Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    Don't worry I greened Eri for you. That was simply brilliant and I can't add a thing. You know a lot of postmortem analysis is going on all over the general threads and I've seen a number of rants about how frustrated some viewers are. I think you both and Reiko should add these thoughts because the views are different from the others. Rants are good when they are coherent and these are.

And something OT.
    Spoiler:
    I had mentioned earlier about my friend who has breast cancer. She had her surgery yesterday, mastectomy and reconstruction, and is doing well. They had a friend with a 4 wheel drive who got them to the hospital. Her husband says she hopes to come home on Sat. Thanks for all the prayers, etc.
    I'd go over to the general threads, except that I'm just so sick and tired of having to defend myself when I'm swarmed by people with no common sense who attack everything I say just because I'm a Weir and Sparky fan. *sighs*

But...
    Spoiler:
    I'm very glad to hear your friend is doing well! That's great news!

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
    That was exactly my point, it would have been simple to add a couple extra things.

Anyway, everything I said before Is of course my opinion only. I'm just a guy who liked all 5 seasons, just for different reasons. (That was a totally unintentional rhyme). I'm not saying I was not frustrated by a few of the things you guys mentioned, but I still enjoyed what we got. I'm a little busy at the moment so I can't post a that great of explanation. But I will come back to it if I can. I think one of the main problems was they wanted to get away from some of their formula for the first part of the show, but didn't want to go too far away. So it ended up giving us almost a "half-way" to a darker serialized show. Which obviously felt really incomplete. And that didn't exactly make a whole lot of sense either way; but that was still enjoyable TV for me.

As far as the success of the show goes, it's really hard to quantify exactly what the fans did or did not want. Some people such as many of yourselves many have tuned out in Season 4 and 5. But others didn't. Some people may have tuned in because maybe they liked all the thins you hated or hated all the things you liked. Or maybe hated the things you hated and like some of the things you also hated. (Not too much unlike myself if I wasn't watching in only on DVDs)

I think even on Gateworld alone for example there are people that both love and hate the same show for apparently opposite reasons. I've seen complaints that the show got too dark and I've seen complaints that the show was too light hearted. And that's just one example. The McKeller storyline certainly was a polarizing thing too, many people loved or hated it but even people who hated it seemed to disagree diametrically. I think it says a lot that some people said they hated the couple because they loved Rodney and some people hated the couple because they hated Rodney! Despite the controversy, I think the show was still going strong enough (at the very least in a basic successful TV sort of sense) to merit a 6th season by the time they did pull the plug on it.
    Heck, I stuck around in the hope (vain, as it turned out) that somehow, there was a real plan buried amongst all the haphazard story ideas, that when everything was said and done, all these pieces would come together and make some sort of sense. It never did.

And you're right, the show was still strong enough, numbers wise, that they could have gotten a sixth season. As I understand it, SyFy definitely wanted it and were willing to foot their part of the bill for both SGA and SGU, but it was Wright (and to a lesser extent, MGM) who were leery of running two shows at once.

Originally posted by nephtys59 View Post
    Only B5 was able to give me a wonderful Series Finale like "Sleeping in Light" ... I still believe it's the best I ever watched and I'll ever watch in my life.
    You and me both. I still hold up B5 as the bar by which I judge arc-driven television today.

Yes and most of the time it seemed like John was running the place because Carter was no where to be seen or he just went off and did what he wanted unless she was conveniently somehow on the base. Like in S&R when she let him go off wounded. What terrible writing. Keller could easily have sedated him and should have.

The Carter/John relationship was like Weir/John without the personal connection. They wrote her and later Woolsey in almost the exact same way as Elizabeth. I actually liked the Woolsey/John dynamic but still think Woolsey was accepted too easily. Why not have a little conflict? Why not let us see what losing her meant to everyone? Even minor characters such as Chuck and Zelenka should have had their moment to miss her. And the very core belief that John stuck to for the entire series that you don't leave anyone behind was tossed aside when it came to the leader of the expedition. That just never made sense.
    Terrible writing is correct. Doctors not looking out for their patients like they should, commanders not seen making command decisions except when it's the big, heavy, 'let's go blow up the enemy' episode, heroes ignoring their own personal code of honor... Gah. I'm gonna need some aspirin for all the headdesking I'm doing.

