No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Speaking of pretty...

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    Since he's military his shoes while in uniform have to be military issue. Here
    Spoiler:
    in Sunday he's wearing some sort of sneaker that looks like Nike or Adidas or one of those. And in The Shrine he's barefoot. LOL
    Oooh, belly peekage.

Originally posted by pkprd869 View Post
    Thanks y'all for the kind words about the fics. SR Seeing Ronon do "All Shook Up" would be HIlarious. I thought having the "cool kids" (Shep, Lorne, and Ronon) liking Holly and the "nerdy kids" (McKay, Lizzie, and Teyla) like Elvis was pretty ironic since you'd figure it'd go the other way. Anuna Elvis huh. I dig the King. But I feel Elvis had more impact on pop culture in general, but Buddy Holly had more influence on rock music.
    Read it and laughed my butt off! That was awesome!

Originally posted by pkprd869 View Post
    an athletic shoe, I don't know. I like New Balance since they make different widths, foot shapes, arch supports, ect. Now dress shoes, we saw wardrobe put some ugly square toe monstrosities on his feet. Seeing as he came from money, I though he'd be Alden or Allen Edmonds (my pair came in to day )for American shoes. Maybe John Lobb bespoke (British) or some high end Italian maker.
    New Balance for the win.

I doubt John would be buying expensive designer shoes, however. He came from money, but he's also the black sheep of the family and left that part of his life behind long ago. Judging from Dave's comment to John in Outcast, he may not even have gotten anything in his father's will.

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
    I am able to check them from home, but I'm home so rarely...

Generally the fam uses the computer so there's always someone on it. That's why it's difficult for me to do the post-a-thons, cuz I have to kick people off on the days I'm home.
    Nuts!

I enjoy the Caldwell/Weir scenes. I could see the shipping aspect from others, because Torri and Mitch Pileggi I think had fun playing opposite one another--and, they had that tension that I think the writers initially thought Weir would have with Sheppard.

What's cool about that relationship is that it never loses that tension, and yet they seem to develop a mutual respect for one another. I like how Caldwell doesn't sell her out in Misbegotten, yet she still goes for the throat in episodes like Sateda. He seemed to understand her passion and her responsibilities and never let one or the other throw him.

I don't think we ever saw Caldwell's reaction to her death, did we?
    Nope, we never saw Caldwell's reaction to her death. I vaguely recall Pileggi mentioning the loss of Weir and speculating on Caldwell's reaction in an interview in the SG magazine, but nothing ever came of it.

I definitely saw the Weir vs. Caldwell tension too, and I have to say, I liked it in them. It gave us an interesting 'us (Atlantis) vs. them (Earth)' vibe in the aftermath of the reconnection with Earth that I wish had been developed further. On the other hand, the writers' attempt to recreate that tension in the Weir vs. Ellis conflict in First Strike fell flat on its face.

Yet another ball drop by TPTB. He should have at least said something to John.
    Word. Way to fail at continuity, TPTW.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Yet another ball drop by TPTB. He should have at least said something to John.
      Yeah. As should most of the people they 'encountered' for the first time after her death. Would have been nice for the Genii to say something. And I'm still peeved Teyla didn't say anything in Missing during the girl time with Keller. Or Kavanaugh in Midway. Even if had been something to the effect of "always knew Weir would have ended up that way".

And then John would have punched him.

So many missed opportunities...

Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Yeah. As should most of the people they 'encountered' for the first time after her death. Would have been nice for the Genii to say something. And I'm still peeved Teyla didn't say anything in Missing during the girl time with Keller. Or Kavanaugh in Midway. Even if had been something to the effect of "always knew Weir would have ended up that way".

I thought about that at the time. And Rodney? First he wrote a 500 page book about her then he's all excited about Sam coming to take over. Oh, and only after he was excited thinking he would get the job. That's just messed up.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Thanks. Like I said, I usually just try to keep it real simple.

And I just noticed how many of us have woobie!John in our sigs. LOL
          Anuna's correct about LJ and Torri also uses another service sometimes that my computer mega-firewall also blocks, so the links don't even show up.

My company firewall is massive and blocks out most 'social' sites.

It's a little aggravating because I miss out on good fics and art that way.
          hmm.. i uploaded the pic only onto lj .. i mean, i could try ... *thinks*
          photobucket?

no, wait!! - i got it on deviantArt xD

HERE - does that one work!?

hey, are you saying i use dodgy services?

