Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
    I play piano, saxophone (tenor and alto mostly), a little clarinet, flute, piccolo, violin and am teaching myself electric bass. I'm in my church's hand bell choir and served in the PA Army National Guard band for 8 years. I'm most passionate about singing and would love nothing more than to front a band like Evanescence....
    Hubby plays saxophone (alto, tenor and bari), contra/baritone and tuba
    We met in our college concert band - we were stand partners (SOOO cheesy )
    I used to lock myself in the practice rooms in college too...all the time when I was stressed out. I'd play piano for hours (and then toward the end started teaching myself flute)

Pandora is a genome project, so you give them an artist or song and they create a 'station' based on songs similar to the information you gave them....i think it explains it on the site....
    You have my admiration. I play flute and I just start guitar.
    sigpic
    Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
      *pops in*

*hears mention of Journey*

I love them to pieces...to PIECES!

*pops out*

Oh and drew I'm reading the story now
      I adore Journey..."Don't Stop Believin'" is one of the songs I sing at Karaoke!

yay! can't wait to hear what you think!
      My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
        I want to learn guitar...just need to get my hands on one....

I love to perform...I love having that means to express myself...I think it has something to do with my grandfather singing Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin tunes ALL THE TIME when I was a kid

And believe it or not...I didn't major in music in college....
        My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
        sigpic

Comment

My playlist is various too. You can find rock (Led Zep, Depeche Mode, My chemical Romance Eri ..), French songs (Anais, Gainsbourg,..), Spanish songs, Portuguese songs, Pop (Lady Gaga, Bat of Lashes,...), some classic songs, R&N (Timbaland,...), soul (Al Green,...).
          The only things that I can't really like are (Rap even if I love some Snoop Dog's songs) and the french singer Mylène Farmer (I can't stand her lol).

It depends on my mood.
          My Chemical Romance has some fascinating songs. I think you can sum up the entire meaning of the show Supernatural in the song "Welcome to the Black Parade."

Love foreign singers as well. What's funny, though? Charlotte Gainsbourg I know more as an actress because she starred in Jane Eyre with William Hurt.

I play piano, saxophone (tenor and alto mostly), a little clarinet, flute, piccolo, violin and am teaching myself electric bass. I'm in my church's hand bell choir and served in the PA Army National Guard band for 8 years. I'm most passionate about singing and would love nothing more than to front a band like Evanescence....
          Hubby plays saxophone (alto, tenor and bari), contra/baritone and tuba
          We met in our college concert band - we were stand partners (SOOO cheesy )
          I used to lock myself in the practice rooms in college too...all the time when I was stressed out. I'd play piano for hours (and then toward the end started teaching myself flute)

Pandora is a genome project, so you give them an artist or song and they create a 'station' based on songs similar to the information you gave them....i think it explains it on the site....
          Wow! Wish I knew all those! I know singing...classical and church (and of course in my car to rock stuff). Minor Piano, and gosh darn it all if I'm not going to learn guitar someday!!!

I think Sourcetone is the same--you pick your 'mood' on the 'mood wheel' and it plays songs that supposedly fit that mood. You can then select stuff that you like and mark the album, artist or song as a favorite (which means it'll play more often) or you can ban it in the same way (and it'll never play again). You can't pick the songs they'll play, but they're pretty good about putting the proper songs in the mood categories. I like it because it introduces you to music you may never have heard of before. That's where I first heard Lara Fabian.
          Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

I adore Journey..."Don't Stop Believin'" is one of the songs I sing at Karaoke!

yay! can't wait to hear what you think!
            Me too! One of my friends got me into Journey a few years ago, one of my favorite songs is 'If he should break your heart' What's ironic is the same guy that got me into them, and who I thought would always be there for me... wasn't. So every time I hear them I get all emotional

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
            Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
            Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
              My Chemical Romance has some fascinating songs. I think you can sum up the entire meaning of the show Supernatural in the song "Welcome to the Black Parade."

Love foreign singers as well. What's funny, though? Charlotte Gainsbourg I know more as an actress because she starred in Jane Eyre with William Hurt.

Wow! Wish I knew all those! I know singing...classical and church (and of course in my car to rock stuff). Minor Piano, and gosh darn it all if I'm not going to learn guitar someday!!!

