No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my first animated banner I did that way.
    Usually I just animate text or something like that.
    So I'm glad you like it!

I'm going to make another one with the kiss!

I'm a small Sparky shipper. I've always been one.
    Just like I'm a small Sam/Jack shipper. Even if I prefer Sam/Martouf!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Luciana View Post
      Hello shippers!

Oh that's gorgeous! Mind if we use it?
      I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by M-CharmedAlantian View Post
        I liked Elizabeth ever since I got hooked on Atlantis last year. At the VERY beginning, last summer I WAS a Sheyla fan at first but Sparky grew on me. Now I'm officially a Sparky fan. Like the rest of you, I'm really pissed off that TPTB took off Elizabeth Weir from Atlantis.The Actress deserves better than than that. I've only been a Stargate fan for about a year and it already sucks ( I mean no disrespect ) its just not the same without Weir in the show.
        Hi, welcome! I agree, and I was like you--I only got into the show about a year ago. I watched it all squashed together, and when I found out Elizabeth was gone, I went from immediate love to great disappointment.

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
        to all you sparky writer out there think you guys could right more post season 4 fan fictions dealing with sheppard's grief and and all he over comes it. like if i was john and i lost someone like elizabeth i wouldnt be able to come to terms with it. maybe a story about him seeing Heightmeyer after the events of lifeline. no one knew it was his little secret.
        I have one story--it's an immediately post-Lifeline story. It's the only thing I've published for Atlantis

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4013479/1/Two_Moons

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
        Carl Binder wrote it? He started out so well, and then just trailled off at the end. Much like s4

It always seemed a bit odd to me that upon not being able to contact Team Sheppard, Weir's immediate response was to just take Lorne and a jumper to the planet. They were obviously in trouble.

And when I say it seemed odd that she would head straight into danger, it highlights an inconsistency in the writing. When I first heard the concept for Atlantis, I had always assumed her role would involve making first contacts and going off world ie Progeny (another Binder ep). But instead she gets shunted into an admin role. I've read in some fanfics that it is Shep who doesn't like her to go off world, but I've never gotten that perception from the show. Instead it seems to be a "whenever TPTB feel like it" situation. Why doesn't she go off-world more? Why would you send your 2IC somewhere to potentially make allies and negotiate with other worlds, giving them the impression that you (Atlantis) don't want to send the leader in case they turn out to be barbarians? But this is a conceptual issue, not entirely related to this ep.

So overall I liked this ep. Elizabeth heads off world *sigh* to protect her people. Team Shep get some much needed action. All characters have a similar reaction to learning the real reason for the prison settlement, but it is only Weir who gets to voice it directly. She does it so well Really though, comic-book-guy's-dad was rather inept in just letting them go. He has a hungry Wriath!!! Who is immune to bullets (kinda). That would have really upped the stakes, if he just hadn't given in and let them walk. IF he had said no, or tried to capture them, would she have given the order to shoot him? We'll never know.

Yes it was disappointing that there was no discussion re their actions on the planet (leaving it vulnerable to the wraith). However it is not the only ep to suffer this problem, so I'll forgive it. Also disappointing that Elgin? gets all that time and is never heard from again. Why bother at all? I thought they were going for the ol' spy-in-the-midst-secretly-learning-your-tech-so-they-can-steal-your-jumper trick, but no.

Overall I thought this was a solid standalone ep. They showed that Weir had a strong backbone, and while she does not use force personally, she allows/threatens the use of it in a way that negates the use of it (which is consistent with her policy of force minimisation). To me it proves that a well written script can make a character seem stornger and more threatening than brandishing a weapon. There were a couple of plot holes, but still a solid ep.
        Your gripes are about the same as mine. Though I do give credence that, in a realistic sense, as head of the expedition the safest thing in an unexplored galaxy is for her to remain on base and allow others to serve as emissaries. Where they dropped the ball I think is in situations where it seemed like the situation was 'safer' and then had her meet with the leaders. In a similar way to how she handled Ladon in "Common Ground" and negotiated with him on Atlantis. I could understand the aim of making sure she wasn't kidnapped or assassinated by going off-world too much.

Yet, I do wish she'd gone off-world more. There were some situations where her presence could have made a huge difference.
        Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
          Hi, welcome! I agree, and I was like you--I only got into the show about a year ago. I watched it all squashed together, and when I found out Elizabeth was gone, I went from immediate love to great disappointment.

