Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I reckon that would be the case.

I had a thought but then I came across SK's post and I had another thought tying in with the first one.

In the first season of SG1 we learn that since the Abydos cartouche was drawn up the planets shifted so in order to create a wormhole between two gates, they had to take the stellar drift into account and recalibrate their control system in order to make up for it, but they still dialed the same address. Carter then theorized the gate-system automatically corrected itself, keeping in mind that the gatebuilders were a technologically advanced race capable of creating such a network.

And when Atlantis is adrift in season 4 they can't dial either, and I think I remember Rodney saying that they needed to recalibrate their position within the network (and to add a little power) in order to dial the gate.

But then here's where the addendum to my first thought comes in... I'm thinking that the Atlantis gate is fixed on the ship and thus not fixed to one planet. It's part of the big spaceship the city is in essence, thus it could be entirely possible for the Earth gate to dial Atlantis in the San Francisco bay. However, seeing as two gates cancel on another out depending on which has priority such an event would not be possible.

But that's just a theory.
    I can just imagine McKay tearing his hair out and screaming at the top of his lungs about testing that theory. LOL!
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      *high-fives Eri and passes around a tray of red velvet cupcakes for all*
      Cupcakes! *glomps* I've lost a grand total of 2 lbs this year. Virtual cupcakes are the only sweets I'm allowed until vacation. *cries*
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I had a thought but then I came across SK's post and I had another thought tying in with the first one.

In the first season of SG1 we learn that since the Abydos cartouche was drawn up the planets shifted so in order to create a wormhole between two gates, they had to take the stellar drift into account and recalibrate their control system in order to make up for it, but they still dialed the same address. Carter then theorized the gate-system automatically corrected itself, keeping in mind that the gatebuilders were a technologically advanced race capable of creating such a network.

And when Atlantis is adrift in season 4 they can't dial either, and I think I remember Rodney saying that they needed to recalibrate their position within the network (and add a little power) in order to dial the gate.

But then here's where the addendum to my first thought comes in... I'm thinking that the Atlantis gate is fixed on the ship and thus not fixed to one planet. It's part of the big spaceship the city is in essence, thus it could be entirely possible for the Earth gate to dial Atlantis in the San Francisco bay. However, seeing as how two gates cancel one another out depending on which has priority such an event would not be possible.

Okay...we'd have to think about this further. I know in the novel Casualties of War, there are 3 gates around one planet that ended up jumping one to the other. I'll have to go back and read how the author handled that. Though they can be sketchy in some ways, the Fandemonium authors do have to stick as much to canon as possible and get it approved.

*snickers*

Carrots? You do realize you're only tempting the plot bunnies to swarm you even more than they already are...
        I have a very efficient catch-and-release system for plot bunnies. They don't even smell the carrots. They're too fussed over the lettuce patch I planted around SR. And as you can see from her latest journal entry, it worked! *rubs hands in glee*
        Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Any chance of this happening if we do a season 7? or maybe something to look forward to in season 8?
          Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post
            Geez, first you guys redecorated (I'm not sure about this new look ), then you staged a coup (very cool), then the madness project began. Loving it. I need to catch up. Looks like I have quite a few pages of homework to read.

I had no idea about the auction until this morning. Somebody must be really strapped for cash. Who owns this stuff now? But honestly, it's all a drop in the bucket so I don't understand why they are selling. At any rate, it's sad. Do you think they'll put up the mint jar for auction? Because one of us needs to buy that. Or we could pool our money and it could travel around the world, visiting each of us, and we'll take pictures. You know, like the traveling gnome. LOL
            I had thought about the jar too! I've already pictured the scenario in my head where I get down on my hands and knees and beg my parents to buy it.
            I do like the traveling idea though. That'd be fun.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
            I was thinking that same thing about the mint jar. A Sparky has got to win it. David Hewlett said on his twitter that he was going to buy the iratus bug and send pics of it to Joe from all over the world. LOL He also said we should buy up everything, put it back together and start the show up again. We're way ahead of him. LOL

We're having a ton of fun. Come join us. We still need a location supervisor. *puppy eyes*
            ROTFL! Oh, that is so funny! Ah, David Hewlett you're the best. (even if you are a little behind on the grand scheme)

And a new subject. As if I don't have enough to do, I had a plot bunny. A big one. Here's the first installment at my LJ
            Very cool idea. I commented over there.

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
            Can I interrupt you for a sec, just to share squee? If some of you remeber kathpup on this thread, she got me this few weeks ago (note! Kath shared the bit about me getting married recently):

Spoiler:
            http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x130/anuna_81/S6301842.jpg

I don't have to say I cracked up like crazy over this, do I?
            LOL! Oh, that's priceless!

Originally posted by Probie View Post
            I'm depressed. We just discovered that my nephew is deaf to 40%. He will have surgery at the end of the month. He has 4 years. I'm jaded.
            Oh, sorry. Hope it goes well.

