• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear thread I miss you too. I just have zero free time right now
    I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
      Yay! That makes me feel a bit better. I was worried.
      Heh! And it's ready to go!

Originally posted by Probie View Post
      A quick hello before to leave again.

I hope everything goes well for you. I miss this thread.

See you soon.
      *huggles* We miss you, too!

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
      Dear thread I miss you too. I just have zero free time right now
      Yep, I'm still kinda running around right now, too. Hopefully everything will be back to normal next week.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Hello beloved Sparkies!

I am so sorry I haven't been here lately. Here's why (OT):

Spoiler:
        Friday, December 18th, I came down with the crud. Started out as nasty flu (high temps, coughing, body aches from hell, extreme exhaustion). Then it turned into an equally nasty upper respiratory infection. I have just now been fever free for 24 hours. Going back to work tomorrow, but I am completely exhausted and I'm not looking forward to seeing my desk at work. It will take a miracle to get caught up as I was behind before I even got sick.

So, for the last 12 days I've had no GW, no LJ and no facebook. I'll have a lot of catching up to do online too.

12 days of being flat on my back sick. I have never been this sick before. Here's hoping 2010 is a lot healthier!

I still have my little Sparky Christmas ficlet to finish. It is almost done, but this illness knocked me on my butt. I'm sorry I didn't get it delivered by Christmas, but I promise to finish it as soon as my energy comes back.

I hope all of you had a very Merry Christmas. I'm wishing each of you a blessed and healthy 2010!
        sigpic
        Signature by Erin87

Comment

SMB yikes! Glad to hear you're feeling better!
          My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
          sigpic

Comment

Hello! Was visiting relatives, and managed to finally finish the Christmas fic I started. It's a little late, but hey...
            A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes
            Enjoy! Now I'm off to catch back up...
            sigpic
            Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
              oh yeah...really crazy adorable...lol...now if the 3 yo would just go to bed....*sigh*

and lol...only difference is that my guy has brown eyes...I'm talking up SGA in hopes of him deciding to be Shep next year for Halloween! LOL
              Oh, that would be the most awesome thing ever!

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
              Hello beloved Sparkies!

Spoiler:
              Friday, December 18th, I came down with the crud. Started out as nasty flu (high temps, coughing, body aches from hell, extreme exhaustion). Then it turned into an equally nasty upper respiratory infection. I have just now been fever free for 24 hours. Going back to work tomorrow, but I am completely exhausted and I'm not looking forward to seeing my desk at work. It will take a miracle to get caught up as I was behind before I even got sick.

So, for the last 12 days I've had no GW, no LJ and no facebook. I'll have a lot of catching up to do online too.

12 days of being flat on my back sick. I have never been this sick before. Here's hoping 2010 is a lot healthier!

I still have my little Sparky Christmas ficlet to finish. It is almost done, but this illness knocked me on my butt. I'm sorry I didn't get it delivered by Christmas, but I promise to finish it as soon as my energy comes back.

I hope all of you had a very Merry Christmas. I'm wishing each of you a blessed and healthy 2010!
              Eek! That sounds horrible. *sends sympathy* Good luck with all your catching up!
              sigpic
              Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Hello beloved Sparkies!

Spoiler:

Meep! *huggles you* I'm glad you're on your way to feeling better!

Originally posted by Erin87 View Post
                Hello! Was visiting relatives, and managed to finally finish the Christmas fic I started. It's a little late, but hey...
                A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes
                Enjoy! Now I'm off to catch back up...
                Oooh, another fic to add to the list I've got to catch up on! LOL!
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I DID IT! I DID IT! MY SPARKY SANTA IS COMPLETE!!!!

*runs around in circles*

Hello beloved Sparkies!

Spoiler:

Awww...I hope you feel better! I had the flu-flu once (as in, knocked-on-my-back-not-going-to-work-for-two-weeks-flu) and it was awful.

I hope you recover your strength and energy soon.

