John obviously wanted to keep his Lizzie close.
            They didn't do it that way because then they would've had to write John's response to "your friendship is very valuable to me", and since they hadn't figured out what that was, they went with the easier one to write

I read a fic and I can't remember which one (might have been by havocthecat) where Elizabeth tells John that Phoebus wanted John to think she wanted to f&&& him. Yup, exactly. That's why John kept licking his lips and his voice cracked.
            I didn't catch that word, there must be a glitch somewhere

Ok you know I'm getting a slashy vibe out of that, right?
            It was the wrong type of mountain for that

Yes, I agree. His Rodney can be super irritating and his McShep banter can be annoying. He did great in Echoes, though.
            Yes, yes, yes. He has a tendancy to beat one over the heat with the McShep banter, which is a shame because he's a really good writer.

gateraid - love your new avatar!!!
            Thanks, but it's not mine. Snurched from quiet_jay over on LJ

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            And I'm a goofball again... I'm looking a lot like this smiley here -> <- which was entirely not my intention... so hopefully no goofing up this weekend.
            Cute, and very adorkable
            sigpic

Comment

One more thing about Progeny - the gun twirling at the beginning? That was so clearly Ronon showing off. The poor Spankies were just as fooled as us.

Re seasons 4 and 5 - I watched for John. He's my favorite character after all, but I have to say, it was so hard watching at times, especially when it comes to Vegas - as Eri once said so wonderfully, this episode reflects what SGA was/could be/ where and how it failed. And it ended just like Vegas!John did. What lead to it all were all the wrong decisions on part of PTB, but if there was one event that changed all for teh worse - and there was such an event - it was getting rid of Elizabeth.
              I never thought of that, but yes Vegas was a reflection on the series as a whole.

It was certainly a reflection on John. He loses a woman he loves, he falls apart and becomes grim. (Hurry up and return his Lizzie to him already, SGA Rising crew!! )

(And no, John was not OOC for the whole of seasons 4 & 5. )

Netspeak is accepted on twitter, and it's only place where I tolerate it (it irks me on tumblr, to be honest, and on livejournal and in chat it's just plain rude. if you're talking to someone take enough time to say properly whatever it is that you want to say. We can use it in ironic context, but it's incredibly irksome when someone uses it all the time.)
              I agree. Only on twitter do I not get annoyed by the "u r" instead of "you are" because you only have so many characters. Otherwise I find it lazy. *shrugs* I have been called a grammar snob before even though my own grammar is far from perfect.

That's another nice picture!! I love your costume!!!!!!

Sugar for you:

sugar.jpg

Comment

One more thing about Progeny - the gun twirling at the beginning? That was so clearly Ronon showing off. The poor Spankies were just as fooled as us.
                Well duh, how else do we get girls to notice us? If she hadn't given him that look, he'd have had to resort to pulling her hair

I never thought of that, but yes Vegas was a reflection on the series as a whole.

It was certainly a reflection on John. He loses a woman he loves, he falls apart and becomes grim. (Hurry up and return his Lizzie to him already, SGA Rising crew!! )

While I was responding to something elsewhere, it occured to me that s4 is really muddled up. In other seasons, there are things contained within individual eps that I don't like, but with season 4, it's like the whole season needs to be tweaked. I'm not going to go into ways that may have improved things (been there, done that, and after all it's IMO anyway) but they really needed to sit down at the start of the season and figure out what they wanted to do. Shift the endings of some, alter characters in others, change the focus of yet more, delete some eps altogether (Trio, I'm looking at you).....

Edited to add:
                Spoiler:

"Atlantis truly came out from under the shadow of its sister series this year and proved that it's a hit in its own right. With this season's exciting new characters and vibrant storylines, Atlantis also shows every sign of matching its sibling's longevity."

That was from someone at sci-fi pimping the show. How can it come out from the shadow of the other series when the prop it up with guest appearances from it's stars?

I agree. Only on twitter do I not get annoyed by the "u r" instead of "you are" because you only have so many characters. Otherwise I find it lazy. *shrugs* I have been called a grammar snob before even though my own grammar is far from perfect.
                wot r u talkg bout? my grmer iz sic

Sugar for you:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32526[/ATTACH]
                Just don't eat it all at once, that much sugar will put you in a coma!!
                Last edited by gateraid; 26 October 2011, 02:38 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Eeeeee! You look so adorkable there! Torri totally should've had a goofier look on her face, though.