Didn't Carter try to dial out in "Solitudes" but she couldn't get a lock on the Earth gate, since they were already on Earth? So I'm guessing it's the same address.

Heh! Woolsey gets visitation rights with the dog!

A bar fight for Ronon? That sounds like fun! Bonus points if some of the SG-1 crew (like Teal'c and Mitchell) are in it too, and they all get dressed down in Landry's office afterward. *cracks up*

You betcha. She's got a job to do, she's damn good at it, and while she may be secretly pleased as punch about being in the midst of this fantastic world, she's not gonna let John or anyone else use her status as his ex to try to get anything out of her.

Mmm, lunch...

Sheppard woob is more powerful than the Force. LOL!

Goodness, yes! The gate bridge was such a crutch, and I cheered when the Midway Station got blown up. The gates are still out there in space, as far as I know, but I think without Midway, it's no longer usable.
            Yes it is!

*dies laughing* And of course, Ronon and Teal'c will be acting all innocent and going "who, me?"

Seriously. I can't wait to get Atlantis cut off and on its own again.

Meh, screw Hotmail. Get a Gmail account.
            Gmail rocks!

And I love this barfight idea.
            sigpic
            Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

I can just imagine McKay tearing his hair out and screaming at the top of his lungs about testing that theory. LOL!
              Poor Zelenka.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                Any chance of this happening if we do a season 7? or maybe something to look forward to in season 8?
                Possible, we're way away from that at the moment.

I would post a hyperlink to that, not the actual picture...

Comment

Spoiler:
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=24772
                  *points* Hey, that's my manip! *ducks back out again*
                  sigpic
                  Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Cupcakes! *glomps* I've lost a grand total of 2 lbs this year. Virtual cupcakes are the only sweets I'm allowed until vacation. *cries*
                    Awww...

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                    Okay...we'd have to think about this further. I know in the novel Casualties of War, there are 3 gates around one planet that ended up jumping one to the other. I'll have to go back and read how the author handled that. Though they can be sketchy in some ways, the Fandemonium authors do have to stick as much to canon as possible and get it approved.
                    I think it was two gates, wasn't it? One was on the planet surface, the other was part of an orbital space station, but the station fell/was shot out of orbit and crashed.

I have a very efficient catch-and-release system for plot bunnies. They don't even smell the carrots. They're too fussed over the lettuce patch I planted around SR. And as you can see from her latest journal entry, it worked! *rubs hands in glee*
                    *snickers* Oh, that's just so bad!

Poor Zelenka.
                    Seriously! Every other word out of Radek's mouth will probably be some new and inventive curse in Czech.

Spoiler:
                    Eh, probably not until the end of Season 7, at the earliest. And even that might be pushing it a bit. We like the slow burn.
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Awww...

I think it was two gates, wasn't it? One was on the planet surface, the other was part of an orbital space station, but the station fell/was shot out of orbit and crashed.

*snickers* Oh, that's just so bad!

Seriously! Every other word out of Radek's mouth will probably be some new and inventive curse in Czech.

Eh, probably not until the end of Season 7, at the earliest. And even that might be pushing it a bit. We like the slow burn.
                      I believe it was 3--the main gate they used for transport, the space gate John...

Spoiler:
                      ...originally thought Teyla and Ronon got sent through and the crashed gate on the other side of the planet's surface that they actually got sent through.

Comment

I believe it was 3--the main gate they used for transport, the space gate John...

Spoiler:
                        ...originally thought Teyla and Ronon got sent through and the crashed gate on the other side of the planet's surface that they actually got sent through.
                        Those last two
                        Spoiler:
                        are the same gate. At first everyone on Atlantis thought that the space gate was still up in orbit, but they later discovered that the section of the station containing the gate had crashed on the planet. Remember how Teyla and Ronon noticed that the gate they came through was sitting at a weird angle that didn't make any sense? It came to rest on the planet in that position after reentry.

Comment

Seriously. I can't wait to get Atlantis cut off and on its own again.
                          Atlantis was much more appealing when it was geographically (planetarily?) isolated from Earth. Also, Atlantis is already hi-tech enough as an Ancient city. Factoring in the human battleships and technology (other than basic weapons) was a little too much.

When watching SGA for the first time in the first season, I thought the somewhat odd combination of the high-tech Ancient devices and less developed humans (Athosians, etc) was intriguing. I always found the notion of a pretechnological world as romantic, but I also like sci-fi, so I liked the idea. I wished we could have seen some pretty cool civilizations that looked and sounded 'medieval' but were also outfitted with some sci-fi technology (other than 'The Game's' created worlds and the hokey psuedo-Shakespearean culture in 'The Tower').

Meh, screw Hotmail. Get a Gmail account.
                          I was actually considering Yahoo because of it's tie in with Flickr, which is something I wanted. But maybe I will.

You're not stupid. It just proves great minds think alike.
                          I guess we're all brilliant, here, then.