And I too hope 2010 will be a lot happier for us all.
                  Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Ah...so. My dear friends and compatriots, I have been sadly lacking in one area of discussion in the last few months. Extreme stress thanks to football season has made working on them nigh impossible, but the current holiday has given me just enough time, I think, to give you something that I have owed you for a while.

So, without further adieu, I present to you:

Lifeline

Like the other episodes of the First Strike trilogy, this episode for us a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it's the end of the regular appearances by Elizabeth, one-half of our OTP. On the other hand, the circumstances provide such good evidence for Sparky that without them we might not have been able to make so compelling an argument for why, at the end of Season 5, we feel our ship is pretty darn strong. And while I don't think any of us would have preferred things to have gone this way, it was a better ending than most of us anticipated.

One thing to point out before we get into full swing with the story--SGA has always had a nice background score, but if you get the chance, watch Lifeline and focus on the music. You'll notice that for this episode the score really pops. It's dramatic and astoundingly beautiful in some place.

No one can do a better Elizabeth story than Carl Binder, and at this point I think most of TPTW realized that, so they shoved Lifeline at him and said to have fun.

He did.

The story begins where Adrift left off--with Atlantis suffering from damage and power failures, adrift in space, losing life support and without enough energy to get to the closest habitable planet. Rodney has a solution, but one with a dangerous twist--with the city being close to Asuras, the Replicator homeworld, they can hyperdrive up a jumper, fly to the planet, and steal a ZPM. The only problem is, the Replicators will probably be able to detect them.

They need a trump card, and they just happen to have one. Heavily under guard in the infirmary sits a newly 'healed' Elizabeth Weir, who was resuscitated by McKay's re-activating the nanites in her brain. While this saved her life and healed her injuries from the First Strike attack, it has also rendered her a danger--the replicators might be able to seize control of her.

I think it's cute how Weir sort of shifts and tucks her gown below her as the group walks in.

However, that nanite-on-nanite ability is exactly what Rodney wants to use to give them an advantage over the Replicators on Asuras--if he can wirelessly connect Elizabeth to their collective, she can guide them to a ZPM and guide them out again.

There is one danger to the plan--if the Replicators detect her, she could be assimilated. While Rodney assures her this won't happen, Elizabeth and John share the first of a plethora of Sparky moments:

WEIR: What happens if the Replicators take control of the nanites inside me?
                    McKAY: Well, they won't. I would block any attempt ...
                    WEIR (interrupting): But if they do?
                    SHEPPARD: I ordered Rodney to write a kill-switch into the nanites' code. If we trigger the programme, it'll neutralise them.

Sparky #1: Notice how John doesn't mince words with Elizabeth. He knows what she wants, and he doesn't hesitate to answer her.

When Elizabeth realizes what the stakes are--that if the kill-switch is activated it will kill her too--the group attempts to soothe her. We get a neat bit of parallelism from Teyla. Do you remember Elizabeth's conversation with her in The Gift?

Weir: Look, Teyla, I would not even consider asking you to do this if I didn’t think it could potentially provide us with some vital information
                    Teyla: We would not ask this of you if it was not the only chance of this mission succeeding

Sparky #2: John also attempts to reassure Elizabeth, and remains behind as the others leave (or the others leave him alone with her ). She reiterates the use of the kill-switch if necessary; he emphasizes that there will be no need for it, but they silently agree on what the course of action will be should it be required.

I do like John's reassurance to her: "You're gonna be okay, Elizabeth". It's very personal and he says it to her in an intimate way.

John, surprisingly, orders Teyla to stay behind on Atlantis. While the point of this is contrived--I think Teyla's going with them posed a problem as to how to leave Elizabeth behind, since one more team member could have taken Rodney's place in the jumper and served as an effective guard with an ARG, Binder comes up with a good excuse on why they had to do it. John explains that if Atlantis has to be abandoned, the expedition members will be in the wild without leadership. She, who leads an 'outdoor' tribe, would be the best one left in charge.

