No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so we got carl binder (pro sparky) and Martin Gero a John/Teyla Fan. battle of the writers.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
      so we got carl binder (pro sparky) and Martin Gero a John/Teyla Fan. battle of the writers.
      I'd say Binder won that war. He got even non-shippers thinking pro-Sparky with Ghost in the Machine. Gero, on the other hand, has only made shippers and non-shippers alike want to throw stuff at their TVs.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Does anyone know if Martin Gero is still working for the Stargate franchise? I hope he is gone.
        Last edited by Flowerbud; 29 January 2009, 06:45 PM.

Comment

He is gone I am happy and did a little dance when I heard that (sorry I was just lurking and saw that and I had to share the good news)
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dragongirl View Post
            He is gone I am happy and did a little dance when I heard that (sorry I was just lurking and saw that and I had to share the good news)
            Terrific news!

Comment

Oh yeah continue. i just read it and it was good. i mean really good. continue on Kris.
              I second that. It's different and very interesting.

Originally posted by dragongirl View Post
              *joins you in the happy dance* But so is Alan McCullough and I'm less jubilant about that. You know being happy about this makes me sad because after all, MG wrote the hug. And some of the best overall episodes of the whole series. Sadly, he just refused to see the Sparky goodness. But happily, he didn't get his way.

You can lurk anytime.
              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                I second that. It's different and very interesting.

*joins you in the happy dance* But so is Alan McCullough and I'm less jubilant about that. You know being happy about this makes me sad because after all, MG wrote the hug. And some of the best overall episodes of the whole series. Sadly, he just refused to see the Sparky goodness. But happily, he didn't get his way.

You can lurk anytime.
                MG wrote the hug? Wow. I wonder why he tried so hard to squash Sparky in Sunday. It was probably just getting too big to be denied by the end of season 3 and the hug of season 2 was supposed to be more a "Hail the conquering hero" from the boss lady type of hug, but the director, editors, and music played it more romantically. And of course, the natural, free-flowing Sparky chemistry that flies off the screen been the actors.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerbud View Post
                  MG wrote the hug? Wow. I wonder why he tried so hard to squash Sparky in Sunday. It was probably just getting too big to be denied by the end of season 3 and the hug of season 2 was supposed to be more a "Hail the conquering hero" from the boss lady type of hug, but the director, editors, and music played it more romantically. And of course, the natural, free-flowing Sparky chemistry that flies off the screen been the actors.
                  It's always been a mystery. At the time there was such a commotion (I believe we shut down the forum for a time), MG actually came on GW and explained himself by saying "sometimes a hug is just a hug.". We oh pleased him all the way back to his office. It was explained as her just being glad he was alive yadda yadda. Noone and I mean NOONE at Bridge would ever admit there might have been or could have been a relationship between them. Odd. It seems to me when a large portion of your audience is tickled by a plot twist you would jump on it, take credit for brilliant writing and go with it. You'd think they had bet money or something. I chalk it up to be too rigid to see a good thing when it lands in your lap. But that may just be me.

And as recent as the last Comic Con, Gero was still saying they were going to explore Sheyla in S5. I guess he hadn't gotten the memo at that time. lol But seriously, would one of us give up on Sparky if our fellow writers were pushing another ship? Not easily. Unless they were our boss.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                    It's always been a mystery. At the time there was such a commotion (I believe we shut down the forum for a time), MG actually came on GW and explained himself by saying "sometimes a hug is just a hug.". We oh pleased him all the way back to his office. It was explained as her just being glad he was alive yadda yadda. Noone and I mean NOONE at Bridge would ever admit there might have been or could have been a relationship between them. Odd. It seems to me when a large portion of your audience is tickled by a plot twist you would jump on it, take credit for brilliant writing and go with it. You'd think they had bet money or something. I chalk it up to be too rigid to see a good thing when it lands in your lap. But that may just be me.

And as recent as the last Comic Con, Gero was still saying they were going to explore Sheyla in S5. I guess he hadn't gotten the memo at that time. lol But seriously, would one of us give up on Sparky if our fellow writers were pushing another ship? Not easily. Unless they were our boss.
                    They were definitely too rigid, almost as if they were afraid to admit they were wrong perhaps.

How Gero could say that about Sheyla in S5 defies belief. He would have destroyed the characters of John and Teyla. I suppose baby daddy Kanaan would conveniently die, but then why create this plot device in the first place. TPTB don't want to deal with parenthood or have tender family scenes and secondly, M&M want Shep to be able to be a Kirk every now and then which clashes with being a good parent (cheating on the mother of your child doesn't look good and heroic).