I have one story--it's an immediately post-Lifeline story. It's the only thing I've published for Atlantis

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4013479/1/Two_Moons

Your gripes are about the same as mine. Though I do give credence that, in a realistic sense, as head of the expedition the safest thing in an unexplored galaxy is for her to remain on base and allow others to serve as emissaries. Where they dropped the ball I think is in situations where it seemed like the situation was 'safer' and then had her meet with the leaders. In a similar way to how she handled Ladon in "Common Ground" and negotiated with him on Atlantis. I could understand the aim of making sure she wasn't kidnapped or assassinated by going off-world too much.

Yet, I do wish she'd gone off-world more. There were some situations where her presence could have made a huge difference.
          There were so many things that could have been done. Team Sheppard could have made the initial contact, and then Elizabeth could have led the negotiations. That way you have two useful characters, not a smart@ss and the leader who stands worried looking over the gate. But like I said they developed a scheme for writing plots, characters - everything - and that's where the good stories and characters with potential went down the drain.

Here's one of my S4 stories dealing with grief, based on "Lifeline" and something Vixen told me long time ago... about John continuing Elizabeth's legacy. Hankie alert.

Spoiler:
          "Listen"

This place is… you know, weird. Different.

There are five moons, but you can only see two from the City. Maybe three. Not sure, I think Carter says it’s three. We haven’t been here long enough to know. I think you’d like that, ‘Lizbeth, the view of three moons from the balcony.

The stars here are nice, but you know… they’re kinda cold. I think our stars were better, the ones on Lantea. We had better view.

Crap, ‘Lizbeth. I’m not sure what I’m trying to say. I’m not good at profound, you know that… I thought I was, you know, useful here, good for something. I think I should have flipped that coin few more times, because, I screwed up big time. Again. Ain’t that great?

Tell me you’re surprised.

Tell me I’m wrong, tell me anything you want, but it shouldn’t have been you, damn it. It should have been me! I should… I was supposed to protect you! It was my job.

And what bugs me the most? I’m talking to myself here! How come you did this better? You’re the listener, not me, and now I’m the one they come to talk to, and I don’t know why, because, honestly I suck at the interpersonal thing. The Air Force really doesn’t train you for that… Not the pilots, at least.

You know, these stars are kind of pretty. I just… I wonder if they are even similar, wherever you are. And if you can see them. If you can see… anything.

Sh*t, Elizabeth. You have to be somewhere, because I don’t think I can do this... They come and they talk and I just… listen. You did that better - I’m not that smart; I have no *****ing clue what to say. So I just listen. Maybe I should have told you… so many times while you were here, but it was just… you’d tell me I was a fool. You probably would, it would never work, but I guess I’ll never know, eh? Maybe I should have told you what I thought of you. What I really thought of you, how I… feel.

Oh, *****, ‘Lizbeth! Damn it, why did you do it? I keep running the scene in my head and I just keep coming up with why? I was there, I could have done something, and Rodney could have done something. I could have pulled you out. Why didn’t you give me a chance? Damn it! This is your fault, you know?! Yes, it’s your fault. You know how much I hate… I hate this! Why did you do it? Of all the people, ‘Lizbeth… of all the people, I should have stayed there, that’s my job, not yours!

It should have been me. Not you.

But you know… I guess it’s true when people say less is more. I keep my mouth shut and people get to say things, smart things, and I get to hear them. Hear them. I should have listened more when you were around, maybe I’d be a bit… better at this by now, you know. ****. Way to go, Sheppard. I just wish… if I could be here with you, one more time, I’d listen. I would.

I would.

Because, you see, I think I figured it out. You started this, the Atlantis mission, and now I have to keep it going. It’s that legacy thing, right? That’s what you would say, right? Heck I can even imagine you there, you know…! That’s… that’s what I’ll do.

Because I kinda suck doing this alone. Please just… talk to me. I’ll listen. I will.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
            Oh that's gorgeous! Mind if we use it?
            I would be very proud and happy, if you use it!

And here's the kissing version:

(I also made one, which is not animated...if'd like to have it, I'll post it here... )
            sigpic

Comment

And here's another piece of S4 sadness that I wrote...

Spoiler:
              I stand relieved

He thought the office was empty. He was wrong.

Under the clear bright light there was that well known deserted desk and a single item there, waiting for him to collect it. He held a breath. The bronze pot sat there, lonely, misplaced.

He felt exactly the same.

He neared the desk and his eyes searched the smooth surface. His eyes touched places where the laptop and personal items stood. The space around him seemed like a dream. Surreal and disturbing. Yet the hour of waking didn’t seem to come for him.

Her voice still rang in his ears. Go, she screamed but he didn’t want to leave. Dieing there with her would hurt less than standing here, alone.

Someone knocked quietly and he looked up. He met Sam Carter’s eyes.

“Hey.”