Binder attempts some levity throughout Lifeline by having McKay snipe and gripe throughout the story, but the gravity of what's happening tends to render those scenes irritating more than funny. However, Ronon's "we're ready" moment is rather humorous, probably because of the looks Jason Momoa gives David Hewlett.

The next scene/Sparky Moment is one I like, but I do wish had been further addressed--which I'm more than certain they couldn't due to time constraints.

We've had a short time span since the attack that started this mess--maybe a day? Maybe a little more? In that time period, the expedition members left on Atlantis (remember most of them are on the Apollo) more than likely don't know what's happened to Elizabeth. So this scene, with John marching her, under guard, past some scientists is supposed to emphasize to us the danger she now poses. I think it's effective, but I wish we'd had more time to hear the expedition members and what they think. It has, after all, been three years in which she's been their leader, and we never really get to see how people react to all the events leading up to her being replaced.

Honestly, what do the expedition members think of all this? Unfortunately, we never really know.

But Sparky #3 is John's staying by her side through all of it. Love the determined look on his face. What is he thinking?

A few more tweaks by Rodney, and we're off to Asuras.

I suppose the next few scenes are supposed to give us a breather from the intensity of the storyline. I don't have much of an opinion on them. Yes, it was nice to have a breather, but how much of Sam and Dr. Lee do I really want to see? In any case, we know that the SGA is at least looking for Atlantis.

Coming up...We rip off The Matrix, Rodney makes a stupid call, Elizabeth demonstrates her strength as a leader, and we head towards an English Major type explanation of why he broke 'the rule'.
                    Last edited by Eri13; 30 December 2009, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Lifeline, Part II

Arriving at Asuras, the group automatically puts their plan into action. Though Elizabeth's 'connecting' with the Replicator Collective is very Matrix, I will admit that the idea--and the special effects--are very cool.

I think this is one of the few times John smiles in this episode.

Elizabeth guides them to a small outpost, and instructs them in what to do. I don't know whose idea it was to have John and Elizabeth go 'all-out' in the lingering stares department, but whoever it was, we thank you.

Sparky #4, though Ronon's trying to join in the fun.

With Elizabeth's instruction, they find the ZPM relatively quickly and are back in the jumper in no time flat.

John actually calls Ronon 'Chewie' in this scene.

And then, Rodney makes a suggestion.

Excuse me for a minute.

Spoiler:
                      *coughs*

!O#&*$@*WFUASDRY&!$@#AWOERJF O AHAS&* !@U$@Q#R& QW*%!@IOJ$RIJFJ@#$!JFSDKFHASD##@$$KLFJSDj FREAKIN' MCKAY!

*coughs*

McKay discovers that the Replicators original 'Wraith kill command' had been overridden--and he just happens to have found the code string that may allow them to reactivate it.

While I personally dislike the twist the story took--I think it would have been fine to have had getting the ZPM out be the fight Elizabeth took to Oberoth--this does give us a chance for another great Sparky moment.

John is intrigued with the idea of reactiving the code all the way until Rodney explains how he'd do it--by using Elizabeth again as a wireless connector, but this time downloading the program through her into the Collective. Once the download occurs, however, there are two problems: 1) McKay doesn't know how Elizabeth would be affected by it and 2) the Replicators would immediately sense her and attempt to assimilate her.

John's answer to that? Sparky moment #5:

SHEPPARD: Then we're not doing it.
                      WEIR: John, you know what this could mean. If the Replicators go to war with the Wraith ...
                      SHEPPARD: Forget about it. It's not happening.
                      WEIR: That's not your call.
                      SHEPPARD: The hell it isn't!

Look at the expression on his face. Angry much?

Yes, for us, it's officially squeeworthy. Any danger to Elizabeth that's within his control to avoid and John unequivocally puts his foot down--what's more, if you notice the subtle exchange at the end, he overrides her authority as Expedition head. Of course, they're on a 'mission' so this is considered a military situation, but in any case, she gets no voice here.

Of course, if John's life's endangered that's no big deal, which is why Sheppard bites on what McKay proposes next.

