Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
    I am already at the edge at the end of chapter two....

Spoiler:
    I guess it's the return of Queen Teyla....ps....I HATE MAYEL! Maybe because I know she's really bad yet she is acting like a friend to Atlantis
    Don't hate her.
    Spoiler:
    She's not deliberately deceiving him. Just stick with us. It's all a way to take John to the edge. Our boy has a lot of challenges ahead.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

How many episodes is Mayel scheduled for?

Comment

Have you ever find that Kolya takes Liz Fic

and she is perfect.....why are they getting back together in my crossover...it's inevitable, like Jack Harkness flirting.
        Nope. Darnit.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
          Hiya, mandogater! Wow, it's great to see all these old friends dropping by! As SR mentioned, we've started posting episodes of Atlantis Rising, and we're still talking Sparky! Good times.
          It's good to be back. I just read the first two episodes of Atlantis Rising and I'm loving it!!!

I do feel the need to clarify here. I didn't leave by choice. For some reason when I tried to log into the forum the wedsite wouldn't let me otherwise I'd have never left. I quit trying for a while so I wouldn't throw the computer out the window and then two days ago I saw someone that made me think of our buddy FH and decided to try again and here I am. Hopefully there won't be any more glitches and I can continue to join in the Sparky fun. *knocks on wood.*
          I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
            How many episodes is Mayel scheduled for?
            Keep reading. All will be revealed in the future.

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
            It's good to be back. I just read the first two episodes of Atlantis Rising and I'm loving it!!!

I do feel the need to clarify here. I didn't leave by choice. For some reason when I tried to log into the forum the wedsite wouldn't let me otherwise I'd have never left. I quit trying for a while so I wouldn't throw the computer out the window and then two days ago I saw someone that made me think of our buddy FH and decided to try again and here I am. Hopefully there won't be any more glitches and I can continue to join in the Sparky fun. *knocks on wood.*
            Glad you like it. We have some amazing writers.

Computer problems can be a real bear. I've been having all sorts of glitches and crashes, and on a Mac that's quite unusual. Turned out it was my wireless keyboard. Who knew? What a relief to be able to surf without frustration.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
              Glad you like it. We have some amazing writers.
              With well thought out plots and excellent writing what's not to like?

Comment

If it's anything like the time my uncle's mule ate green apples, I don't want to know.
                It wasn't like that, but you still probably don't want to know

And having the Wraith become more like humans and giving them a sympathetic story is canon? You're right, we can't possibly move the story forward unless we add to canon. I think that's something, unless you've actually tried to write a story, some people will never understand. Yes, new things happen. But no, the characters will react in the same ways, have the same personality and morals, and be the same people they always were. Yes, they might, unlike in the show, grow from an experience, but they will never be unrecognizable. For example, John will not suddenly start babbling about his feelings and telling stories about his mother.
                As long as the difference in characterisation between 'episodes' is only as different as, say, a Marty G ep vs a Carl Binder ep (or whomever), that's all that really matters

I'm not sure yet if
                Spoiler:
                Mayel is more like either of them or if she's just totally different. She has elements of both Liz and Teyla, but being Genii, she is also unique.
                Spoiler:
                Whohoo for new characters

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                I know you guys have sort of moved on from this discussion but I just remembered more points about him I suppose to be fair to Mike, I think the idea behind his character was, (at the most basic level) conceptually sound. As in, I don't really have a problem with the idea of giving Weir an episode long love interest, per say. After John or Rodney or Carson got one, it would seem only fair. It's just the way they went about setting up his appearance made the execution of that idea seem so awkward and contrived.
                I liked the idea of the episode, but to me, it didn't ring true that because everyone had a day off, they'd suddenly become concerned about who everyone else was hooking up with. I mean, it's not like people only talk about work when they're there, so surely this could've come up at some point prior to this episode?

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                I agree. I think the anvil of "see - this is why Sparky wouldn't work" anvil is what annoyed me about him. Well, except for him being pushy but not in a cute John way.
                And yet to me, it also illustrated why it would work. I guess I'm just hopeless

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                The TPTW track record as far as writing romantic relationships is concerned isn't something to write home about. This should have been warning enough - they weren't/aren't/won't be able to get it right.... ever.

