No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghana still in the game - my mother will be happy to know that the random team she chose is still playing.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Oh, the US lost

Sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Ghana still in the game - my mother will be happy to know that the random team she chose is still playing.
        Ghana is the best African team.
        The random team is South Korea or Japan.

By the way, I heard the song of Jonas Brothers and I havet to admit, It's not so bad....quite good...well I like it.lol
        sigpic
        Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
          By the way, I heard the song of Jonas Brothers and I havet to admit, It's not so bad....quite good...well I like it.lol
          See, don't judge a book or in this case a band by its cover.

And the Lemming had mail again... I had a reply to my earlier reply (see previous page I think for rest of the comment plus link):

Spoiler:
          I think there are a whole bunch of different places one could go with backstory and be canonical -- because canon really gives us so little! For example, we have no idea what kinds of relationships Athosians consider normal. We don't know if they even have marriage, as no one is ever referred to as a husband or wife. We don't know if they're polygamous or matriarchal and polyandrous. We don't know if they have divorce. We don't know if they practice infant or child betrothal, or none at all. And so any of those choices would be legitmately canonical!

Different people are going to make different ones, depending on what they're particularly interested in. Is this a matrifocal society with clan marriage taboos like the Iroquois? Is this a polygamous matrilinial society like some of the ancient nomads of Central Asia? Is this a society where marriages are arranged in early childhood to secure genetic diversity and prevent becoming too closely related? All of those would be interesting choices, and so are many others.

Fanfic exists so that all of the possibilities can exist. But I have to choose one and be consistent about it, build a world around it, and build these characters' relationships around it. Other writers might make different choices, and that's cool! I hope mine is enjoyable as well as logical and respectful.

So many things... I must admit that I sometimes forget how much goes into character-building and in this case people/tribe-building.

I have largely been of the side that puts the Athosians down as a matriarchal society. I think it started when Torren was named after Teyla's father while Teyla introduced herself in Rising as Daughter of Tagan. I ran with it...

And true, they missed the ball a little when it comes to Athosian development. I think we know more about the Goa'uld and how they act(ed) as a society than the Athosians. Hunter-gatherers from what I can tell in season 1, yet traders often going off-world. A few tidbits here and there... And darn it, I so would have loved to have seen more of them, known more. *shakes angry fist*

But nevertheless it's an interesting topic, which results in many long and deep discussions. I know I had my fair share. You just added a whole lot more material though - stuff that hadn't even crossed my mind.
          Someone should just write an Athosian Encyclopedia... Like a companion guide to the seasons, but instead of the characters and the episodes, it would be about the Athosians (or other tribes and/or species - the Wraith shouldn't feel left out).

No mention of polyam...polyromance...poly-something nomads though...

Comment

And the Lemming had mail again... I had a reply to my earlier reply (see previous page I think for rest of the comment plus link):
            Well, if it's not mentioned in canon, stay out of it then!! And if you do want to use Athosian society in your stories, make sure you do nothing that alters canon so much!!

Sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
              IMO, the thing Vegas!John did with the money shows the progress of his... how to word it, dammit - deterioration? Vegas!John is a wreck. He is a glove turned inside out, still the same man, but a very dark version of him. Yet, he still has some honor in him left, which is what final scenes are about. He dies for a cause that wasn't his cause at all, and he wouldn't be pulled into it, if there was nothing good left in him. Do I make any sense at all?
              Oh, absolutely. I just made that note about Vegas!Shep because it's important to distinguish between the two; that canon!Shep isn't so... tarnished.

On the latest bit of silliness to come out of Legacy... Honestly. Watching her contradicting herself and proving again and again that her claims of the books adhering to canon when in fact she's blatantly ignoring canon (Eri, great spot on that dialogue from Spoils of War that proves Torren is Teyla's first child; I had totally forgotten that!) is just really sad. I have to agree, I'm surprised more gen fans aren't up in arms over this, but I suppose it's because right now the hue and cry over all the screwball stuff going on is concentrated in the shipping segment of the fandom and the gen side hasn't gotten wind of it yet. I suspect it'll be only a matter of time, if they don't find out now, they sure will when the books start coming out and boy, the gen fans are gonna be pissed!