Rodney mentions that the same download can be done via tablet at the Replicator Collective's Core--a room nine stories down in the Central Tower. While this seems a stupid idea, Rodney and Elizabeth attempt to weakly convince us this is the only shot they will get using Elizabeth's connection as protection.

John agrees cuz he had to, it was in the script.

Sparky moments #6 through about #17 happen in these next few scenes. First, John orders Rodney to stay behind and guide them to the core room (this is where I think Teyla would have posed a problem. Ronon had to go with Sheppard in either case, but had Teyla been there, she could have stayed with Elizabeth and kept an ARG on her, while Rodney went with the guys. Once Elizabeth posed a 'problem' Rodney could have activated the kill switch remotely. Without Teyla, Rodney has to stay behind and we get the issue of time being a factor because John isn't as quick as Rodney with computers).

When Rodney raises issue with this, Elizabeth explains to him John's reasoning--that someone has to guard her and prepare the kill switch in case she gets assimilated. Which prompts one of the best 'looks' from John.

McKay takes the hint, and another little Sparky moment, as Elizabeth is treated to another smile from John as he plays off the danger they're about to get into. I like how Joe Flanigan constantly switches John's faces in Lifeline. With Elizabeth, he is hyper-sensitive to what this is doing to her and takes great pains to reassure her--and perhaps himself--that everything is going to be fine, no matter how grave the situation.

Another breather as the Apollo continues their unsuccessful search for Atlantis. Will they find them in time?

Coming up...The stare to top all stares, and we get close to that English Major type explanation...
                      Last edited by Eri13; 30 December 2009, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Lifeline, Part III

To protect Ronon and Sheppard, McKay has programmed the Jumper's cloak into an ARG shield (how this doesn't affect Elizabeth inside the Jumper is anyone's guess, but whatever).

We are prompted to another great Sparky moment here, as John turns to Elizabeth, and not Rodney, for reassurance:

WEIR: It's working.
                        McKAY: Damn right it's working! It's encompassed the Core Room. You're good to go.

(John turns in his seat and looks at Elizabeth. She nods to him.
                        Rodney looks at them indignantly.)

McKAY: What? You don't believe me, but you believe her?
                        SHEPPARD: No offense.
                        McKAY: Offense taken!

This scene also gives us one of the longest eye!sex stares in the history of SGA. Why they held it this long I don't know--even through the above dialogue, John's eyes don't leave Elizabeth. And he keeps staring after Rodney's walked off. Was this some director's (or perhaps Joe and Torri's) final homage to the Sheppard/Weir connection? Whatever the reason, it's epic.

Rodney explains the method--Plug n' Play. And the dumbing down of John Sheppard is complete.

In any case, another Sparky look, as Elizabeth leaves her seat to see them off.

John's comment to Elizabeth here is 'we'll be back before you know it.'

The attack has to be quick, for the Replicators are already on to them by the time they leave the Jumper. Elizabeth guides them seamlessly down to the Core Room--but, of course, something goes wrong. The Plug n' Play doesn't work...and we're delayed for time, which initiates the sequence of events that will lead to the alteration of Atlantis forever.

I don't know why the core had to be multicolored, but it makes a nice decoration.

The Replicators have started to figure out the ARG-cloak configuration, and are slowly pushing through it. By the time John manages to get the tablet working, it's too late--the Replicators have broken through, and the boys are trapped. It's then that Elizabeth makes a split second decision--she leaves the Jumper.

Rodney informs them of this, and John is faced with the same decision he essentially had to make in Adrift--let her live, and run the risk she's now a danger, or let her die and be assured of their protection. He has to give the order, but I think Carl Binder honors his version of John by having him hesitate and making Ronon prod him to order her execution:

SHEPPARD: Elizabeth. Respond.
                        DEX: If they capture her ...
                        SHEPPARD: I know. I know.
                        McKAY: So what do we do now?
                        DEX: She said hit the kill-switch on the nanites if she did anything suspicious.
                        McKAY: I know, but ...
                        DEX: Sheppard.

