• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stargate_ren:
    Spoiler:
    OMFrakkinG!

Peter's gonna die. I just know it.

But I love the Rodney "hypochondriac" bit at the end. And calling them sorcerers. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
      Hey, I thought of another "eyelove" scene. The meeting with Elizabeth and John's team in Misbegotten. They look at each other with some intense affection.

Spoiler:
      http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/alb...l_302_1119.JPG
      ]http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/atl_season3/302-Misbegotten/screencaps/normal_atl_302_1121.JPG

John's eyes never leave Elizabeth. He's a man smitten.

And poor Rodney just wants Lizzie to look at him that way.
      Wow, you guys were busy last night. I love it.

That scene in Misbegotten was amazing in a lot of ways. I think I stared at the screen with my mouth open through the whole thing. It was so unexpected the way he just almost turned his back to the rest of them and never stopped staring at Elizabeth. Just like he was drinking her in with his eyes and overcome with emotion. Thanks to Rodney for breaking the tension with a joke, John was able to mumble a few words that she didn't have to say any more.

Now, you might wonder why he didn't want her to keep talking. Was he sick of her making it all about her and just wanted her to STFU and get back to business? Hardly. *snicker*

He was afraid of his own emotions. It has been established that John is not a man who easily talks about feelings, so naturally this talk of how she felt about seeing their faces again would make him uncomfortable. As usual he said it all with his face and his eyes. And never, not once, did he take his eyes off her until Rodney broke the tension.

Pretty obvious that he can't stand the sight of her?
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        Wow, you guys were busy last night. I love it.

That scene in Misbegotten was amazing in a lot of ways. I think I stared at the screen with my mouth open through the whole thing. It was so unexpected the way he just almost turned his back to the rest of them and never stopped staring at Elizabeth. Just like he was drinking her in with his eyes and overcome with emotion. Thanks to Rodney for breaking the tension with a joke, John was able to mumble a few words that she didn't have to say any more.

Now, you might wonder why he didn't want her to keep talking. Was he sick of her making it all about her and just wanted her to STFU and get back to business? Hardly. *snicker*

He was afraid of his own emotions. It has been established that John is not a man who easily talks about feelings, so naturally this talk of how she felt about seeing their faces again would make him uncomfortable. As usual he said it all with his face and his eyes. And never, not once, did he take his eyes off her until Rodney broke the tension.

Pretty obvious that he can't stand the sight of her?
        I also love that it's one of the few 'emotional' scenes where he doesn't get the John-is-uncomfortable look. Same with the scene in "The Real World". He is very comfortable with her, and seems to know how to deal with her showing emotion, which honestly is a little odd, considering he gets uncomfortable with most others. And it started out that way (in Siege III with the hug he's still Johnny-uncomfortable). But it seems to be something he grows out of--in Misbegotten, The Real World, Lifeline when he consoles her in the infirmary--all those things he seems to be the sort of take-charge-of-Elizabeth (or take care of her).
        Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
          I also love that it's one of the few 'emotional' scenes where he doesn't get the John-is-uncomfortable look. Same with the scene in "The Real World". He is very comfortable with her, and seems to know how to deal with her showing emotion, which honestly is a little odd, considering he gets uncomfortable with most others. And it started out that way (in Siege III with the hug he's still Johnny-uncomfortable). But it seems to be something he grows out of--in Misbegotten, The Real World, Lifeline when he consoles her in the infirmary--all those things he seems to be the sort of take-charge-of-Elizabeth (or take care of her).
          Hmm? I never thought of it that way but you are so right. There's such an intimacy sometimes between them, especially on the balcony or in her office. The dropped voices, the soft tones and "this is just between us" body language. It shows in so many scenes. Like this one, which in no way is shippy, but just shows how close they were. See how it starts out professional, they effectively read each others minds and then it gets personal and flirty.

First the transcript.

Spoiler:
          SHEPPARD: Do you believe him?

WEIR: Well, he has a ZeeP.M.

SHEPPARD: What about the other stuff? Evil Cowen?

WEIR: He's lying about something. (John nods his agreement.) When Cowen handed over two of his atomic weapons to us, it was a sort of olive branch, and I would hate to jeopardise what little momentum we have going with them.

SHEPPARD: Stick with the devil we know.

WEIR: Exactly.

SHEPPARD: So, give 'em the heads-up, tell the Genii he's planning something?

WEIR: I think so. I'll tell Ladon that we need a bit more time and to set up a way to contact him.