“Hey,” he replied. She stood at the door, reluctant to cross the line. He lowered his eyes.

“It’s time,” she said and he looked towards the crowd in the gate room. He could still picture the coffin with Scottish flag and Elizabeth dressed in her best suit, trying to keep her voice steady. He stared at her, stood there and stared at her trying to understand how she could speak. Where did she find all those wonderful words? What was… what is she made of?

He wasn’t cut out of the same stuff. His throat was tight and it hurt like hell and when he looked at Sam he barely found his voice.

“Are you going to be okay?” she asked. He nodded. He had to. Leaving the office with the pot in his hands, he walked down the stairs. He saw Rodney and Ronon and Major Lorne. Teyla stood next to Jennifer Keller. For a moment his mind tricked him and he was sure there was Carson’s assuring smile in the crowd.

The soldiers. Most of them were younger than him. They looked up to him, looking for guidance. He had to set the example here, one last time. So he straightened up reminding himself he owed this to Elizabeth and took that same spot where she stood that day when they said goodbye to Carson.

American flag hung at half mast over the gate room. He looked at it and gazed towards the office and that spot near the railing where his eyes always found her waiting; and then looked back over the faces that studied him, searched a bit of courage he searched in Elizabeth’s eyes. For a shred of a second he understood what kind of burden she shouldered every day.

He cleared his throat and decided not to look in Rodney’s direction. Instead he gazed into distance.

“I was never quite good with words… and I will be short,” he started with his throat sore and mouth dry. His hands clutched the pot. “You all know we’ve lost someone important. Someone… we could all count on, always,” he paused, almost choking on the words. The image of Elizabeth with her head bandaged played in front of his eyes and for a moment, one brief moment he wished it all ended there. “Elizabeth Weir was… the heart and soul of this expedition. She was more than a leader. She was… our stronghold.”

My stronghold, he thought. In the corner of his eye he could see Rodney fidget and wipe his face, and Ronon looking down at his boots.

“For the moment being, her status is missing in action. And my last command… as your military commander…,” and just as he predicted heads shot up and soldiers looked at him with mixture of disbelief and determination. He knew they would be brave and do what he said. They looked up to him and he had to be strong just for few more moments. “It will remain to be your standing command – to find and retrieve Doctor Elizabeth Weir from the hands of the enemy. Someone said once… the first thing that dies in war is the truth. I think we can consider ourselves lucky. Elizabeth was… our truth during three years of cruel and dangerous war. Let’s not forget that truth,” he said and fell silent and looked towards Sam Carter who stood aside. She walked towards him and he turned and faced her, saluting in stiff posture that made his muscles hurt. Sam held his eyes and he found comfort in hers. He knew her well enough to trust her she would let his last command stand.

“I relieve you of commanding duty, Colonel,” she said softly and he felt the burden fall from his chest, but the pain and heavy emptiness stayed in his insides.

“I stand relieved,” he whispered.

On a happier note, here I propose a smut captioning challenge!

Comment

Originally posted by Luciana View Post
                I would be very proud and happy, if you use it!

And here's the kissing version:

(I also made one, which is not animated...if'd like to have it, I'll post it here... )
                Tell me how do I set up a rotating siggy like you have?

Comment

http://www.imagerotate.com/

You can upload 20 images.
                  You get a code you just put into your signature section.
                  But I don't know if you can upload gifs there.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'll make sure to check it out, thanx!!! YAY! So, who wnats to do smutty captions? Eri?!

Comment

And done! My signatures are rotating! YES!

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                        Spoiler:

If I hold it for just a bit longer I'll be able to pretend it's the sound of a branch breaking

Ha I found my smut inspiration:

Spoiler:
                        John: Damn if she keeps talking the pants will start to hurt me!

About "Condemned" - it was a good episode. Not memorable - because Sparky didn't have any screen time together, but it was pretty good for Elizabeth. I love we got to see her go off world and handle a difficult situation with skill and lots of nerve. In the meantime Team Shep got their butts whumped and the bonus was seeing John tied with a leather "leash". I mean who can object that? I loved that moment when he kicked his knee. poor thing.

Food eating Wraith were interesting for me. Human - Wraith alliance was also interesting and I wish the writers linked these guys with Wraith worshipers. We could have had humans who spy for Wraith all over the Pegasus Galaxy and along with fractions of the Genii and Kolya on the run? The replicators wouldn't have been necessary. But again, we get to see writers taking the easier way out. *thumbs down*

That said I loved that sparky moment at the end. i kind of confirms the well known fanon: John doesn't like when Elizabeth goes off world because harm could come her way. I wish we had an episode where Elizabeth and John ended up in trouble off world, and she talked their way out of trouble, instead of John shooting their way out of trouble. Hmmm, that sounds like a good plot bunny. I might use it.