(John, his face equally full of dread, looks at him.)

DEX: Make the call.
                        SHEPPARD: Do it.

Woob...

I think we get a little of Ronon's respect for Weir here, too. He, like John, knows what she would want them to do, but he, unlike John, isn't as attached, so he becomes the voice of reason, arguing for the kill switch to be activated.

Luckily for us, the kill switch doesn't work. Elizabeth, as it turns out, is that rare human that can apparently exercise control over her own nanites, which means anything programmed to harm her can also be overridden. Which is exactly what is needed as she comes face-to-face with Oberoth.

She surprises everyone by seizing control of Oberoth himself and freezing the entire Collective in their tracks. The boys don't know, of course, that she's done this, they only know the Replicators have stopped--giving John the time he needs to finish the program download and get them the hell out of there.

Or does it? Elizabeth's strength proves faulty, and Oberoth soon breaks her control of him. Everyone is captured and Oberoth has won.

Or so he thinks...

The beginning of the end of the end of the end...put on your English Major thinking caps!

Comment

Lifeline, Part IV

Oberoth triumphantly marches into the cell, declaring his victory over the group and his intent to destroy Atlantis. But he's blowing smoke--as he attempts to mind probe John, he's treated to a nasty trick, or, rather, a clever twist.

Elizabeth only made him think he'd won. She tricked Oberoth and the entire collective into believing she'd been overcome, but truthfully, she was in control the whole time. The 'capture' of her team had been a 'hallucination' (if you can call it that with Replicators), giving John and Ronon almost enough time to get out of the city.

No, I'm NOT giving you the Jolizabeth picture here because I don't want to, it's creepy!

You have to admire Elizabeth's strength here. Binder has put front and center Weir's greatest strengths--her determination, her ability to lead, and most importantly, her mind.

OBEROTH: What?!
                          WEIR: I figured, you'd messed with our minds, so I'd mess with yours. You didn't overpower me, Oberoth. The Replicator guards didn't capture my team. It was all a fictional scenario played out in your mind. In reality, your guards are still frozen and my team is escaping as we speak. You were wrong, Oberoth. I have *never* underestimated you, but you have clearly underestimated me.
                          OBEROTH (angrily): You will not leave this city alive!
                          WEIR: Maybe not – but my team will.

John and Ronon are on their way up, looking frantically for Elizabeth. As her strength wanes, they stumble upon her confrontation with Oberoth, who breaks control just as they arrive.

And now...it's time to expound on this final moment. As the replicators unfreeze and seize Elizabeth (and we see that Ronon's ARG no longer works), she orders John to leave her behind and run. Sheppard's lifelong philosophy on Atlantis has been 'leave no man behind'.

But that's precisely what he does here (with a little prodding from Ronon). Why?

Click for the 'theory' on this dialogue:

SHEPPARD: Elizabeth.
                          WEIR: Get to the Jumper.
                          SHEPPARD: You're coming with us.
                          WEIR: I can't keep them frozen much longer!
                          SHEPPARD: We're *not* leaving you behind!
                          WEIR: If you don't leave right now, *none* of us will get out of here, so *go*.THAT'S AN ORDER!

(Her distraction breaks her concentration. Oberoth drops her hand and a blast from a Replicator weapon behind him heads towards Ronon. He ducks out of the way and turns to run, grabbing at John to get him moving.)

DEX: Come on!
                          SHEPPARD (anguished): Elizabeth!
                          WEIR: *Go!*
                          Spoiler:
                          English Major analysis--and remember this is devil's advocate. I'm not saying this is a strong argument or in any way defends the loss of Elizabeth!:

I think Binder was in a conundrum here. We all know that John would sacrifice everything to save his friends. Writing anything beyond that was out of character for him. Killing off Elizabeth wasn't an option. To do it you'd have to make it look convincing (any kind of 'faint' where she's not clearly dead is going to make Sheppard look cowardly for leaving her) and a convincing death would mean dead for good, which wouldn't work with the subsequent Weir reappearances--you want Atlantis to believe there's a possibility she's alive.

