No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, in part because I want some honest opinions on the demeanors here (and in part because I love treating you and in part because I like hearing 'cool! cool!') here is another segment of Return to Pegasus, Part I.

This is the first time we see Teyla, and the scene follows the conference room meeting with the IOA. What do you think of Teyla in it? Is it canon enough? I'm trying to keep it in character and yet give her an edge...

Spoiler:
    The doors to the Atlantis conference room swung open slowly, revealing a group of dour appearing IOA representatives, followed by John, Richard Woolsey and Rodney, who looked no happier than the Earth diplomats.

Teyla glanced up at Ronon, who met her gaze with seeming disinterestedness, though she knew Ronon well enough to know he bore feelings similar to hers.

Richard slowed to halt as he neared them, an already downcast appearance growing into a deeper frown. “Teyla. Ronon.”

Behind him, John bit his lip and Rodney’s expression immediately became sympathetic, signs from two men she knew quite well that they did not wish to tell her what decisions had been made in the last meeting. Though, even without their obvious hints as to the proceedings of the talks, she would have been able to tell the IOA had not changed their position on Atlantis.

She found it difficult to form words; thankfully Ronon took the initiative. “Nothing?”

“I’m afraid not.” Woolsey’s gaze was upon her face, not Ronon’s, with good reason. Ronon had already dedicated himself to remaining on Atlantis, and, though he would have much preferred being engaged in direct battle with the Wraith, his loyalty to the Expedition had not shifted.

She, too, had been forewarned of the possibilities she might face when travelling to the Milky Way. Yet, she had not anticipated that the difficulty would come from bureaucracy rather than power fluctuations or damage to the City. To know that it was impossible to return to her people would have been one hardship to bear. But to know nothing barred her way beyond rules and discussion was of a different matter.

“There’s supposed to be a representative from Homeworld Security visiting Atlantis sometime later in the week,” John said cautiously. “Apparently he…”

“She,” interrupted Rodney. “It’s a...a she. Her.”

“She,” John returned, throwing Rodney a glance, “will be the one making the determination as to whether Atlantis will be returning anytime soon to Pegasus.”

“Or any of its residents,” Woolsey was quick to add. “But that may be another matter entirely. No one has really brought up what the position of Pegasus native inhabitants will be.”

“It would seem obvious in one regard what they would like it to be,” Teyla said, gesturing to the Expedition uniforms she and Ronon both wore. The requirements of wearing Expedition gear had been a measure passed a few weeks back by the IOA contingent, targeted at she, Kanaan and Ronon.

“That was more for your protection than anything,” said John. “If we’re discovered…”

“There will be a great deal more to explain to those who discover the existence of Atlantis than our clothing, John,” Teyla finished edgily.

“Teyla,” Woolsey began softly, “it is not as though they are keeping you here arbitrarily.”

“I understand the need for the people of Earth to protect their planet and their people, Mr. Woolsey. That is not what I question. What I do not understand is their need to control the choices of those who should not concern them. Neither Kanaan nor myself will endanger the position of Atlantis on Earth. Allowing us to return to our homeworld—or at least contact them—will pose no threat…”

“I’m afraid that’s not true,” said Richard. “There is no telling what the Wraith would do to try and learn the location of Atlantis and of Earth right now. I know these precautions are frustrating, but in the end they are for both your benefit and ours.”

“There is no benefit to my people by my remaining here. That is all that concerns me.”

“What about Torren? And Kanaan? If the Wraith discover you’ve returned to Pegasus, what might they do to them to learn about the location of Earth? These are things the IOA is taking into consideration.”

Teyla drew in a breath, narrowing her eyes at him. “I would hope the people of this base would know me well enough by now to know the costs I would bear to ensure their safety. If they do not, then they do not understand me as well as I hoped.”

John’s nostrils flared a little, his eyes flickering towards Richard, whose frown deepened. Teyla felt her frustration growing at his inability to speak. For as long as she had known them all, they had been kind, caring people, but with one small failing—they had never chosen her people, or the Pegasus galaxy, over their own, even in matters where their people made unwise decisions.

“When we first encountered your Expedition people here took a chance of us,” Ronon said. “That’s all Teyla’s asking for now.”

“That was back in the days when we called the shots, buddy,” John replied in a soft tone. “And if it was just us…”

“But it is not,” Teyla interrupted edgily. “And it appears from the ongoing nature of these discussions, it perhaps shall never be again.”

John’s gaze dropped from her face to the floor, while Rodney’s expression drooped further.

Woolsey took a step closer, looking at her so intently she turned her face away. “All matters like these take time, Teyla. We haven’t forgotten you, or what this is costing you as leader of your people. Believe me. We are doing what we can to get you back to them. I promise.”