I think Sourcetone is the same--you pick your 'mood' on the 'mood wheel' and it plays songs that supposedly fit that mood. You can then select stuff that you like and mark the album, artist or song as a favorite (which means it'll play more often) or you can ban it in the same way (and it'll never play again). You can't pick the songs they'll play, but they're pretty good about putting the proper songs in the mood categories. I like it because it introduces you to music you may never have heard of before. That's where I first heard Lara Fabian.
              You can like and dislike music on Pandora too...and I've found lots of new artists too...I'm going to have to check out Sourcetone (Pandora gives you 40 hours of music free each month...and I use it a lot because I can use it on my phone too....)

Me too! One of my friends got me into Journey a few years ago, one of my favorite songs is 'If he should break your heart' What's ironic is the same guy that got me into them, and who I thought would always be there for me... wasn't. So every time I hear them I get all emotional

*hugs* *kicks stupid boy*
              sigpic

Comment

Drew

EEEEEEEEPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!! Loved that fic!!! I'll be sending you back an email in a second, and since I have it as a Word document it's totally going on my phone

Comment

I can play the radio. And I sing like a bird in the shower and when I'm listening to my iPod and nobody is around.

So I hate to break up the mood but I just made myself cry and I hate to do it alone so. I have an angsty song fic. First you have to listen to this song.

Then the fic: I changed a few of the lyrics and I need you to let me know if I was too subtle and if you got the meaning.

Spoiler:
                  Deep in December

Author's note: This is written with my most humble apologies to Joan Baez for the inexcusable mutilation of her song. “Outside the Nashville City Limits” is one of the most beautiful songs ever written and has long been a favorite of mine. But I saw the Sparky in it and just had to write it.

Outside the Nashville city limits
                  a friend and I did drive,
                  on a day in early winter
                  I was glad to be alive.
                  We went to see a friend of his
                  who lived upon a farm
                  near strange and gentle country folk
                  who would wish nobody harm.
                  Fresh-cut sixty acres,
                  eight cows in the barn.
                  But the thing that I remember
                  on that cold day in December
                  was that my eyes they did brim over
                  as we talked.

In the slowest drawl I had ever heard
                  the man said “Come with me
                  if y'all wanna see the prettiest place
                  in all of Tennessee.”
                  He poured us each a glass of wine
                  and a-walking we did go,
                  along fallen leaves and crackling ice
                  where a tiny brook did flow.
                  He knew every inch of the land
                  and Lord he loved it so.
                  was that my eyes were brimming over
                  as we walked.

He set me down upon a stone
                  beside a running spring.
                  He talked in a voice so soft and clear
                  like the waters I heard sing.
                  He said,”We searched quite a time
                  for a place to call our own.
                  There was just me and 'Lizabeth
                  and we soon knew we were home.”
                  I looked at the ground and wondered
                  how many years they each had roamed.
                  And Lord I do remember
                  on that day in late December
                  how my eyes kept brimming over
                  as we talked.
                  As we walked.

And standing there with outstretched arms
                  he said to me “You know,
                  I can't wait till the heavy storms
                  cover the ground with snow,
                  and there on the pond the watercress
                  is all that won't turn white.
                  When the sun is high you squint your eyes
                  and look at the hills so bright.”
                  And nodding his head my friend said,
                  “And it seems like overnight
                  that the leaves come out so tender
                  at the turning of the winter...”
                  I thought the skies they would brim over
                  as we talked.

Doctor Sharon Bennett squinted at the heavy clouds and refocused her attention on the craggy face of the man beside her. She had been driven from the Nashville airport by the Air Force Major who had accompanied her on the trip to meet the man she had never expected to actually speak to in person. Colonel John Sheppard, Ret., legend at Stargate Command and savior of the Earth several times over had made himself available to meet the new commander of the ancient city of Atlantis and she was glad she had chosen to make the trip to Tennessee. Expecting to be briefed on alien races and Pegasus protocol, Dr. Bennett had arrived at the comfortable farmhouse with a briefcase full of notes and lists of questions. Ignoring all that, Sheppard had given her a pair of well worn boots to change into and handed her a quilted barn coat. Major Hernandez hid a smirk, settled himself on the porch with a large black dog, took a sip from the glass of wine that the Colonel had handed him and picked up a discarded newspaper.

