Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Strike, Part V

John is up, and it's time to do what everyone thought was once impossible--fly Atlantis.

Everything is set into motion, and the city emerges from the water as the asteroid flies in front of the beam.

But, as so often happens, there's a problem--the Star Drive doesn't have enough power getting to it. With the city at stake, Elizabeth makes a final call--lower the shield completely, boosting the energy to the drive until they hit the top of the atmosphere. Once there, the Star Drive will have already engaged, and they can raise the shield and boost into hyperspace.

As the city takes off, the expedition members watch in amazement as it rises from the sea. I'll take this moment to point out that the special effects in First strike have been jaw-droppingly brilliant all the way around, from the first launch of the Horizon attack on Asuras to beam effect, to this. But none is, perhaps, as remarkable as the next scene.

As the city rises from the sea, the replicator beam breaks through the asteroid, and fires down towards the rising Atlantis. Though McKay has already raised the shield, the unfortunate manner in which it raises--like an eye closing--leaves the Central Tower unprotected for a few brief seconds. The beam bursts down alongside it, shattering the famous balcony windows in a massive explosion.

Elizabeth, whose curiosity had lured her to the landing to watch the city fly, is caught right next to the most powerful part of the beam, and she's thrown back off the landing, crashing into the middle of the gateroom a good twenty feet below. Ronon, next closest to her, is assaulted with a hail of glass from the broken window, and debris strikes everyone else in the control room.

Commentary tells us that initially, they wanted Elizabeth to be on the balcony for the explosion, having her fly back through the window and to the gateroom floor. Logistically, however, it was next to impossible to accomplish. Though this is heartbreaking enough, I have to admit that might have been quite cool to see, and wish they'd found a way to do it.

As Atlantis makes it safely (or so they think) into hyperspace, John rises from the Control Chair cheerily, to the frightening sounds of screams and shouts coming from the Control Room. He hurries up, knowing something is desperately wrong.

Our final Sparky moment is John's reacton on seeing Keller lift a seriously injured Elizabeth onto a Gurney. Joe tends to play moments like these with a muted quality, in a quiet voice and asking questions with an air of innocence belying fear to his tone.

Also of note is Keller living to up to what Elizabeth expected of her. She'd doing her job, and at the moment, she's doing it well.

SHEPPARD: Keller, what happened?
    KELLER: Apparently the beam grazed the tower and blew out the ...Adams, that guy just has a cut. Tell him to put pressure on it and move on. There's a lot of people worse off upstairs.
    SHEPPARD: Elizabeth? Is she gonna be OK?
    KELLER: I don't know yet. She took quite a fall and her pupils are sluggish. I'm gonna have to get her under a scanner. I'll know more in a bit.

Woobie face part I...

John also finds Ronon seriously injured and McKay in a state of panic. The city has suddenly dropped out of hyperspace, nowhere near any planets that can be of any kind of use. With the beam having damaged a number of primary systems, the city is now helplessly Adrift. And with limited resources and a severly injured leader, it appears that they are in serious trouble.

Overall, First Strike is a well-written episode with slam bang special effects. While at times it feels a little disjointed--perhaps too much going on--and not enough character connectivity (Ronon and Teyla felt a little useless here, for example) it was a great premise with a harrowing conclusion.

I almost think the story may have been improved had it been a two parter--yes, there probably wouldn't have been enough material without feeling like there was a ton of filler going around, but this story almost feels sandwiched, and clever scenes like John's Fantastic Four reference feel a little like a waste of time.

But as a set-up for the changes to come, First Strike works. I enjoyed the terse feel of the initial part of the episode and cleverness everybody eschews as they try to figure out how to solve the problem of the beam. I also like that it's a multi-layered solution that almost--almost works.

On a personal note, I just wish the ending was different.

What were your thoughts? Questions will come tomorrow--and be prepared, because we're going to dive into Adrift not too soon after.
    Last edited by Eri13; 01 September 2009, 12:18 PM.
    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Originally posted by emerald_day View Post
      *emerald_day drops in* hey everybody how have you all been I hope all is well. I´m in my school waiting for my next class, I hope I´ll not fall a sleep Well I just wanted to drop by. I hope I can be more online but it´s going to be really hard semester for me.

Hugs to all the sparky fans from me.

emerald_day
      *waves* Hiya! Sounds like you need a bit of a break. You've come to the right place!

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
      That makes my heart hurt. But it was brilliant. *claps*
      Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
      Great snippet! Can't wait to read more...
      Thanks, both of you! I'm really really glad everyone's liking it so far.

And... "SparkSnark, inspired by Zero Point Snark"? I like it!
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Excellent recap, Eri, as always.