Comment

Alright, y'all, Trinity

I like this episode, but it's another that, because it's not terribly Elizabeth heavy, I'd probably watch every once in a while.

But it does have one of my all time favorite scenes in it!

Interesting, of course, is that they have "Trinity" just a few eppies after they have "Duet", though I can't see the same 'three' connections here as obviously as the 'two' connections in "Duet".

There are a lot of three-sided issues--stuff like whether Elizabeth should listen to Rodney or Zelenka; whether John should agree with Rodney, Elizabeth, or Caldwell, whether Teyla should be sympathetic or angry at Ronon's actions, etc.

And Trinity has three principle locations--Atlantis, the weapon planet, and the planet Ronon and Teyla are on.

On Rodney's side of the story, we being with his enthusiasm over this new device. I love how he's so excited at the prospect of a challenge, it's infectious:

Elizabeth shows teeth! Must be really exciting!

And the excitement continues. We've had so many 'battle' sort of situations, it was nice the enemy was an internal problem.:

David Hewlett looks really good here. He was great in this eppy.

I'll cut to Ronon and Teyla--one of the reasons I enjoy this episode. It was nice to see them out together, and good to see Teyla's doing more than being subservient to Atlantis--she's actually still working as a leader to her people. I also like how she doesn't back down as Ronon steps in. Teyla is a good leader, if quiet and non-ostentatious. But like Elizabeth, if you get her back up she's a tough cookie.

Ronon looks very surprised here, like he wasn't expecting Teyla to snap.

The first issue of a problem with the weapon presents an interesting discussion. I like how the role of everyone is pretty clearly laid out. Elizabeth listens to all sides; Rodney has HIS opinion, Caldwell his, John asking questions. I often take issue with shortcutting what I would consider 'real life', but in this case I think they presented the discussion scenes--and the developing drama--very well.

With the death of the scientist the issues escalates from exploratory to serious, and again, I like the way it's presented here. In particular, Rodney's arrogance as a character. We've seen it in snippets, but here it's out full force. I also love how Zelenka is a balancing force against him. They're a great pairing.

Trinity should probably have been renamed 'trust', because those are the issues really presented here. Who do you trust? In this case, Elizabeth goes with her chief scientist a little longer.

And as for Teyla and Ronon, well...trust is involved there, too. Trust, and a little liquor.

I thought this was cute, not only her helping him, but his expression and emotion when he talks about Sateda to her. *SPANKY ROCKS*

More to come...
                          Last edited by Eri13; 25 April 2008, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Ha I found my smut inspiration:

Spoiler:
                            John: Damn if she keeps talking the pants will start to hurt me!

About "Condemned" - it was a good episode. Not memorable - because Sparky didn't have any screen time together, but it was pretty good for Elizabeth. I love we got to see her go off world and handle a difficult situation with skill and lots of nerve. In the meantime Team Shep got their butts whumped and the bonus was seeing John tied with a leather "leash". I mean who can object that? I loved that moment when he kicked his knee. poor thing.

Food eating Wraith were interesting for me. Human - Wraith alliance was also interesting and I wish the writers linked these guys with Wraith worshipers. We could have had humans who spy for Wraith all over the Pegasus Galaxy and along with fractions of the Genii and Kolya on the run? The replicators wouldn't have been necessary. But again, we get to see writers taking the easier way out. *thumbs down*

That said I loved that sparky moment at the end. i kind of confirms the well known fanon: John doesn't like when Elizabeth goes off world because harm could come her way. I wish we had an episode where Elizabeth and John ended up in trouble off world, and she talked their way out of trouble, instead of John shooting their way out of trouble. Hmmm, that sounds like a good plot bunny. I might use it.
                            Yeah, the Wraith worshipers was a TOTAL ball drop. We heard about them but only saw them one time. What a waste.

^snip

On a happier note, here I propose a smut captioning challenge!

I can't do much today--I've got my trinity recap and then I have to do a graphic...but I'll try a few:

Spoiler:
                            Oh, um...you know, John, when I said to 'let is all hang loose' every once in a while I didn't quite mean literally.

Comment

I mentioned Trinity was about trust, and here comes the big moments--including our Sparky. With Rodney concerned the project might be shut down, he goes to the one person who he feels personally might have some pull with Elizabeth--as she isn't going to let him continue based on his data alone. (How well does Elizabeth know Rodney?) So he goes to John to convince Elizabeth to go through with the experiment.

