Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
    well he's a question for you i know ive asked before why did john go to the black bdus in the first place? and two) i noticed that in season 4 rodney called John "john" but in season 5 he went back to sheppard. whats up with that?
    I couldn't answer about the uniforms...but I don't think Rodney switched up. I think he calls John "John" only in the moments where it seriously counts. One of the first times I remember him doing it is in Adrift, when Rodney is trying to convince Sheppard to let him reactivate Elizabeth's nanites...

McKAY: John, we are losing her here. Keller and her team have done everything they can. If I can reprogramme the nanites to help repair her body without trying to take over her brain, then ...
    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
      well he's a question for you i know ive asked before why did john go to the black bdus in the first place? and two) i noticed that in season 4 rodney called John "john" but in season 5 he went back to sheppard. whats up with that?
      I don't know about in the first place but JM said on his blog that JF liked the black BDU's because they were comfortable and wanted to stay with them. Also I think in an interview in the Stargate magazine the wardrobe lady said JF had definite ideas about his outfits and they pretty much left him alone. I know he hated the leather jacket and only wore it a couple of times. Obviously, he doesn't know how hot he looks in it.

And on the John/Rodney question. Remember in The Shrine, Rodney called him John. It was as others have said, in emotional moments. I really don't think the last name thing means much. It's mostly a military/guy thing and just becomes habit. Rodney was probably copying the way John referred to him and others. Same with John and Elizabeth. They tended to call each other by the last name in front of others or sometimes just by habit. Especially like in The Ark when talking about, not to, the person. *shrugs* I never thought it had much significance.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        I don't know about in the first place but JM said on his blog that JF liked the black BDU's because they were comfortable and wanted to stay with them. Also I think in an interview in the Stargate magazine the wardrobe lady said JF had definite ideas about his outfits and they pretty much left him alone. I know he hated the leather jacket and only wore it a couple of times. Obviously, he doesn't know how hot he looks in it.
        Yeah, as I recall, none of the cast was particularly happy with how the old uniforms fit, the jackets were really too warm, etc. (Remember that funny crack that McKay and Clone!McKay made in This Mortal Coil about the way the sleeves on the old uniforms fit? Hilarious!)

I can definitely understand if JoeF wanted to bring Sheppard's uniform in line with a more military look (ala SG-1, where everyone wore BDUs)... and it looks damn good on him. By that same token, I can see why he nixed the leather jacket... after all, the real US military doesn't go into combat wearing leather jackets, either.

Too bad the costume department wasn't consistent with that line of thinking and other military personnel on Atlantis (like Major Lorne) continued to wear the old uniforms instead of BDUs; the civilian uniform change would've been the perfect opportunity to get the military contingent as a whole back into BDUs. *grumbles*
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

thanks for the information u guys were really helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
            Yeah, as I recall, none of the cast was particularly happy with how the old uniforms fit, the jackets were really too warm, etc. (Remember that funny crack that McKay and Clone!McKay made in This Mortal Coil about the way the sleeves on the old uniforms fit? Hilarious!)

I can definitely understand if JoeF wanted to bring Sheppard's uniform in line with a more military look (ala SG-1, where everyone wore BDUs)... and it looks damn good on him. By that same token, I can see why he nixed the leather jacket... after all, the real US military doesn't go into combat wearing leather jackets, either.

Too bad the costume department wasn't consistent with that line of thinking and other military personnel on Atlantis (like Major Lorne) continued to wear the old uniforms instead of BDUs; the civilian uniform change would've been the perfect opportunity to get the military contingent as a whole back into BDUs. *grumbles*
            Yeah, JF seemed very conscientious about accuracy. I recall in a commentary he said something about insisting that Sumner's dogtags be in Shep's room and that he had to essentially chase down the props people. He seemed to really buck the pretty boy look they tried to give him. But if you've ever seen how he dresses in RL, it fits. LOL

I wasn't very impressed with this wardrobe dept. The Teyla maternity wardrobe was the last straw. Poor Rachel.
            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Hey all actually i have never been here before, and i never was a big fan of Atlantis but i started to watch again the episodes and i seem to be very interested on those and i'm starting to get addicted while i'm watching it looks like there is a different relationship between Sheppard and Weir in the first seasons they are not just simple collegues but still looks like Teyla is in the middle of something, i still don't know although i prefer Sheppard and Weir better than Teyla so i did a sig around these days and i thought i could share it with you, feel free to snurch it it is not a big art but still is my first ship in Atlantis and sorry if i'm interrupting any dicussion

sigpic

Comment

I finally finished the next chapter of my Elizabeth/Sparky fic - Reclaiming Her Life: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4824403/...iming_Her_Life

Doesn't fit the topic of the day but ...
                DDC

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel-Kree View Post
                  Hey all actually i have never been here before, and i never was a big fan of Atlantis but i started to watch again the episodes and i seem to be very interested on those and i'm starting to get addicted while i'm watching it looks like there is a different relationship between Sheppard and Weir in the first seasons they are not just simple collegues but still looks like Teyla is in the middle of something, i still don't know although i prefer Sheppard and Weir better than Teyla so i did a sig around these days and i thought i could share it with you, feel free to snurch it it is not a big art but still is my first ship in Atlantis and sorry if i'm interrupting any dicussion

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/q...gs/forever.jpg
                  Welcome, welcome, and that sig is lovely! I love the pictures you chose. While I enjoy really amazing blends, I love the simple colors, font and text you use there.