First Strike... *sigh* Okay, let's see...
        I guess if I step back and just look strictly at the episode, then yeah, it is a good ep - well written, as Eri said, and had a nice steady flow of action. It was kinda like bam, bam, bam, one thing after another.

But the whole separating myself thing from what is actually happening, and what comes after, is the hard part. Even during the recap, I started tearing up a little when Liz went to the window. The whole ep I'm screaming in my head, 'Listen to her! She's right!' and 'No... no, no, no, DON'T GO TO THE WINDOW!!!! *insert sobs*' or I feverishly create scenarios in my head that involve some random girl (namely me) showing up in the middle of the gate room and being like 'no, you don't want to go through with this plan, believe me when I say that this is not going to go like you think it will! Please, don't do it!' or just warning Liz to stay back.
        Okay, maybe that's a little pathetic, but I honestly can't help it, not when I know that this is the end of Atlantis as we knew it. Huh, that might could work as a fanfic...
        So yeah...
        sigpic
        Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Sorry I haven't been here lately its just trying to finish up my summer work right now and getting ready for school on the 10th. Those two things are my main priorities right now, but I have a little free time just to let you know what's going on. Oh by the way just to let you guys know of the fire that's going on here in Southern California, because of the fire in Yucaipa, four families over there that are friends of my mom's had been evacuated. Though their all safe right now, we're all hoping that their homes can be saved.

Comment

Hey, Sparkies! I hope you all have SyFy HD on right now, 'cause they're rerunning The Long Goodbye! Lizzie's just been possessed, and John's getting all woobie and protective!
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by M-CharmedAlantian View Post
              Sorry I haven't been here lately its just trying to finish up my summer work right now and getting ready for school on the 10th. Those two things are my main priorities right now, but I have a little free time just to let you know what's going on. Oh by the way just to let you guys know of the fire that's going on here in Southern California, because of the fire in Yucaipa, four families over there that are friends of my mom's had been evacuated. Though their all safe right now, we're all hoping that their homes can be saved.

I'm nowhere near the firelines, but man, it looks really scary out there on the news.

Comment

ZOMG!

Possessed!Sparky Kiss for the win!

Comment

First Strike. *sighs*

One big question, of course, is whether Elizabeth was right in trusting Keller. We know as of
                  Adrift that she does save Elizabeth's life--but as we'll point out in that episode, it is also Keller's decision which begins the seemingly endless cycle of Elizabeth the replicator (and causes John and others a lot of grief). Whether Elizabeth was right to trust her, I'll leave up to you.
                  One of the things that annoyed me about Seasons 4 and 5 was that for all the times we heard McKay agonizing over what happened to Elizabeth and second guessing his actions, not once did we hear Keller second guess herself. Yet she did so in regards to her work with the Wraith retrovirus... *sighs*

Elizabeth continues her administrative work--I suppose a last sort of send off to the first leader of Atlantis before her untimely 'demise'--with Rodney and John handing in performance evaluations. It is one of the few bits of levity we'll be treated to in the next three episodes. I do like Elizabeth's reminding them that they are leaders and that part of their responsibilities are 'administrative'. You'd think her chastisement might ring on deaf ears, but I actually think this is the last time we'll see John be so nonchalant about his job, because after this there is no more Elizabeth to fall back on. Not to say that he's not humorous, but as far as the job goes he takes it seriously. Those of you who've seen all of S4 & S5, let me know if I'm wrong.
                  You're not wrong. John becomes MUCH more serious about the job, starting right up in Adrift. And he never lets up again.

The split here comes from Elizabeth's belief in the powers of negotiation and her fear of Atlantis being attacked, while John takes the more militaristic attitude and the larger picture view, of the danger this poses to Earth. The enemy they're dealing with is the one that has no clear resolution--it is in theory capable of negotiation, but logically, won't be swayed by it, at least not in this case. The IOA's position wins, and hence, so does John. What's nice (and Sparky) is John's attempting to explain, quietly, why he's in support. He doesn't argue, and he does present the logical side--which is the bigger sacrifice, Atlantis or Earth?
                  I kept thinking about John reading a copy of War and Peace in Season 1, and how the argument between John and Elizabeth here is quintessentially the 'war vs. peace' idea personified.

Elizabeth attempts one final time to dissuade Ellis--or at least to see her fears, that Atlantis will bear the repercussions of this ineffectual 'first strike'. Ellis responds with a rather harsh attitude.

