Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Er, perhaps I was a little too subtle there, but I was actually teasing and mocking the over-the-top and gratuitous sex scenes from SGU in that part you were referring to.
    Indeed you were my dear. Now I gets it.

That's how I would've preferred to have seen it as well. But the writers, with the exception of Carl Binder, just don't know how to do it right.

Isn't it, though? And of course, having Elizabeth be the only one who goes to see John when he's going buggy in Conversion. Makes me wonder if Gero was a subconscious Sparky and trying to go with other ships to cover it up.
    Come out of the closet Marty G. You know you wanna.

It totally makes sense to me. It does need to be personal; that's why I see John's angst over losing Elizabeth and his vow to get her back in Lifeline as being more than just the military mindset of 'we don't leave our people behind,' it's also his own personal honor driving him to help the woman who's stuck up for him so many times in the past. Really, one doesn't even have to ship John and Elizabeth to see that.
    Yep, by that time it was all personal. There is just no way the strong friendship bond between them can be denied even if you hate the ship angle.

And I agree with you that the balcony scene in Rising isn't shippy, either. It's really more in the context of them trying to feel each other out as to where they stand on issues, what they believe in; perhaps it might be considered pre-ship on some level, I don't know.
    I'd go with pre-ship because it shows how they had strong emotions between them right from the start.

The icing, the candles, the ribbons and roses... yeah. *raises a glass to JoeF*
    *clinks glasses* And I'm embarrassed that we forgot his birthday on Tuesday. So a belated Happy 43rd Birthday to Joe.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      *clinks glasses* And I'm embarrassed that we forgot his birthday on Tuesday. So a belated Happy 43rd Birthday to Joe.
      And so was Paul McGillion's, and mine. I am in awesome company when it comes to January 5-people.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        And so was Paul McGillion's, and mine. I am in awesome company when it comes to January 5-people.
        Well Happy Belated birthday to you! And Joe and Paul. *clicks glasses*
        Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

I was watching Farscape and I can't stop compare this show with SGA.
          D'Argo=Ronon= warrior/muscles
          Zhaan=Teyla= spirituality
          Rygel=Rodney=arrogant and annoying
          John=John=hero
          Aeryn=Elizabeth? But Aeryn is a warrior. The only thing I can see in common is the fact she doesn't want to show emotions.

I miss SGA. So I do a transfer on Farscape. Pathetic.lol
          sigpic
          Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Come out of the closet Marty G. You know you wanna.
            Yeah, come on, Marty! Join the Red Side! LOL!

Oh frak, that's right! We're such bad fangirls!

Happy Belated Birthday to Joe, Paul, and Falcon Horus! *passes around some more champagne*
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

to Joe Flanigan, Paul McGillion, and Falcon Horus!

And on a different topic, I did make that wallpaper based on my fireworks ficlet.
              Spoiler:

Thank you again to SamStarEagle for the absolutely gorgeous pic of Atlantis!
              sigpic
              Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Jan 5 is a special day indeed. Belated best wishes.

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                John=John=hero
                Aeryn=Elizabeth? But Aeryn is a warrior. The only thing I can see in common is the fact she doesn't want to show emotions.

Your American dad and I have been saying the same thing as we rewatch it. Though you could make a case for Aeryn being Teyla but I don't want to. And then there would be no Elizabeth. LOL They even repeat some of the same plot ideas. And Ben Browder in RL seems a lot like John who seems a lot like Cam. But JF in RL is almost nothing like Sheppard.

Originally posted by Erin87 View Post

And on a different topic, I did make that wallpaper based on my fireworks ficlet.
                Spoiler:
                http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv132/Erin87_photos/Sparky/Fireworks2.jpg
                Beautiful work.
                sigpic

Comment

beautiful wallie erin!

happy birthday Joe, Paul and Falcon Horus!
                  My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Erin87 View Post

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...Fireworks2.jpg
                    Erin, that's a lovely wallpaper, and I am squeeing over the little poem that goes with it! Great job!

Your American dad and I have been saying the same thing as we rewatch it. Though you could make a case for Aeryn being Teyla but I don't want to. And then there would be no Elizabeth. LOL They even repeat some of the same plot ideas. And Ben Browder in RL seems a lot like John who seems a lot like Cam. But JF in RL is almost nothing like Sheppard.
                    Yeah, I don't think I'd want to, either. We can't have John without Elizabeth. After all, when they're together, they're like chocolate and peanut butter. LOL!
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Jan 5 is a special day indeed. Belated best wishes.

Beautiful work.
                      Originally posted by drewandian View Post
                      beautiful wallie erin!

happy birthday Joe, Paul and Falcon Horus!
                      Erin, that's a lovely wallpaper, and I am squeeing over the little poem that goes with it! Great job!
                      Thank you very much!
                      The poem's the one from the ficlet.