Comment

Yeah, JF seemed very conscientious about accuracy. I recall in a commentary he said something about insisting that Sumner's dogtags be in Shep's room and that he had to essentially chase down the props people. He seemed to really buck the pretty boy look they tried to give him. But if you've ever seen how he dresses in RL, it fits. LOL

I wasn't very impressed with this wardrobe dept. The Teyla maternity wardrobe was the last straw. Poor Rachel.
                    I wish he'd chased down that mint jar pot, too.

I always thought Joe was the only one who was dressed great the entire time. Some of the others had crazy wardrobe choices. *tries not to think of the 38 Minutes outfit on Weir*

Comment

do you remember which commentary it was SR?

Comment

*snickers* He straddles the line of pretty boy vs. scruffy boy so well...

Gah, Rachel should've taken the costume department out back and fed 'em to a wood chipper for that travesty!

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                        I wish he'd chased down that mint jar pot, too.
                        You and me both. Then again, maybe he tried to. And kept getting put off, in the same vein of what he described in Bedford about the producers not listening to him anymore. *shrugs*

I always thought Joe was the only one who was dressed great the entire time. Some of the others had crazy wardrobe choices. *tries not to think of the 38 Minutes outfit on Weir*
                        Hell, all of the 38 Minutes outfits... *shudders*
                        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel-Kree View Post

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/q...gs/forever.jpg
                          Welcome to the Sparky thread, we're glad to have you! And that is a beautiful sig banner!

Comment

Honestly, as you may have noticed, I haven't been looking forward to the next two episode recaps. Not my favorite episodes, and each one winds us a leetle closer to my least favorite episode in terms of story--First Strike.
                            Oh god, that episode I will not name is up next, isn't it!? And First Strike -- blegh!

But we also get a little Carson/Teyla, which is sweet, and another fun Sparky moment as Elizabeth pokes at John just a little for his crazy decisions.
                            Yay! I just love the last double-ship scene in this episode.

Hmmm, Eri, I might have to watch this episode again. I've only seen it twice and not for awhile and I think your review here may bring about some new appreciation to this episode. I think most people may be even underrating it. You pointed out a lot of good elements in it.

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                            On the J/T note. One of the things why that ship never worked for me (besides the fact that they simply lack on screen chemistry that translates into mutual attraction) is the fact that affection for someone, if it's deep and genuine, doesn't work like an "on/off" switch. If you like someone, you like them and it shows. Period.
                            This is one of my biggest problems with Sheyla as a ship that has a lot of screentime together. First, any real hint-hint romantic feeling they have is displayed only rarely at best, sporadically at worst. I know even the Sheyla shippers have been annoyed by the fact that one moment John acts like Teyla is a close friend and then the very next is ignoring her. It's inconsistancy. Flip on; she's his best friend. Flip off; they hardly know each other.

Sparky as a relationship has the same tone whenever it's on screen. That's consistant, which I'm surprised with by the SGA writers, but it could be JF and TH. (Everyone has a part in writing Sparky onto the screen.) But the way they act towards each other doesn't flip-flop between episodes or writers like John/Teyla did. This was troubling and confusing the first time I watched SGA. I was trying to see Sheyla because I heard that was the intended ship but I was kind of left baffled because things were so sporadic.

Like others have mentioned, it has been demonstrated how even though John will save any one of his family, he's willing to go an extra mile for Elizabeth. I think "The Real World" also shows a special connection between them. How Elizabeth 'saw' and 'communicated' with John is amazing.

Okay, onto Teyla -- I hate how she's pulled into this damsel in distress role so often. And yes I will freely say that I think in part it's because of J/T ship. To clarify, I'm all fine with one person getting injured and I love it when the whole hurt/comfort thing goes on, but sometimes it's ridiculous. Like in The Ark. Shouldn't John be in that bed? Maybe John should get injured and be out of commission.

Also it bugs me because Teyla, even though she can be caught off guard, is a warrior. She's a hunter too, so she should be very aware of what goes around her. It's more likely John would be caught off-guard. Which brings up the question: Has Teyla ever saved John? Okay I guess in Prodigal in S5 but that was more of a Teyla vs adversary moment overall. (Avoiding spoilers.)

Comment

the michael vs john fight was awesome but teyla shouldn't have been in the fight it should've been Sheppard going toe to toe with michael cause u never did see sheppard fight like that before.

Comment

Someone asked for some action?

It's in the SGU forum, but here's a bit of Sparky-related post I did regarding character development and how SGA is ridiculously driven by a reset button.

Comment

Working...
                                X