Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pajus View Post
    You are evil and good at the same time. I wouldn't be able to think of that.

How about team Sheppard stopping Michael and then expose the remaining humans to the Hoffan drug to stop the Wraith as well
    I can imagine him doing that. Remeber, John is not evil per se. But under certain circumstances he is very capable of doing very bad things. I want to write a story where I would totally, completely ruin him.
    I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
      I can imagine him doing that. Remeber, John is not evil per se. But under certain circumstances he is very capable of doing very bad things. I want to write a story where I would totally, completely ruin him.
      You can make him do something that will make the USAF suspicious and then use the List of charges I gave you for a nice little court martial story

Edit: You are one evil psychologist (and I've used this property of yours to my own ends in one story)

Comment

Whoopsie I forgot: SR that was a great vid. It's sad to see how John became sad and tired during this passed year, and we the sparkies know the reason for it.
        He did become quite world weary, didn't he? You really see that when you make clips for vids. Even his shoulders are more slumped. Okay, we know JF said he was tired from all the traveling but he's a good enough actor that the adrenal rush from being in character should make the difference. It was John who was tired, and it never shows more than in TLM
        Spoiler:
        where lots of fans, not just us shippers, have said that his reactions to hearing about everybody dying were just seriously off.

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
        It wasn't Mallozzi - it was Martin Gero. A fan reported that he said it at the Vancouver Convention. Here's the thread.
        Oh thank God. Bless you. I thought I was developing early onset Alzheimer's. Does this mean I read all that blog for NOTHING? SON OF A *****!

Now I am going to revive that gene thread I think. This needs to be discussed more.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

SR post a link to that thread here please.
          sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by justhere1971 View Post
            SR post a link to that thread here please.
            It's in Killdeer's last post. I just wrote a long post over there.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
              It wasn't Mallozzi - it was Martin Gero. A fan reported that he said it at the Vancouver Convention. Here's the thread.
              Brad Wright: But that contradicts the laws of thermodynamics!

Martin Gero: Laws are made to be broken!

Pajus: The Darwin awards webpage is full of people like you, Gero!

Comment

You can make him do something that will make the USAF suspicious and then use the List of charges I gave you for a nice little court martial story

Edit: You are one evil psychologist (and I've used this property of yours to my own ends in one story)
                It won't be a court martial story - that would hurt him, but I want him to be hurt more, so it has to be more personal, meaning, connected to the people he cares the most about. Yes, I'm evil - you noticed it quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                  » That is just ... utter crap. I believe it was a woman who wrote, or at least came up with the story for Poisoning the Well. It was an excellent episode that relied on emotions and morality rather than special effects and cheap laughs. It wasn't a "fluffy" story either. The fact that the PTB rely so little - or, more accurately, deny female imput is disappointing to me as a female viewer.

» I like action (except space battles) and humour, but I would take a poignant story about the characters, morality, emotions, and friendship over that any day, because for me, that comes first and foremost.
                  See, I'm the same, so I don't get the whole 'demographic argument'. I am a female, but I don't neatly fit into any category. I want a hot man, love to watch The Devil Wears Prada (the clothes were so kick***!) but am a huge, AVID fan of sci-fi. And comic book based shows and movies. And 'fantasy' (as in Lord of the Rings/Wheel of Time) fantasy. Those cheapy Sci-Fi movies of the week based around Dragons and princesses are (surprisingly) not lost on me.

I'm not a romantic movie buff. In fact, I stray away from most channels that utilize pinks in their pop-up graphics. Or that have 'snuggle in your sweats and have some tea' themed weekends of movies. No offense to those who love them, but usually the writing just kills me--I can't take it.

Shows like "Supernatural" are my bread and butter--well written, well acted pieces of genius. Count LOST on that list, too. Not that I don't enjoy stuff meant purely for entertainment, but generally I want some depth of story. Sometimes it's enough if there's one really great thing about a show--I love Doctor Who for the characters, for example, and, well, SGA had Torri's portrayal of Weir, which I thought was stellar, even if plot elements and continuity drove me nuts.