“It has been nine months since I have seen them. If it takes any more time, I fear it will matter little how much is done. If there is anything left to return to.”

She turned from them, unable to look upon John, Rodney or Richard at that moment. What she needed was the comfort of her family and what remained of her home.
    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
      Well, there was the notion that they really thought Carson had died--I mean, you know, blowing up in front of them and all that.
      Carson's was the correct way to do it. Something happened, they acknowledged it, then they moved on.

For Elizabeth, the only person who was willing to 'give up on her' sadly enough, was Ronon, which is why he got a goodbye in Adrift. I don't think anyone, even John, who'd been arguing with Rodney about reviving her nanites, wanted to give up until she actually was gone. Then, after Lifeline, John still truly believed she was alive until TMC.
      I think John's belief that she was still alive was more a faint hope though. As in, hoping she was alive, but assuming she was dead and not knowing either way. John would've expected Oberoth to kill her. It wasn't like when they had Bob - they had no real way of extracting information from him, so they needed to keep him alive. Oberoth could get anything he wanted out of Elizabeth instantaneously.

We did get shafted after that but in TV land, suckily enough, once a storyline has passed beyond a certain point putting in a scene is wasting precious production time. Elizabeth had been kinda detached from us for a while, so while she should have had a memorial at the end of TMC, I think it was a combo of the fact she'd been gone for half a season and because they wanted the cliffhanger leading into BAMSR, so all we got was John saying he was shipping her stuff back to Earth.

However, I like to imagine in my own crazy head that TPTW knew how much the other cast members would go to town with a 'goodbye Elizabeth scene' and didn't want to chance the impact it would have. I mean, Joe might actually have had John cry. *lah dee dah dee DAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH* *twirls*
      I suppose in retrospect the memorial was the scene in Lifeline with Carter & Sheppard. If there was to be a memorial, then that's where it should've been. It's not the first time they've screwed with a character's death. Back on SG-1, when they did Heroes, IMO the is Jack dead and subsequent Sam/Jack angst totally frakked with what, IMO, was one of the best episodes they've ever done. Then again, Jacob's death was all about Sam/Jack too.
      sigpic

Comment

Okay, in part because I want some honest opinions on the demeanors here (and in part because I love treating you and in part because I like hearing 'cool! cool!') here is another segment of Return to Pegasus, Part I.

This is the first time we see Teyla, and the scene follows the conference room meeting with the IOA. What do you think of Teyla in it? Is it canon enough? I'm trying to keep it in character and yet give her an edge...

Spoiler:
        The doors to the Atlantis conference room swung open slowly, revealing a group of dour appearing IOA representatives, followed by John, Richard Woolsey and Rodney, who looked no happier than the Earth diplomats.

Teyla glanced up at Ronon, who met her gaze with seeming disinterestedness, though she knew Ronon well enough to know he bore feelings similar to hers.

Richard slowed to halt as he neared them, an already downcast appearance growing into a deeper frown. “Teyla. Ronon.”

Behind him, John bit his lip and Rodney’s expression immediately became sympathetic, signs from two men she knew quite well that they did not wish to tell her what decisions had been made in the last meeting. Though, even without their obvious hints as to the proceedings of the talks, she would have been able to tell the IOA had not changed their position on Atlantis.

She found it difficult to form words; thankfully Ronon took the initiative. “Nothing?”

“I’m afraid not.” Woolsey’s gaze was upon her face, not Ronon’s, with good reason. Ronon had already dedicated himself to remaining on Atlantis, and, though he would have much preferred being engaged in direct battle with the Wraith, his loyalty to the Expedition had not shifted.

She, too, had been forewarned of the possibilities she might face when travelling to the Milky Way. Yet, she had not anticipated that the difficulty would come from bureaucracy rather than power fluctuations or damage to the City. To know that it was impossible to return to her people would have been one hardship to bear. But to know nothing barred her way beyond rules and discussion was of a different matter.

“There’s supposed to be a representative from Homeworld Security visiting Atlantis sometime later in the week,” John said cautiously. “Apparently he…”

“She,” interrupted Rodney. “It’s a...a she. Her.”

“She,” John returned, throwing Rodney a glance, “will be the one making the determination as to whether Atlantis will be returning anytime soon to Pegasus.”

“Or any of its residents,” Woolsey was quick to add. “But that may be another matter entirely. No one has really brought up what the position of Pegasus native inhabitants will be.”

“It would seem obvious in one regard what they would like it to be,” Teyla said, gesturing to the Expedition uniforms she and Ronon both wore. The requirements of wearing Expedition gear had been a measure passed a few weeks back by the IOA contingent, targeted at she, Kanaan and Ronon.

