Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
    Nicely done! I'm such a nerd, I love reading y'alls answers.

I should note that Cuperus's other episode in S3 was "The Ark".
    Ah, well here's where my Cuperus love breaks down and the beginning of Teyla as damsel in distress takes over. Not as well written as Submersion. Looks like somebody sent Ken a memo.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by agent_almeida View Post
      Um hi everyone!

A friend from LJ told me to drop by and show my face so here I am. I have no idea what to say on this thing except I love John and Liz too. heh

So yeah, hello and nice to meet you all!
      Nice to meet you as well! Welcome to the Sparky thread!!

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      Ah, well here's where my Cuperus love breaks down and the beginning of Teyla as damsel in distress takes over. Not as well written as Submersion. Looks like somebody sent Ken a memo.
      From a shippy perspective "The Ark" isn't my favorite (though Liz's picking on Sheppard in the infirmary is so CUTE!) but as an episode, it was quite well-written, much like CG and Submersion. None of the characters are truly 'stupid' and the villains/victims had some depth to them.

That's why I didn't label Cuperus a Sparky, though.
      Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
        Like SK said Submersion is a real horror style. Whispers is Disney with playmates (sorry for the actress but I need something to describe her and it's the only thing in english that trough my mind lol) next this episode.
        *dies laughing* Ooooh, cold shot!

Um hi everyone!

A friend from LJ told me to drop by and show my face so here I am. I have no idea what to say on this thing except I love John and Liz too. heh

*waves* Hiya! Stick around a while and have some fun!

LMAO!

From a shippy perspective "The Ark" isn't my favorite (though Liz's picking on Sheppard in the infirmary is so CUTE!) but as an episode, it was quite well-written, much like CG and Submersion. None of the characters are truly 'stupid' and the villains/victims had some depth to them.

That's why I didn't label Cuperus a Sparky, though.
        Oh, what Cuperus might have done with the Death of Kolya... *headdesk*
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Um hi everyone!

Welcome here! You can speak with us even if you have nothing to say very important. I did this everytime.lol

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
          *dies laughing* Ooooh, cold shot!
          I'm pretty proud of this one.lol I was sure that you will like it.

Gateworld has a problem. I can't come here without waiting 20 minutes. Now I'm tired now so time to go to bed. Tomorrow I will see Joe Flanigan A.K.A his clone. wooow!
          sigpic
          Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Did anybody else see Joe on Warehouse 13? It's hard to separate him from Sheppard yet. He reminded me of John in Outcast a bit. He played a
            Spoiler:
            nice rich guy who had inherited his money from a corrupt father. He helped the agents solve the mystery and went on a date with Myka. They were cute together but no real romance developed.
            And he looked yummy.
            I started it and fast forwarded to the first appearance by Joe. It IS really hard to separate him from Sheppard. I think I'm going to have to see him radically different to shake a little of that. Or just get further away from rewatching SGA episodes.

I have to say, from what I saw those two leads have like 0% chemistry. I didn't watch anymore than Joe's first scene just cuz I wanted to see him, and because I've got the first few episodes on tape and wanted to watch them before I got confused.

But I wasn't terribly impressed. A lot of what I saw felt stilted...

In other Joe-related news, Jodelle Ferland, who played Harmony in Harmony, just got cast in the third Twilight film, Eclipse.

Submersion questions coming later.
            As Eri said, I'm not feeling the chemistry with the leads. I like the premise behind it though so when I have more time I might give it another shot. Of course I watched last night for Joe and once again have proof that Sparky ate my brain. During the episode someone said
            Spoiler:
            something like hey there Sparky and you guys know what I thought of.

I'm sad...

Yeah, we've been watching the series to give it a try. I think hubby likes it better than I do. It's okay for popcorn SciFi but we used to watch the old Friday the 13th series and it was much better and exactly the same almost.

I like the banter between Pete and Myka but I always think Joe and Torri could do it better. And it does seem that when they need a good looking rich character they always think of Joe. He must be getting tired of it. I liked him much better in CSI Miami. He plays nasty very nicely. Heh.