As they walked the property and the Colonel pointed out various fields and barns and talked about the land, Sharon had studied him, finding the man beneath the legend. His once black hair was now nearly white but managed to stand up in the same unruly fashion it always had. His back wasn't quite as straight and his steps were a bit more hesitant and less graceful but the essence of the lithe hero was still there. The handsome face was still recognizable even beneath the lines and in spite of the softer jawline. But it was the eyes that made Sharon's throat tighten and tears threaten to spill over. They were sad beyond all imagining, filled with the unimaginable horrors and loss that he had endured all those many years ago. Having read most of the Atlantis mission reports from the time when the Colonel had been military commander, Dr. Bennett knew just what he and his team had endured. Now though she sensed that the sadness was of a different sort.

“Elizabeth loved it here,” he was saying. “Once we found this place we knew the search was over.”

Sharon turned in the direction John was pointing. “In the Spring this whole hill blooms with daffodils,” he said with a slight chuckle. “She planted every one of them and took it personally every time a squirrel dug one up. I told her to forget the squirrels she couldn't win against them but Elizabeth was never one to give up a fight.”

Pointing out that she had heard the same thing about him, Sharon took a moment to study the Colonel as he replied.

“No, I guess you're right about that. But I think my fighting days are finally over. Unless you've come here to lure me back to the Pegasus Galaxy.”

The teasing look he directed her way made Dr. Bennett grin in spite of herself. Ah, the famous John Sheppard charm. Suddenly she understood why this man had been able to defy the odds and keep two galaxies from collapsing for so long.

The borrowed boots were a little tight in the toes but Sharon was glad for them as they picked their way across an almost frozen brook and came to the top of a small hill. Settling themselves on a couple of large rocks, they gazed across the meadow. A slight hitch in her breathing told Sheppard she had seen the small family of deer standing in the edge of the woods beyond.

“Must be lunchtime,” Sheppard said softly as the mother and her two youngsters turned and disappeared into the trees. “Somehow they survive every winter. I always thought about doing some hunting but well, Elizabeth wouldn't hear of it. And now the idea of venison just doesn't appeal as much.”

Sharon surreptitiously swiped at a tear that was threatening to escape and asked the Colonel about the winters.

“Not too severe usually but actually I kinda like it when the snow covers everything. It makes you think the world is just a little perfect and then when spring comes you realize it was worth the wait.” Sheppard looked a little embarrassed that she had caught him being so poetic and tipped up his glass to finish the last of the wine. “Come on Doc.” He stood and reached out a hand to help her up. “Let's go on back and talk about the stuff you really came here to ask me.”

Sharon took the offered hand and let him be the gentleman even though she felt at times she was the one who should be offering her arm. The cold must be causing him a good deal of discomfort but she sensed that he would never admit it.

“You know,” Sheppard turned and stretched out his arms to take in the landscape before them, “it won't seem long before the leaves all come out again and Spring will be here. Elizabeth loved the Spring. It was always the time when it seemed like anything was possible.” The old man nodded affirmatively and started slowly back down the hill. “Yep, it won't be long until it's warm again and the daffodils bloom.”

With a lingering look up at the threatening clouds, Sharon followed the Colonel as their boots crunched over the ground under which the bulbs waited patiently for the coming thaw.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Drew

EEEEEEEEPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!! Loved that fic!!! I'll be sending you back an email in a second, and since I have it as a Word document it's totally going on my phone
                    thanks! i know it's pure fluff...but it was fun to write! it's a little overwhelming to me that you're going to put it on your phone!
                    sigpic

Comment

thanks! i know it's pure fluff...but it was fun to write! it's a little overwhelming to me that you're going to put it on your phone!
                      I just sent you an email back hehe *squishey hugs drew and fic at the same time*

*happy sighs*

Aww man SR that was so good

You know I can so see being older and saying something like "I let the only woman I ever loved slip right through my fingers"...and then just to make it more interesting he goes back in time somehow and talks to younger John and tells him not to waste time

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                        I can play the radio. And I sing like a bird in the shower and when I'm listening to my iPod and nobody is around.

So I hate to break up the mood but I just made myself cry and I hate to do it alone so. I have an angsty song fic. First you have to listen to this song.

Then the fic: I changed a few of the lyrics and I need you to let me know if I was too subtle and if you got the meaning.