Point being, I'm a complex woman. I LIKE SFX and Viz Effects, I love action stuff. But I like story above everything else. I think most people are this way, and therefore the 'demographic' argument is, in general, a sham. But money providers need easy ways to calculate pennies and percentages, so we'll be stuck with classifications until it can be proven otherwise.
                  Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Hey! People! Let's not get sucked into the black hole that is S4 and beyond.

I need your thoughts on dark!John. Try to think of one or more things he could / would be able to do that his friends (Rodney, Teyla, Ronon, Elizabeth) would never forgive him. I have my own ideas about that, but I'd like to hear what other people here think. Yes, it can be sparky related.
                    Hrm...interesting! I like the idea of him feeding people to the Wraith, since he's already done that in a way and it did make the character darker.

Other ideas...

* it might be interesting to see him leaving behind someone he didn't like, and having his team question whether he did it on purpose. John's so anti 'leaving people behind' it would raise questions.

* Not telling them something of vital importance--something that leads to the death of someone else.

* Taking out someone who threatens Elizabeth's position on Atlantis.

» Okay, where the did that statement come from? I can't believe he really said that, or even something remotely along those lines. Throw out the ATA gene, a significant characteristic that Sheppard had since Rising and the whole reason he first was asked to join the expedition! I still cannot believe it. Or wait - I can. Once they kicked out Torri and Paul and didn't even consider bringing them back full-time after the outcry, anything is possible.
                    Whether it was Gero or Mallozzi, it shows that the original aims of Atlantis have been changed. It's a shame, too, because I really enjoyed the 'spin-off' characteristic of Atlantis, in the sense that it could explore more the things brought up in SG-1. In a way, 'un'focusing on the ATA gene is a slap to the original concept, too. It should be considered important, especially if Brad Wright and Rob Cooper are designing a show based around Ancients for the third SG spinoff.

» Being 'Anti' is not a thing to be ashamed of. We have cookies, and lots of fun
                    Y'know, I kinda want a Stinky Sock card because they're cool looking. I drool in envy over Parsindy's because hers has Jensen and Jared on it. *SUPERNATURAL SQUEEEE*

» Joe F is my anti-hero I love how he said in a past interview on GW a few years back how he wasn't one to censor anything he says. Make him showrunner. He knows best, and by far better than Mallozzi, who should stick to food photography.
                    I wasn't entirely convinced that Joe was feeling the losses--I believed he was sad, but I thought more or less that fans were sort of overhyping it. This is the business, after all, and it happens everywhere. But after seeing some of his performances over S4 (not including TLM, which I skipped) I do think he dislikes the changes made and that he does miss Torri and Paul. When is his contract up? It would be interesting to see what he does.

» *sigh* I'm taking a break from the general discussion threads for now. It seems to me that some people express their love for character X by just dissing character Y. Which is something I never do - if I love a character I back it up without dissing another. It gets really infuriating sometimes. There are some people that are pro towards this character I can handle, but ones that will blantantly go around insulting the character to my face are candidates for the ignore list.
                    I left general discussions threads for just that reason. Though I've now developed a very nice 'ignore' list, I got tired of people just stating they 'hate' a character and giving no reason for it. They do it to tick other people off, mostly. When Torri declined S5, I left the general discussion threads because there was no point anymore in speculating to hope. I hang out in Sparky and some of the character threads, the Save Elizabeth thread and a few of the games. It's enough.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                    He did become quite world weary, didn't he? You really see that when you make clips for vids. Even his shoulders are more slumped. Okay, we know JF said he was tired from all the traveling but he's a good enough actor that the adrenal rush from being in character should make the difference. It was John who was tired, and it never shows more than in TLM
                    Spoiler:
                    where lots of fans, not just us shippers, have said that his reactions to hearing about everybody dying were just seriously off.
                    ^snip

Now I am going to revive that gene thread I think. This needs to be discussed more.
                    World weary is a great way to describe him, but it felt awkward, for what I watched, because the writers kept going back to 'good ol' John' in episodes like BAMSR and Travellers--square peg, round hole sorta thing. It should have been a character development across the board understood by everyone, not Joe working that in atop the writers' failure to acknowledge massive change on Atlantis. *headdesk*

The one scene I point to, that just stands out for me, is Rodney and John at the end of BAMSR--

Spoiler:
                    Rodney's about to eliminate Asuras from the Ancient database, and John beams in from a conference he just had with Larrin, and he's all smiles and kinda hunky-dory about stuff. Rodney pushes the button, says something like "well, ####### planet, you've been a pain in the ass and we're glad to be rid of you." John slaps him on the back and they both go off to have dinner or something.