Now I'm off for a dental check up. *heaves* Later.
            I'm still waiting for some producer to figure this out. Argh. We need to starting sending Sparky vids to casting directors. LOL

I found JF's appearance on Dawson's Creek on YT last night. Um, yeah, he looked hot.
            sigpic
            sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

Nighty-night, Probie! Pleasant Sparky dreams!

SyFy is rerunning Letters From Pegasus (aka SGA's best clip show ever) today. We've already had Sparky eyesexing of doom, arguments over tactics, and a couple of funny personal messages. And Rodney going on and on and on about... leadership.
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

LfP: Now we're getting the mysterious Wraith beam thingy blasting down into Orin's village that we never hear about again!

And now, back to... Rodney. And leadership. *headdesk*

Comment

Lizzie's message to the families. *pets her*

And more arguing in the jumper.

Comment

John's recording the message for Sumner's family... *pets him*

And Lizzie for Simon... *smacks Simon*

Comment

Walter and Sam!

Now that was an SG-1 cameo that made sense!

Comment

Originally posted by scary kitty View Post
                        john's recording the message for sumner's family... *pets him*

and lizzie for simon... *smacks simon*
                        *lol*
                        Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

*lol*
                          *cracks up* Seriously though, from the way it sounds in "Intruder," Simon may already have found his "someone else" by the time of LFP. The cheating jerk!

But John will make Lizzie feel all better. Heheheh...

Comment

Again: not much I can say that hasn't been said already, by I'll try

Submersion Discussion Questions

1) "Submersion" marks the last of the three episodes Ken Cuperus penned for season 3 of SGA. His total for SGA is 4, having written "Inquisition". What did you think of his take on the characters in "Submersion" and what do you think of him as a SGA writer as a whole?

I think he's one of the best writers SGA has ever had.
                            He gets the characters, he knows how they tick, he knows what's important to them and he knows who they have chemistry with and uses that all brilliantly.
                            The regular writers could learn something from him...

2) Submersion is set on a 'geothermal drilling platform' on the ocean floor of Lantea, which means the location could look a lot like Atlantis but still feel like an 'outside' adventure. What did you think of this setting? Should they have visited more 'Ancient' facilities like this?

I love this location. As said before: it's a nice change from the never-ending forest planets.
                            And yes, they should have done more episodes like these... would have been cool if they had found an ancient facility on the mainland where they could go to occasionally...

3) Cuperus employs a horror-movie style telling for "Submersion", with the audience aware that extreme danger lurks around the corner while the characters are only given hints as to what threatens them. Did you like this as a story vehicle for SGA?

I'm not a horror fan, but I loved this episode. Much better than the horror that was 'Whispers'...

4) Teyla's "Wraith Gift" is used to excess here. Was it written appropriately? Did it help Teyla in terms of character development? Those of you who've watched through S5, does it help in developing her Gift for later stories?

I love the way they used Teyla here... at least we have some more development for her character... and it will be one of the last times
                            Rachel did an awesome job and it's a shame she couldn't show her talents as an actress more often in SGA.

5) Elizabeth is present to observe the Platform--but as Rodney and team are bringing it online, she orders John to 'put her to work'. Now, despite LOVING the fact she does this, honestly, was it sensible for the Head of the expedition to roam around an untested facility checking to make sure it wasn't dangerous? Why or why not--and BE HONEST!!

Like others pointed out: her presence could be explained by the need to translate the new Ancient stuff they find.
                            But still, for a first time exploration, her presence is unnecessary. She could have easily joined the next batch of scientists after the station had gotten an all-clear.
                            But then again, they never expected to find any danger on an underwater station that was abandoned 10.000 years ago... although, they're in Pegasus and should know better

6) Was the idea of a Wraith Queen surviving for 10,000 years a believable one? Why or why not?

Yes it was. We've seen it before and it was a good idea to use it again.
                            Yay for continuity

7) Rachel Luttrell plays Teyla's 'possession' quite boldly, leaving the audience with little doubt she's been possessed. Should the characters have caught on to this, or is there a reasonable explanation for why they didn't?

Yes, they should have noticed the difference in her.
                            Makes you wonder how well they really know her after working closely together for nearly 3 years

8) Were you sad at the deaths of Dickenson and GrayDON? Why or why not?