You also can't have them NOT see her, that's a weak ending.

So you do what you can by creating an ironic twist in the story. Here are things we know about John and Elizabeth:

* John generally does what Elizabeth asks of him. His respect for her is pretty much limitless. We saw this to the extremes in Adrift, when he elects not to save her because he knows that's not what she would want, and he was right.

* Elizabeth never really orders John to do anything. We saw the conflict between military and civilian raised in Hot Zone, and though it wasn't resolved, he sort of implies in Siege II that he's got her back. But following that she has always treated him as a co-head and not his boss, and though she initiates missions, etc, she has never really 'commanded' he do anything against his own wishes.

* John doesn't follow orders he thinks are wrong, even if they're from a superior and it will get him in trouble. It's how he got to Atlantis in the first place.

Give that this is the case, I think it's interesting Binder places the words "that's an ORDER!" in Elizabeth's mouth. He flat out states John's philosophy in the dialogue, and Elizabeth counteracts it by shouting something at him he hasn't given much credence to in his career--the order to retreat when someone is being left behind.

So what does John, the black sheep, do?

He follows it.

I think it's interesting. In essence, she's the ONE person he obeys, without question. He hesitates, but he obeys. His respect for Elizabeth and what she wants outweighs almost everything else for him. And this little move reconciles a major flaw in John Sheppard the soldier--the ability to follow orders.

By having Elizabeth make retreat a command, Binder essentially turns John into a 'perfect soldier' at least for a little while. Interesting too is that it's a civilian who makes the call. But it comes about because she's the one person John trusts more than himself. And while he's reluctant to do it, the decision he's faced with is as gut-wrenching as the Adrift decision and the earlier decision with the kill switch: Either 1) stay and fight for Elizabeth, endangering them all and the city--and go against what Elizabeth wants 2) leave her behind, save Atlantis, and do what she really, truly wants of him.

He chooses option 2 because he has to, of course, business being what it was. But at the same time, I think Binder does his best to find a way to salvage John's character in some regard, explain why this situation is different, and, as much as it shatters him, allow him to leave someone he cares about behind. Especially knowing what everyone is going to scream once John turns around and runs.

We may not like it, but it is an interesting POV to consider.

Ronon grabs at John, prompting his retreat. And Sheppard, for the first time in his Atlantis history, leaves someone behind voluntarily. Their final eyelock is our final 'two character' Sparky moment.

In business-like fashion John orders Rodney to fire up the jumper and get them away from Asuras--leaving Ronon to reveal Elizabeth's gone. I like John's actions here, he's sort of snap-snap-snap quick, as though he doesn't want to think about what's going on or what's just happened.

They are faced with a final danger--a Replicator ship appears before them. Even with Elizabeth's sacrifice, they're still trapped--until the Apollo and its perfectly scripted timing appears, saving them.

The bitter irony, of course, is that the Apollo found Atlantis first, which means, though the city is still failing without the ZPM, the people on board it would be safe--and Elizabeth didn't need to sacrifice herself.

And we start on our solo Sparky moments, courtesy John--his first inquiry is whether the Apollo can locate Elizabeth. Sam (with an interestingly sad expression directed at Ellis as she answers him) reveals that Elizabeth's transmitter is no longer working--implying she's dead or, more probably, completely under replicator control.

John's reaction is notably downhearted.

Coming up...saving the city, and Binder's tribute to the balcony moments we all love.
                          Last edited by Eri13; 30 December 2009, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Lifeline, Part V

We're not out of the woods yet. John and company return to the city, hook up the ZPM, and prepare to land the city on a planet that is close nearby--and one that Elizabeth is unaware of, given the danger she and all her knowledge of Atlantis now poses.