For a second I'm sitting there with my hand raised at the TV, going, "wait...you just erased the planet that essentially screwed Elizabeth over and messed up your entire Atlantis family and all you can say is 'you've been a pain in the ass?' Where's the angst? Where's the Elizabeth reference? What about the fact that Elizabeth died there? WHY DON'T YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THE EMOTIONAL TIES, STUPID WRITERS!!!"

*headDESK*

Anyways, right after that came the cool scene with Elizabeth in her leather jacket and it faded into squeeing. But that scene still hangs with me as sort of the pinnacle of my faded hope that they would do anything to keep the old characters in memory. It died completely with John's episode in S4, but I figured after BAMSR there wouldn't be anything doing, even in that eppy.

Comment

You are evil and good at the same time. I wouldn't be able to think of that.

How about team Sheppard stopping Michael and then expose the remaining humans to the Hoffan drug to stop the Wraith as well
                      'Evil and good.' Hee!

Oooh! I love that idea! Enacting the same sort of scorched earth policy that first the Replicators, then Michael, tried to do to the Wraith would be really nasty! Save the people of Pegasus only to turn around and become their destroyer himself? That's delicious!

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                      Whether it was Gero or Mallozzi, it shows that the original aims of Atlantis have been changed. It's a shame, too, because I really enjoyed the 'spin-off' characteristic of Atlantis, in the sense that it could explore more the things brought up in SG-1. In a way, 'un'focusing on the ATA gene is a slap to the original concept, too. It should be considered important, especially if Brad Wright and Rob Cooper are designing a show based around Ancients for the third SG spinoff.
                      Exactly! You'd think they wouldn't want to piss in the swimming pool because it would screw up the others' plans, but since when has anything that TPTB have done lately make any rational sense?

I wasn't entirely convinced that Joe was feeling the losses--I believed he was sad, but I thought more or less that fans were sort of overhyping it. This is the business, after all, and it happens everywhere. But after seeing some of his performances over S4 (not including TLM, which I skipped) I do think he dislikes the changes made and that he does miss Torri and Paul. When is his contract up? It would be interesting to see what he does.
                      Joe's actually spoken out about his displeasure with the casting changes at a couple of conventions late last year... apparently, at one of those appearances he even went so far as to call the changes a "publicity stunt." He really doesn't pull his punches.

Re: contract renewal... As I recall, everyone who was a regular cast member in Season 1 signed a six-year contract (obviously, Rainbow's was voided when he was cut in Season 2, and Torri's was voided when she was cut at the end of Season 3). So JoeF, Rachel, and DH are all up for contract renewal at the end of Season 6. Dunno what Jason, Jewel or RP might have signed for.

World weary is a great way to describe him, but it felt awkward, for what I watched, because the writers kept going back to 'good ol' John' in episodes like BAMSR and Travellers--square peg, round hole sorta thing. It should have been a character development across the board understood by everyone, not Joe working that in atop the writers' failure to acknowledge massive change on Atlantis. *headdesk*

The one scene I point to, that just stands out for me, is Rodney and John at the end of BAMSR--

Spoiler:
                      Rodney's about to eliminate Asuras from the Ancient database, and John beams in from a conference he just had with Larrin, and he's all smiles and kinda hunky-dory about stuff. Rodney pushes the button, says something like "well, ####### planet, you've been a pain in the ass and we're glad to be rid of you." John slaps him on the back and they both go off to have dinner or something.

For a second I'm sitting there with my hand raised at the TV, going, "wait...you just erased the planet that essentially screwed Elizabeth over and messed up your entire Atlantis family and all you can say is 'you've been a pain in the ass?' Where's the angst? Where's the Elizabeth reference? What about the fact that Elizabeth died there? WHY DON'T YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THE EMOTIONAL TIES, STUPID WRITERS!!!"

