Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Hey, how did I miss you last night? Welcome to the Sparky thread! Stick around and join the conversation! We have cookies!
    :
    I'm sneaky that way hehe And any place that has cookies has to be good!

Originally posted by Probie View Post
    Hello newbie!!!!
    Welcome here!
    I'm sure I already saw you somewhere (your username reminds me something). And now you're worried because you think I'm a stalker but no.lol
    Haha! I'm not that worried, just as long as you aren't worried that I know you real well from all my lurking. lol I joined a couple years ago but had to make a decision between this and school. Unfortunately, school won, but I'm back!
    "The heart does things for reasons that reason doesn't understand"
    sigpic

Comment

A present for everyone I've had a very good day and thought that everyone should have a nice way end their day. Carson so knows *credit to nothingbuttherain*
      "The heart does things for reasons that reason doesn't understand"
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jack's petunia View Post
        Haha! I'm not that worried, just as long as you aren't worried that I know you real well from all my lurking. lol I joined a couple years ago but had to make a decision between this and school. Unfortunately, school won, but I'm back!
        So you know I'm the serious girl in this thread.lol
        You prefer school......Interesting choice.lol
        Thanks for the pic. Yes Carson knows like Caldwell, Teyla, Ronon, Kolya,..........
        sigpic
        Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Day 31: How it should have ended

Believe it or not, this is a tough one. Given that you can't change anything in canon, we have to start at the end of EatG. First of all, it would have to be a two-parter. Secondly, we'd see everybody who matters come out to the balcony, including Kanaan, Torren, Lorne, Zelenka, Marie, Chuck, and anybody else who had a name.

Then after they slowly all went away leaving John alone, I would have Rodney and Zelenka approach him and tell him there was something he needed to see. They would lead John to a stasis pod inside of which we would find Elizabeth. The real Elizabeth. Yelling occurs. R and Z explain that they were afraid to tell him until they were sure that it really was her and that she could survive. John is happy and mad at the same time. And now, they tell him, they are ready to wake her up. They do it in secret. She gets debriefed, briefly. Hee. And the final scene is at night with her and John standing on the balcony. She says "You know, this is going to get us in all sorts of trouble, right?" And he laughs and bumps her shoulder. The End.
          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Welcome to the thread jack's petunia!

So you know I'm the serious girl in this thread.lol
            You prefer school......Interesting choice.lol
            Thanks for the pic. Yes Carson knows like Caldwell, Teyla, Ronon, Kolya,..........
            Did you say that with a straight face?

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post

Believe it or not, this is a tough one. Given that you can't change anything in canon, we have to start at the end of EatG. First of all, it would have to be a two-parter. Secondly, we'd see everybody who matters come out to the balcony, including Kanaan, Torren, Lorne, Zelenka, Marie, Chuck, and anybody else who had a name.

Then after they slowly all went away leaving John alone, I would have Rodney and Zelenka approach him and tell him there was something he needed to see. They would lead John to a stasis pod inside of which we would find Elizabeth. The real Elizabeth. Yelling occurs. R and Z explain that they were afraid to tell him until they were sure that it really was her and that she could survive. John is happy and mad at the same time. And now, they tell him, they are ready to wake her up. They do it in secret. She gets debriefed, briefly. Hee. And the final scene is at night with her and John standing on the balcony. She says "You know, this is going to get us in all sorts of trouble, right?" And he laughs and bumps her shoulder. The End.
            Perfectly perfect.

Okay, I have to go shovel the drive AGAIN and see if I can get to work today. Why does it snow in Iowa during the winter?

Oh, Photobucket question for those that use it:

Spoiler:
            Do you resize your pics after you upload them and if so, to what size? I'm tryng to share my storm pics, but they're so big and even when I resize them, it doesn't seem to take. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Any wisdom to share?
            sigpic
            sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

I promised to try and do this meme, so I'm going to give it a shot, though my answers will probably be concise (which will probably be a relief). I'm going to play catch up and play with Kitty since I don't remember the whole list and I can't find it.

Day the First: Your favorite character

This is easy--hands down Elizabeth. She was a rather rare female character for sci-fi, which is unusual given that sci-fi is often known for breaking down barriers. But Elizabeth also did not fit into an archetypal female for science fiction; she was a rarefied character in that she was the leader of the expedition and for some oddball reason, no one batted an eye, really, at that. The debate came more on the decisions she made and how her femininity affected them rather than whether she, as a female, should be a leader. Considering the heavy military presence and the big baddie being of the life-sucking monster variety, it's rather extraordinary that her leadership was accepted and never really challenged either on-show or off. Anytime it was, it was the big 'civilian' versus 'military' debate, not the 'woman' versus 'man' debate. And as a woman, she proved her salt more than once.

