No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, it's tenacious_err who requested to write "day in the life of Rodney Mckay". She's not a member of GW, but she said she is willing to join and follow the season six suggestions

Of course, advertizing should come after groundwork is laid. But I felt I should share the thought about advertizing our efforts. This season is looking very good so far and I honestly believe that many people could find things to enjoy.
    I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
      Oh, it's tenacious_err who requested to write "day in the life of Rodney Mckay". She's not a member of GW, but she said she is willing to join and follow the season six suggestions

Of course, advertizing should come after groundwork is laid. But I felt I should share the thought about advertizing our efforts. This season is looking very good so far and I honestly believe that many people could find things to enjoy.
      Yes, I saw tenacious_err's request, that's why I wanted to check with Erin, because I think she requested it a month ago. I didn't want to promise anything to T_E if Erin had already requested it.

Also, a question for PKPRD about "Run Through the Jungle"

Spoiler:
      Do you want to work in resolving the "Elizabeth carrying a gun" issue through there? The more I thought about it, the more I thought we could share the 'drama' rather than having it resolve solely in my episode. I was thinking we'd have John bring it up first in "Found In Translation" and then bring it up again in "RTTJ"

The reason being in part because I think it's a bigger issue than can be resolved in one episode, and also because I think "Found in Translation," as I brainstorm it, is turning into an "Elizabeth needs to find where she fits" episode, with various people telling her they're glad she's back--taking cue from Lockdown and what her subconscious did there, this episode has people reassuring her that this is her new job. By the end, I want to have her feel like she's sorta fitting in and that everything will be okay (save those doubts lingering in her mind that we'll build up to House of Mirrors).

Anyways, I thought it might be fun to bring up the gun thing but not resolve it until later. Your episode might be a perfect vehicle for this--what do you think?

'Nuna, I have title suggestions for your story, too. Since both John and Joe like Johnny Cash, I perused his song list. How about any of these?

Man in Black

Spoiler:

Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
      Why you never see bright colors on my back,
      And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
      Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,
      Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,
      I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,
      But is there because he's a victim of the times.

I wear the black for those who never read,
      Or listened to the words that Jesus said,
      About the road to happiness through love and charity,
      Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose,
      In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes,
      But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,
      Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black.

I wear it for the sick and lonely old,
      For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,
      I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,
      Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.

And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,
      Believen' that the Lord was on their side,
      I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,
      Believen' that we all were on their side.

Well, there's things that never will be right I know,
      And things need changin' everywhere you go,
      But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
      You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
      And tell the world that everything's OK,
      But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
      'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black.

Highwayman (i LOVE the relevance of these lyrics to John, but don't know how the title meshes with the feel of the episode)

Spoiler:
      I was a highwayman. Along the coach roads I did ride
      With sword and pistol by my side
      Many a young maid lost her baubles to my trade
      Many a soldier shed his lifeblood on my blade
      The *******s hung me in the spring of twenty-five
      But I am still alive.

I was a sailor. I was born upon the tide
      And with the sea I did abide.
      I sailed a schooner round the Horn to Mexico
      I went aloft and furled the mainsail in a blow
      And when the yards broke off they said that I got killed
      But I am living still.

I was a dam builder across the river deep and wide
      Where steel and water did collide
      A place called Boulder on the wild Colorado
      I slipped and fell into the wet concrete below
      They buried me in that great tomb that knows no sound
      But I am still around..I'll always be around..and around and around and
      around and around

I fly a starship across the Universe divide
      And when I reach the other side
      I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can
      Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
      Or I may simply be a single drop of rain
      But I will remain
      And I'll be back again, and again and again and again and again..

Home of the Blues
      Spoiler:

Just around the corner there's heartache
      Down the street that losers use
      If you can wade in through the teardrops
      You'll find me at the Home of the Blues

I walk and cry while my heartbeat
      Keeps time with the drag of my shoes
      The sun never shines through this window of mine
      It's dark at the Home of the Blues

Oh, but the place is filled with the sweetest mem'ries
      Mem'ries so sweet that I cry
      Dreams that I've had left me feeling so bad
      I just want to give up and lay down and die

So if you've just lost your sweetheart
      And it seems there's no good way to choose
      Come along with me, misery loves company
      You're welcome at the Home of the Blues

Just around the corner there's heartache
      Down the street that losers use
      If you can wade in through the teardrops
      You'll find me at the Home of the Blues
      Yeah, you're gonna find me at the Home of the Blues

And of course, his staples "Ring of Fire" and "I Walk the Line", too. I'm not sure how I feel about any them as they're not very, very grave, but just suggestions.
      Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Yes, we need to let tenacious_err know if that ep is promised to someone else because it's not on the comm. Maybe this is a good time to update our list of writers.