Interesting bit of dialogue here:

McKAY: Here's a good one. M35-117.
                            CARTER: Does Doctor Weir know about it?
                            McKAY: Well, it's not on our primary or our back-up list. I purposely searched for planets we'd never considered before. The, uh, the Replicators can probe her mind all they want – they won't find it.
                            SHEPPARD: Good ... (he grimaces) ... for us.

The final task is to land the city safely. John heads down to the chair, and we have a bit of humor as he attempts to 'kiss' the ocean like a leaf, which doesn't quite work.

*SAM FACEPLANT...LOL*

Despite the bumpy landing, John manages to get the city safely down and all is well as our First Strike trilogy comes to a close.

Except for one small thing.

Lifeline wraps up with a few scenes that, for an Elizabeth fan, are as gratifying as they can be given the circumstances.

The first is Teyla packing up Elizabeth's office. A sweet scene, where she mourns her friend, as does Ronon, who also offers her some comfort. Ronon is particularly good at this kind of stuff.

The second scene is the revelation that all that they did for that little program download has worked--the Replicators have moved off to attack the Wraith and Elizabeth's sacrifice wasn't wasted. Atlantis celebrates the triumph for a little while--it's too bad that things go horribly wrong a few months later.

The third and final scene is a balcony scene. Appropriate that Binder wraps up with this, as this was Elizabeth's balcony, and she was most often joined on it by John. Now he stands alone on it when the scene opens.

He's not left alone for long. Sam comes out and joins him, making a little small talk until the subject of losing Elizabeth comes up. Thankfully, Binder gives us a little glimmer of hope and a lot of Sparky goodness with his final line:

We get some nice fake smiles here.

CARTER: It was nothing compared to the risk that you and your team took. Frankly, I'm amazed that you were able to pull it off.
                            SHEPPARD: We had a lot of help.
                            CARTER (softly): Yeah. General Landry sends his condolences. He was deeply saddened to hear about Doctor Weir. We all were.
                            SHEPPARD: We haven't given up hope. If there's a chance she's still alive, I'll find her.
                            CARTER: I know.
                            As someone who's been around the block with losing people she cares about, saving people against all odds, etc, I like that Sam supports him here. And to me, she seems to know how he's feeling here and maybe even wants to believe that he can do it. Whatever the case, it's obvious Sam understands quite clearly the depth of connection and the bond between Weir and Sheppard. This won't be the last time we hear her voice something about it.

We're left with John's mourning Elizabeth, but hopeful, too, which is the appropriate way to go--though it's bittersweet, as we have to say goodbye to the Atlantis family we've loved for three years.

Do I like Lifeline? In general, no. How could I? It bid farewell to the regular run of my favorite character.

As an episode in principle, though, it's a good one. It's dramatic, well filmed, and exciting. And truthfully, it gives us some great Sparky moments that, though angst-filled, really buoy our ship for the long haul. The script could have been strengthened a little, I think--too many versions of McKay's 'this could go wrong' but overall, in premise, it works. I just wish it had ended differently.

And so, after many busy, busy months, on this angsty Wednesday, what are your thoughts on Lifeline? Share!

Questions will probably come later today as I'll be celebrating New Years tomorrow!

Comment

Can I just not watch Lifeline and pretend it never happens!? *sniff*

Who am I kidding...I'm addicted to the Sparky angst...
                              My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                              sigpic

Comment

This year was horrible. Last bad thing for this year: My car is dead.
                                New project for 2010: find a new car. I'm so happy....*irony*
                                I hope 2010 will be a good year!

Eri:Love your analysis on this episode. I didn't see all those Sparky moments. I think I will watch it tonight and keep your review in my mind. I really love Joe in this episode and David did a great job during the scene where Ronon gives the bad news about Elizabeth. In general, I like this episode. I'm a fan of ansgt story. It's the rest of the season that I don't like. Writers acted like nothing happened. I don't want to see all the characters crying in each episodes of course.

Now I "cry" alone because of my stupid car...lol

Forgot to say: Hi everybody!!!
                                sigpic
                                Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                                X