*headDESK*

Anyways, right after that came the cool scene with Elizabeth in her leather jacket and it faded into squeeing. But that scene still hangs with me as sort of the pinnacle of my faded hope that they would do anything to keep the old characters in memory. It died completely with John's episode in S4, but I figured after BAMSR there wouldn't be anything doing, even in that eppy.
                      That scene? Pissed me off. I can only guess that TPTB didn't go further and add an actual reference to Elizabeth because they figured, 'well, we're going to see her in the next scene anyway, so why waste time having John and Rodney talk about her?' *shakes head* I am so not impressed.

Why should we, as the audience, give a damn about the characters and what happens to them if we don't see those characters giving a damn about each other? If TPTB can't understand that simple lesson in how to use characterization in GOOD storytelling, then they really do not have the level of competence and creativity necessary to do the jobs they're being paid for. And MGM/SciFi, as the companies that are paying the bills, should fire them for doing such a poor job and replace them with people who can do the job right. *cough*Carl Binder*cough*Joe Flanigan*cough*

Yes, I know many boyz who actually prefer characterization to special effects. Go figure. What's a shame is that the Stargate franchise has never really allowed female input into their overall show. I read Mallozzi mentioned once that they'd had female writers who wrote occasionally but had never really captured what they'd wanted.
                      *cough*Tits-and-*ss*cough*

I don't think they want what they would consider 'fluff' storylines, but the thing is, most females who write for sci-fi don't write 'fluff'. Sera Gamble for Supernatural, for example, writes some awesome stuff for the show--as in death, gore and special effects--but there is always a heart to it, too. They never forget that hard-talkin', ghost whumping twentysomething bad*** boys are people with family issues, too.

Both Stargates could have used that. There are some episodes that have it, but most fall flat--they force feed the emotion rather than let it flow. *shakes head*
                      Yes! That's why I totally don't buy into TPTB's excuse that they're being "realistic" by killing characters off, because then they turn around and run screaming from anything even remotely resembling a mature relationship between two people who love each other. Love and friendship are as much a part of life as death is. By refusing to deal with the one, they diminish the other.

Yep. Bunking with the same like-minded individuals.
                      Yay! Wouldn't be the same without you! We're the last sane people in the fandom, we've got to stick together!

*giggles insanely* Pajus is one of those "boyz" that actually prefer characterisation (and acurrate representations of physics and biology) to special effects.
                      And thank goodness for it! We need to see more guys who want REAL realism to come out and show that TPTB's way of doing things is just dead wrong.

That is just ... utter crap. I believe it was a woman who wrote, or at least came up with the story for Poisoning the Well. It was an excellent episode that relied on emotions and morality rather than special effects and cheap laughs. It wasn't a "fluffy" story either. The fact that the PTB rely so little - or, more accurately, deny female imput is disappointing to me as a female viewer.

I like action (except space battles) and humour, but I would take a poignant story about the characters, morality, emotions, and friendship over that any day, because for me, that comes first and foremost.
                      Well said! At the end of the day, the special effects are just the icing on the cake. It's the cake itself, the characters that we grow to love, that are what really keep us coming back for more.
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Spoiler:

*headDESK*

Ahem,

Spoiler:
                        this is why I don't buy their blabbling when they say they respect the show, characters, actors, continuity, whatever. You're showing someone's life there. In life you have friends. You miss them and mourn them if you lose them in such awful way. You want damn revenge! I bet my teenage students could write better plots with more emotion - true emotion and not juvenile humor! Oh and by the way they just showed how much they care about Elizabeth as character. That's something I don't forgive. That is why I gave up on the show and well pretty much everything that isn't sparky. because sparky is just too good - and even more canon than what they dare to call canon.

Comment

Hrm...interesting! I like the idea of him feeding people to the Wraith, since he's already done that in a way and it did make the character darker.

Other ideas...

* it might be interesting to see him leaving behind someone he didn't like, and having his team question whether he did it on purpose. John's so anti 'leaving people behind' it would raise questions.

* Not telling them something of vital importance--something that leads to the death of someone else.

* Taking out someone who threatens Elizabeth's position on Atlantis.