Anyway, back to Sparky Season 6, I've got some thoughts on Todd that I'll put up in a bit...
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

A hearty BRAVO to the Sparky thread for another amazing, thought-provoking discussion day. All I can do is read and nod my head in agreement.

All this discussion about the parts of SGA that "fell flat" for us makes me even more excited to see Sparky Season 6! WOOT!
      sigpic
      Signature by Erin87

Comment

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
        A hearty BRAVO to the Sparky thread for another amazing, thought-provoking discussion day. All I can do is read and nod my head in agreement.

All this discussion about the parts of SGA that "fell flat" for us makes me even more excited to see Sparky Season 6! WOOT!
        Word! Because we, unlike TPTW, are gonna do it right!

So, to SS6 discussion...

First, with the new trailer from FH, I wonder if we should add a post over on the LJ comm about promotional materials, with links to Erin's and FH's trailers, and Erin's sig banners? 'Tis a thought.

Now, to Todd! I think we're going to need to have a bit of setup in the season premiere, dealing with the IOA/Stargate Command having to make a decision on what to do with Todd. Keeping him on Atlantis while Atlantis is still on Earth is probably one of the safest choices; it's practically like another Alcatraz in that it'd be really hard for him to escape, whereas if he were moved somewhere else on Earth, there may be a bigger risk of him being able to escape and trying to blend in on Earth, like the gambling Wraith from Vegas. Off-world in the Milky Way could be just as bad, as it would be even easier to disappear once he gets to a Stargate.

Since we seem to be leaning towards the idea of the Coalition calling for Atlantis's assistance in the face of renewed Wraith activity, I wonder if a possible reason to letting Todd go once they get back to Pegasus might be to give Atlantis a potential source of information from inside the Wraith. There's only so much information they'd be able to gather from the Coalition's reports, and while getting Todd back to his Hive is a risk as he's going to be looking after his own interests first, that can also potentially serve Atlantis's ends if what the rest of the Wraith are doing threatens Todd's plans. There's also the potential to seeing an encore appearance of "Wraith Queen Teyla" at some point in the season, which might be kind of fun (and probably freaky for Elizabeth, if it happens after her rescue!).

Thoughts and comments?
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
          It's been a little while since I've seen early Season 4 episodes but I could see John (and most of the expedition really) being professional enough to not give Sam any unnecessary problems. It's not really her fault they weren't able to save her and I think it's easy to see how they could be friends, but Ronon's sudden change in opinion and acceptance seemed a bit odd. I guess it's one of those thing's we're supposed to believe happened off screen so the irregular viewers aren't confused. And I guess Sam was supposed to be super great at everything.

Thinking back, I can really see certain bond between Carter and Sheppard but Sam had nowhere near the same level of chemistry with him or any of the cast that Elizabeth did. I tended to look at it like: John loses one of his closest friends. But he doesn't take it out on his new commander because Sam was a nice enough individual. So by the time Richard Woolsey roles around he wouldn't have had the same resentment he might have had if he replaced directly Weir.

The thing about Search and Rescue was on one hand I thought that was an awesome moment because John really articulates that desperation to save his friends perhaps as best as he's ever done. But the fact that Keller actually acquiesce and just let him go seemed pretty silly. And it really didn't exactly speak well of her. She seemed more concerned with keeping him "happy" (for lack of a better word) than alive. I imagine if it had been Janet Fraiser she would have probably strapped him to the bed and saved his life even if he'd been kicking and screaming.

Although, actually what happened was rather confusing to me. At first I thought maybe she had done something to him that temporarily made him stronger so he could go on the mission. He seemed in strangely pretty good shape for a guy that he just been buried under all of that rubble. I thought that was an interesting development since even thought it maybe have been an ethical issue, it at least made sense. But since I couldn't actually think of any device or special drug mentioned they had in their possession that could do that and no explanation was ever given, I guess we're supposed to believe she just let him go and hoped he didn't die?

I mean sure, I could really get behind the idea that Keller bent the rules to help John save Teyla, but the way they ended up doing it was far fetched. Not a huge deal really, but I kinda wish they'd done it slightly differently.