“That was more for your protection than anything,” said John. “If we’re discovered…”

“There will be a great deal more to explain to those who discover the existence of Atlantis than our clothing, John,” Teyla finished edgily.

“Teyla,” Woolsey began softly, “it is not as though they are keeping you here arbitrarily.”

“I understand the need for the people of Earth to protect their planet and their people, Mr. Woolsey. That is not what I question. What I do not understand is their need to control the choices of those who should not concern them. Neither Kanaan nor myself will endanger the position of Atlantis on Earth. Allowing us to return to our homeworld—or at least contact them—will pose no threat…”

“I’m afraid that’s not true,” said Richard. “There is no telling what the Wraith would do to try and learn the location of Atlantis and of Earth right now. I know these precautions are frustrating, but in the end they are for both your benefit and ours.”

“There is no benefit to my people by my remaining here. That is all that concerns me.”

“What about Torren? And Kanaan? If the Wraith discover you’ve returned to Pegasus, what might they do to them to learn about the location of Earth? These are things the IOA is taking into consideration.”

Teyla drew in a breath, narrowing her eyes at him. “I would hope the people of this base would know me well enough by now to know the costs I would bear to ensure their safety. If they do not, then they do not understand me as well as I hoped.”

John’s nostrils flared a little, his eyes flickering towards Richard, whose frown deepened. Teyla felt her frustration growing at his inability to speak. For as long as she had known them all, they had been kind, caring people, but with one small failing—they had never chosen her people, or the Pegasus galaxy, over their own, even in matters where their people made unwise decisions.

“When we first encountered your Expedition people here took a chance of us,” Ronon said. “That’s all Teyla’s asking for now.”

“That was back in the days when we called the shots, buddy,” John replied in a soft tone. “And if it was just us…”

“But it is not,” Teyla interrupted edgily. “And it appears from the ongoing nature of these discussions, it perhaps shall never be again.”

John’s gaze dropped from her face to the floor, while Rodney’s expression drooped further.

Woolsey took a step closer, looking at her so intently she turned her face away. “All matters like these take time, Teyla. We haven’t forgotten you, or what this is costing you as leader of your people. Believe me. We are doing what we can to get you back to them. I promise.”

“It has been nine months since I have seen them. If it takes any more time, I fear it will matter little how much is done. If there is anything left to return to.”

She turned from them, unable to look upon John, Rodney or Richard at that moment. What she needed was the comfort of her family and what remained of her home.
        Seems canon enough to me. And cool!cool!cool!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
          Carson's was the correct way to do it. Something happened, they acknowledged it, then they moved on.

I think John's belief that she was still alive was more a faint hope though. As in, hoping she was alive, but assuming she was dead and not knowing either way. John would've expected Oberoth to kill her. It wasn't like when they had Bob - they had no real way of extracting information from him, so they needed to keep him alive. Oberoth could get anything he wanted out of Elizabeth instantaneously.

I suppose in retrospect the memorial was the scene in Lifeline with Carter & Sheppard. If there was to be a memorial, then that's where it should've been. It's not the first time they've screwed with a character's death. Back on SG-1, when they did Heroes, IMO the is Jack dead and subsequent Sam/Jack angst totally frakked with what, IMO, was one of the best episodes they've ever done. Then again, Jacob's death was all about Sam/Jack too.
          I think John had the irrational hope that he always has--considering he'd been petitioning to take a jumper to Oberoth's planet (at JF's suggestion) and also his reaction in TMC, about getting there ASAP to find out how a clone had been made of Elizabeth. I think it was that sort of 'if I consider this rationally, I know Oberoth probably killed her as soon as we turned the corner but I'm not going to consider this rationally' sort of thing.

There was also a sort-of memorial for Teyla as she's packing up things in the office in Lifeline, with Ronon. They had their own individual memorials. *LOL*

I do wonder about Rodney. John, of course, had tons of angst thanks to JF's expressions, but Rodney never had a 'mourning' moment, but it seems like, from what he said in TMC at the end to Radek (about 'this being Carson all over again' after clone Elizabeth tells him real!Elizabeth is dead) that he really thought Elizabeth had been just a prisoner. It took him that long to accept she was really dead? Seems irrational for Rodney...

Comment

<snip for space>
            ZOMG, this is PERFECT! This will feed into the plans we discussed for Teyla in Part 2 and beyond very well. *rubs hands together gleefully* Muahahahah!

