Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Hee! It so should've been a cute nickname! Just imagine the subtext mileage they could've gotten out of that!

Hell, whatever he says to her, period, always sounds sexy.

You're right, it is totally different with her. There's a level of closeness and familiarity with her that we don't see him have with anyone else; Rodney probably comes the closest, but it's more of a sibling rivalry-like dynamic.

I remember the general reaction to TMC too, and it still gives me a thrill. We're not alone! We're not crazy! We're not making it up!
    That was probably the best part of TMC, IMO--the other viewer response. While I never thought Sparkies 'crazy' in terms of their love of the ship (as a canon-lover, I, like many, always thought their comfort level foreshadowed potential romance and I just loved their interactions and chemistry, no matter what the situation was to be) I did appreciate that non-shippers saw something. Since they're not invested in romance, to have them turn a sort of unglazed eye upon the characters and go 'jeez, having Elizabeth back makes me realize how much she did fit in, and how well she interacted with the rest of the crew' was just so gratifying. Like people finally waking up--too late, unfortunately, but enough to realize that the 'might-have-beens' really might have been good.

It was sort of the same thing as Ghost in the Machine. Even without Torri, so many people noticed the reactions of John and the others over the character of Elizabeth it was really heartening. I'm not really a 'super-shipper' but having objective fans say the same things about John and Elizabeth we do adds such a great weight to the argument that they were good together or would have been good together.
    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
      That was probably the best part of TMC, IMO--the other viewer response. While I never thought Sparkies 'crazy' in terms of their love of the ship (as a canon-lover, I, like many, always thought their comfort level foreshadowed potential romance and I just loved their interactions and chemistry, no matter what the situation was to be) I did appreciate that non-shippers saw something. Since they're not invested in romance, to have them turn a sort of unglazed eye upon the characters and go 'jeez, having Elizabeth back makes me realize how much she did fit in, and how well she interacted with the rest of the crew.'

It was sort of the same thing as Ghost in the Machine. Even without Torri, so many people noticed the reactions of John and the others over the character of Elizabeth it was really heartening. I'm not really a 'super-shipper' but having objective fans say the same things about John and Elizabeth we do adds such a great weight to the argument that they were good together or would have been good together.
      Absolutely true. One time a few posters even complained that Sparky was too "in your face". LOL I think that may have been the end of Coup d'Etat and the desk sitting. One thing for sure Sparky was there and it was natural and not contrived. And best of all Joe and Torri didn't look like they were being tortured when they did a scene together.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

That was probably the best part of TMC, IMO--the other viewer response. While I never thought Sparkies 'crazy' in terms of their love of the ship (as a canon-lover, I, like many, always thought their comfort level foreshadowed potential romance and I just loved their interactions and chemistry, no matter what the situation was to be) I did appreciate that non-shippers saw something. Since they're not invested in romance, to have them turn a sort of unglazed eye upon the characters and go 'jeez, having Elizabeth back makes me realize how much she did fit in, and how well she interacted with the rest of the crew' was just so gratifying. Like people finally waking up--too late, unfortunately, but enough to realize that the 'might-have-beens' really might have been good.

And that, I think, is really the key to why the idea of Sparky works for so many people, whether they're shippers or more general fans; that their friendship and working relationship was portrayed as being so comfortable with each other that it seems perfectly logical that at some point they might dip their toes into Something More Lake.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        Absolutely true. One time a few posters even complained that Sparky was too "in your face". LOL I think that may have been the end of Coup d'Etat and the desk sitting. One thing for sure Sparky was there and it was natural and not contrived. And best of all Joe and Torri didn't look like they were being tortured when they did a scene together.
        LMAO at the torture comment! And "In your face?" Huh, kinda glad I wasn't here for that. *snerks* Compared to the very positive reactions from non-shipping fans to major Sparky moments like Adrift/Lifeline, TMC and GitM, an impartial observer would have to conclude that such complaints were a load of cow manure.

Sparky: Made from 100% all natural romantic chemistry, with no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives. Meets and exceeds daily dietary requirements for shipping nutrition.
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

SR, thank you for the hilarious story
          So cute how John was the hero and Liz always ended up as the damsel in distress
          And the end was cute

Sparky: Made from 100% all natural romantic chemistry, with no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives. Meets and exceeds daily dietary requirements for shipping nutrition.
          We so should make this the official Sparky disclaimer

Sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
            Sounds good to me! Hmm, maybe I should add it to my sig...
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Oh, and another thing...

T-minus 22 hours and 45 minutes to this week's post-a-thon, featuring Season 3's The Ark (yay!) and Sunday (eek!)!

Comment

I have a vid request for all you vid junkies out there...

the tune is -Alannis Morissete, Uninvited

it just oozes UST for John and Elizabeth and how they 'think' they can't be involved.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
                  SR, thank you for the hilarious story
                  So cute how John was the hero and Liz always ended up as the damsel in distress
                  And the end was cute

Thanks. The fic was a labor of love.