I think also that a lot of people will be scared off by our "Sparky Season 6" name so getting the word out that the ship is way in the future and there's action and whump and emphasis on all the characters without changing canon is vital.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
          I think also that a lot of people will be scared off by our "Sparky Season 6" name so getting the word out that the ship is way in the future and there's action and whump and emphasis on all the characters without changing canon is vital.
          Yeah, I was also thinking about that. Maybe we should rename it into Virtual Season 6 or something other neutral...

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

@Eri - oooh, whoops. I dodn't know the Rodney episode was claimed. I'm sorry.

About songs - those are all perfect for John, especially The Highwayman. *sigh*

This part especially:

But I will remain

It's beautiful, and reflects at least one aspect of John. I think "Gravity" of all suggestions is best so far, and I think I can play with various meanings of the word. But I was thinking about putting together a soundtrack for my episodes, and "The Highwayman" fits beautifully. "Home of the blues" is gorgeous, too, in that sad, melancholic way. "man in black" always makes me thing of what John thinks about various topics. I could do a ficlet on that, and why he loves Johnny Cash so much. *g* Maybe we could fit that into the season somewhere.

Guys, what do you all think of our 'soundtrack' for season 6? We are already having fun all the way, I don't see why we couldn't come up with (inspirational) fanmixes

Comment

Yes, we need to let tenacious_err know if that ep is promised to someone else because it's not on the comm. Maybe this is a good time to update our list of writers.

Agreed. I was thinking that when we've gone through and brainstormed through the finale, that we open up discussion piece by piece to various groups--like the Wraith fans, the McSheppers, McKellers, Zelenka fans, etc, and show them our plans for those characters and ask them to contribute from their perspective. We can't please everyone, but we can definitely listen to all suggestions. And by doing it one group at a time (as best we can) we can focus on the episodes that would interest them the most. It may also then be easier to explain what our purpose is and how, despite where this idea originated, that we're doing our best to make it something all fans can enjoy. That's it's not shippy, at least not generally.

I think Erin's the only one I missed, besides adding SK and myself down as the co-writers for TLC 2 part finale.

I can add a post at the top talking about what this is in the industrial sense--meaning the amount of work we're putting into it (i.e., it's structured, will be multi-beta'd, is not shipper oriented for S6, has some writing requirements in the story build [descriptive omniscient narrator except in rare cases, mimic show set-up, etc]) so that potential volunteers can know. In that post I can also add that you can register for the comm to sign up--both SR and I are mod/admins there, and once you're a member you can post in the comments.

Comment

@Eri - oooh, whoops. I dodn't know the Rodney episode was claimed. I'm sorry.

About songs - those are all perfect for John, especially The Highwayman. *sigh*

This part especially:

But I will remain

It's beautiful, and reflects at least one aspect of John. I think "Gravity" of all suggestions is best so far, and I think I can play with various meanings of the word. But I was thinking about putting together a soundtrack for my episodes, and "The Highwayman" fits beautifully. "Home of the blues" is gorgeous, too, in that sad, melancholic way. "man in black" always makes me thing of what John thinks about various topics. I could do a ficlet on that, and why he loves Johnny Cash so much. *g* Maybe we could fit that into the season somewhere.

Guys, what do you all think of our 'soundtrack' for season 6? We are already having fun all the way, I don't see why we couldn't come up with (inspirational) fanmixes
                No, that's totally my fault. I should have posted it up when she requested it--how else would anyone know? So I apologize.

Isn't that lyric from The Highwayman the BEST? I about died when I read it. I'm going to give it a listen at lunch to hear what it sounds like.

If everyone likes "Gravity" I'll update the comm.

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                  Agreed. I was thinking that when we've gone through and brainstormed through the finale, that we open up discussion piece by piece to various groups--like the Wraith fans, the McSheppers, McKellers, Zelenka fans, etc, and show them our plans for those characters and ask them to contribute from their perspective. We can't please everyone, but we can definitely listen to all suggestions. And by doing it one group at a time (as best we can) we can focus on the episodes that would interest them the most. It may also then be easier to explain what our purpose is and how, despite where this idea originated, that we're doing our best to make it something all fans can enjoy. That's it's not shippy, at least not generally.

I think Erin's the only one I missed, besides adding SK and myself down as the co-writers for TLC 2 part finale.

