Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Not just you. *kicks GW* eBay was annoying me earlier today, too... *kicks eBay just for good measure*

*cackles* Go read it! You know you want to!

Heh. It's like SR said... he's the Big Hewo.

Oh damn, you broke my heart with that! I wonder if that's what they were trying to do with the 'one last look' moment in GitM?
    well while this guy did a good job nobody could beat Joe's Look in GITM it was so what do u people call it So Wubby? it was heartbreaking i guess u could call it.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      He's the hero you see. He has to be the one to run toward the gunfire and ultimately save everyone.
      *eyerolls again*
      They could have kept Sumner alive and let him do the paperwork while John as his 2IC could be gallivanting around the galaxy.
      But then we would have ended up with a whole different SGA, wouldn't we... and a whole different Sparky

That was wonderful. I never even saw that show but you could use the same dialogue for Sparky and it would fit perfectly. And that last look was so John in GitM. Perfect.
      Oh damn, you broke my heart with that! I wonder if that's what they were trying to do with the 'one last look' moment in GitM?
      The show's pretty good, but I gave up on it when 90% of the main cast was killed off in some way or another during 2 consecutive seasons.
      Anyway, this scene is the perfect way to show a ship that was always there, simmering all the time. As in SGA the writers of Spooks never actively wrote the ship. Yes, there were dinners and stuff, but never more that we could see. We knew they felt a whole lot more about each other and this scene confirmed it. Like I said the first time: this scene and the ship it represents immediately reminded me of Sparky.
      It confirms what we have known for years. So on the one side you're happy they finally come clean about their feelings towards each other, but on the other it's frustrating cause it took them this long and her leaving.
      Again: typical Sparky
      And yes, that final look did remind me of John's GitM wooby look too

Not just you. *kicks GW* eBay was annoying me earlier today, too... *kicks eBay just for good measure*
      *joins in kicking GW and eBay*

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
      So, ahem, what did I miss?

Yes, I'm baaack!
      *tacklehugs Anuna*
      Welcome back!!!! We missed you!!!
      How was the vacation?

Sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
        Oh, remember when a while back I talked about the final scene of a ship in Spooks and how it was a beautiful and very touching ending to that ship and how it would have been amazing to see Sparky end like this, instead of the way it ended now?
        It's sad and heartbreaking and it still makes me cry, but it really would have been amazing to see Sparky end similar to this...
        Anyway, I found it on YouTube and thought I'd share... if you're interested...
        So, if you are interested, you can find it here.
        Oh... It can be a Sparky scene. Very sad.

Yes, I'm baaack!
        Hello! Welcome back. Did you know that you have a good timing? There is a good plot for a story. Elizabeth pregnant and John's reaction (see the page before). Yes I give you a homework.lol
        sigpic
        Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

I just received my books (send by my mommy). I just sart some pages of the official companion season 4 and I already want to burn it. Is it normal? lol

And I think that maybe...my report will be back this night. Now it's time for me to go to eat something.
          sigpic

Comment

Yes, I'm baaack!
            Hey, welcome back. You were sorely missed. The S5 critique thread did Vegas without you along with EatG and now I'm done with that thread forever. *dusts hands* But here in Sparky heaven we're all smiley and happy.
            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
              I just received my books (send by my mommy). I just sart some pages of the official companion season 4 and I already want to burn it. Is it normal? lol

And I think that maybe...my report will be back this night. Now it's time for me to go to eat something.
              You want to burn it? Lol, please, tell us more
              Although I'm not really sure I want to know

Yay for the return of your report! Can't wait to read it

Sig by me

Comment

Hi 'Nuna! Welcome back, hope the vacay was nice!