But by being a female, she had a great presence of civility and decorum that allowed the Expedition Head to blend in amongst the group. She was a strong leader, but approachable, and never felt aloof or untouchable. The saddest failure on the part of the PTB is the failure to understand that, like Atlantis, Elizabeth was a key character in the show, not a secondary one. Her presence in every episode should have made that clear--she was a necessity in terms of story--but for some reason she, like the city, was overlooked as the years wore on. Trapped in their old standard of off-world exploration as a focal point, TPTB wrote both Elizabeth and the City into the background rather than keep them spotlit in the foreground. They were both misused, but at the end of the day, the City was a necessity for a show called Atlantis, so it survived. Elizabeth wasn't, and as a regular character, did not. /F-A-I-L.

Day the Second: Your favorite episode

Also easy: THE EYE. Easily the episode that hooked me, easily the episode that solidified Sparky for me, and easily the episode that elevated my expectations for Atlantis. Though there are many things about The Eye I like (and only one I don't--the catfight, which I thought was stupid with tsunamis roaring about) there is one predominant moment that trumps all the others. And that was, quite simply, John's reaction to the words 'Weir is dead'.

After seeing The Storm, I had a hope, but not an expectation, that the writers would go so far as to have John believe Elizabeth was dead. When Kolya bluffed to John, I was excited and eager to see what he would do, and DARM did he deliver! Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to see Sheppard go so ballistic over believing he'd lost Elizabeth. 60+ men killed in revenge of her--and one brilliant moment of realization that she was actually alive and well. It was amazing and gave me great hopes for Atlantis. *sigh* Though it unfortunately did not pan out, The Eye itself is still my go to episode when I need a good pick-me-up.
              Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post
                Welcome to the thread jack's petunia!

Perfectly perfect.

Okay, I have to go shovel the drive AGAIN and see if I can get to work today. Why does it snow in Iowa during the winter?

Oh, Photobucket question for those that use it:

Spoiler:
                Do you resize your pics after you upload them and if so, to what size? I'm tryng to share my storm pics, but they're so big and even when I resize them, it doesn't seem to take. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Any wisdom to share?
                For big pics I take with my camera I resize them to about 4x6 before I upload to PB. Those from websites usually work fine as they are. You can edit in PB but I find it clunky and you're right, it doesn't always work. Try renaming a pic that you have deleted and resized. For some reason PB sometimes wants to hold onto the original. That's a non-techie answer.
                sigpic

Comment

That. Is. Beautiful. SR for the EPIC WIN!
                  sigpic
                  Signature by Erin87

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post

Yes of course.

I can't find an answer for this one. The only thing I can say is that I hate the actual end.
                    sigpic
                    Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                      I promised to try and do this meme, so I'm going to give it a shot, though my answers will probably be concise (which will probably be a relief). I'm going to play catch up and play with Kitty since I don't remember the whole list and I can't find it.

But by being a female, she had a great presence of civility and decorum that allowed the Expedition Head to blend in amongst the group. She was a strong leader, but approachable, and never felt aloof or untouchable. The saddest failure on the part of the PTB is the failure to understand that, like Atlantis, Elizabeth was a key character in the show, not a secondary one. Her presence in every episode should have made that clear--she was a necessity in terms of story--but for some reason she, like the city, was overlooked as the years wore on. Trapped in their old standard of off-world exploration as a focal point, TPTB wrote both Elizabeth and the City into the background rather than keep them spotlit in the foreground. They were both misused, but at the end of the day, the City was a necessity for a show called Atlantis, so it survived. Elizabeth wasn't, and as a regular character, did not. /F-A-I-L.
                      The writers were definitely trapped in the off world storylines, but as time went by it also seemed easier for them to write for just 2, maybe 3, characters in an episode. I will never ever understand why they didn't realize that some of the best episodes pulled almost everybody into the mix. They had a great ensemble and didn't take full advantage of it.

For big pics I take with my camera I resize them to about 4x6 before I upload to PB. Those from websites usually work fine as they are. You can edit in PB but I find it clunky and you're right, it doesn't always work. Try renaming a pic that you have deleted and resized. For some reason PB sometimes wants to hold onto the original. That's a non-techie answer.
                      Thank you. I'll keep playing around with my pics and hopefully find a method that works for me.

Yes of course.
                      sigpic
                      sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

This is easy--hands down Elizabeth. She was a rather rare female character for sci-fi, which is unusual given that sci-fi is often known for breaking down barriers. But Elizabeth also did not fit into an archetypal female for science fiction; she was a rarefied character in that she was the leader of the expedition and for some oddball reason, no one batted an eye, really, at that. The debate came more on the decisions she made and how her femininity affected them rather than whether she, as a female, should be a leader. Considering the heavy military presence and the big baddie being of the life-sucking monster variety, it's rather extraordinary that her leadership was accepted and never really challenged either on-show or off. Anytime it was, it was the big 'civilian' versus 'military' debate, not the 'woman' versus 'man' debate. And as a woman, she proved her salt more than once.