Holy crap this post was way longer than I intended.
          Grudgingly, I have to agree that John wouldn't hold losing Elizabeth against Sam. Plus there is the whole command thing. Darn it, I just want him to get mad at somebody. LOL

I thought the same about Keller in S&R. Maybe a blood transfusion or sutures or something or maybe the wound wasn't as bad as she thought at first. But who knows. I thought Joe did a masterful job of trying to hold himself together while falling apart. And I loved this part with Keller which reminded me of Elizabeth.

SHEPPARD: I have had a chance to rescue a team mate before, and it slipped through my hands. I am not letting that happen again.

And of course if they hadn't cut the lines about Weir out of Remnants there would have been some continuity. But no, we can't have that. Sigh.

Oh and SK, ITA on venturing out of this thread. Your opinions always get attacked. One look at our sigs and we're automatically not worth listening to. But some posters can say the same things over and over and over without any contradiction. However being just as obnoxious as they are is too much of a hassle. Maybe someday the mods will get tired of it and actually invoke the new rules. Maybe.
          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
            First, with the new trailer from FH, I wonder if we should add a post over on the LJ comm about promotional materials, with links to Erin's and FH's trailers, and Erin's sig banners? 'Tis a thought.
            I think that would be cool, cause it would make the pimpage easier.

Also, and this is so totally a random but mostly funny thought, don't we need like a magazine or interviews, or something... Behind the scenes things, and maybe bloopers. And will there be audio commentaries? Podcasts? Indepth analyses of the episodes by cast and crew? Featurs?

Or is that too much?

Since we seem to be leaning towards the idea of the Coalition calling for Atlantis's assistance in the face of renewed Wraith activity, I wonder if a possible reason to letting Todd go once they get back to Pegasus might be to give Atlantis a potential source of information from inside the Wraith. There's only so much information they'd be able to gather from the Coalition's reports, and while getting Todd back to his Hive is a risk as he's going to be looking after his own interests first, that can also potentially serve Atlantis's ends if what the rest of the Wraith are doing threatens Todd's plans. There's also the potential to seeing an encore appearance of "Wraith Queen Teyla" at some point in the season, which might be kind of fun (and probably freaky for Elizabeth, if it happens after her rescue!).
            Can I be leaning with you... cause this sounds fascinating, and poor Elizabeth when she discovers Teyla's Queen act (and promptly has a completely different sort of Queen in mind than the Wraith variety).
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

First of all excuse the double post. I've been doing that a lot lately but we just hit
              93,000 posts!

So, to SS6 discussion...

Now, to Todd! I think we're going to need to have a bit of setup in the season premiere, dealing with the IOA/Stargate Command having to make a decision on what to do with Todd. Keeping him on Atlantis while Atlantis is still on Earth is probably one of the safest choices; it's practically like another Alcatraz in that it'd be really hard for him to escape, whereas if he were moved somewhere else on Earth, there may be a bigger risk of him being able to escape and trying to blend in on Earth, like the gambling Wraith from Vegas. Off-world in the Milky Way could be just as bad, as it would be even easier to disappear once he gets to a Stargate.

Thoughts and comments?
              Yes, I agree we need a post with those links. Eri will probably be along soon to handle that or I can do it if she's busy.

I like your ideas on Todd. I can see the IOA wanting to take him over and John going totally ballistic followed closely by Ronon. And I love the idea of another Teyla queen situation. That would be a good way to work in more Kanaan also.
              sigpic

Comment

So, to SS6 discussion...

Thoughts and comments?
                Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Also, and this is so totally a random but mostly funny thought, don't we need like a magazine or interviews, or something... Behind the scenes things, and maybe bloopers. And will there be audio commentaries? Podcasts? Indepth analyses of the episodes by cast and crew? Featurs?

Or is that too much?

Can I be leaning with you... cause this sounds fascinating, and poor Elizabeth when she discovers Teyla's Queen act (and promptly has a completely different sort of Queen in mind than the Wraith variety).
                First of all excuse the double post. I've been doing that a lot lately but we just hit
                93,000 posts!

Yes, I agree we need a post with those links. Eri will probably be along soon to handle that or I can do it if she's busy.

I like your ideas on Todd. I can see the IOA wanting to take him over and John going totally ballistic followed closely by Ronon. And I love the idea of another Teyla queen situation. That would be a good way to work in more Kanaan also.
                No problems with a new post--it'll be at the top of our posts, but I think that's okay as a general post promoting our season. I can do it tomorrow or Saturday (today's kinda crunched work-wise).