I never understood, really, why Ellis was so brutal to Weir. It would not have taken much to assuage her concerns about Atlantis getting hit. He had his orders, so his defense is the same as he used in this scene, that she couldn't make him stand down. But he did not need to be uncivil. In my opinion, he was the worst of the four military leaders who challenged Weir: Sumner, Everett, Caldwell, Ellis. All four colonels challenged Elizabeth's authority at some point, but there was something about Ellis that felt unnecessary. Sumner was dealing with an unsafe world and an unknown galaxy; Everett had a massive battle to win; Caldwell was being challenged on his own ship AND had had Elizabeth essentially dress him down in a room of military personnel. But Ellis isn't seizing Atlantis and he isn't protecting it. He doesn't command Elizabeth and his own orders prohibit him from 'reasoning' with the replicators. He essentially has nothing to do with her other than borrowing her equipment and soldiers. All he needs to do is explain his orders and move on. He could have done that civilly, with an ear to understanding her position but a response of "I'm sorry, but those are my orders." So why the snotty attitude? I guess because they wanted the conflict?
                  I never understood it, either. I can imagine that Ellis read up on all the people he'd be dealing with in Atlantis and knew about Weir's previous work as an anti-military campaigner, etc., and took such a dim view of it that he decided to take it out on her? *shrugs* But really, his attitude was totally uncalled for, and it ended up permanently souring me to the character. I could barely stand some parts of the novel Angelus because of the focus on Ellis.

With the beam trained on Atlantis, it's up to Elizabeth to figure out how to get them out of this situation. One credit I have to give to Gero is that he doesn't give up on Elizabeth's character in this episode. If you ever liked Weir, pretty much everything you liked about her is vindicated and championed here. She was smart--she had foresight and knew what was coming. She was tough, and she did not back down from her position. She supported her people, however, when push came to shove, and she made the tough decisions when necessary. And she got a few licks in when she had the chance:

<snip>

Elizabeth's negotiations open a window to Oberoth, which allows us to see the marvelous David Ogden Steirs once again. I like here how Gero puts Elizabeth right on the edge--she never admits she was against the strike and champions the military, but still attempts what she wanted in the first place, a peaceable solution.

Which, of course, is too late.
                  Far too late, as was the Elizabeth and Teyla friendship scene later. Gero obviously put a lot of work into FS and into Elizabeth in FS, and it's a shame we never got to see that really go anywhere... Ah, if only the writing staff had put that same level of work into Elizabeth sooner...

The next two scenes are part of what makes First Strike so interesting. Gero attempts to get into some character development in this episode, and we're show first a scene between John and Ellis, and another between Teyla and Elizabeth.

In the John/Ellis scene, Colonel Ellis does three interesting things--1) he calles John 'John', which is something no other ranking military officer has done. It's ALWAYS Colonel Sheppard, even for Caldwell; 2) He demeans Weir; 3) He voices his belief that John should be head of Atlantis.

John's reaction is to make a joke about not wanting to be 'the Man', which is entirely within character. He doesn't exactly defend Elizabeth, but you can see on his face the uncomfortable position Ellis's observations put him in. I'd love to see him champion Elizabeth, but at the same time, this response (I'll admit begrudgingly) fits John.
                  Yet another reason why I don't like Ellis; the way he tries to butter up John here is just too irritatingly smarmy. He's going for the 'divide and conquer' tactic here; get Sheppard on his side to unseat Weir and presumably put Atlantis under military control, and yet, it's too obvious. It's too clumsy. And I find myself wondering why.

In the second scene, Elizabeth is raging in her office, voicing her frustrations to Teyla. Again, we're given a 'girlfriends' type of scene, which is nice. I also like Elizabeth's anger at feeling shut out by the military, though I think this scene probably should have happened a little before the mega-laser beam hit the city.

Bitterly ironic are Elizabeth's final words, because as we know this issue never comes before the IOA or anyone else. Fate intervenes, and we begin the final process of setting the city adrift. Her words are true both in the story and in reality.
                  Hell, it should've happened long before this episode. The way that the IOA yanked her back to Earth in Allies, the way that she was shut out of the process of negotiating with the Ancients in The Return. She's had a lot of reason to build up a good mad and we should've seen it earlier.

What McKay says is also true. Submerging the city brings them full circle to what they were when they first arrived in Rising. Gero, I think, makes this a mini-homage to what was--in recognition of what's about to come, which is the changing of the guard.
                  Though Gero claimed that he didn't know they were axing Weir entirely when he originally wrote FS; he figured it was going to be a 'she'll be injured in the cliffhanger but be okay and everything's getting back to normal by the end of Part 2 next season.' Sure didn't end that way.