Well...I thought I was going to have to farm pictures for Submersion, but as it turns out I already did that. So do you guys want me to do the Submersion recap today or later this week?
                Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post

Well...I thought I was going to have to farm pictures for Submersion, but as it turns out I already did that. So do you guys want me to do the Submersion recap today or later this week?
                  ASAP! We need recaps. But only if you have time.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

ASAP! We need recaps. But only if you have time.
                    I will at lunch. Submersion is in my top 5 eppies, so I know it like the back of my hand. I'd rather get Sunday out of the queue, anyway.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
                      *eyerolls again*
                      They could have kept Sumner alive and let him do the paperwork while John as his 2IC could be gallivanting around the galaxy.
                      But then we would have ended up with a whole different SGA, wouldn't we... and a whole different Sparky
                      Funny you should mention Sumner; I remember reading somewhere that they liked Robert Patrick's performance so much that they regretted killing off Sumner as quickly as they did.

Burning the book? Yikes, do I want to know what's in it?

Yay for episode reports!

Food... Mmmm, breakfast time!

Yes, today if you can fit it in, please! I liked Submersion.
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Today wil be good. I like Submersion too.

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Funny you should mention Sumner; I remember reading somewhere that they liked Robert Patrick's performance so much that they regretted killing off Sumner as quickly as they did.

Burning the book? Yikes, do I want to know what's in it?

Yay for episode reports!

Food... Mmmm, breakfast time!

Yes, today if you can fit it in, please! I liked Submersion.
                        There are stupid things in it. Some comment about Elizabeth and stupid episode. I have to take my time for read this.
                        Now I will work on my report of "Critical mass".
                        sigpic

Comment

There are stupid things in it. Some comment about Elizabeth and stupid episode. I have to take my time for read this.
                          Now I will work on my report of "Critical mass".
                          Oh what the frak? Are TPTW dissing Elizabeth again? Grrr.

And Critical Mass for the win! That was an awesome episode!
                          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Oh what the frak? Are TPTW dissing Elizabeth again? Grrr.
                            And Critical Mass for the win! That was an awesome episode!
                            Always the same stupid things:
                            - They didn't know what to do with her character. She's a civilian woman boss in another galaxy. She's a negociator...Yes I don't know what to do with her too. "sigh" They are writers or not? But they can't write for the others characters so it's not just her.
                            - They never write Torri out for put Amanda in the show. Yes of course...and the sky is yellow. Don't say me it's a coincidence or I will laugh. I don't care if they put Amanda in SGA. I like her ( not so much in Sga because her character is not written correctly...yes they are writesr...pff) but don't think that the fans are stupid.
                            - I can't stand some comments about the awful episode and I read "I'm so proud of this episode. We did a good job. The fans are happy...blablabla." Where did they see that the fans are happy.
                            They are a lot of comments but it's not the topic here and I don't want to be rude or say stupid things.lol
                            Back to my report
                            sigpic

Comment

Yeah... I didn't dislike Sumner that much to be honest, even though he was sort an *ss towards Sheppard...
                              I would have loved though to see all the conflict that could have happened between John and Sumner... and Elizabeth and Sumner... And then maybe John could defend her honor again
                              Anyway... keeping Sumner alive *cough*BB*cough*

Always the same stupid things:
                              - They didn't know what to do with her character. She's a civilian woman boss in another galaxy. She's a negociator...Yes I don't know what to do with her too. "sigh" They are writers or not? But they can't write for the others characters so it's not just her.
                              - They never write Torri out for put Amanda in the show. Yes of course...and the sky is yellow. Don't say me it's a coincidence or I will laugh. I don't care if they put Amanda in SGA. I like her ( not so much in Sga because her character is not written correctly...yes they are writesr...pff) but don't think that the fans are stupid.
                              - I can't stand some comments about the awful episode and I read "I'm so proud of this episode. We did a good job. The fans are happy...blablabla." Where did they see that the fans are happy.
                              They are a lot of comments but it's not the topic here and I don't want to be rude or say stupid things.lol
                              Back to my report
                              *eyeroll*
                              So yeah... same old, same old...
                              And no worries, if it's in the book, you're not saying anything bad by just describing it here

Sig by me

Comment

Okay. Doesn't take much to persuade me!

After the traumatic events of Sunday, SGA took us back to the basics for an episode that, despite being 100% out of place ends up being one of my top 5 favorites.