Oh geeze, tell me about it! If there was any shipping group that really got shafted, it was the Spankies.

We're working on it!

Amen to that. *joins in the *

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                  While I was responding to something elsewhere, it occured to me that s4 is really muddled up. In other seasons, there are things contained within individual eps that I don't like, but with season 4, it's like the whole season needs to be tweaked. I'm not going to go into ways that may have improved things (been there, done that, and after all it's IMO anyway) but they really needed to sit down at the start of the season and figure out what they wanted to do. Shift the endings of some, alter characters in others, change the focus of yet more, delete some eps altogether (Trio, I'm looking at you).....

Edited to add:
                  "Atlantis truly came out from under the shadow of its sister series this year and proved that it's a hit in its own right. With this season's exciting new characters and vibrant storylines, Atlantis also shows every sign of matching its sibling's longevity."

That was from someone at sci-fi pimping the show. How can it come out from the shadow of the other series when the prop it up with guest appearances from it's stars?
                  I couldn't have said it better myself.
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Cute, and very adorkable
                    Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                    Eeeeee! You look so adorkable there! Torri totally should've had a goofier look on her face, though.
                    Adorkable it is then...

Thank you. Torri loved it as well, and wondered if I wasn't too warm with all those layers of clothing. I lied that I wasn't cause in reality I was. And then she continued to say she thought it was cold in Belgium (it was a sunny weekend). It was only afterwards that I realized she's used to LA-temperatures, not the 16 degrees Celsius we had.

Just don't eat it all at once, that much sugar will put you in a coma!!
                    I'll save some for later then.

Comment

Sugar for you:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32526[/ATTACH]
                      Indeed. I still feel pain for the Spankies. Now that was a perfect ship never realized. Stoopid.

And the part about John being OOC for all of S4-5 just makes me ROTFLMAO. How can he be out of character that long when he's being written by the same people who invented the character and wrote him in character for all the other years? He changed. Pure and simple. You (general you) may not like where the character went, but he was not OOC. There were times when newer writers didn't do as good a job as the old timers in writing him and others, but looking at him overall, you see a progression from cocky, happy-go-lucky to sad and serious with a few attempts at the old humor that didn't always work. That's the John I saw consistently in S4-5. And Vegas!John was just our John without his friends to temper the dark side.

OT
                      Spoiler:
                      Mr. SR and I just watched "Good Day For It" on Netflix streaming. Good movie, if a bit slow. Joe was superb. You could feel his fear.
                      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

earthling posted a new video. We're up to Underground. It's more cracktastic fun!

Spoiler:

Poisoning the Well:

Underground:

Rachel's voice sounds like a chipmunk when sped up. LOL!!!!

I didn't catch that word, there must be a glitch somewhere
                        You mean frak? Or frell? You're right - it wasn't either of those.

I found the fic and it was by havocthecat. It's Whispers To Their Souls To Go. It's NC-17 so not for the kiddies.

Well duh, how else do we get girls to notice us? If she hadn't given him that look, he'd have had to resort to pulling her hair
                        And that might make her wig fall off so that would be bad.

wot r u talkg bout? my grmer iz sic
                        Your so funny. You're grammer is grate. I bet SR loves it to. The too of us r silly like that. We compliment each other good.

Oh geeze, tell me about it! If there was any shipping group that really got shafted, it was the Spankies. :
                        Yeah, they had some pretty obvious romantic imagery of their own. Doing splits on the bed while Ronon leans in the doorframe? Hello??

Indeed. I still feel pain for the Spankies. Now that was a perfect ship never realized. Stoopid.

And the part about John being OOC for all of S4-5 just makes me ROTFLMAO. How can he be out of character that long when he's being written by the same people who invented the character and wrote him in character for all the other years? He changed. Pure and simple. You (general you) may not like where the character went, but he was not OOC. There were times when newer writers didn't do as good a job as the old timers in writing him and others, but looking at him overall, you see a progression from cocky, happy-go-lucky to sad and serious with a few attempts at the old humor that didn't always work. That's the John I saw consistently in S4-5. And Vegas!John was just our John without his friends to temper the dark side.

OT
                        Spoiler:
                        Mr. SR and I just watched "Good Day For It" on Netflix streaming. Good movie, if a bit slow. Joe was superb. You could feel his fear.
                        Poor woobie John. Of course he's sad. They took away his love. Again and again and again.

