Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
    Oh yeah, that con....fairly quiet affair, no?
    Yes... not much happened at that con *looks around innocently*

Sig by me

Comment

I still live in the SGA world. Atlantis (the company) called me and now Keller company is officially my new customer.
      How I can be focus on my work with this?lol
      sigpic
      Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
        Yes... not much happened at that con *looks around innocently*
        Such a pity you didn't take any pictures, or remember what happened. Now we'll never know I'm yet to go through them all, but I look forward to reading about it

OT

Spoiler:
        I was reading the results of a duathlon today, because I knew some of the competitors. First place was Steve Caldwell. No word on whether he was running in a green jumpsuit
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
          I think Joe Mallozzi must be reading your thread (just kidding - heaven forbid :O) becase he answered questions about a couple of things SGA related:

Some of his replies to the other questionsare so snarky and so obviously not meant as fact that it's hard to know which answers to take seriously???
          I'd say there is usually a bit of fact hidden in the snark in his answers. We'll have to pick and choose what we can use in our S6. Thanks.

And on putting the kinos in our series, I'd vote a big fat NO. I don't watch SGU but have heard enough to know they seem like just another lame plot device that would be a bit too cutsey for us.

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
          Seen on Twitter:

http://www.weirsicecream.com/index.php
          (look at the history and who runs it now!)
          Wonderful! How do you find these things? LOL

Why not promote Lorne at the start of the season? That would get John thinking about the subject, at least subconsciously, throughout the season. We have no solid info on Lorne, or when he was promoted, so it wouldn't really be in violation of anything. Again, it if works, do what you want, but I vote for leaving it as long as is practicable for Shep. But you're right, it would alter the end of season debate about who gets to be the leader (Shep v Weir).
          I don't think we want to have 2 Lt. Col's at the same time. It would be hard to explain why Lorne didn't get his own command. Unless a clever writer came up with a way to give Lorne a part of the command without degrading John.

Although I assume they would've had that convo, at least in private, when both Carter and Shep were Colonels. Or when any of the other Colonels turned up. But we never got to see it, so it didn't happen *shrugs*
          True but maybe Ronon just never thought about it before.

Ah. A pity they never mentioned that on screen either - a convo about whether there were more Weirs out there.
          Now that should have happened at the end of GitM at the very least. It would have been nice foreshadowing if indeed they were planning to continue with her story in their S6.

Another medal is a good option, maybe even do it at the start of the season in recognition of EatG (and promote Lorne) and mention that it is too early to do it for Shep then. But stay away from the MoH - the was a bit of a controversy with Mitchell, given that Hammond's order of "defend that scout ship at all costs" was the impetus for his action. [As an aside, Hammond was ready to kill everyone on the Prometheus to complete his mission, surely that should've gotten some recognition]. But as you say, perhaps they awarded it to him because they thought he was going to die
          I like this option. In fact Lorne deserves a medal also. For John, the Air Force Cross would be a great idea.

Spoiler:
          I never noticed their insignia on their uniforms, good catch. I guess they had to promote him, else she would've been the SG1 acting leader. Plus he'd been doing goodness knows what else in the meantime. I wonder what he does now - 2IC SGC? Commander of the Oddessy?
          On the uniform insignia, does anyone have the link to the explanation of John's medals? We are going to need that. And if I recall correctly, I think a few of them are in the wrong place. Plus I heard that he didn't have a ribbon for Antarctica.
          Spoiler:
          Which a certain author is using to justify having him only have been in Antarctica for a few months when he clearly says he's been there 11 months.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for JM to read this thread. I would take his stuff on Shep/Lorne to be true. I doubt they'd see the need to promote Shep - maybe it'd come at the end of Extinction?
          I think giving Shep his just rewards is not on their agenda. But we will give him the recognition he deserves in our virtual series.
          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
            Heee, and yours was literally the only fic like that, that I've read. (you also wrote it after I bugged you to write a kiss - fic, if I recall correctly.) I love that story.