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
              question: I'm working on the download section of the website (wallpapers, banners, icons and sorts). How can we do this without including Elizabeth?
              Like I said: I agree about keeping Elizabeth's return quiet for as long as possible, but then what about all the artwork? What about the banners you guys use on this forum?
              Hmm, I think we could keep images of Elizabeth low-key to start with, but I don't see a problem with having her there. After all, even SyFy's SGA website still put up new wallpapers with Weir and Ford when Season 4 was on.
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Well, if it's not mentioned in canon, stay out of it then!! And if you do want to use Athosian society in your stories, make sure you do nothing that alters canon so much!!
                True... but look there's more... and the author and I agree on at least one point as it turns out:

Spoiler:
                There is a huge amount of thought that goes into it! And the point where you have to start making decisions is where different stories diverge. If Teyla and Kanaan are at the end of Enemy at the Gate roughly 37 and 40, what has kept them apart all these years? As soon as you say, "this is why," stories diverge. And that's cool.

I think the Athosians are indeed matriarchal for the same reason you do, the naming of Tagan. So that's a place where I've made the same decision going forward that you have. But of course somebody else could have gone somewhere else entirely! *shrug*

But of course somebody else could have gone somewhere else entirely! *shrug*

The world would be a boring place if we all thought the same way.

So luckily we don't...

I wish you the best of luck with all the decisions you may still have to make.

Now, I am going to feast on cookies and play the Sims - there's a Sheppard family waiting for me to come play with them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                  <snip>
                  *cracks up* gateraid, where do you keep coming up with these? LOL!
                  They're loosely based on my personal life And by loosely, I mean not at all

I've been trying to find any posts on the original casting sides as well. So far, all I've found is this revised casting information; it still lists the main scientist character as Ingram, so it predates the decision to bring McKay to Atlantis. It lists Teyla as being 20-25 and also quite clearly states that Weir is either the same age or younger than Sheppard. So much for her being an 'old bat,' eh?
                  Thanks for that. I'm not sure David would appreciate the fact that they've listed his character as being 40-50. I guess they dropped Bates, Parker and Smitty as members of the away team too. As well as Parker and Smitty completely.

See, don't judge a book or in this case a band by its cover.
                  But don't watch their tv show though It's on just before AFV here, and if I mistime it, I get the last few minutes of Jonas *shudders*

Spoiler:
                  I think there are a whole bunch of different places one could go with backstory and be canonical -- because canon really gives us so little! For example, we have no idea what kinds of relationships Athosians consider normal. We don't know if they even have marriage, as no one is ever referred to as a husband or wife. We don't know if they're polygamous or matriarchal and polyandrous. We don't know if they have divorce. We don't know if they practice infant or child betrothal, or none at all. And so any of those choices would be legitmately canonical!

Different people are going to make different ones, depending on what they're particularly interested in. Is this a matrifocal society with clan marriage taboos like the Iroquois? Is this a polygamous matrilinial society like some of the ancient nomads of Central Asia? Is this a society where marriages are arranged in early childhood to secure genetic diversity and prevent becoming too closely related? All of those would be interesting choices, and so are many others.

Fanfic exists so that all of the possibilities can exist. But I have to choose one and be consistent about it, build a world around it, and build these characters' relationships around it. Other writers might make different choices, and that's cool! I hope mine is enjoyable as well as logical and respectful.

So many things... I must admit that I sometimes forget how much goes into character-building and in this case people/tribe-building.

I have largely been of the side that puts the Athosians down as a matriarchal society. I think it started when Torren was named after Teyla's father while Teyla introduced herself in Rising as Daughter of Tagan. I ran with it...