As nice is this scene is, though, I think it highlights the greatest weakness of First Strike--there are just a few too many uneven threads floating out here and there to make it a really tightly written episode. Ronon and Teyla are barely in it, and seem to be brought in in scenes like this for a 'oh yeah, they're here too' element. When that happens, I feel like it weighs down the action and sacrifices other things. Many elements were sort of piecemeal. In the Siege series, for example, we had a science council who convened to help out the city--so why didn't we get one of those here? Everyone seems to handle the issues in groups of 2 or 3 in First Strike and they do so apart from the others. John and Elizabeth never really consulted each other (or resolved their earlier tension), which is strange given how much they consult each other on mundane things. And was Ellis just not like Caldwell, so he wasn't willing to pull out all the stops to help Atlantis? Guess so.

None of these are major gripes, but I feel like the story would have been better had little tweaks been made here or there.
                  Again, I totally agree with you here. Maybe they were things that Gero deliberately left hanging, thinking that they would be dealt with at the opening of Season 4, except that again, it didn't happen.

Finally, non-essential personnel are beamed off to Ellis's ship, and the Apollo takes off for hyperspace, leaving Elizabeth and her team on their own. Before we see him go, Ellis, as so many other military men have done before him, admits respecting Elizabeth's decision, and actually apologizes for stepping on her toes. Though he doesn't admit to liking her, which I sort of like.
                  One of the few threads that did get resolved here instead of waiting until Season 4...

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii36/ugahill/SGA%20Season%203/firststrike0994.jpg
                  Commentary tells us that initially, they wanted Elizabeth to be on the balcony for the explosion, having her fly back through the window and to the gateroom floor. Logistically, however, it was next to impossible to accomplish. Though this is heartbreaking enough, I have to admit that might have been quite cool to see, and wish they'd found a way to do it.
                  I have to admit, I would've loved to have seen that, too. They really went all out with the effects in the rest of the episode, so shooting the scene the way they had originally intended would've been an awesome cherry on the ice cream sundae!

Eri, it's kinda ironic, but your comment on the Big Bang snippet I posted, that it "makes my heart hurt. But it was brilliant"? That's more or less how I feel about FS. There are so many things about it that drive me crazy; that it's the end of Elizabeth's reign on Atlantis, the beginning of the end of Sparky together, the downright nastiness of Ellis, the seemingly unnecessary filler moments that you mentioned... And yet, all of that is presented very well here, with lots of extra little touches like McKay and Zelenka's crack about sabotaging the Horizon warheads, seeing Lorne and Oberoth, and the awesome special effects. FS is, I guess, one of those 'love it and hate it' kind of episodes. And it was written by Martin Gero. Go figure.

Comment

Back to The Long Goodbye: Hah! I love Ronon's crack about not understanding how Weir thinks. I don't know if it was the line itself or the utterly deadpan way that Jason Momoa delivers it, but it never fails to crack me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                      First Strike. *sighs*

One of the things that annoyed me about Seasons 4 and 5 was that for all the times we heard McKay agonizing over what happened to Elizabeth and second guessing his actions, not once did we hear Keller second guess herself. Yet she did so in regards to her work with the Wraith retrovirus... *sighs*

You're not wrong. John becomes MUCH more serious about the job, starting right up in Adrift. And he never lets up again.

I kept thinking about John reading a copy of War and Peace in Season 1, and how the argument between John and Elizabeth here is quintessentially the 'war vs. peace' idea personified.

I never understood it, either. I can imagine that Ellis read up on all the people he'd be dealing with in Atlantis and knew about Weir's previous work as an anti-military campaigner, etc., and took such a dim view of it that he decided to take it out on her? *shrugs* But really, his attitude was totally uncalled for, and it ended up permanently souring me to the character. I could barely stand some parts of the novel Angelus because of the focus on Ellis.

Far too late, as was the Elizabeth and Teyla friendship scene later. Gero obviously put a lot of work into FS and into Elizabeth in FS, and it's a shame we never got to see that really go anywhere... Ah, if only the writing staff had put that same level of work into Elizabeth sooner...

Yet another reason why I don't like Ellis; the way he tries to butter up John here is just too irritatingly smarmy. He's going for the 'divide and conquer' tactic here; get Sheppard on his side to unseat Weir and presumably put Atlantis under military control, and yet, it's too obvious. It's too clumsy. And I find myself wondering why.

Hell, it should've happened long before this episode. The way that the IOA yanked her back to Earth in Allies, the way that she was shut out of the process of negotiating with the Ancients in The Return. She's had a lot of reason to build up a good mad and we should've seen it earlier.

Though Gero claimed that he didn't know they were axing Weir entirely when he originally wrote FS; he figured it was going to be a 'she'll be injured in the cliffhanger but be okay and everything's getting back to normal by the end of Part 2 next season.' Sure didn't end that way.