Actually, I was thinking about what you suggested in your comment, only I'm not sure how clear I was regarding my own thoughts and ideas (because I'm still trying them out in my head and sort - of imagining the scenes as I go) -- I thought about Atlantis getting notified that John is up for a promotion. Someone Important (General Landry? Jack? Who should do this) should come over, or John is scheduled to go to earth and be promoted. At the beginning of 'Gravity' there is a toast scene, something like the one we saw in "Aurora", only much much happier. But, I hope you understand what I mean; something intimate, involving only John's close friends (Elizabeth, Rodney, Carson, Ronon, Teyla and Kanaan - because he should definitely be a part of her life in this sort of way; and Woolsey? Anyway. they're having a toast and congratulating John, and he is a little thoughtful because desk job is mentioned, because this is something he never thought would happen - it's a great moment to explore his character in more depth and hint on his issues and fears. This scene could also be a flashback.

Then, we fast forward to present when he is imprisoned, interrogated, and being left utterly alone, in complete quiet and dark, when he has to face himself. In the meantime, his friends are looking for him, and they will eventually find him. I want him to make a full circle and perhaps redefine his goals, his own sense of self worth, the way he sees his duties and his professional growth. I definitely want to tackle his backstory - regarding which I'm really loving the suggestion by VampyreWraith from some time ago - that he was somewhere where he wasn't supposed to be, his mom was coming to pick him up and got killed in a carcrash.

What do you think, guys?
            Ooo, I really like this. I love stuff where it starts out innocuous and then you realize it's really a nasty situation. And flashbacks are a cool way to tell out that story.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
            Cribbing our notes? Perish the thought!

No promotion for Sheppard or Lorne stinks.

The kinos were planned for Atlantis? Now that's interesting. Anyone up for having someone (I vote for a secondary character instead of one of the mains) find that storage closet of Atlantean kinos sometime in Season 6? Hmm, maybe after they hear about the kinos on the Destiny, Zelenka and Lorne go on a little hunt...

He's always played at yanking the fans' chains, so really, who knows? Although when he starts repeating himself with his answers (as he did with his hints about how the Weir storyline might have continued past GitM, which in turn inspired some of the ideas for her storyline in Atlantis Rising), it may be something worth looking at.
            Whazza kinos?
            Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
              Whazza kinos?
              kino:
              Spoiler:

The SGU crew found them on the ship and they are a sort of flying camera with a remote control that Eli uses to film their experiences and that they use as MALP. It's especially using them as MALP that makes them a handy plot device.
              Personally I have a fondness for the Kinos, but that could just be because Eli really likes them

Sig by me

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

The promotion later on could also be hand waved with the addition of a few more SG teams, or add them at the start of the season and say the promotion is in recognition of that, plus his record. Regardless, if you plan on seperating Atlantis from Earth, extra manpower couldn't hurt.
                Definitely a good idea.

Re SGU/SGA crossover

Spoiler:
                From what I've gathered from comments, it's likely to be a combination of doctors - McKay for sure, plus either Dr Zelenka, Dr Keller, Dr Beckett, or an outside chance of Dr Carter. Woolsey is more likely than Carter though, given TPTB's love of the actor and his need to be there for ?Wray? is it (the IOA rep)
                And some new info about the crossover has come out on JM's blog, as well as a couple of random facts we might find useful for AR:

Gabriele writes: “3. Destiny is older than Atlantis. In “The Lost City” we come to know that Atlantis is about 30 million years old. The gate aboard Destiny is older than the ones in the Milky Way. In “Frozen” we come to know that the gates in the Mily Way are about 50 million years old. Is the Destiny about 60 million years old?”

Answer: Damn that’s old. If Destiny is older than the Milky Way gates then yes.

uergen writes: “2. Can we hope, to see anything of Atlantis itself in this episode?”

Answer: Possibly.

“3. If yes, can we expect to see the Gateroom of Atlantis? I mean, the set is big. Would you build it up only for one episode?”