Comment

They were definitely too rigid, almost as if they were afraid to admit they were wrong perhaps.

How Gero could say that about Sheyla in S5 defies belief. He would have destroyed the characters of John and Teyla. I suppose baby daddy Kanaan would conveniently die, but then why create this plot device in the first place. TPTB don't want to deal with parenthood or have tender family scenes and secondly, M&M want Shep to be able to be a Kirk every now and then which clashes with being a good parent (cheating on the mother of your child doesn't look good and heroic).
                      Or at the very least, Mullie didn't want Shep to look like a homewrecker, for which we are all quite grateful.

So, Gero's out? Oh well. He may have given us such gems as The Storm/The Eye and the epic Hug of Sparky!Squee, but his irrational fixation on a ship that had been officially killed by the showrunners was a big no-no.
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

It's so good mullie didn't let him have his way, because it would be the end of John. End of Teyla too, but they almost managed to do that making her semi - invisible, because these guys seem to think woman's life ends after she has a kid.

I was thinking about ships and came up with a scenario that could, to me, make Sheyla look interesting, even convincing - if it was done like in "The Last Samurai" - you know, the movie with Tom Cruise (one of the rare movies where I enjoy his acting. He's really good there). I love the quiet tension between him and that woman, and how they're slowly getting closer to each other, because the culture won't let them any other way. I think that would have worked better than the hero meets the girl and they instantly fall in love scenario PTB wanted to push on us. However I doubt these guys would be capable of writing something as delicate as TLS "ship".

Here's a video from the movie, in case you're interested to see.... I truly loved it. TLS music vid
                        I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                          It's so good mullie didn't let him have his way, because it would be the end of John. End of Teyla too, but they almost managed to do that making her semi - invisible, because these guys seem to think woman's life ends after she has a kid.

I was thinking about ships and came up with a scenario that could, to me, make Sheyla look interesting, even convincing - if it was done like in "The Last Samurai" - you know, the movie with Tom Cruise (one of the rare movies where I enjoy his acting. He's really good there). I love the quiet tension between him and that woman, and how they're slowly getting closer to each other, because the culture won't let them any other way. I think that would have worked better than the hero meets the girl and they instantly fall in love scenario PTB wanted to push on us. However I doubt these guys would be capable of writing something as delicate as TLS "ship".

Here's a video from the movie, in case you're interested to see.... I truly loved it. TLS music vid
                          Oh, goodness yes, a 'delicate' treatment of Sheyla, like in TLS, would've been far more believable and different from usual ship on TV than the heavy-handed hot and cold schtick that TPTW kept pulling with them.

Comment

wait martin gero is not going to work on Universe? how the hell did that happen?

Comment

Or cheating on the father of your child with a teammate. LOL

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                              Oh, goodness yes, a 'delicate' treatment of Sheyla, like in TLS, would've been far more believable and different from usual ship on TV than the heavy-handed hot and cold schtick that TPTW kept pulling with them.
                              I was 99.9% convinced after S&R that they were going to kill off Kanaan and go with Sheyla. I saw John stepping up as a de facto babydaddy and from there they would gradually ease into a relationship. And *looks around ready to run* I think it would have worked. Nobody but shippers of either of them with other people would have protested and seeing him with that baby would have melted ovaries the world over.

I was very surprised when they actually grew apart and virtually didn't communicate after that. Were we supposed to believe John was still jealous and pouting? Handling his heartbreak? What? It wasn't clear. And thank the stars above for that. I didn't trust TPTB to make the right moral decision and they surprised me this one time. What was clear, however, at least to me was that Teyla and Kanaan were in a real relationship and raising their child together. He was not just the baby sitter. He was the father. He became the father in the traditional way like they taught us in Biology. *snicker* And when JM called him the babysitter on his blog, he was responding sarcastically to some posters who just don't get it. That was easy to figure out.

Now we won't even discuss the idea that John still has feelings for Teyla and she him and they would actually have an affair at this point or that she would toss Kanaan to the curb. No, we won't talk about that insanity. Besides, it's over. Done. Complete. No John and Teyla romance. Yay. I'll stop now.

wait martin gero is not going to work on Universe? how the hell did that happen?
                              Don't know. I do know that MG made a movie and JM said he and Alan were pursuing other opportunities. But beyond that no statement has been made that I know of.
                              sigpic

Comment

wow why would John Be Jealous? i mean if anything he had to worry about what finding out that elizabeth was dead (At that time).

Comment

Working...
                                X