People see what they like to see of course, no matter how hard TPTW are trying to not write it. Or write it but fail.

I mean they wrote that sexually tense moment between John and Teyla in The Rising, and then .... *waits* ...nothing. So, if they were intending to do something with it... in my opinion they failed at it big time.

I can understand why people have so much trouble picturing Teyla and Kanaan as the happy Athosian couple seeing as how we virtually know nothing of either of them, and we hardly ever saw them together. Which again is a genormous fail on the part of TPTW.

Personally, I didn't start actively shipping until Kate and Teyla, but as far as I was concerned Sheppard and Weir were a done deal. Their interactions and chemistry seemed to be a natural flowing thing... it just was and still is. Though I think it's in part that TPTW tried so hard to ignore it that they unintentionally created a spark. Shippers don't need much sometimes - Kate and John never even had a scene together (one on one I mean, without anyone else present) and yet I ship them. It's that look in Michael that did it!

I do hate how they yanked everybody's chains with the hints and hugs, and whatnot. While it's of course fun to watch episodes like that (my ships rarely got that though, if ever), it's highly frustrating when it seems like even TPTW don't know what they really want. They say one way and write another.

And a wise lesson to all... bashing a character or other pairing to make your own look better - not cool!
                I hate to fall into the cliche of trying to pair Teyla up with every else but Sheppard, but to me, that's how she came across. Rachel is such a radiant personality, which was always illustrated when she had scenes with Claire/Kate, even though they actually covered some fairly heavy material. So when I look at some of the Shep/Teyla scenes, and Teyla doesn't come across in the same manner, it's kinda why I don't ship them. There's potential, sure (and I think if they'd done it right in s4 it could've worked), but it never really played out all that well.

Get out of my head. Stop reading my mind. I can't count how many times back in the early days that I said that very thing about "you're like a sister to me". That's all it would have taken with either ship, come to think of it.

I'm like you, I watched from the beginning. I fell in love with Joe/Shep when I saw the commercial with him and Amanda before the show even started. So, it was all downhill from there. Being a hopeless romantic, I couldn't wait to see what ship they had cooked up for him. When I saw in The Rising that it was intended to be Teyla, I accepted it but knew I would never like it. Then I remember starting to notice all the little things with Elizabeth and wondering what was up. By 38 Min I was a total Sparky shipper and never looked back.

<snip>
                Well, not entirely like me

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                Hello all! Long time....*eases cautiously out of lurkdom*

<snip>

I do actually have a point here somewhere - I'm trying to get there. I've seen male lead/female lead shipping frequently condemned as a cliche, but as SK pointed out, tropes are usually tropes for a reason. Lost in the condemnation of the trope as a cliche is the reality that it's usually only the female lead character (again, assuming there is one) that is developed enough and given enough agency and equality with the male lead to be able to stand with him on an equal playing field. And I think it's that sense of partnership and equality that attracts shippers. It seems, from my outside observations, that oftentimes male lead/female lead pairings will develop a large following even if it isn't written into the show. I know there were a lot of Mac/Stella shippers for CSI:NY, although the show never indicated that there was anything between them but friendship. And judging from the comments I read on the spoiler blogs, Benson/Stabler had a huge following on L&O: SVU even though apparently one of those characters was married (I don't actually watch that show). There's quite a few Pete/Myka shippers out there too although Warehouse 13 seems (at this point anyway) determined to label that relationship platonic.

So it's not a surprise to me that John/Elizabeth developed the following it did, even if the writers actually never intended it (although, I have to admit, I still am a bit dumbfounded at that). JT-2 is right as far as what the three most predominant relationships on the show were as far as screentime went. To me, even shipping aside, John and Elizabeth were clearly partners and friends with a close bond, and I still feel that perhaps only Rodney is as close to him as she was, though in a different way. There were all the ingredients there for a ship, if the writers had chosen to do something with it. I personally didn't come over to the John/Elizabeth side until Adrift, and seeing John tear up when Keller talked to him. Everyone has different things that pushes their buttons I guess, and for me I guess it took the big dose of angst to get me to sign on. I just wish it had had a happier ending.