Answer: We wouldn’t build the set for one episode and instead use pieces presently in storage and green screen. That is, of course, if we plan on seeing the Atlantis interior.
                Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                I'd say there is usually a bit of fact hidden in the snark in his answers. We'll have to pick and choose what we can use in our S6. Thanks.
                Keeps us guessing, at any rate.

And on putting the kinos in our series, I'd vote a big fat NO. I don't watch SGU but have heard enough to know they seem like just another lame plot device that would be a bit too cutsey for us.
                I can imagine planning for kinos on Atlantis might have been due to the existence of the space gates. That way the expedition wouldn't have had to keep wasting their MALPs; they just send a kino through, then have a jumper retrieve it. And we did discuss introducing a flying MALP for AR... of course, given that apparent timeline for Destiny's creation, Atlantis's kinos could be a lot different from the ones on Destiny. Just a thought.

I don't think we want to have 2 Lt. Col's at the same time. It would be hard to explain why Lorne didn't get his own command. Unless a clever writer came up with a way to give Lorne a part of the command without degrading John.
                That's my concern with having them both at the same rank for most of the season.

Now that should have happened at the end of GitM at the very least. It would have been nice foreshadowing if indeed they were planning to continue with her story in their S6.
                Unless McKay's line of, 'I guess that answers the question as to whether it was really Elizabeth.' was supposed to be intended as a doubtful note... after all, Mallozzi and Mullie apparently did disagree on whether or not the real Weir was still alive (Mallozzi wanted her alive, Mullie wanted her dead... something else I'm going to have to send Mallozzi some chocolate in gratitude for).

On the uniform insignia, does anyone have the link to the explanation of John's medals? We are going to need that. And if I recall correctly, I think a few of them are in the wrong place. Plus I heard that he didn't have a ribbon for Antarctica.
                Spoiler:
                Which a certain author is using to justify having him only have been in Antarctica for a few months when he clearly says he's been there 11 months.
                Was there ever a breakdown of his medals on GW? I think there may have been one on The Major forums...

And
                Spoiler:
                that author's justification for Sheppard not having the Antarctica Service Medal is totally bogus; according to the criteria for being awarded the medal, one must spend between 15 to 30 days stationed on the Antarctic continent (defined as south of 60 degrees latitude). The 15 day mark is used for flight crews flying missions into and out of the continent; each flight mission within a 24-hour period counts as one day. McMurdo is technically not on the continent itself but on an island in the Ross Sea, but it's at 77 degrees latitude. Slam dunk. Even if Sheppard wasn't there 11 months, he was still there more than 30 days and should have the medal.
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I need some funny fics because I'm angry.
                  Spoiler:
                  I swear that if I lived in a country where guns are allowed and I had one on my car, I would kill old man driver today. I was going to go home and turn. I put my turn signal but the old man was stuck to my ass with his car. I put small tap on the brakes and told him to calm down and this jerk almost carshed on me and I almost touch my portal. He had to go off the road and almost kill someone. This stupid man didn't stop but there is a red light just next my house. I realized how crazy I am because I stopped my car and go to see him. I made some signs to show that he had to stop his car. He did and I yelled.lol I know it's stupid but he almost killed this girl and my car.

I need to do yoga.lol
                  sigpic

Comment

Definitely a good idea.

And some new info about the crossover has come out on JM's blog, as well as a couple of random facts we might find useful for AR:

I can imagine planning for kinos on Atlantis might have been due to the existence of the space gates. That way the expedition wouldn't have had to keep wasting their MALPs; they just send a kino through, then have a jumper retrieve it. And we did discuss introducing a flying MALP for AR... of course, given that apparent timeline for Destiny's creation, Atlantis's kinos could be a lot different from the ones on Destiny. Just a thought.

That's my concern with having them both at the same rank for most of the season.

Unless McKay's line of, 'I guess that answers the question as to whether it was really Elizabeth.' was supposed to be intended as a doubtful note... after all, Mallozzi and Mullie apparently did disagree on whether or not the real Weir was still alive (Mallozzi wanted her alive, Mullie wanted her dead... something else I'm going to have to send Mallozzi some chocolate in gratitude for).