OT
                        Spoiler:
                        I haven't seen the whole movie but I'd seen Joe's scenes. He was very good in that. It was quite a different kind of character and he rocked it. It's good to see him getting good roles despite being disliked by some stupid people.

Comment

Adorkable it is then...
                          Heehee!

Thank you. Torri loved it as well, and wondered if I wasn't too warm with all those layers of clothing. I lied that I wasn't cause in reality I was. And then she continued to say she thought it was cold in Belgium (it was a sunny weekend). It was only afterwards that I realized she's used to LA-temperatures, not the 16 degrees Celsius we had.
                          Heh! Yeah, living out in SoCal definitely thins the blood.

Yep yep. I can't tell you how many times I see the "Shep was sooooo OOC in S4-5" whining and I just want to laugh my butt off. Geeze, were they even watching the same show we were?

OT
                          Spoiler:
                          OMG.
                          Spoiler:
                          Is that out on DVD yet? And fear? FEAR?!?!?! I MUST see this!
                          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

OT
                            Spoiler:
                            OOC is a silly criticism. OOC-ness is responding differently to the same situation on a seperate occassions (at least as it relates to tv). The situations changed around John. What he was presented with in s4/5 was vastly different to the previous 3yrs, of course he was going to react differently *shakes fist*

You mean frak? Or frell? You're right - it wasn't either of those.
                            Close, but no cigar. Drat

And that might make her wig fall off so that would be bad.
                            Ouch I get why she was wearing a wig - to make her hair consistent, and to make it easy to switch between Rachel and the stunt doubles - but she looked a lot better without it IMO

Your so funny. You're grammer is grate. I bet SR loves it to. The too of us r silly like that. We compliment each other good.
                            Supa. Wuz worried 4 bit but u set my mind @ eez

Yeah, they had some pretty obvious romantic imagery of their own. Doing splits on the bed while Ronon leans in the doorframe? Hello??
                            And she touches her boob as well. Take a look if you don't believe me.

Heehee!

Heh! Yeah, living out in SoCal definitely thins the blood.
                            But it's soooo hot there. Ridiculously hot for those of us that live at lower latitudes

Yep yep. I can't tell you how many times I see the "Shep was sooooo OOC in S4-5" whining and I just want to laugh my butt off. Geeze, were they even watching the same show we were?
                            There were many AU's
                            sigpic

Comment

i hate when people say that characters were acting out of character. in season 4-5, we got to see a different side of John Sheppard.

We saw Joe Portray a John that was on the verge of tears in "Adrift" to getting Henry Wallace to become wraith food in "Miller's Crossing" to pointing a gun at Jervis's head and asking him "Give me one reason why he [John] shouldn't blow the guy's head [Jervis] off." in "Outsiders" to an Alternate Reality version of John where John was a cop and had a gambling problem and was dishonorably discharged from the Air Force in "Vegas" and i liked it.

The Writers gave us a more darker look at john sheppard than we were used to seeing. I think that without Elizabeth around, the guy really does have a dark side that i wish we could've seen more of.
                              Last edited by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard; 26 October 2011, 09:23 PM.

Comment

OOC is a silly criticism. OOC-ness is responding differently to the same situation on a seperate occassions (at least as it relates to tv). The situations changed around John. What he was presented with in s4/5 was vastly different to the previous 3yrs, of course he was going to react differently *shakes fist*
                                Exactly. *nods*

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                                i hate when people say that characters were acting out of character. in season 4-5, we got to see a different side of John Sheppard.

We saw Joe Portray a John the was on the verge of tears in "Adrift" to getting Henry Wallace to become wraith food in "Miller's Crossing" to pointing a gun at Jervis's head and asking him "Give me one reason why he [John] shouldn't blow the guy's head [Jervis] off." in "Outsiders" to an Alternate Reality version of John where John was a cop and had a gambling problem and was dishonorably discharged from the Air Force in "Vegas" and i liked it.

The Writers gave us a more darker look at john sheppard than we were used to seeing. I think that without Elizabeth around, the guy really does have a dark side that i wish we could've seen more of.
                                I wish we could've seen more of it, too. Take the gloves off and let John run amok already! Of course, we got a glimpse of it even when Elizabeth was around. Let's not forget what he did in The Eye.

Comment

Working...
                                X