I need to stop rambling now, and see if this made any sense at all - it did in my head! *darts back into lurkdom*
                Welcome back I agree about the lead/lead thing. Funnily enough, on BSG, I had seen some stuff on the net about Roslin/Adama, so when I actually watched the show and saw that they hated each other, I was like "wth? shippers are crazy". The lead/lead thing is common for the reasons you outlined above about them being equals, and also because it's generally easier to shoot your two leads in the same scene, hence all the office scenes on SGA.

Hiya, mandogater! Wow, it's great to see all these old friends dropping by! As SR mentioned, we've started posting episodes of Atlantis Rising, and we're still talking Sparky! Good times.

Glad you got to see it! That brief hold right before the end was because they didn't get the signal that the 'beanie cap' on the top of the external tank had retracted. They had to turn one of the launchpad cameras to check on it, and once they saw that the cap had fully retracted like it was supposed to, they resumed the countdown.

ZOMG.
                Somehow, I'm not particularly comforted by that. The handbrake light in the ute won't turn off, but it's not like the ute is going to explode because of it.

I am already at the edge at the end of chapter two....

Spoiler:
                I guess it's the return of Queen Teyla....ps....I HATE MAYEL! Maybe because I know she's really bad yet she is acting like a friend to Atlantis
                I'm actually loving Mayel so far, and the flirting, which shocks me as I usually hate that kind of thing. But she's smart and dedicated. I like it.
                I'm in the
                Spoiler:
                loving Mayel camp. I wish I didn't know what was happening further down the line, because it'll lessen the full effect of it

Well, welcome back regardless And I can sympathise with computer problems - the keyboard on this one (my old one) doesn't work properly, whilst my new one is supposedly getting checked out for a new screen (I dropped it)
                sigpic

Comment

You know you've made it when.......

Spoiler:
                  Trust

Spoiler:

dream.jpg

Ohh, this is familiar, a dream sequence. Todd? I don't have those sorts of feelings for you

:todd: WTF? This is Rising, not Legacy, my Queen

Phew, that's a relief <insert plot here>
                  sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday! Not so lazy for me, though. Today I'm reorganizing my office.

Eeek! Quite a few of us have been having computer problems lately. It's really annoying when you can't do what you want to do because of misbehaving technology. Hopefully the problems will be coming to an end soon so we can get back to having fun with Sparky!

Oh, and gateraid? You are a naughty, naughty boy.
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday! Not so lazy for me, though. Today I'm reorganizing my office.

Eeek! Quite a few of us have been having computer problems lately. It's really annoying when you can't do what you want to do because of misbehaving technology. Hopefully the problems will be coming to an end soon so we can get back to having fun with Sparky!

Oh, and gateraid? You are a naughty, naughty boy.
                      I was busy all day. It sure was quiet in here though. I went to see Transformers. Loved the 'bots, hated most of the people.
                      sigpic

Comment

Ok so I have a question for you all. If they were going to make Sparky canon within the context of the show (yeah, I know, that would never have happened - just a 'what if'), how would you have done it? Let's also assume it wouldn't be TPTW writing it because we all know they can't write good ship.

I don't think they could have done it while she was still his boss, even though I don't have any issues reading fic with that in it. But in canon, I don't think it would work (just IMHO) because the IOA would have a fit.

However, if they'd brought her back after BAMSR as a diplomat/translator type person, then they could have gone through with it I think. Or they could wait 'til the last episode as some shows tend to do.

How would you have wanted the ship portrayed? Would you want to see one kiss? What would you want to see?

If this has been discussed already, please ignore me.

Comment

*grins* I think you've answered your own question. But just for the record... Stay tuned to Atlantis Rising.
                          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

*grins* I think you've answered your own question. But just for the record... Stay tuned to Atlantis Rising.
                            I KNEW you were going to say that.

Comment

From your mouth/fingers to the ears/eyes of every deity ever worshipped on this planet!

Comment

I KNEW you were going to say that.
                                MUAHAHAHAH!

From your mouth/fingers to the ears/eyes of every deity ever worshipped on this planet!
                                Amen to that!

Comment

Working...
                                X