I think John had the irrational hope that he always has--considering he'd been petitioning to take a jumper to Oberoth's planet (at JF's suggestion) and also his reaction in TMC, about getting there ASAP to find out how a clone had been made of Elizabeth. I think it was that sort of 'if I consider this rationally, I know Oberoth probably killed her as soon as we turned the corner but I'm not going to consider this rationally' sort of thing.
            Heh. There is nothing rational about John's reactions. He's in love (even if he's totally in denial about it!)!

Just wait'll we smack him upside the head in Atlantis Rising.

There was also a sort-of memorial for Teyla as she's packing up things in the office in Lifeline, with Ronon. They had their own individual memorials. *LOL*
            *snerks*

I do wonder about Rodney. John, of course, had tons of angst thanks to JF's expressions, but Rodney never had a 'mourning' moment, but it seems like, from what he said in TMC at the end to Radek (about 'this being Carson all over again' after clone Elizabeth tells him real!Elizabeth is dead) that he really thought Elizabeth had been just a prisoner. It took him that long to accept she was really dead? Seems irrational for Rodney...
            Rodney's reactions have always struck me as odd... there's a tone of regret in the couple of times that he speaks of what happened to Elizabeth, yet in both TMC and GitM when he comes face to face with different versions of Elizabeth, he never really apologizes to her for turning the nanites back on and putting her through the hell she's gone through. Is it because they're not the real Elizabeth and he can't bring himself to apologize unless it's the real her? Or is it just denial in general about his own role in what happened to her?
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

[snippy]
              Cool cool cool! I like edgy Teyla and it reminds me of Suspicion, so very canon. To play Devil's advocate, I can see someone arguing that Teyla knew she might not be able to get home when she agreed to come to Earth so she has no logical argument now. Maybe a scene with her and John or Woolsey could bring that up.

I always wondered about Rodney. Considering how close they were, it was not logical to leave out a scene with him addressing her loss on a personal level. Writer fail once again. But then Rodney always did suffer from denial syndrome.

And do you realize how much we have to thank JF for his stubbornness and sense of justice? We know he wasn't thinking "ship". LOL
              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                Cool cool cool! I like edgy Teyla and it reminds me of Suspicion, so very canon. To play Devil's advocate, I can see someone arguing that Teyla knew she might not be able to get home when she agreed to come to Earth so she has no logical argument now. Maybe a scene with her and John or Woolsey could bring that up.

I always wondered about Rodney. Considering how close they were, it was not logical to leave out a scene with him addressing her loss on a personal level. Writer fail once again. But then Rodney always did suffer from denial syndrome.

And do you realize how much we have to thank JF for his stubbornness and sense of justice? We know he wasn't thinking "ship". LOL
                There will probably be inklings of such a conversation, though she does acknowledge in that snippet that she knew it was a possibility she wouldn't be able to return--her frustration here is built out of it being over bureaucracy rather than the engines blowing out. It's knowing she could step through the gate anytime she wanted but the IOA simply won't let her that is making her angry.

I'm planning on having her address later on--and she's definitely going to have a conversation with Nancy, because I think that would be fun.

Comment

There will probably be inklings of such a conversation, though she does acknowledge in that snippet that she knew it was a possibility she wouldn't be able to return--her frustration here is built out of it being over bureaucracy rather than the engines blowing out. It's knowing she could step through the gate anytime she wanted but the IOA simply won't let her that is making her angry.

I'm planning on having her address later on--and she's definitely going to have a conversation with Nancy, because I think that would be fun.
                  Oooh, Nancy. Now that will be interesting indeed. And insightful and may prove that women in two galaxies don't understand how John thinks. LOL
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                    Oooh, Nancy. Now that will be interesting indeed. And insightful and may prove that women in two galaxies don't understand how John thinks. LOL
                    Very interesting. Especially when we bring Elizabeth back and the inevitable comparisons in how she does understand John start coming up.
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Rodney was an interesting one. He's probably the most inconsistent when it comes to Elizabeth. I actually counted him as the guy who had the most "mourning Elizabeth moments" other than John. And I still think that is true, but at the same time he did have more than a few moments where he seemed almost inappropriately nonchalant about the whole thing. It's probable that since it wasn't really written in the script for the most part, Flanigan had more opportunity to play the the part of mourning for her more with his character than Hewlett did.

Elizabeth and Rodney's relationship is actually one that I think is often overlooked in importance. They always felt really close in my mind and I think the fact that he was friends with Elizabeth was one of the things that was important in transforming McKay from being the pseudo-villain he was when we first saw him in SG-1, to a member of the Atlantis family/team. In fact I think perhaps his first memorable moment of selfless heroism was stepping in the way to save her from Koyla in The Storm.