If someone wants to gather all the links to those things, though, and put it in a post here or PM me, I'd appreciate it. Or, SR, you can make the post at the journal and I'll update the icon or something later.

I agree with Todd--he'll definitely be addressed in the Premiere, but perhaps we make his episode (#3) about getting back in with his Hive? That can start the Queen Teyla story (we have so much Teyla this season! I love it) and then perhaps bring her back in the Extinction episode so Elizabeth can see her.

Congrats to us!!!
                Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                  No problems with a new post--it'll be at the top of our posts, but I think that's okay as a general post promoting our season. I can do it tomorrow or Saturday (today's kinda crunched work-wise).

If someone wants to gather all the links to those things, though, and put it in a post here or PM me, I'd appreciate it. Or, SR, you can make the post at the journal and I'll update the icon or something later.

I agree with Todd--he'll definitely be addressed in the Premiere, but perhaps we make his episode (#3) about getting back in with his Hive? That can start the Queen Teyla story (we have so much Teyla this season! I love it) and then perhaps bring her back in the Extinction episode so Elizabeth can see her.

Congrats to us!!!
                  I'll gather those links and PM you.
                  sigpic

Comment

Merci!

Comment

*runs in circles* *waves hand in the air, turns around and runs in the opposite direction*

Snowplow! Snowplow! OMG!Snowplow! That is all. *collapses in relief*
                      sigpic

Comment

*LOL* Don't hurt yourself!

Wish I had reason for a snowplow. All I've got is super cold temperatures and a requirement by my tennis captain to show up for practice tonight at 6:30. Is she crazy? it's going to be like 20 degrees. Tennis balls don't even bounce in this cold!

Comment

Erin 87 and Falcon, what are you handles on LJ? I want to credit you properly if you want to be credited through your LJ handles too.

The post is up--take a look and let me know if that works for everyone. I thought we might want to explain what we're doing.

Comment

On the absolutely fabulous discussion:

All those posts are MADE OF AWESOME!! I am seriously in awe of you all. Mental Green!

Something I think SK said about SGA having its great moments individually but lacking in the series as a whole... I definitely agree with this, and also say that SGA is a very sneaky show. Because like recently, when I was watching the last half of S5, I knew in my head that in comparison it wasn't as good as it used to be, but when I was actually watching the episodes I found myself really happy during moments. Mostly this was a scene with Rodney being Rodney, or Ronon saying something in his usual blunt way, and it struck me again how much I love this show. I guess that again just goes back to the pull of the characters and how much they make you come to care about them. I think Rodney in particular is a prime example of characters growing on you. Cause in the beginning (particularly when he was on SG-1) it was like 'Ack, McKay you're such a jerk!' and then by the time we get well into Atlantis it's just like 'Oh, Rodney', because it's him and it's just how he is and you've gotten used to it, much I guess like John and Liz did.

But yeah... stopping the ramble now.

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
                            I've been obsessing over the whole "we gotta change the beds" thing for Sparky Season 6.....LOL

Options? (Ignore the bedding and just go for the look of the bed). They are in no sort of order....

http://www.bedroomfurniture.com/Sout...17-TH1830.html

http://www.bedroomfurniture.com/Fash...6X-FB2260.html

http://www.bedroomfurniture.com/Life...ET-LF1341.html

http://www.bedroomfurniture.com/Hill...es-HF3614.html

http://www.bedroomfurniture.com/Cros...s-BRH3537.html

http://www.bedroomfurniture.com/Lexi...C-LTN1165.html

http://www.bedroomfurniture.com/Lexi...C-LTN1162.html

LOL, I guess I'm really concerned where John & Elizabeth are going to sleep!

Edit to Add: Personally, I am a fan of sleigh beds, but that look didn't seem to "fit" with Atlantis design, hehehe.
                            Ooo, those are cool! I like the Brooklyn; it's very Ancient-y.

COOL!!

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                            Just wanted to post some Joe news:
                            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...1#post11207958
                            and
                            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...1#post11207999
                            Jace has a FaceBook Page in addition to his Twitter where he mentions Joe:
                            http://www.facebook.com/JaceHallShow?ref=nf
                            *gasp* JF on NBC?! *squees and dies at the possibility*

Originally posted by nephtys59 View Post
                            Great!!!
                            I feel like I need to make my trailer and banner too!
                            Where do I get a Sparky Season 6 logo?
                            I can send you one, or...