SHEPPARD: I left one of our best Special Ops guys on the planet when we searched him. If Ladon goes anywhere, my guy will find him.

WEIR: Good thinking.

SHEPPARD: Could've been Mensa!

Spoiler:
          sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
            I thought everybody had a crush on her, well maybe not Lorne. For some reason I always thought of him as Sheppard's watchdog keeping on eye on Elizabeth and his team for him when he couldn't.
            Oh, even Lorne is crushing on her. But he knows better than to sneak in on Sheppard's territory.

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
            I was actually thinking more of some of those drawings of alternate setting versions of the characters that I've seen somewhere.
            Ah, okay. Drawings are fine; it's the photo manips that'll trip you up.

Definitely take care of her. He always seems to know just what she needs, when she needs it, and the same goes for her knowing what he needs. The instinctual level that their intimacy appears to operate on really speaks to the true nature of their feelings. They really, really, REALLY like each other. Anyone who tries to claim they're just "friends" is fooling themselves.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Hmm? I never thought of it that way but you are so right. There's such an intimacy sometimes between them, especially on the balcony or in her office. The dropped voices, the soft tones and "this is just between us" body language. It shows in so many scenes. Like this one, which in no way is shippy, but just shows how close they were. See how it starts out professional, they effectively read each others minds and then it gets personal and flirty.

First the transcript.

Spoiler:
              SHEPPARD: Do you believe him?

WEIR: Well, he has a ZeeP.M.

SHEPPARD: What about the other stuff? Evil Cowen?

WEIR: He's lying about something. (John nods his agreement.) When Cowen handed over two of his atomic weapons to us, it was a sort of olive branch, and I would hate to jeopardise what little momentum we have going with them.

SHEPPARD: Stick with the devil we know.

WEIR: Exactly.

SHEPPARD: So, give 'em the heads-up, tell the Genii he's planning something?

WEIR: I think so. I'll tell Ladon that we need a bit more time and to set up a way to contact him.

SHEPPARD: I left one of our best Special Ops guys on the planet when we searched him. If Ladon goes anywhere, my guy will find him.

WEIR: Good thinking.

SHEPPARD: Could've been Mensa!

Y'know, I wonder if we could trace where he changed? Obviously they have all kinds of connection in S1--he's quite obviously invested in her in The Storm/The Eye--and by Before I Sleep he's giving her presents and remembering her birthday. But it's interesting to trace the evolution of his character to the point where he feels he knows her so well he can scoff at Kolya's presumptions in CG--or be absolutely certain of what she'd want in Adrift (and he does presume correctly). Was it because he, so tentative to trust anyone, was not really ever disappointed by her in that department? That she constantly relied on him and showed him that? That she 'got him?' Interesting points of evolution from Elizabeth as regards him following TS/TE:

- In HZ she gives him the okay to save the City even after he's royally ticked her off *LOL*
              - IN LFP she asks him to speak to Sumner's family--she believes him worthy of it
              - In Siege II she honors his wishes for the self-sacrifice, though it's clear she doesn't want it--but she accepts it, which, IMO, proves to John she's behind him 100%.
              - Siege III she consoles him over Ford, knowing he's upset, despite the fact that Ford's actions could have set them up for disaster.
              - Intruder: He finds out that she's the one responsible for keeping him 2IC AND for possibly earning him that promotion. (I think this is a KEY MOMENT)
              - Duet: She trusts his judgment on Ronon
              - Conversion: She doesn't abandon him (I think this is almost a turning point for how he feels, because here the lines are blurred between personal and professional. Interesting in that she makes the decision not to risk any more lives to save him but she will face him personally to tell him that.)
              - Epiphany is another interesting one from his POV, because he thinks they've abandoned him and you see him take that out on her--until she explains to him what happened. One of the few times he tests her (after HZ) and she basically dispels his belief by reassuring him his presumption was wrong.

As I'm going through the list in real time here, I find it interesting: that after Epiphany, you have a slew of episodes with fun flirty moments or tandem moments: Critical Mass (tandem as far as what to do), GUP (Chocolate and Peanut butter), The Tower (King scene), The Long Goodbye (um, choosing to host Thalen for Liz????), Coup d'etat (tandem & flirty), Michael (tandem). But nothing is really questioning or showing her belief or trust in him. They're more like 'in sync' moments, unless--am I thinking of it wrong?