Comment

*snerks at the Kavanaugh-gets-beat-up idea*

And yeah, for all that TPTW were trying to push Elizabeth and Teyla as BFFs toward the end of Season 3, they certainly seemed to forget about it really fast after that one token scene over packing up Elizabeth's office stuff in Lifeline.

I thought about that at the time. And Rodney? First he wrote a 500 page book about her then he's all excited about Sam coming to take over. Oh, and only after he was excited thinking he would get the job. That's just messed up.
            Totally messed up. Of course, I suppose TPTW would try and spin it as an example of McKay's lack of people skills/penchant for being a jerk, but we all know that's bogus.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Yeah. Rodney did actually get some lines about missing Elizabeth in The Seer and This Mortal Coil. ONE OF THE FEW BY ANYONE.

But when Ronon has the best Weir-mourning scenes, you know something's off...

At the time, I was really, really mad John didn't do more. But in retrospect, I think Joe F. did what he could. John wasn't the type of character to cry and speak out about his feelings, but John's actions and aura was telling enough. His 'darker' version of John in what I saw in S4 (and what I've heard tell in S5) makes up for it.

Though I am still a little peeved at the whole resolution to the erasing of Asuras in BAMSR. They were too happy-go-lucky there for my taste.

Originally posted by Torri012 View Post
              hmm.. i uploaded the pic only onto lj .. i mean, i could try ... *thinks*
              photobucket?

no, wait!! - i got it on deviantArt xD

HERE - does that one work!?

hey, are you saying i use dodgy services?
              Nope, just services that get blocked by our company's policy on social networking sites.

Deviantart is another that is flat out blocked.

It wasn't this particular piece of art I was referring to--you've posted pictures in the past where the links didn't show up at all on my computer. With this one, I could see the link, but it being on LJ, I couldn't see it.

Photobucket is one of the few that isn't blocked for me, so you could put it there...
              Last edited by Eri13; 21 August 2009, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Yeah. Rodney did actually get some lines about missing Elizabeth in The Seer and This Mortal Coil. ONE OF THE FEW BY ANYONE.

But when Ronon has the best Weir-mourning scenes, you know something's off...

At the time, I was really, really mad John didn't do more. But in retrospect, I think Joe F. did what he could. John wasn't the type of character to cry and speak out about his feelings, but John's actions and aura was telling enough. His 'darker' version of John in what I saw in S4 (and what I've heard tell in S5) makes up for it.

Though I am still a little peeved at the whole resolution to the erasing of Asuras in BAMSR. They were too happy-go-lucky there for my taste.
                Way off, and way too happy-go-lucky. Season 4 was downright schizophrenic with the way that the writing kept jumping all over the place in portraying the characters' reactions to Weir's fate. First they're oblivious, then they're sad, then they're oblivious again... argh. John was the most consistent out of any of them, and I chalk that up to JoeF being on the ball and knowing his character better than the writers did.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                  Way off, and way too happy-go-lucky. Season 4 was downright schizophrenic with the way that the writing kept jumping all over the place in portraying the characters' reactions to Weir's fate. First they're oblivious, then they're sad, then they're oblivious again... argh. John was the most consistent out of any of them, and I chalk that up to JoeF being on the ball and knowing his character better than the writers did.
                  Boy ain't that the truth. And considering that he's said at some point they stopped listening to him, I'm guessing he tried to do more and failed. Thanks Joe.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Boy ain't that the truth. And considering that he's said at some point they stopped listening to him, I'm guessing he tried to do more and failed. Thanks Joe.
                    Speaking of Joe, did you know he, Rachel, Jason and Paul McGillion are all going to Dragon*Con in Atlanta next week? If Torri were going I'd brave the crowds and go. She was there last year, but is not on the list this year.

It's funny to think most of the SGA cast will be eating in my town next week, though.

Comment

SyFy is rerunning Aurora right now! Lizzie's trying to explain chess to Ronon. And then she gets one on Caldwell. Again. Teehee.

Speaking of Joe, did you know he, Rachel, Jason and Paul McGillion are all going to Dragon*Con in Atlanta next week? If Torri were going I'd brave the crowds and go. She was there last year, but is not on the list this year.

It's funny to think most of the SGA cast will be eating in my town next week, though.
                      *flails* That's so awesome. You should try to go anyway, I'm sure it'd be fun!

Comment

Ooooh, lookie at John in the Ancient virtual world!