Again, I totally agree with you here. Maybe they were things that Gero deliberately left hanging, thinking that they would be dealt with at the opening of Season 4, except that again, it didn't happen.

One of the few threads that did get resolved here instead of waiting until Season 4...

I have to admit, I would've loved to have seen that, too. They really went all out with the effects in the rest of the episode, so shooting the scene the way they had originally intended would've been an awesome cherry on the ice cream sundae!

Eri, it's kinda ironic, but your comment on the Big Bang snippet I posted, that it "makes my heart hurt. But it was brilliant"? That's more or less how I feel about FS. There are so many things about it that drive me crazy; that it's the end of Elizabeth's reign on Atlantis, the beginning of the end of Sparky together, the downright nastiness of Ellis, the seemingly unnecessary filler moments that you mentioned... And yet, all of that is presented very well here, with lots of extra little touches like McKay and Zelenka's crack about sabotaging the Horizon warheads, seeing Lorne and Oberoth, and the awesome special effects. FS is, I guess, one of those 'love it and hate it' kind of episodes. And it was written by Martin Gero. Go figure.
                      - I'll touch on the Shakespeare references in TMC and BAMSR, but I, like John, have never read War & Peace. I would love to hear someone's commentary on how J&E reflect parts of it.

- I didn't know that about Gero--thanks for the info. You're right, they didn't actually tell even Torri she was being downsized until the last day of filming First Strike, so it makes sense writing it much earlier Gero wouldn't have known. So perhaps it is more of an homage to the city leaving Lantea--which, by the way, Sheppard refers to as such in this episode. Had they called it Lantea before?

Comment

- I'll touch on the Shakespeare references in TMC and BAMSR, but I, like John, have never read War & Peace. I would love to hear someone's commentary on how J&E reflect parts of it.
                        Heh. I've never read W&P either. I was speaking mainly about the opposing nature of the concept in general. No doubt, that's what the producers intended with the two originally, but it just never happened because the writing and the actors' chemistry leaned so much more strongly towards Sheppard and Weir being partners rather than at each others' throats. At least, most of the time.

- I didn't know that about Gero--thanks for the info. You're right, they didn't actually tell even Torri she was being downsized until the last day of filming First Strike, so it makes sense writing it much earlier Gero wouldn't have known. So perhaps it is more of an homage to the city leaving Lantea--which, by the way, Sheppard refers to as such in this episode. Had they called it Lantea before?
                        Calling the planet Lantea before FS? Not to my recollection.

I definitely see the homages to Rising; it's very fitting and clever on Gero's part, and it's another one of the things I really enjoyed about FS.

Comment

TLG: The infirmary scene!

"Especially that kiss." LOL! Steven, you slay me!

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                            TLG: The infirmary scene!

"Especially that kiss." LOL! Steven, you slay me!
                            He was having such evil fun with them. And I mean, seriously, everybody knew something was up with them. Why else would Caldwell say that? Caldwell of all people??

Comment

He was having such evil fun with them. And I mean, seriously, everybody knew something was up with them. Why else would Caldwell say that? Caldwell of all people??
                              Exactly! It's like the whole 'what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas' kind of thing. John and Elizabeth being an item was the unspoken secret-but-not-really-secret of Atlantis. Only the insiders knew, and Earth didn't have a frakin' clue.

Somehow, I can see everyone making voodoo dolls of Ellis and Kavanaugh just to get those two jerks off of Sparky's backs.

Comment

Originally posted by M-CharmedAlantian View Post
                                So sorry about your friends. We'll keep them in our prayers.

Yes they did in The Tower. I picked up on it yesterday when we were watching it. I think it was in the radio convo with John and Elizabeth and the term was "Lantean architecture" referring to the tower John was telling her about.

Now FS. This was one of those that I think was just too full. There was a lot going on and all of it except that Fantastic Four scene was necessary IMHO. I loved all the moments with the various characters like McKay/Zelenka, Teyla/Elizabeth and of course Sparky. It's pretty obvious MG just needed to show what Teyla and Ronon were doing so he thought to add a bit of comic relief. It fell flat because of the glaring truth of Teyla being the invisible woman. And John is nothing like Reed Richards. He's Johnny Storm.

I agree that they made Ellis a big old grump just to add conflict. And I wish John had called him on his criticism of Elizabeth.

The office scene in the beginning was all the more poignant because we never see John this lighthearted again. Yeah, he jokes and makes his sarcastic remarks all through S4-5 but it's like he's just doing it because it's expected of him. The lightness is gone.

Any other observations I'll save for the questions. You know how I like to run on and on.
                                sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Working...
                                X