After that, it seems like everything is chemistry on a roll. That really is curious. We don't have to see her earn his trust, but we do get that trust repaid--defending her honor in Misbegotten, the Sateda mention, the disappointment in Irresistible, the dream sequence in Progeny, of course The Real World where he won't leave her and Common Ground where he, at that point, is completely certain she's coming for him. The only eppies that break that continuity are The Returns, where he plays flippant with his friendships on Earth--and that's across the board, not just Elizabeth.

Am I being too specific? Or is it that the first half of season 2 does actually evolve the way he sees her, until Epiphany settles all his doubts about how she truly feels--the she completely trusts him, heart and soul? And then from then on it's the J&E show?

Is Epiphany really an epiphany? HMM. That's curious.
              Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Y'know, I wonder if we could trace where he changed? Obviously they have all kinds of connection in S1--he's quite obviously invested in her in The Storm/The Eye--and by Before I Sleep he's giving her presents and remembering her birthday. But it's interesting to trace the evolution of his character to the point where he feels he knows her so well he can scoff at Kolya's presumptions in CG--or be absolutely certain of what she'd want in Adrift (and he does presume correctly). Was it because he, so tentative to trust anyone, was not really ever disappointed by her in that department? That she constantly relied on him and showed him that? That she 'got him?' Interesting points of evolution from Elizabeth as regards him following TS/TE:

- In HZ she gives him the okay to save the City even after he's royally ticked her off *LOL*
                - IN LFP she asks him to speak to Sumner's family--she believes him worthy of it
                - In Siege II she honors his wishes for the self-sacrifice, though it's clear she doesn't want it--but she accepts it, which, IMO, proves to John she's behind him 100%.
                - Siege III she consoles him over Ford, knowing he's upset, despite the fact that Ford's actions could have set them up for disaster.
                - Intruder: He finds out that she's the one responsible for keeping him 2IC AND for possibly earning him that promotion. (I think this is a KEY MOMENT)
                - Conversion: She doesn't abandon him (I think this is almost a turning point for how he feels, because here the lines are blurred between personal and professional. Interesting in that she makes the decision not to risk any more lives to save him but she will face him personally to tell him that.)
                - Epiphany is another interesting one from his POV, because he thinks they've abandoned him and you see him take that out on her--until she explains to him what happened. One of the few times he tests her (after HZ) and she basically dispels his belief by reassuring him his presumption was wrong.

As I'm going through the list in real time here, I find it interesting: that after Epiphany, you have a slew of episodes with fun flirty moments or tandem moments: Critical Mass (tandem as far as what to do), GUP (Chocolate and Peanut butter), The Tower (King scene), The Long Goodbye (um, choosing to host Thalen for Liz????), Coup d'etat (tandem & flirty), Michael (tandem). But nothing is really questioning or showing her belief or trust in him. They're more like 'in sync' moments, unless--am I thinking of it wrong?

After that, it seems like everything is chemistry on a roll. That really is curious. We don't have to see her earn his trust, but we do get that trust repaid--defending her honor in Misbegotten, the Sateda mention, the disappointment in Irresistible, the dream sequence in Progeny, of course The Real World where he won't leave her and Common Ground where he, at that point, is completely certain she's coming for him. The only eppies that break that continuity are The Returns, where he plays flippant with his friendships on Earth--and that's across the board, not just Elizabeth.

Am I being too specific? Or is it that the first half of season 2 does actually evolve the way he sees her, until Epiphany settles all his doubts about how she truly feels--the she completely trusts him, heart and soul? And then from then on it's the J&E show?

Very curious, isn't it?

I think I'm going to have to save this entire conversation for future reference when it comes to writing John/Elizabeth. Especially for Atlantis Rising. Really, I think you and SR have nailed it on the head.
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I agree on the conversion thing John as a bug almost strangles her but she still stays by him knowing it's just the effects of the bug. To me that's love.
                  BALCONIES
                  The Breeding Ground of Ships.
                  sigpic

Comment

I don't think you're being too specific at all. I think, for maybe the first time, someone has put it all in perspective. Amazing that after all these years, we can still find new ways of looking at this ship.

I do think it was an Epiphany for John. He finally got past his abandonment issues and knew, as illustrated in CG, that his friends would never forget him. He took that out on her in Epiphany because he thought she was the last one who would leave him behind. And in CG, he knew he would have to use his command authority in that situation to order her to not meet Kolya's demands. Now that is two people who get each other.

I don't see them as ever having sat down and spelled all this out either. From the progression you presented above, it was clear that it came about through experience and working close together every day. Too bad we never got the "off the clock" conversations that would explain all this for those who didn't notice it, but I'm not sure how anyone could still deny they are at the very least very close friends. You know what a canon fanatic I am. I can't delude myself into thinking anything happened off camera or in subtext that spells all this out. That's what fanfic is for.