Yeah, I don't think I'd want to, either. We can't have John without Elizabeth. After all, when they're together, they're like chocolate and peanut butter. LOL!
                      Oh no, definitely not!
                      sigpic
                      Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                        This is just me personally, but to qualify as 'ship' for me, I have to see something 'personal' in the exchange.

That's why I got sold on Sparky, because so much of what J/E shared toed beyond the line of business into 'personal'. I wasn't trying to ship anyone when I started watching, but after a while all those balcony scenes and looks just kinda piled up. It was an easy ship to accept, and you know me--I'm pretty canon-happy.

There are definitely Sparky moments I don't consider shippy per se. The GUP one I do because they're having way too much fun when poor Rodney's stuck dying in a sinking jumper. They're almost flirting and their humor infects each other.

But...and I'll probably get reamed by this *puts up shields* I don't consider the balcony scene from Rising shippy. I consider it a good J/E moment, but not Sparky, if Sparky is the ship. It was about business. It was a good argument on John's part and a good one on Liz's. But there wasn't sexual tension beneath it, it was two different viewpoints trying to explain themselves and Elizabeth wins out by virtue of the fact she's the boss at that point. But no huffing and puffing and lingering looks. Nothing 'personal'. In fact, many scenes in Season 1 I don't consider 'shippy per se'.

Time also plays a factor, as well as what's been built upon in canon. I think The Eye plays a big part in why I took to Sparky more. You don't have an episode like that demonstrating John's desperation to that degree with many other characters. Perhaps Sateda for Ronon, or GUP or Doppelganger for McKay (I'd say more Doppelganger for McShep because John's more angsty there) and maybe The Ark for Teyla.

But those are all later episodes, whereas the The Eye takes front and center eight or nine episodes in. Whether you consider his reaction to what happened to her romantic or platonic it's still obvious that he cares about her a lot--especially considering he doesn't have the same fears or anger over what's happening to Rodney, who's still captive. Essentially TE establishes a personal connection between them which many scenes going forward have as a backdrop. And hence the arguments in THZ, for example, become more shippy because Elizabeth is angry he broke her trust, and he's angry because she won't let him protect her. Or his defending her in The Gift--with TE as a backdrop it looks a little like he's defending her from being attacked either professionally or personally.

Does any of that make sense? Maybe it does in my brain...
                        Why do I always miss great discussions? *grumbles*

Makes a lot of sense to me - and I have to agree, the first balcony argument in The Rising isn't shippy per se, but I think establishes their dynamics - they're equals, they treat each other in such way, or more precisely, Elizabeth treats John as her equal because she listens to him and gives his arguments a consideration, which is something his previous superiors didn't do. That, I think, makes all the difference, which is why Elizabeth is later able to influence him.

TE is a turning point. We can speculate and discuss what exactly went through John's head and why he reacted with that much panic, fear and intensity and whatever argument you present it's very hard to walk around the fact that John's actions indicated he took Elizabeth's capture very personally. He displays that sort of behavior later, for other expedition members, but I'd say never under the same circumstances - because this was the first time he did it, and also very early on, while interpersonal relationships between characters were still being established.

All that makes episodes like THZ and The Gift incredibly interesting, from shippy point of view.
                        I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Thanks for the definition.

For Pierre Bernard: There is a documentary in the last dvd (season 1) called "Behind the gate:....". Pierre talks to Torri and asks if her character is ready to fight for John's love. He adds "they are some looks between us" (especially looks give by John) or something like this (someone has to tell me if I'm wrong). Torri smiles and says there are some looks but she can't fight Teyla (except if she has to use horrible moves). At the end, she says Teyla and Elizabeth can be together but it's the wrong show.
                          Well, looking at that now, I have to wonder, in what world. Some looks became more looks... and well, the rest is history. Banto stick fighting looked fun - especially if Teyla did the big sis thing and kicked John's butt and he was whiny. Same thing was happening every time John and Ronon were sparring. It was fun and established brotherly/sisterly connection for the characters.

I wish we've seen Teyla and Elizabeth doing exercise, or yoga, or banto lessons - something!

Comment

John=John=hero

Switch John and Elizabeth - she is Chricton and John is Aeryn and then it fits

Comment

Don't do that. Don't break my happyness.lol

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                              Switch John and Elizabeth - she is Chricton and John is Aeryn and then it fits
                              Thanks Anuna. I like this explanation

Erin: Beautiful wallie
                              sigpic
                              Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks to SK for sparking heh the idea for this list.

John and Elizabeth together are like:

1. Chocolate and peanut butter
                                2. Wine and sunshine
                                3. Toast and jelly
                                4. Strawberries and whipped cream
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X