I like how they gave the lighting on the virtual Aurora a blueish tint, it reminds me of the Matrix movies and how all the scenes occurring in the Matrix had slightly greenish lighting. Clever.

Comment

At least we know Joe cares about the show as more than just a paycheck. *salutes Joe*

Comment

*giggles at Sheppard making yucky faces at McKay drooling over the Ancient-chick-who's-really-a-Wraith*

Comment

*raises a glass to the crew of the Aurora*

And Lizzie's holding John's glass for him.

Comment

Sorry to barge in again (if you haven’t guessed, I haven’t had a lot of internet time recently, hence my absence of this thread), but I’ve been watching s5 recently on dvd. On balance, I actually liked it (this coming from a staunch ANTI who thought s4 was abysmal). Sure, I’d change things - both within specific eps and throughout the season – but overall it was solid. I’d qualify that by reiterating that I waited & watched it on dvd, hence my expectations were much lower than if I waited every week for each episode. Here’s some more specific stuff:

Season 5

Spoiler:
                                Flannigan hit it out of the park with S & R. It was his best performance of the season (sadly, he also had some bad personal news at the time). I personally loved Carter in this ep (although I had a couple of very minor continuity/logic niggles with some of the things she did – how did she not know the Wraith dial the gate on attack; if she could use the ancient life signs detector, then why didn’t she [a trained pilot] fly the jumper instead of McKay…) and thought AT gave a great performance here too, especially during her scene with RP. It was the first time that the writers had actually written for Carter, rather than ‘the leader’, & the first time I thought that she had really stepped up as commander (as is usually the case when they write somebody out). RP was great as Woolsey, if a little too fast adapting to the position, although I did wonder if he had had one of those mini-strokes at the start of the year (I’d never noticed his facial movements when speaking before & it became really distracting). I did lament at some of Woolseys dialogue, if only because the same lines said by Weir would label her as a nagger/mother hen etc....

I was not a fan of the McKay/Keller/McKeller/Rodifer pairing previously, but found it relatively easy to ignore, as I did for most ship in s5. It’s amusing to me that on one hand, with almost zero build up, they get together, yet we are told to ignore UST in other pairings. I realise they probably pushed it along somewhat due to the cancellation, but it did seem rushed.
                                TPTW, probably by accident, did well to eliminate all ship in s5. I found Teyla/Kanaan believable, but they fell into the trap of writing Kanaan as a wimp - if you listen to the commentary during Broken Ties, the joke is that Teyla wears the pants in that relationship – and then forgetting about him for the rest of the year (like the rest of the Athosians). Interestingly, Jason said during that commentary that he saw Teyla/Shep, but the question was an either/or between that and Teyla/Ronon. Banks/Ronon seemed a big stretch to me (perhaps a Saturday night fling, not a relationship).

As I said, in general I liked s5. To me though, it seemed like they lacked an ark for the season. The quality of individual eps was okay, but filler eps like Brain Storm/Identity/Vegas didn’t actually add anything to the series as a whole (yes, I liked Vegas). All of that became apparent when the finale (the worst ep of the season no less) had zero build up & plot holes up the wazoo.

Ghost in the Machine

Spoiler:
                                NOT Elizabeth. I still would have felt that way if Torri had played the character. Flannigan gave another outstanding performance, but I didn’t buy that Shep (or even Rodney, given that he was such a strong advocate of allowing her to stay initially) would allow her to commit suicide again if they thought it was actually her. I got the impression that it was a replicator copy – an AI with her memories, but a different emotional and moral core.

How I would have changed it IF Torri were to come back

Spoiler:
                                Alter the dream sequence in S & R, still keeping the Teyla section, but have Ford morph into Weir, then have them all taunt him briefly (I’d cut out that weird CG zoom thing from the planet to Michael’s ship). At the end of GitM, Fran would have written a hidden file detailing that she was not the real Elizabeth, and that she knew where the Replicators took her (& placed her in stasis). Another ep would involved actually making a rescue attempt (successful of course). Woolsey would still be the Atlantis head, but Elizabeth would get to remain on base with minor screen time (over the course of the season, maybe three eps in total). In the last ep, I’d have Woolsey go back to Earth instead of Shep, leaving Weir in charge. I know it’s hokey, but she & Shep left Earth to find the city, it seems only fitting that they bring it back. Also no wormhole drive (that was stupid), they would get there using the good old stardrive, and NOT land on Earth.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X