Day the Second: Your favorite episode

Also easy: THE EYE. Easily the episode that hooked me, easily the episode that solidified Sparky for me, and easily the episode that elevated my expectations for Atlantis. Though there are many things about The Eye I like (and only one I don't--the catfight, which I thought was stupid with tsunamis roaring about) there is one predominant moment that trumps all the others. And that was, quite simply, John's reaction to the words 'Weir is dead'.

After seeing The Storm, I had a hope, but not an expectation, that the writers would go so far as to have John believe Elizabeth was dead. When Kolya bluffed to John, I was excited and eager to see what he would do, and DARM did he deliver! Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to see Sheppard go so ballistic over believing he'd lost Elizabeth. 60+ men killed in revenge of her--and one brilliant moment of realization that she was actually alive and well. It was amazing and gave me great hopes for Atlantis. *sigh* Though it unfortunately did not pan out, The Eye itself is still my go to episode when I need a good pick-me-up.
                        Wonderfully said. I never understood the clamor from some fans for more team more team. Personally, I got tired of a constant parade of offworld -meet- aliens -and- deal -with -them plots. I wanted Atlantis to be Atlantis. You know, the city they went there to explore. And in that mix would have been more involvement for Weir. After all, she was an expert on languages, negotiation etc. Why make such a big deal of that and then never use it? She should have been the Daniel Jackson of Atlantis.

I feel the same way about The Eye. I just could not believe he was so emotional about her being dead. How could you be expected not to think that was shippy? This was calm, cool, cocky, flyboy Sheppard. When had we ever seen him so upset before? And at this point he had never called her by her first name even. That didn't come for another couple of eps in Hot Zone.

However, if you think it through and don't think about how TPTB declared Sparky to be non-existent, there is a bit of continuity. Some would even say foreshadowing. In the next ep The Defiant One we have Rodney encouraging John to talk Elizabeth into letting them explore the planet which shows us that he has influence over her. So what happened between The Eye and this ep? And then the Sparkyfest in Hot Zone came next. One would almost believe they were showing us the progression of the relationship. Almost.
                        sigpic

Comment

I am soooo behind. I will catch up tonight, but first a little thank you video to SR and Probie for COP. Elizabeth looks a little scary in this, but Shep turned out okay. These things are a riot!

Let me know if the link doesn't work. I'll try to do a prettier one tonight- anyone got a good pic of Liz smiling? (looking at camera?)
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Copter for my signature art!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

I'm sneaky that way hehe And any place that has cookies has to be good!
                            Cookies make the world go 'round. Just sayin'.

Heh! Actually, I had lurked on the thread for a few months before joining in, so I understand the feeling.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lc6i6dzs3Y1qeejdqo1_500.png

A present for everyone I've had a very good day and thought that everyone should have a nice way end their day. Carson so knows *credit to nothingbuttherain*
                            Eeeeeeeee! They're mirroring again!

That's brilliant! The parallels to "Rising" are perfect and oh so fitting. I love how it's Elizabeth who repeats the line about getting into trouble; I can see Torri delivering it with a mischievous little twinkle in her eye.

*cackles* Let's just hope I stay on schedule!

That line, I think, says it all about why Atlantis always seemed like the ugly redheaded stepchild of the franchise. They tried to turn it into SG-1 Lite, where they're going out to find adventure, when instead, they should have treated it like Babylon 5 or DS9, series with a setting where the adventure comes to the characters. And Elizabeth, with her background in diplomacy and linguistics, should have been at the forefront, instead of chained to a desk.

Oh well. We're gonna fix that and show 'em how it's really done with Atlantis Rising.

However, if you think it through and don't think about how TPTB declared Sparky to be non-existent, there is a bit of continuity. Some would even say foreshadowing. In the next ep The Defiant One we have Rodney encouraging John to talk Elizabeth into letting them explore the planet which shows us that he has influence over her. So what happened between The Eye and this ep? And then the Sparkyfest in Hot Zone came next. One would almost believe they were showing us the progression of the relationship. Almost.
                            They gave us Sparky in spite of themselves. I wonder what Freud would make of that?
                            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Zandra's Ashes View Post
                              I am soooo behind. I will catch up tonight, but first a little thank you video to SR and Probie for COP. Elizabeth looks a little scary in this, but Shep turned out okay. These things are a riot!

Let me know if the link doesn't work. I'll try to do a prettier one tonight- anyone got a good pic of Liz smiling? (looking at camera?)
                              OMG! *claps* That was brilliant. I love you. And you're welcome.
                              sigpic

Comment

Here's one more- the tango! Bonus points because 'Lizabeth is in a hot red dress! Only prob is she looks good, but now Shep looks funny. Oh well, got to stop these on my lunch break, maybe if I took a minute they could both look normal in the same vid. For tonight- I'm considering the strip tease vid! LOL! I need Liz pics *begs shamlessly*

sigpic
                                Thanks to Copter for my signature art!

Comment

Working...
                                X