No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John was listed as being between 35 and 40 years old. Elizabeth was listed just as being 35. so there wasn't exactly that much of an age difference.

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
      Oh, the bedroom scene

I'm not sure which scene I would consider to have the most 'tension' out of this and the Misbegotten scene. To me, it seemed like you could cut it with a knife here, but that's only my interpretation. IMO, she calls him Colonel because she was caught off guard by him being at her bedroom door, and distanced herself a little by calling him by his rank. He called her Doctor because he was teasing her.
      Remember, Gero wrote this. Obviously he was making sure we realized (a year and a half later) that their hug meant nothing.

You're still talking about the phone book, right?

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      Indeed. We deserve a whole article at least.
      I'm thinking thesis.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      The first part of that sounds a lot like the commentary. Gero said they told him writing about a day off was too boring and needed some excitement. And they admitted to killing Carson to "shake things up". The ship stuff is probably true too. I wouldn't put it past them.
      All I know is someone in the writer's room watches Grey's Anatomy.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
      I haven't seen that movie. Just added it to my Netflix queue which is getting WAY too long.
      You too?
      sigpic
      sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

Moonstruck was on Netflix streaming so I watched it. Very funny.

Yeah, it's hard to know what the character's ages are. Based on the casting notes, Teyla was supposed to be nearer to Ford's age. All we can really go on is the actors ages, which are pretty close. And she was/is younger than he is. Some people like to say otherwise, but they can eat my socks
        Dirty socks?

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post
        Remember, Gero wrote this. Obviously he was making sure we realized (a year and a half later) that their hug meant nothing.
        That was my thinking as well. He (finally) saw the sparks in Coup and was bound and determined to rid the screen of them from there on out. Of course, Joe and Torri turned the dinner scene into serious flirting. So nice try, Marty. I find it completely ironic that he set up so many of the major Sparky scenes early in the series but then went so far the other way. But I still think it was BW helping him with the early episodes because the same person could not have written both The Storm/The Eye as well as Brainstorm.

And yes, my Netflix queue is so long there's no way I'll ever get through it all!

Comment

That was my thinking as well. He (finally) saw the sparks in Coup and was bound and determined to rid the screen of them from there on out. Of course, Joe and Torri turned the dinner scene into serious flirting. So nice try, Marty. I find it completely ironic that he set up so many of the major Sparky scenes early in the series but then went so far the other way. But I still think it was BW helping him with the early episodes because the same person could not have written both The Storm/The Eye as well as Brainstorm.

And yes, my Netflix queue is so long there's no way I'll ever get through it all!
          Exactly. I think Sparky must have worked on his subconscious given the way he wrote many scenes. Even in season 4 we got the scene in Adrift where Keller basically treats John as Elizabeth's husband next of kin. Of course Joe made that scene with the tears in his eyes. But Gero didn't need to write that scene at all. Just have Keller come out and tell the whole team together.

I need to win the lottery so I can stay at home and watch Netflix all day. LOL
          sigpic
          sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

Who can understand what TPTW think about things? At least we can say that we think with logic.

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post
            I'm thinking thesis.
            LOL! That's true, isn't it? Sparky could fill whole libraries.

Dirty socks?
            I wasn't here when the whole stinky socks thing came about, but it's one of those insider things with the anti S4-5 crowd. Falcon Horus can tell you more.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Pocus View Post
              I think Torri's bday is in Dec '66 and Joe's bday is Feb '67. I could be wrong. I just remember thinking that I am older than both of them....BUT NOT BY MUCH!!!!! *shifty eyes*

ETA IMBD has Torri as Dec 6 1969
              Joe's birthday is Jan 5, 1967, so there's a bigger age difference than I thought. Torris is younger, in case anyone missed it. LOL

Well, the best lies incorporate the truth, or so they say *shrugs*

I had to go and look that up. I don't know why I assumed he was (shows how little attention I gave him)

From GW's transcript:

I assumed he was in his civvies, and grew the beard really quickly. The scientist thing makes a lot more sense I also figured the beard was a bit like Cadman's hair - not really allowed, but allowed for tv. And Carter's hair, for that matter.

I'm not even sure I did refer to it properly. Both the name, and what the song describes.

Eri's was much better, and more believable, sadly.

Yeah, it's hard to know what the character's ages are. Based on the casting notes, Teyla was supposed to be nearer to Ford's age. All we can really go on is the actors ages, which are pretty close. And she was/is younger than he is. Some people like to say otherwise, but they can eat my socks

^ what Pocus said
              Don't even get me started on the women's hair. At least at times, Carter tried to tame it but those whispy parts hanging in her face would not be happening. I remember when SR Jr. was in the Air Force military high school. He had a friend with long curly hair. She had to smooth it down and pin it up above her collar. When she took the pins out, he said her hair just exploded. LOL And as a Marine, Cadman would have been under even stricter rules. We'll give them literary license on that one one though. No need to get nitpicky. I'm learning to be sensitive to that since getting involved with SGARising.
              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                I wasn't here when the whole stinky socks thing came about, but it's one of those insider things with the anti S4-5 crowd. Falcon Horus can tell you more.
                Ahhh - the stinky sock days. "Season 4 Stinks Like My Sock" rings a bell with me. LOL
                sigpic
                Signature by Erin87

Comment

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
                  Ahhh - the stinky sock days. "Season 4 Stinks Like My Sock" rings a bell with me. LOL
                  I remember that too. I was a member of the anti-S4 thread but I left in S5 once I realized I had been wrong about oh so many things of a shippy nature.