A bit... Especially after Rodney treated Graysondon so badly
                            And so close after Carson's death it sorta stung to loose even more good people

9) Was the ending too involved (deep sea suits, tricking Queens, comedic shoot-outs) or right on par for an SGA episode?

Right on par for me. It fit in perfectly with the rest of the show.

10) How did you like the ending scene, with the SGA-1 team taking naps? If you didn't, how would you have ended it 'better?'

It was good to see them this relaxed for once... although a Sparky scene somewhere in a dark corridor would have made a very interesting ending scene

11) I've deemed "Submersion" a favorite because I really enjoy the character dialogue. Who had the best lines for you?

Sheppard... no doubt.

12) Finally, "Submersion" is a true stand-alone episode in that it doesn't reference the death of Carson. Did you appreciate that about this episode or not? Should Carson's death have tinged the 'fun' of the character interactions? Where would you put "Submersion" in a story development timeline--still after "Sunday" or before?

No, didn't appreciate that at all. As SK pointed out, it's set much to close to 'Sunday' for them not to mention Carson even once.
                            But I also think this was written as a sort of 'in-between' episode to use when they had a free slot.
                            But then again... there never was much mentioning of Elizabeth and she was their leader for over three years...
                            yeah... the SGA tptw were never good in continuity...
                            *sighs*

SPARKY BONUS!!!

A) What do you think possessed Cuperus to write the "Ee-ther way or Eye-ther way line?"

Again: he knows the characters and he gets the chemistry between them. And he doesn't mind using that knowledge to better the dialogues.

B) Why do you think John takes Elizabeth with him? We've seen him trust Ronon with her before...(stay as much on canon as possible, please. I know, I know, you hate me. )

He's worried for her safety. When he can keep an eye on her, he will.
                            He also knows Ronon and Teyla make a good team, so it's logical to send them away together. Just ignore the fact that leaves him with Elizabeth

C) "Submersion" is sorta like "Coup d'etat" in that it has both high-watt Sparkage (the above line, alone time, focused John-Elizabeth joking) and a low-volt continuous connection (the number of looks/sharing scenes/easy chemistry). As a Sparky, what do you like more? [/quote]

I like them both: but I like 'Submersion' just a bit more... if only for the constant walking in and out of darkened corridors

Sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
                              He's worried for her safety. When he can keep an eye on her, he will.
                              He also knows Ronon and Teyla make a good team, so it's logical to send them away together. Just ignore the fact that leaves him with Elizabeth

I like them both: but I like 'Submersion' just a bit more... if only for the constant walking in and out of darkened corridors
                              Hey, John and Elizabeth have got all those new closets to christen! That'll keep those two busy for a while!

Comment

Um hi everyone!

*waves*
                                I know you from LJ!
                                Welcome to the Sparky thread on GW... you'll love it here... just don't accept any mints...

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                                Tomorrow I will see Joe Flanigan A.K.A his clone. wooow!
                                Nighty night and let the Sparky bugs bite
                                Don't forget to take a pic of that man

SyFy is rerunning Letters From Pegasus (aka SGA's best clip show ever) today. We've already had Sparky eyesexing of doom, arguments over tactics, and a couple of funny personal messages. And Rodney going on and on and on about... leadership.
                                Oh, I love LfP!!
                                Leadership!!! *dies laughing*
                                This is an episode that really shows character growth and potential... again too bad tptw forgot about some issues raised in this ep later on.
                                Like why John never bothered to record something...
                                Oh well... back then we still had hope... now we know better

Lizzie's message to the families. *pets her*

And more arguing in the jumper.
                                I love that Lizzie scene. It shows how important every member of the expedition is too her, no matter if it's a soldier or a scientist.

Oh yes... arguing in the jumper... a real sign of true luv... *eyeroll*

Walter and Sam!

Now that was an SG-1 cameo that made sense!
                                So true!! One of the only times SG1 cameo'd (is that even a word?) in SGA that didn't bug the *bleep* out of me.

*cracks up* Seriously though, from the way it sounds in "Intruder," Simon may already have found his "someone else" by the time of LFP. The cheating jerk!

But John will make Lizzie feel all better. Heheheh...
                                *cough*BigBang*cough*
                                And yeah... John will make Lizzie feel all better

Sig by me

Comment

Working...
                                X