<snip for space>
                            Erin did a bunch of them. Maybe she'd be willing to repost them.
                            I can do this:

Spoiler:

Let me know if you want just the logo though.

So, to SS6 discussion...

Thoughts and comments?
                            Yeah, I can see that being a good reason for letting him go (unless we have him try to make an escape attempt with the plotting and cunning that we know he's capable of). And they'd probably try and put all these restrictions on him like a tracking device so they can keep tabs on him and such like that.

And I definitely think it would freak Elizabeth out a little bit to see Teyla as a Wraith Queen (yet another unsettling reminder of how much has changed since she's been gone). That could be a large part of the 'Extinction' storyline like Eri mentioned, or depending on how things work out it could be perhaps a scene in some other episode to kind of show how Atlantis has been dealing continually with Todd since the beginning of the season. Maybe Teyla has gone several times to perform her little act as Todd's Queen and this is sort of a "normal" thing for them, but Elizabeth hasn't ever seen the actual transformation before. (maybe this could be another build up of stress that leads to 'House of Mirrors'?)

Oh, and I just thought of a possible way to make Teyla look like a Queen without having to have the surgery every time. On SG-1 they had these alien mimic devices. Perhaps Atlantis can get a hold of one and they can program it to Teyla's Wraith appearance?
                            sigpic
                            Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Whoo Hoo! Congrats to us on 93,000 posts!

And SR, yay for snowplows!

*passes out champagne and red velvet cupcakes*

Grudgingly, I have to agree that John wouldn't hold losing Elizabeth against Sam. Plus there is the whole command thing. Darn it, I just want him to get mad at somebody. LOL
                              LOL, me too! It's just not fair that Sheppard can't rage against The Man.

I thought the same about Keller in S&R. Maybe a blood transfusion or sutures or something or maybe the wound wasn't as bad as she thought at first. But who knows. I thought Joe did a masterful job of trying to hold himself together while falling apart. And I loved this part with Keller which reminded me of Elizabeth.

SHEPPARD: I have had a chance to rescue a team mate before, and it slipped through my hands. I am not letting that happen again.

And of course if they hadn't cut the lines about Weir out of Remnants there would have been some continuity. But no, we can't have that. Sigh.
                              And you just know that some people were totally ignoring the Big Red Elephant and thinking of Ford in both cases. And to be honest, it's true that he also fits, but really, which loss has hurt Sheppard more?

Oh and SK, ITA on venturing out of this thread. Your opinions always get attacked. One look at our sigs and we're automatically not worth listening to. But some posters can say the same things over and over and over without any contradiction. However being just as obnoxious as they are is too much of a hassle. Maybe someday the mods will get tired of it and actually invoke the new rules. Maybe.
                              Maybe. When pigs fly, hell freezes over, the sun rises in the west, and TPTW finally admit they frakked up. I'm not holding my breath.

Or is that too much?
                              Yay for pimpage!

Nah, I don't think that's too much. Actually, some fic authors have done commentaries for their stories, like havocthecat's commentary on her story Ichneumonidae (opening fic of the Lantean Hive AU). I think other authors have done podcasts of reading their stories aloud. I can definitely see us doing stuff like that. Maybe even episodic soundtracks... any input from the music department?

Ahahahah!

Yes! I wish that we could've gotten Kanaan's take on the events of The Queen, we totally need him in on this one. I could see him being torn by wanting to go with her, which could bring up some bad memories of when he was one of Michael's hybrids. *shivers*

Definitely digging how we've got such a huge, strong presence for Teyla. Just because this is 'Sparky' Season 6 doesn't mean the other characters won't get some well-deserved time in the spotlight!

Comment

Erin 87 and Falcon, what are you handles on LJ? I want to credit you properly if you want to be credited through your LJ handles too.

The post is up--take a look and let me know if that works for everyone. I thought we might want to explain what we're doing.
                                Ooo, I like that post very much! *jumps up and down in excitement*
                                On LJ I'm lantis_kate. (I have no idea if you actually need the link or not, but I put it anyway.)
                                sigpic
                                Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Working...
                                X