Y'know, I kinda want a Stinky Sock card because they're cool looking. I drool in envy over Parsindy's because hers has Jensen and Jared on it. *SUPERNATURAL SQUEEEE*

I left general discussions threads for just that reason. Though I've now developed a very nice 'ignore' list, I got tired of people just stating they 'hate' a character and giving no reason for it. They do it to tick other people off, mostly. When Torri declined S5, I left the general discussion threads because there was no point anymore in speculating to hope. I hang out in Sparky and some of the character threads, the Save Elizabeth thread and a few of the games. It's enough.

Spoiler:

*headDESK*

SUPERNATURAL!Squee right back attcha. Now that right there is good writing.

They have obviously changed the entire premise of the show. Hello male demographic anyone. BTW I have brought up the males just wanta blow stuff up idea with several of the species and 100% say it's a myth. They want good stories and interesting characters they can care about just like we do.

The scene you mentioned in BAMSR bothered me too at the time. I used the much better McShep scene from TMC in my last video. You got a true feeling of how they felt. Both actors did a superb job showing they were indeed not coping well but had to get on with it. Alas, they didn't choose to revisit it. I think that was one of the complaints JF mentioned. They all understand the show biz thing, but I think he in particular feels a sense of responsibility and loyalty toward the other actors and goes to bat for them.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                            SUPERNATURAL!Squee right back attcha. Now that right there is good writing.

They have obviously changed the entire premise of the show. Hello male demographic anyone. BTW I have brought up the males just wanta blow stuff up idea with several of the species and 100% say it's a myth. They want good stories and interesting characters they can care about just like we do.

The scene you mentioned in BAMSR bothered me too at the time. I used the much better McShep scene from TMC in my last video. You got a true feeling of how they felt. Both actors did a superb job showing they were indeed not coping well but had to get on with it. Alas, they didn't choose to revisit it. I think that was one of the complaints JF mentioned. They all understand the show biz thing, but I think he in particular feels a sense of responsibility and loyalty toward the other actors and goes to bat for them.
                            Oh, don't get me started on Supernatural. You'll never get me to finish. I'm in love with that show from the top down, all the way to the little grip boys who haul cable. Wonderful blend of writing, acting,directing, etc, and Kripke really cares about his show, his stories, his characters...and his fans. He is one show runner who knows how to balance out fan desires with his own desires for the show. Total love 150%.

Yes, I know many boyz who actually prefer characterization to special effects. Go figure. What's a shame is that the Stargate franchise has never really allowed female input into their overall show. I read Mallozzi mentioned once that they'd had female writers who wrote occasionally but had never really captured what they'd wanted.

I don't think they want what they would consider 'fluff' storylines, but the thing is, most females who write for sci-fi don't write 'fluff'. Sera Gamble for Supernatural, for example, writes some awesome stuff for the show--as in death, gore and special effects--but there is always a heart to it, too. They never forget that hard-talkin', ghost whumping twentysomething bad*** boys are people with family issues, too.

Both Stargates could have used that. There are some episodes that have it, but most fall flat--they force feed the emotion rather than let it flow. *shakes head*

Comment

Got another idea for you, Anuna:

The team is on some backwater planet, Sheppard tries to seduce the leader's daughter, not knowing that it is a crime in their culture. After they get captured, Sheppard finds out what the punishment is: castration. That's worse than death

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                                You're staying in the Sparky thread though, right?
                                » Yep. Bunking with the same like-minded individuals.

Brad Wright: But that contradicts the laws of thermodynamics!
                                Martin Gero: Laws are made to be broken!
                                Pajus: The Darwin awards webpage is full of people like you, Gero!
                                » *giggles insanely* Pajus is one of those "boyz" that actually prefer characterisation (and acurrate representations of physics and biology) to special effects.

What's a shame is that the Stargate franchise has never really allowed female input into their overall show. I read Mallozzi mentioned once that they'd had female writers who wrote occasionally but had never really captured what they'd wanted.
                                » That is just ... utter crap. I believe it was a woman who wrote, or at least came up with the story for Poisoning the Well. It was an excellent episode that relied on emotions and morality rather than special effects and cheap laughs. It wasn't a "fluffy" story either. The fact that the PTB rely so little - or, more accurately, deny female imput is disappointing to me as a female viewer.

» I like action (except space battles) and humour, but I would take a poignant story about the characters, morality, emotions, and friendship over that any day, because for me, that comes first and foremost.

Comment

Working...
                                X