It just all makes me wonder again about TPTB. If they were not writing this ship, they had a funny way of showing it. It reminds me of shows like Castle and Bones, where the ship of choice is just so very very clear. How could anyone doubt it?

And you know what else, after the Marseilles con, the whole fandom will see that Joe/Torri chemistry and wish we could go back and do it right. Oh wait....there's SGARising. \o/
                    sigpic

Comment

I don't think you're being too specific at all. I think, for maybe the first time, someone has put it all in perspective. Amazing that after all these years, we can still find new ways of looking at this ship.

I do think it was an Epiphany for John. He finally got past his abandonment issues and knew, as illustrated in CG, that his friends would never forget him. He took that out on her in Epiphany because he thought she was the last one who would leave him behind. And in CG, he knew he would have to use his command authority in that situation to order her to not meet Kolya's demands. Now that is two people who get each other.
                      And by the same token, Elizabeth had to order John to leave her behind in Lifeline. As much as we might hate the behind-the-scenes shenanigans that gave rise to that episode, there's no denying that the characters' reactions here were spot on.

I don't see them as ever having sat down and spelled all this out either. From the progression you presented above, it was clear that it came about through experience and working close together every day. Too bad we never got the "off the clock" conversations that would explain all this for those who didn't notice it, but I'm not sure how anyone could still deny they are at the very least very close friends. You know what a canon fanatic I am. I can't delude myself into thinking anything happened off camera or in subtext that spells all this out. That's what fanfic is for.

It just all makes me wonder again about TPTB. If they were not writing this ship, they had a funny way of showing it. It reminds me of shows like Castle and Bones, where the ship of choice is just so very very clear. How could anyone doubt it?
                      It's like I said before; it's instinct. John and Elizabeth just know.

As for TPTW, who knows? But I'd rather not mull on what they might have been thinking, know what I mean?

And you know what else, after the Marseilles con, the whole fandom will see that Joe/Torri chemistry and wish we could go back and do it right. Oh wait....there's SGARising. \o/
                      Yeah. And we all know what Joe wanted to see...

Spoiler:

Chemistry. They haz it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                        And by the same token, Elizabeth had to order John to leave her behind in Lifeline. As much as we might hate the behind-the-scenes shenanigans that gave rise to that episode, there's no denying that the characters' reactions here were spot on.

It's like I said before; it's instinct. John and Elizabeth just know.

As for TPTW, who knows? But I'd rather not mull on what they might have been thinking, know what I mean?

Yeah. And we all know what Joe wanted to see...

Spoiler:

Chemistry. They haz it.
                        Video evidence, we haz it. You are ebil in so very many ways.
                        sigpic

Comment

Video evidence, we haz it. You are ebil in so very many ways.
                          LOL! Hey, you know that someone had to bring up that video at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                            LOL! Hey, you know that someone had to bring up that video at some point.
                            Indeed, and it shows just what they were expecting to happen in S3. More of this:

Spoiler:

and this

Spoiler:
                            sigpic

Comment

Indeed, and it shows just what they were expecting to happen in S3. More of this:

and this

Yup and yup. Sure seemed pretty obvious to just about everyone, didn't it? *starts licking lips*

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                                Does the lemming have a bucket list? We should get started.
                                My what?

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                                900 posts! Only 100 more till I hit 1,000, and only 19,000 more till I catch up with FH.
                                Good luck!

*high fives* I love Merlin but I have so much trouble with the changes in "canon" I almost drive Mr. SR batty. And that's not even history.
                                In the Merlin thread someone asked about the legend and after some googling we summarized that it depends which version of the Legend you read and from which time-frame it dates. While I'm not happy with the way Morgana has developed in Merlin, I can't help but watch anyway... it's all Katie McGrath's fault.

However, I will always and ever pick Merlin over that horrifying Camelot-thing from Starz....

We have enough problems today with the rewriting of history for political reasons, we don't need to do it for fictional purposes.
                                Rewriting history - it's a hobby which has been around for as long as Homo species has been around and has been able to write or draw his history on rocks, paper or other surfaces.

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                                Rodney's got Keller so he should be grateful.
                                Watched Brainstorm last week, and I didn't even mind them... heck, they looked great together. Seriously, I watched with a completely different set of eyes there. I was like meh... whatever.

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                                I knew I liked you for a reason!
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X