Actually I think one of the best scene's Rodney has about Elizabeth after she is taken, is in Kindred II when talking with the clone of Carson and he asks for her.
                      "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                        Very interesting. Especially when we bring Elizabeth back and the inevitable comparisons in how she does understand John start coming up.
                        Yes, though in keeping with canon, that conversation won't be John focused (at least not as I'm imagining it now). Nancy will be drawn to talk to Teyla about how being forced to stay in Atlantis is affecting her. Teyla will be the representative for the entire Pegasus galaxy and how important Atlantis is to them--so she's going to have to speak well.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                          Rodney was an interesting one. He's probably the most inconsistent when it comes to Elizabeth. I actually counted him as the guy who had the most "mourning Elizabeth moments" other than John. And I still think that is true, but at the same time he did have more than a few moments where he seemed almost inappropriately nonchalant about the whole thing. It's probable that since it wasn't really written in the script for the most part, Flanigan had more opportunity to play the the part of mourning for her more with his character than Hewlett did.

Elizabeth and Rodney's relationship is actually one that I think is often overlooked in importance. They always felt really close in my mind and I think the fact that he was friends with Elizabeth was one of the things that was important in transforming McKay from being the pseudo-villain he was when we first saw him in SG-1, to a member of the Atlantis family/team. In fact I think perhaps his first memorable moment of selfless heroism was stepping in the way to save her from Koyla in The Storm.
                          It's interesting to note how similar John and Rodney are... both misfits, both transformed by their friendships with Elizabeth (and with each other); it's why I call the three of them the Three Musketeers of Atlantis.

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                          Actually I think one of the best scene's Rodney has about Elizabeth after she is taken, is in Kindred II when talking with the clone of Carson and he asks for her.
                          That scene broke my heart. That was the first time I finally saw real grief in Rodney, as opposed to the "inappropriate nonchalance" (great way to describe it, BTW!) that you noted earlier.

Yes, though in keeping with canon, that conversation won't be John focused (at least not as I'm imagining it now). Nancy will be drawn to talk to Teyla about how being forced to stay in Atlantis is affecting her. Teyla will be the representative for the entire Pegasus galaxy and how important Atlantis is to them--so she's going to have to speak well.
                          And speak well, she will.

Comment

This is canon!teyla to me!
                            And ... did I say "cool"?
                            Nope?

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

Comment

This is in reference to the previously mentioned, apparently only obvious to some, relationship between Sheppard & Weir. You know the one - they hate each other, want each other dead, and so on. I dug up a few examples.

Spoiler:

We do not mirror each other

I'm sending you on another dangerous mission. With any luck, you'll be killed by the Wraith

You are such a dead weight. I wish you'd take a nose dive off this walkway

Aw, crap, he got me a birthday present. Who does this tool think he is?

Will you ever stop talking? I have a game of solitaire that I'm itching to finish

You are such a hardass. Even whilst you were unconscious, you managed to order me to carry you to the infirmary. If only we had a magical communications device so that we could call, nay, summon medical professionals to the control room

I hate you so much. I want to kill you right here on this desk
                              I think I just might let you

Ewwww!!! Stop touching me!!!

NB I'm not sure why some images appear, and why some don't, or why they are different sizes. I attached them the same way I usually do *scratches head* They usually just appear as thumbnails, only needing clicked on if not logged in
                              sigpic

Comment

This is in reference to the previously mentioned, apparently only obvious to some, relationship between Sheppard & Weir. You know the one - they hate each other, want each other dead, and so on. I dug up a few examples.
                                *cackles*

[ATTACH]28219[/ATTACH]
                                Aw, crap, he got me a birthday present. Who does this tool think he is?
                                And notice how he never gets anyone else on the show a birthday present.

[ATTACH]28217[/ATTACH]
                                You are such a hardass. Even whilst you were unconscious, you managed to order me to carry you to the infirmary. If only we had a magical communications device so that we could call, nay, summon medical professionals to the control room
                                Oh yeah, John sure didn't like having to put his hand so close to her breast. Suuuuure.

[ATTACH]28215[/ATTACH]
                                I hate you so much. I want to kill you right here on this desk
                                I think I just might let you
                                In full view of that birthday present that he got her and that she hated so much that she put it on her desk where everyone could see it. Hah!

[ATTACH]28221[/ATTACH]
                                Ewwww!!! Stop touching me!!!
                                Yeah, he didn't like being touched so much that he started touching her back.

NB I'm not sure why some images appear, and why some don't, or why they are different sizes. I attached them the same way I usually do *scratches head* They usually just appear as thumbnails, only needing clicked on if not logged in
                                Haven't got a clue... *shrugs*

Comment

Working...
                                X