Was there ever a breakdown of his medals on GW? I think there may have been one on The Major forums...

And
                    Spoiler:
                    that author's justification for Sheppard not having the Antarctica Service Medal is totally bogus; according to the criteria for being awarded the medal, one must spend between 15 to 30 days stationed on the Antarctic continent (defined as south of 60 degrees latitude). The 15 day mark is used for flight crews flying missions into and out of the continent; each flight mission within a 24-hour period counts as one day. McMurdo is technically not on the continent itself but on an island in the Ross Sea, but it's at 77 degrees latitude. Slam dunk. Even if Sheppard wasn't there 11 months, he was still there more than 30 days and should have the medal.
                    As long as the kino was a MALP and nobody used it to spy on people in the shower, I guess I'd be okay with it. But I don't want us to look like we're stealing ideas from SGU.

I know somebody did a breakdown of the medals but I didn't bookmark it.
                    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I'm not fond of the kino idea for Atlantis ... I found it ridiculous even for Universe.
                      Maybe Rodney can find a new and different toy ... or even create it

Comment

Originally posted by nephtys59 View Post
                        I'm not fond of the kino idea for Atlantis ... I found it ridiculous even for Universe.
                        I'm with you. Not a fan of this thing.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nephtys59 View Post
                          But it does make sense that the Atlantians used some sort of MALP before going to an unexplored world. The kino is a good device for that. Even though it is an easy plot device

Sig by me

Comment

But it does make sense that the Atlantians used some sort of MALP before going to an unexplored world. The kino is a good device for that. Even though it is an easy plot device
                            I completely agree!
                            I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

As long as the kino was a MALP and nobody used it to spy on people in the shower, I guess I'd be okay with it. But I don't want us to look like we're stealing ideas from SGU.
                              Just think of it this way; the idea was originally supposed to be used in Atlantis, so technically, SGU stole it.

I know somebody did a breakdown of the medals but I didn't bookmark it.
                              Found it! I was right, it was at The Major forums; since that time, something went screwy with the old forums, so the link actually goes to an archived version, and some of the pictures may not be working. They actually discuss both Sheppard's and Mitchell's ribbons in this thread. Ignore the first version of John's ribbons in the first post, there's a corrected version on Page 3 (though note that everything is listed in the incorrect order, just as it was on John's uniform).

I looked at the scene from Sunday on my HDTV with my nose nearly up against the screen, and I believe this is the most correct version of Sheppard's ribbons, in the correct order of precedence:

First Row
                              - Distinguished Flying Cross x2 (1 bronze oak leaf)
                              - Meritorious Service Medal x3 (2 bronze oak leaves)

Second Row
                              - Air Medal x5 (silver oak leaf)
                              - Aerial Achievement Medal x5 (silver oak leaf)
                              - Air Force Commendation Medal x4 (3 bronze oak leaves)

Third Row
                              - Air Force Achievement Medal x2 (1 bronze oak leaf)
                              - Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
                              - Combat Readiness Medal

Fourth Row
                              - National Defense Service Medal x2 (1 bronze star)
                              - Afghanistan Campaign Medal
                              - Global War on Terror Service Medal

Fifth Row
                              - Air Force Overseas Short Tour
                              - Longevity Service Award x4 (3 bronze oak leaves)
                              - Air Force Training Ribbon

Note that the Antarctica Service Medal should come between the National Defense Service and Afghanistan Campaign Medals, meaning the National Defense Service Medal would be moved up to the third row, and everything else from the third row up would be moved up a slot with the first row ending up with the Distinguished Flying Cross, Meritorious Service Medal and Air Medal, so that each row has three medals.

Yeah. It's a plot device, but it's admittedly a logical necessity, which is why I'm for it.
                              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Definitely a good idea.

And
                                Spoiler:
                                Agree with the bold. I thought it was funny that he was chocolate tasting the other day. I think i saw a link somewhere that did a breakdown of medals, and i agree with everything you said in the spoilers regarding medals.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X