And true, they missed the ball a little when it comes to Athosian development. I think we know more about the Goa'uld and how they act(ed) as a society than the Athosians. Hunter-gatherers from what I can tell in season 1, yet traders often going off-world. A few tidbits here and there... And darn it, I so would have loved to have seen more of them, known more. *shakes angry fist*

But nevertheless it's an interesting topic, which results in many long and deep discussions. I know I had my fair share. You just added a whole lot more material though - stuff that hadn't even crossed my mind.
                  Someone should just write an Athosian Encyclopedia... Like a companion guide to the seasons, but instead of the characters and the episodes, it would be about the Athosians (or other tribes and/or species - the Wraith shouldn't feel left out).

No mention of polyam...polyromance...poly-something nomads though...
                  I can follow her reasoning at least, if not her conclusions. There's very little known about the Athosians. But I'd draw from what we know about Teyla, and Halling. Interestingly, Halling probably gives us more insight than Teyla. They have traditions, are religious in a sense, value spirituality. Perhaps its a leap to use that information to extrapolate their beliefs on love, life, and sexuality, but if you don't at least incorporate that in somewhere, its a little foolish.
                  sigpic

Comment

Now, I am going to feast on cookies and play the Sims - there's a Sheppard family waiting for me to come play with them again.
                    Ooh, you have a Sheppard family too?
                    I love The Sims... been way too long since I played though

OT on Dr. Who:
                    Spoiler:
                    so... the last Dr. Who episode of this season didn't make me cry and didn't make me feel elated... This is the first time since I started watching Dr. Who that I'm not bouncing around, hoping the next season would be here already. Yes... I am very disappointed
                    I have tried to give this new season and this new doctor an honest chance, but I really am disappointed

Sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                      But don't watch their tv show though It's on just before AFV here, and if I mistime it, I get the last few minutes of Jonas *shudders*
                      *whistles innocently*

It's on the Disney Channel, which yes I watch... Sonny With A Chance - Jonas - Wizards Of Waverly Place.

Ooh, you have a Sheppard family too?
                      I love The Sims... been way too long since I played though
                      Yup, it consists of Elizabeth and John, Kate and Teyla. And there are 4 children (last I saw).

OT on Dr. Who:
                      Stopped watching after episode 3.

Comment

Yup, it consists of Elizabeth and John, Kate and Teyla. And there are 4 children (last I saw).
                        I have John and Elizabeth with one child, Lilly. But Elizabeth is pregnant with their second child. And that will be it. After two kids, she has a career to think about... which is in politics btw And John's an astronaut

Stopped watching after episode 3.
                        Don't blame you... sorta wish I had, but I really wanted to give it a chance... I'm crazy like that

Sig by me

Comment

The feeble beginnings of the download section are online. More will come later... need sleep first...
                          See you all tomorrow!!!

Sig by me

Comment

They're loosely based on my personal life And by loosely, I mean not at all
                            *snickers*

Thanks for that. I'm not sure David would appreciate the fact that they've listed his character as being 40-50. I guess they dropped Bates, Parker and Smitty as members of the away team too. As well as Parker and Smitty completely.
                            Maybe Parker and Smitty were the two guards who got shot by Kolya in The Storm?
                            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

The feeble beginnings of the download section are online. More will come later... need sleep first...
                              See you all tomorrow!!!
                              Whoo hoo, looking good so far! Good night, Kris! Pleasant Sparky dreams!

Comment

I have John and Elizabeth with one child, Lilly. But Elizabeth is pregnant with their second child. And that will be it. After two kids, she has a career to think about... which is in politics btw And John's an astronaut
                                Can't remember their exact careers, though Elizabeth is something with medical stuff and I think I have John and Kate doing the same thing - they work at the Sims' equivalent of the Sealife center. No clue what Teyla is doing... didn't check. Then there are the four kids of which Ronon and Laura are definitely John and Elizabeth's kids. The two wee babies are Lani and Tagan of which I can't remember which one belongs with what couple... Oops! It's been a while since I played.

Comment

Working...
                                X