Spoiler:
                        Deep in December

Author's note: This is written with my most humble apologies to Joan Baez for the inexcusable mutilation of her song. “Outside the Nashville City Limits” is one of the most beautiful songs ever written and has long been a favorite of mine. But I saw the Sparky in it and just had to write it.

on a day in early winter
                        I was glad to be alive.
                        who lived upon a farm
                        Fresh-cut sixty acres,
                        eight cows in the barn.
                        as we talked.

in all of Tennessee.”
                        and a-walking we did go,
                        and Lord he loved it so.
                        as we walked.

beside a running spring.
                        And Lord I do remember
                        as we talked.
                        As we walked.

he said to me “You know,
                        as we talked.

Doctor Sharon Bennett squinted at the heavy clouds and refocused her attention on the craggy face of the man beside her. She had been driven from the Nashville airport by the Air Force Major who had accompanied her on the trip to meet the man she had never expected to actually speak to in person. Colonel John Sheppard, Ret., legend at Stargate Command and savior of the Earth several times over had made himself available to meet the new commander of the ancient city of Atlantis and she was glad she had chosen to make the trip to Tennessee. Expecting to be briefed on alien races and Pegasus protocol, Dr. Bennett had arrived at the comfortable farmhouse with a briefcase full of notes and lists of questions. Ignoring all that, Sheppard had given her a pair of well worn boots to change into and handed her a quilted barn coat. Major Hernandez hid a smirk, settled himself on the porch with a large black dog, took a sip from the glass of wine that the Colonel had handed him and picked up a discarded newspaper.

As they walked the property and the Colonel pointed out various fields and barns and talked about the land, Sharon had studied him, finding the man beneath the legend. His once black hair was now nearly white but managed to stand up in the same unruly fashion it always had. His back wasn't quite as straight and his steps were a bit more hesitant and less graceful but the essence of the lithe hero was still there. The handsome face was still recognizable even beneath the lines and in spite of the softer jawline. But it was the eyes that made Sharon's throat tighten and tears threaten to spill over. They were sad beyond all imagining, filled with the unimaginable horrors and loss that he had endured all those many years ago. Having read most of the Atlantis mission reports from the time when the Colonel had been military commander, Dr. Bennett knew just what he and his team had endured. Now though she sensed that the sadness was of a different sort.

“Elizabeth loved it here,” he was saying. “Once we found this place we knew the search was over.”

Sharon turned in the direction John was pointing. “In the Spring this whole hill blooms with daffodils,” he said with a slight chuckle. “She planted every one of them and took it personally every time a squirrel dug one up. I told her to forget the squirrels she couldn't win against them but Elizabeth was never one to give up a fight.”

Pointing out that she had heard the same thing about him, Sharon took a moment to study the Colonel as he replied.

“No, I guess you're right about that. But I think my fighting days are finally over. Unless you've come here to lure me back to the Pegasus Galaxy.”

The teasing look he directed her way made Dr. Bennett grin in spite of herself. Ah, the famous John Sheppard charm. Suddenly she understood why this man had been able to defy the odds and keep two galaxies from collapsing for so long.

The borrowed boots were a little tight in the toes but Sharon was glad for them as they picked their way across an almost frozen brook and came to the top of a small hill. Settling themselves on a couple of large rocks, they gazed across the meadow. A slight hitch in her breathing told Sheppard she had seen the small family of deer standing in the edge of the woods beyond.

“Must be lunchtime,” Sheppard said softly as the mother and her two youngsters turned and disappeared into the trees. “Somehow they survive every winter. I always thought about doing some hunting but well, Elizabeth wouldn't hear of it. And now the idea of venison just doesn't appeal as much.”

Sharon surreptitiously swiped at a tear that was threatening to escape and asked the Colonel about the winters.

“Not too severe usually but actually I kinda like it when the snow covers everything. It makes you think the world is just a little perfect and then when spring comes you realize it was worth the wait.” Sheppard looked a little embarrassed that she had caught him being so poetic and tipped up his glass to finish the last of the wine. “Come on Doc.” He stood and reached out a hand to help her up. “Let's go on back and talk about the stuff you really came here to ask me.”

Sharon took the offered hand and let him be the gentleman even though she felt at times she was the one who should be offering her arm. The cold must be causing him a good deal of discomfort but she sensed that he would never admit it.