And ITA on the official Sparky disclaimer.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                    And Brain Damage part two:

Spoiler:
                    What happened next was a thankfully brief romp through Sherwood Forest in green tights where he rescued Maid Elizabeth from a Sheriff of Nottingham who looked suspiciously like Oberoth and got to see Ronon as Little John, also in tights. Then this was followed by a cruise on a pirate ship which was marginally better because cutlasses were involved. This time he got to shove a monster with Wraith hands and an octopus head overboard before releasing Elizabeth from the bonds that held her tightly lashed to the wheel. The sight of her soaking wet in the clinging shreds of her dark red gown almost took his breath away before he kissed her senseless.

When next he regained consciousness, John found himself alone except for Elizabeth who had fallen asleep with her head on the edge of his bed.

Just as he was reaching out the hand not attached to wires and tubes, unable to resist the lure of her tumbled brown curls, she lifted her head and sleepy green eyes met his.

“Hey?” It came out as a question because at this point he was never sure in what reality he had landed.

“Hey, you're back.”

“I think so.” John looked around and seeing the familiar setting of the Atlantis infirmary, relaxed a bit.

It must have been late because the lights had been lowered and a curtain pulled around his bed for privacy. The room was hushed with only the occasional beep from his monitoring equipment to break the silence.

Elizabeth straightened and gave him a quick once over. Seeming satisfied, she smiled a genuine smile and busied herself smoothing his covers. “You finished playing dashing hero for a while?” It was an offhand question.

John blanched. “Just how much talking did I do?”

“Enough.” She didn't seem to want to explain and he let her get away with it.

John was too relieved to be relatively alert and pain free to push his luck by engaging in a prolonged retrospective of his adventures while unconscious.

“You were there. A lot,” he couldn't help clarifying, but he had a feeling she already knew that part.

“So I gathered.” She had finished smoothing all the wrinkles out of the covers and clasped her hands in front of her to still them. Her eyes met his again and then slid away.

John looked at the ceiling. “Tell McKay my brain is just fine.”

Elizabeth didn't answer but after a long heartbeat, John felt her hand sneak its way over his. He flexed his fingers and entwined them with hers allowing the warmth of her palm to seep into his skin.

Her hair tickled his face when she leaned over him and touched her lips to his. As kisses go, it was not the greatest kiss of all time or even the second greatest. But to John's way of thinking, it was better than all the concussion-induced fantasies he had experienced while unconscious. Because this one was real.

Awww SR That rocked.. totally kick started my morning Well done!

Comment

T-minus 16 hours and 15 minutes until The Ark and Sunday!

Comment

I can't make postathon :: cries:: enjoy it without me

Comment

OMG! ok, ok I know you're all going to go 'well duh!" after this, but yeah.

Been watching snippets from Misbegotten, and saw the briefing room scene. Could she be any more balant?! She stared at him for ages! Even I blind person has to admit that! *runs off to watch it again.

! All Aboard The Shipper Train!
                          I Heart ! Proud Member of Thunk For Club!
                          Don't wait for your ship to come in. Swim out to it.

Comment

It's a little my case.
                            I wasn't a shipper at the beginning. I saw a strong bond between them but for me it was friendship. When Torri left the show, I was disappointed but I still watched it. And It was at this moment that I understand that the "thing" between them is not friendship but more. John wasn't the same. I didn't immediately made the link with Weir. I thought it was a desire of producers to make the show more dark. But when I saw TMC and GITM I realized that if John is so sad and dark, it's because of the "disappearance" of Elizabeth. I began to remember scenes between them in the first seasons and I realized that it was obvious there was something between them. For example TRW, 38 minutes, CG,....Yes I am slow to understand things.lol
                            Voilà, I told all my life again. *Stop talking Lucie*
                            sigpic
                            Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by nogigglingmajor View Post

Been watching snippets from Misbegotten, and saw the briefing room scene. Could she be any more balant?! She stared at him for ages! Even I blind person has to admit that! *runs off to watch it again.
                              Even in the transcript is written.
                              WEIR: I'd just like to say that seeing you now, sitting across from me, looking at your faces ... (she pauses, gazing at John more than the others) ... it makes me feel very ...

But I can't say anything to you like "well, duh" because I have seen nothing the first time and I'm not blind even if I'm starting to believe it because I missed many things about this ship.
                              sigpic
                              Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

T-minus 16 hours and 15 minutes until The Ark and Sunday!
                                Sorry but I can't make it today. We're having a party at my house and I kinda have to be there.

Originally posted by nogigglingmajor View Post

Yeah, that was quite a moment. And I remember thinking at the time that I couldn't believe they would be so obvious. It gave me a lot of hope for S3 but obviously I was too optimistic. I think in the long run though between scenes such as that, TRW, Adrift, Lifeline, TMC and GitM we really came out sort of okay shipwise. We can forever say that John is grieving for her and if at some point in a movie he finds someone else, hopefully we can accept it gracefully. Depending on who it is of course.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X