I just finished editing Trust, chapter 3. The interpersonal moments between characters is at its best in this one I think. There's a moment between
                  Spoiler:
                  John and Jinto
                  that's just heartbreaking. Plus a couple of little
                  Spoiler:
                  shippy bits that are amusing and cute.
                  OMG, I just realized how that sounds.
                  Spoiler:
                  The shippy part has nothing to do with the John/Jinto part. OMG.
                  sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

Joe's birthday is Jan 5, 1967, so there's a bigger age difference than I thought. Torris is younger, in case anyone missed it. LOL
                    For those without a calculator handy, that means Joe is about two years and eleven months older than Torri. So if we were to go by actors' ages determining characters' ages, does that mean that Sheppard would be robbing the cradle in dating Weir? LOL!

Don't even get me started on the women's hair. At least at times, Carter tried to tame it but those whispy parts hanging in her face would not be happening. I remember when SR Jr. was in the Air Force military high school. He had a friend with long curly hair. She had to smooth it down and pin it up above her collar. When she took the pins out, he said her hair just exploded. LOL And as a Marine, Cadman would have been under even stricter rules. We'll give them literary license on that one one though. No need to get nitpicky. I'm learning to be sensitive to that since getting involved with SGARising.
                    And then there's Sheppard's hair. No way would the Air Force allow those unruly spikes and cowlicks to go untamed. But then we wouldn't have The Hair, and that would just go against the laws of nature.

So, no petty nitpicking.
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I remember that too. I was a member of the anti-S4 thread but I left in S5 once I realized I had been wrong about oh so many things of a shippy nature.
                      And how so many of the changes that ticked us off also ended up giving us even more to celebrate. (Even though TPTW surely didn't intend for that to happen. Too bad for them. )

I just finished editing Trust, chapter 3. The interpersonal moments between characters is at its best in this one I think. There's a moment between
                      Spoiler:
                      John and Jinto
                      Spoiler:
                      OMG, I just realized how that sounds.
                      Spoiler:
                      The shippy part has nothing to do with the John/Jinto part. OMG.

Comment

Originally posted by southern red View Post
                        i remember that too. I was a member of the anti-s4 thread but i left in s5 once i realized i had been wrong about oh so many things of a shippy nature.

I just finished editing trust, chapter 3. The interpersonal moments between characters is at its best in this one i think. There's a moment between
                        Spoiler:
                        john and jinto
                        Spoiler:
                        omg, i just realized how that sounds.
                        Spoiler:
                        the shippy part has nothing to do with the john/jinto part. Omg.
                        lmao!!

Comment

Dirty socks?
                          Stinky socks - not dirty...

Anti's rule!
                          Anti's rock!
                          Anyone else can eat my sock!

Those were the days... *remembers them fondly*

There's a Stinky Sock thread in OT -> The Stinky Sock Association (SSA)

Plenty of stinky sock movement in the Anti-season 4 thread in the general SGA area.

And, there are also the plenty manips and anti-images to share - I still have a few up in my bucket-account. For anyone wanting to reminisce on the old days - have fun!:

Spoiler:
                          Funky Stuff - everything up to the Lemming-ized Atlantis images was inspired by most of the things talked about in the Anti-season 4 or 5 thread.
                          Anti - also inspired by much of what was going on in the anti-threads
                          Cartoons - though only ever had one entry
                          Manips - again inspired by SGA events and GW discussions
                          Falcon Horus Productions - the things one can do with official photo's that look horribly photoshopped

He and I, and Paul McGillion celebrate our b'days that day.

At least at times, Carter tried to tame it but those whispy parts hanging in her face would not be happening.
                          I like AT with long hair, much like she's wearing it now for the character of Helen Magnus.

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
                          Oh those days...
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                            There shouldn't be just a tidbit.
                            You're right....it should be a novel. There are a lot of layers to Sparky, the respect, the affection, the body language, the latent flirting, the closet

But in all seriousness, from a psychological standpoint no matter how much the writers object it, I should have wrote an essay on them for my gender studies class. They are the perfect visual example of the psychological development of a romantic partnership.
                            BALCONIES
                            The Breeding Ground of Ships.
                            sigpic

Comment

Oh, and Mike was not military. He was a scientist. Even the Navy wouldn't allow a beard like that. LOL
                              Actually there's a loophole to the beard rule.....John Sheppard.Oh yeah speaking of which why wouldnt sparky work of the guy she is attracted to looks like Joe in Ephiany?
                              BALCONIES
                              The Breeding Ground of Ships.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
                                Actually there's a loophole to the beard rule.....John Sheppard.Oh yeah speaking of which why wouldnt sparky work of the guy she is attracted to looks like Joe in Ephiany?
                                Because even the writers were unaware that they were writing Sparky. LOL And I hadn't made the connection before, but the unkempt Mike beard was a lot like the unkempt Shep beard, wasn't it? If they had wanted someone who was not a John type, why wasn't Mike short and blonde with blue eyes, or maybe built like a football player with lots of muscles and very very neat hair. But instead, they gave us Johnlite. Gero was a subconscious Sparky. He just refused to admit it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X