I do have to admit it takes me longer to recall certain details from the series like some of you do. Thinking about it now, it's been over a year since I last watched an episode of Stargate Atlantis -- the last episode I recall seeing was Vegas, which I watched twice shortly after EATG aired. I always thought that I spent more time discussing shows than actually watching them and I guess this once again proves it true.

Comment

Ah.
                            Spoiler:
                            Okay. I thought that one of the jumpers had gone to a space gate expecting to find their bodies floating in orbit (but of course they weren't found). I didn't realize the gate was no longer there. I knew for certain the gate they came out of was one that had fallen from space because of how it was broken and crashed on the ground when Teyla and Ronon came out of it. It's been a while since I read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                              Atlantis was much more appealing when it was geographically (planetarily?) isolated from Earth. Also, Atlantis is already hi-tech enough as an Ancient city. Factoring in the human battleships and technology (other than basic weapons) was a little too much.

When watching SGA for the first time in the first season, I thought the somewhat odd combination of the high-tech Ancient devices and less developed humans (Athosians, etc) was intriguing. I always found the notion of a pretechnological world as romantic, but I also like sci-fi, so I liked the idea.
                              I feel the same way. It was much more fun watching the team in Atlantis learning about how the city worked, making new discoveries... that was why they went to all that effort to find Atlantis and go there.

I wished we could have seen some pretty cool civilizations that looked and sounded 'medieval' but were also outfitted with some sci-fi technology (other than 'The Game's' created worlds and the hokey psuedo-Shakespearean culture in 'The Tower').
                              Something steampunkish could've been interesting.

I was actually considering Yahoo because of it's tie in with Flickr, which is something I wanted. But maybe I will.
                              Of course, Google does have their own thing with Picasa...

I guess we're all brilliant, here, then.

I do have to admit it takes me longer to recall certain details from the series like some of you do. Thinking about it now, it's been over a year since I last watched an episode of Stargate Atlantis -- the last episode I recall seeing was Vegas, which I watched twice shortly after EATG aired. I always thought that I spent more time discussing shows than actually watching them and I guess this once again proves it true.
                              The only episodes I've been watching recently have been from Seasons 1-3. Though even that hasn't been often. Like you, I've been content to talk about it (and write fanfic about it) more than watching it lately.

Ah.
                              Spoiler:
                              Okay. I thought that one of the jumpers had gone to a space gate expecting to find their bodies floating in orbit (but of course they weren't found). I didn't realize the gate was no longer there. I knew for certain the gate they came out of was one that had fallen from space because of how it was broken and crashed on the ground when Teyla and Ronon came out of it. It's been a while since I read it.
                              Heh, I'm surprised I remembered as much as I did, as it's been a while since I read it, too.

Comment

Darling, I'd love to have you jump out of my cake. If Joe isn't available.
                                Aw, I'm blushing

That's what I was thinking -- but I thought my plot might be a little too DaVinci Code. I never really bought the idea from the first episode that the Wraith had kept the humans technologically unadvanced (like the Athosians). And the Travelers proved just that! So I was thinking that the Brotherhood itself (or perhaps it is connected to a larger group) could get in an ongoing race with the Atlantis expedition to collect Ancient artifacts to complete something larger. I don't know. A secret weapon of sorts, perhaps -- except with a twist that the Lanteans don't know what exactly the final result is.
                                Luf it

I'll copy and past my own comments here into the comm. I had a whole big post over there yesterday which I accidently lost.

I'd say the Wraith would take advantage of Atlantis being gone and go for a blitz. I'm a little fuzzy on whether Pegasus can now contact Earth. I don't think they can but perhaps they can use the "twilight bark" idea to once again bounce a signal over to maybe the Daedalus. Someone can help with the facts here.

The coalition can then send a message begging for help. I can see John being all bitter after Inquisition and muttering about "now they want our help".

Midway was blown to smithereens in Midway. And as far as I recall not rebuilt.

Teyla is the queen of Todd's hive since The Queen. I think he might want her back. Hmm. One of you sciencey geniuses can figure out how she can be the Queen without having the surgery again.
                                Correct. It didn't help that neither Sam, Rodney or John didn't think to simply dial Earth straight from Atlantis to block the incoming wormhole. Woolsey arrived by ship, so at least at that point it hadn't been rebuilt

And when Atlantis is adrift in season 4 they can't dial either, and I think I remember Rodney saying that they needed to recalibrate their position within the network (and add a little power) in order to dial the gate.

But then here's where the addendum to my first thought comes in... I'm thinking that the Atlantis gate is fixed on the ship and thus not fixed to one planet. It's part of the big spaceship the city is in essence, thus it could be entirely possible for the Earth gate to dial Atlantis in the San Francisco bay. However, seeing as how two gates cancel one another out depending on which has priority such an event would not be possible.

Its plausible. Rodney said in Adrift that they couldn't dial out because he didn't know their position (in space), so he couldn't calibrate the gate. Presumable Zelenka is smarter than him and was able to figure this out whilst making the calculations for wormhole drive in EatG, allowing them to dial the super-hive from space
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X