Thought continuity should call for our cast members to be depressed and disheartened following the death of Carson, the next episode in the Season 3 queue seems to follow the tried and true rule of 'stand-alone episodes MUST exist'. And so we join our main cast members (and a few 'blue shirts') as they go on a completely self-contained underwater basic adventure (we'll call it a SCUBA for short.)

Still, despite being a foolish move development-wise, as an episode on its own this SCUBA has some wonderful elements that make it a story I enjoy enough to place it in my top 5. Though it's not heavy on Sparky in a general sense (John's not running around saving Elizabeth by the end of the episode) it does have some great Sparky moments and a kinda cool storyline that's a little different from episodes we've seen before.

And what perhaps makes this most special for me--this is the last 'fun' episode we get before the maelstrom. One last chance to see Elizabeth and John flirt, one last chance to have Elizabeth adventuring with the group--one last chance to enjoy Elizabeth fully involved without a grave ending in store.

This is our last chance to enjoy no-strings-attached-Elizabeth as one of the family, period.

Submersion

Our story begins on a humorous note--a puddle jumper full of scientists and led by Team SGA with one addition--Elizabeth has joined them.

It should be noted that this episode was produced by Carl Binder and written by our old friend Ken Cuperus, who wrote "Common Ground" and "The Ark". We've mentioned before that Cuperus has a good head on his shoulders for drama, and "Submersion" is no exception. But he lightens up a little at times for "Submersion" and even gives us one of our greatest Sparky moments. While I'd not label Cuperus a Sparky fan, I do think he, like Binder, understands the chemistry of the characters.

Everyone in the jumper is quite restless, having been sandwiched together for a while looking for a geothermal drilling platform. The long, hot ride is starting to wear on the nerves of everyone.

Teyla's line here is cute..."Shotgun? Is it?"

One thing that Cuperus does well is keep all elements of the story bound together--small threads that don't seem important weave back into the main story later on. One to point out here is Rodney's brush-off of meek scientist Graydon, who he inadvertently insults by confusing him with another scientist named Grayson. It's a joke at first, but it has a deadly twist for viewers.

I'll take the time to point out Sparky fun in this episode, particularly in the first half, where it happens more. John is his usual nonchalant self, and takes a moment to address Elizabeth, who is sitting beside him. I love the exchange between them, and if you happen to take a look at Teyla and Ronon, they're smirking at this exchange, too.

SHEPPARD (to Elizabeth): Well, still glad you came?
                                (Elizabeth, who had been lost in thought until now, jerks out of her reverie.)
                                WEIR: Oh, sorry. (Sarcastically) I was preoccupied thinking about the geothermal drilling platform.
                                SHEPPARD: Shouldn't take us much longer. We just passed the thermal layer and I'm getting some readings a couple of hundred feet ahead.
                                WEIR: If we did manage to find an alternate and potentially limitless power supply, that would make even this insufferably long search seem worthwhile.

Platform ahoy and as the eager scientists crowd in to take a look at the newly discovered station, we're treated to a taste of what they're about to come up against. I'm always curious as to why Cuperus lets us in early as to the Wraith Queen. Were they afraid we wouldn't be able to figure out what's going on? Or was it just to ramp up suspense?

I always get a mental image of parents and their kids--or a school field trip.

Elizabeth and Rodney focus on getting the station up and running, while John, Teyla and Ronon start to explore. I mentioned that Cuperus lightens up here, and he seems to have a really great sense of John. We were treated to that funny exchange between Elizabeth and John in the jumper, and here we get another funny moment between Ronon and John.

TEYLA: Have we not been down this hallway before?
                                DEX: Every corridor looks the same.
                                SHEPPARD: Don't worry. I have an uncanny sense of direction.
                                DEX: I think she's right. We've been down this way before.
                                SHEPPARD: That's impossible. We took a left, and a left, and then a right.
                                DEX: Hey, look, all I'm saying is ...

McKay's plans for getting the station at full capacity are slowed by a warning from Teyla--she senses a Wraith presence. Here is where Cuperus stumbles just a bit for me. Since we already know that there really is a Wraith nearby, Rodney's complaining over the reliability of Teyla's gift gets REALLY annoying. We know Teyla's right--so why does Cuperus keep Rodney going on and on?