“You know,” Sheppard turned and stretched out his arms to take in the landscape before them, “it won't seem long before the leaves all come out again and Spring will be here. Elizabeth loved the Spring. It was always the time when it seemed like anything was possible.” The old man nodded affirmatively and started slowly back down the hill. “Yep, it won't be long until it's warm again and the daffodils bloom.”

With a lingering look up at the threatening clouds, Sharon followed the Colonel as their boots crunched over the ground under which the bulbs waited patiently for the coming thaw.
                        *sniff* *blinks away tears* beautiful....and so sad...
                        sigpic

Comment

I just sent you an email back hehe *squishey hugs drew and fic at the same time*

*happy sighs*

Aww man SR that was so good

You know I can so see being older and saying something like "I let the only woman I ever loved slip right through my fingers"...and then just to make it more interesting he goes back in time somehow and talks to younger John and tells him not to waste time
                          I emailed you back...*hugs*
                          I am going to go switch computers so I can post it...I'll put the link here once it's up!
                          sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! It's another Angsty Drama Wednesday!

Speaking of angst... SR, you'll be pleased to know that I killed a bunch of tissues reading that fic you just posted!
                            Spoiler:
                            Oh, poor, poor John, to be all alone! But he and Elizabeth got to be together for a while, so I am content in my tears.

Originally posted by pkprd869 View Post
                            SK Here, have some sparky scotch
                            *sips* What? It's 5pm somewhere!

Originally posted by pkprd869 View Post
                            Somebody asked what music Lizzie liked, I can think of three scenarios:
                            1.) Lizzie likes "girly" music from her generation. (I think Lizzie was supposed to be mid-thirties.)
                            2.) Lizzie like showtunes and is a "Time Warp" national champoin
                            3.) Lizzie picks up her Fender Strat and can play every song by: AC/DC, Led Zepplin, Van Halen, Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, Ted Nugent, ZZ Top, Joan Jett, and Eric Clapton.
                            You forgot one...

4.) Lizzie likes classical music. Boring, perhaps, but it fits in with the 'literary quoting/PH.D holding/artifact collecting/non-sports liking' part of her persona.
                            I'd also add 'world music' to resonate with that part of her character. She's probably got everything from Indonesian gamelan to Irish folk songs.

You're like me. My iTunes is a horrible mess of everything. Metallic sitting next to Mussorgsky sitting next to My Chemical Romance. And Melissa auf du Mar, Matisyahu, Mazzy Star and Miko inbetween.
                            *cracks up* Sounds like me, too! And add to that a mess of film and TV soundtracks (leaning heavily towards science fiction, Japanese anime, and horror).

Apparently we need to have an Enya fic writing contest.
                            Hmm, Lizzie's probably got Enya in her CD collection too.
                            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post

Spoiler:
                              Deep in December

on a day in early winter
                              I was glad to be alive.
                              who lived upon a farm
                              Fresh-cut sixty acres,
                              eight cows in the barn.
                              as we talked.

in all of Tennessee.”
                              and a-walking we did go,
                              and Lord he loved it so.
                              as we walked.

beside a running spring.
                              And Lord I do remember
                              as we talked.
                              As we walked.

he said to me “You know,
                              as we talked.

That was absolutely beautiful and quite tear inducing. *sniffles*

You guys have convinced me to write the song fic floating around in my head.
                              Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                                Good morning, Sparkies! It's another Angsty Drama Wednesday!

Speaking of angst... SR, you'll be pleased to know that I killed a bunch of tissues reading that fic you just posted!
                                Spoiler:
                                Oh, poor, poor John, to be all alone! But he and Elizabeth got to be together for a while, so I am content in my tears.

*sips* What? It's 5pm somewhere!

I'd also add 'world music' to resonate with that part of her character. She's probably got everything from Indonesian gamelan to Irish folk songs.

*cracks up* Sounds like me, too! And add to that a mess of film and TV soundtracks (leaning heavily towards science fiction, Japanese anime, and horror).

Hmm, Lizzie's probably got Enya in her CD collection too.
                                I just got an imagine of her, pint of Guiness in hand, drinking all those great Irish drinking songs (I have a friend here who was raised in Ireland...)....
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X