I can add a post at the top talking about what this is in the industrial sense--meaning the amount of work we're putting into it (i.e., it's structured, will be multi-beta'd, is not shipper oriented for S6, has some writing requirements in the story build [descriptive omniscient narrator except in rare cases, mimic show set-up, etc]) so that potential volunteers can know. In that post I can also add that you can register for the comm to sign up--both SR and I are mod/admins there, and once you're a member you can post in the comments.
                  Good ideas. Maybe we can find something else that tenacious_err can do. She's a great writer. And that was my fault. I glomped her when she volunteered.

The final products on this have to be as perfect as we can get them. I have seen so many fics that have been beta'd yet still contain multiple grammar errors. It drives me bananas. So I am volunteering to give every fic a pass before it's published. OMG, did I just say that? And I will be ruthless.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

No more Sparky? No more hope that Sparky will happen end of Season 7? That is really sad news

Comment

Good ideas. Maybe we can find something else that tenacious_err can do. She's a great writer. And that was my fault. I glomped her when she volunteered.

The final products on this have to be as perfect as we can get them. I have seen so many fics that have been beta'd yet still contain multiple grammar errors. It drives me bananas. So I am volunteering to give every fic a pass before it's published. OMG, did I just say that? And I will be ruthless.
                      Ha ha. You did and I have it on record. I think I'll turn it into a sticky.

My take, too, is to be strict. I think they're going to have to be long fics, so that's something to keep in mind. Episode lengths need to be about the same. This is going to be a long process, methinks, but a fun one.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                        Just lock him in a dark cell with no contact with anyone except his torturer. Maybe the torturers themselves never even show their faces (or if they do, it won't be until the end) to maintain that feeling of isolation. They'll come at irregular intervals so that he can't even keep track of what time it is, and it'll seem to go on for so long that he'll start thinking that even his torturers have abandoned him to rot in that dark, cold cell. Yeah, that'll be some scary s**t for John.
                        Wasn't one of the original idea for this him being locked in some kind of sensory deprivation room/cell?

Love all the ideas for this ep. Like the whole season, this is going to turn out to be very interesting.

I agree, but I want the backbone of this built up before we really start showing it around. From my RL experience, too many chefs in the kitchen during the early building process leads to all kinds of disorder and confusion. Let's get the groundwork laid out with story suggestions built up and thought out, then we'll open it the general populace for what they'd like to see before true writing begins.

Also--I saw the note on LJ--I think Erin87 had asked to write "A Day in the Life of Rodney McKay" but I don't remember--I might not have noted it. Erin, was this true? And PKPRD requested "Blitzkrieg"--can you guys confirm or deny? I don't want to shortshrift writers if they requested it first.
                        Yep, I did indeed request that quite a while ago, along with the Wraith worshipers ep.
                        sigpic
                        Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by nephtys59 View Post
                          No more Sparky? No more hope that Sparky will happen end of Season 7? That is really sad news
                          Where did she say that? Our aim with this has always been canon Sparky, which means it'll be muted in S6 with just a few John/Liz moments, as has always been the case with SGA. Never at any point in time did we propose to make S6 be a romance novel.

Season 7 IS way in the future. What happens then is anyone's guess, but for now, I'm only concerned with S6 and what it takes to complete it.

Comment

Never at any point in time did we propose to make S6 be a romance novel.
                            Never at any point in time did I believe the ex-Sparky now-Virtual Season 6 would be a romance novel.
                            Sorry I asked.

Comment

Originally posted by nephtys59 View Post
                              Never at any point in time did I believe the ex-Sparky now-Virtual Season 6 would be a romance novel.
                              Sorry I asked.
                              Maybe it's good you asked. I think that, ever since we started working on this virtual season, we empasized that this is our way of fixing various things that happened in the show - lack of continuity, bad or sloppy writing, random pairing up that happened out of nowhere. The way I personally understood it, we are continuing where the real show has left off, and we are fixing something that hurts us most, and that is lack of Elizabeth.

look around this thread, do you really think we'd forget about sparky just to please other shippers? No, of course not. But we want things to happen slowly, purposefully, with good character development, and I stress development. John and Elizabeth can't just jump into each other's arms. Even a TV season like that wouldn't be as enjoyable as slow and steady buildup.

There's no need to feel offended. We all want sparky to happen. but we want to do it really well and perhaps show the rest of the fannish world how good it can be.

Comment

There's no need to feel offended. We all want sparky to happen. but we want to do it really well and perhaps show the rest of the fannish world how good it can be.
                                I'm not offended. Seems that my question was considered as offending. And it wasn't my intention at all.
                                I can't be a writer because I'm Italian, my english knowledge is not THAT good. I just would like sparky to happen in the final season (7?). Just because I believe they deserve it.

Comment

Working...
                                X