In any case, Rodney is overriden by Elizabeth in what I think is one of the lovelier pieces of camera work in SGA. The film geek in me really likes this dual shot moment of Elizabeth finishing Teyla's thought, not just for the Elizabeth fan in me, but also for the neat camera cut and the way Torri says her line:

TEYLA: If there is no Wraith, then there will be no mind for me to link with, and therefore no risk. But if there *is* a Wraith nearby ...
                                WEIR: ... we need to know.

Great shot of Torri.

More John humor as Teyla prepares to immerse herself meditatively and reach out for the Wraith. I do like how Elizabeth is here with them during this scene; it reinforces her concern for Teyla--part of that friendship thing again.

SHEPPARD: Just to be sure ...
                                DEX: It's already set to stun.

A few tense filled moments, and Teyla seems to awaken fine and declares herself wrong in judgment.

The only thing is--do they always have to make it so obvious to us that something's wrong? I mean, does a Teyla who responds like this:

Are not the eyes and the tone of voice a dead giveaway?

Really look okay??

Apparently her team she does, because the group is ready to head on their merry way. And as they do, we're are treated to a moment that should be in the TOP FIVE OF EVERY SPARKY'S TOP MOMENTS LIST. The short of it is--it's time to split up. John makes a suggestion, and every Sparky in the world squees about it.

WEIR: ...Well, we have a lot of exploring to do.
                                SHEPPARD: "We"?
                                WEIR: Until Rodney delivers the preliminary status report, I'm all yours. Put me to work, Colonel.
                                SHEPPARD: Alright, let's make up some time. Break into teams.
                                Ronon, you're with Teyla. Elizabeth, you're with me – or I'm with you, however you wanna put it. (Ronon hands him a rifle and he walks off, Elizabeth following him.)
                                WEIR: Either [ee-ther] way ... or either [eye-ther] way.

What makes this more fun for me is that this SCUBA moment becomes a Scooby moment. As in Scooby-Doo. As in the old joke about Fred and Daphne. If you don't know it, click the spoiler tag:

Spoiler:

In the cartoon Scooby-Doo, a longtime running joke (and bit of adult humor) is how often Fred & Daphne split apart from the rest of the group, leaving Velma, Shaggy and Scooby to explore together. As Scooby is the centerpiece of the series, we always see what his group is up to, but Fred & Daphne are left alone for long periods of time without anyone know what they're really up to. This happens more in the 2nd season of the original cartoon, but it's there, so much so that some of the 'Doo fan base considers this one of the longest running gags of the series. It's hinted at in the movies, as well as in a Johnny Bravo episode where the cast makes an appearance.

So, considering how close to Freddy and Daphne John and Elizabeth are, consider this our 'Scooby' moment of the series.

So, Freddy & Daphne John and Elizabeth go one way, while Ronon and Teyla head down the other. And it's here where we get to see Teyla start acting very strange.

It may just be me, but I think Cuperus may have been having fun with the shippers this episode. We have the Sparky moment I just mentioned, and now here we have a sort of uncomfortable Spanky moment where the hypnotized Teyla puts her arm on Ronon's shoulder.

DEX: What's wrong?
                                TEYLA: Nothing. Why?
                                DEX: You just haven't said a word.
                                TEYLA: Have I not?
                                DEX: No.
                                TEYLA: Has my silence made you uncomfortable?
                                DEX: No. (Teyla walks closer to him.)
                                TEYLA: Your friendship is very important to me. I would hate to do anything that made you ... (she puts her hand on his shoulder) ...uncomfortable.
                                DEX: OK. Well ... (he looks at her hand on his shoulder) ... good.
                                And then, well...OUCH.

The lights go out...and we're all left in the dark...

Coming Up...the situation goes from grave to, well, graver; a truly bad@$$ villainess makes her appearance, and Cuperus continues to keep it real--and risky.
                                Last edited by Eri13; 04 August 2009, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X