I like this moment; I think it's one of John and Rodney's better ones, because it's not being 'boys' so much as being friends. Here, they demonstrate their connection, and how the two characters think about one another. Rodney obviously considers John a friend, and John thinks the same. But Rodney also knows how much pull John has with Elizabeth. Writers, you've out-foxed yourselves again. Adding this scene shows just how much Rodney believes John can influence her--rather than trying himself, or just writing a scene where John sticks up for him without being asked, Rodney is using John's relationship with Elizabeth as a trump card.

McKAY: ...I mean, look, the risks are nothing compared to the potential benefits. Elizabeth will listen to you. I have never asked this of you before, but I think I've earned it. Trust me.

And, in turn, John complies. He knows, as we know, Rodney's right about the connection between he and Elizabeth. I love that in the discussion between he, Elizabeth and Caldwell, she continually negates Caldwell's arguments, and basically says no to the idea--even under threat of being trumped by the IOA--until John puts on his personal face and she recognizes it. Despite all of Elizabeth's better judgment, as we saw in "Duet" with Ronon, Elizabeth places her trust in John and allows them one more chance.

WEIR: I get it! And *if* it worked as advertised, it would be wonderful. I'm trying to tell you I know Rodney McKay and there are times when I have to protect him from himself.

SHEPPARD: I can do that. Let me go back with him – just him and me.

You can activate the Stargate any time you want to contact us by radio.

WEIR: He really sold you.

SHEPPARD: He asked me to trust him.

I like Caldwell's role in this too--to bad we never saw him go back and actually report anything to Earth. I think it would have been an interesting spin on things.

Back to Ronon and Teyla...I actually enjoyed the double crossing Ronon did. I don't really know why, other than the fact that his character has a ruthlessness to him we haven't seen from very many others, yet he's so understated and nonchalant in his general mannerisms that it's entertaining.

But even better is Teyla's reaction to the whole situation--I LOVE how her character handled everything. She played a great balance between understanding and anger. And she can threaten, too--awesome.

I love Jason's expressions when Ronon's hopped up. And it takes him a second to calm down.

Back to the 'weapon'--it was nice to see, firstly, Zelenka vindicated. It was also great that the trust issue was something that needed to be addressed because the plan didn't work, it failed.

How spot on was Elizabeth with Rodney's personality? Here we get the first great failure of Rodney McKay, and it's something that's not forgotten even through S4. I also like how it's not only a failure experimentally, but on a personal level too--how his own ego got in the way not only of logic, but of his friendships, too.

And we come to that scene I mentioned as one of my favorites. I don't know why...maybe because it doesn't happen very often, or maybe because it's sort of unusual.

But I LOVE the scene with Elizabeth chewing out Rodney in the background. The fact that we get to hear her shouting across the gateroom, displaying her anger full-force, is great! I don't think it goes out of character for Elizabeth to get this angry--considering she placed her trust not only in Rodney but a little in John as well, and her judgment was off. In a way, this perhaps goes back to a little of Elizabeth wanting to do everything right, and the direct result of her orders here, because invariably the final decision was hers, was the destruction of a solar system.

On top of that, Rodney appears to be holding on to his ego and arrogance, so understandably, she's more furious than she might be. But I like we get to hear her yell. I just like it. Another part of the complex Elizabeth character that we get to see--and another part that's missed.

Funny that Teyla had just warned Ronon not to say anything about their incident. Good timing, Teyla.

The final scene I like, too--Rodney trying to apologize to John, and doing so in a more personal way than the others. I like John's mad at him; it goes to both his disappointment in Rodney's egoism and the fact that he relied on Rodney's word when arguing his case to Elizabeth. So in a way, John's anger is tri-fold: being mad at Rodney for betraying him; mad at himself for believing him; and angry that he betrayed Elizabeth's trust by convincing her to go ahead with Rodney's plan.

This is a McShep moment, though, and I like it in the sense of the relationships. It goes to the importance of Rodney's friends, who do matter to him even when it doesn't seem like it; and how closely John holds his friendships. One great thing about John is he doesn't hold grudges--obviously he's easy to forgive, as the final scene demonstrates. Especially with those he considers family.

I like how Rodney is closer to John than he is to Elizabeth, though he called her Elizabeth first. Rodney's never established the rapport with Elizabeth--even through 'The Storm/The Eye' situation. Their relationship is a friendship, but still has a business element to it. John and Elizabeth, however, have that personal connection even through the 'business' situations.

Comment

*giggles*

Oh that's a good one Eri!

Spoiler:
                                John: When I said it's critical...
                                Elizabeth: It's been like that the whole day?
                                John: Yeah, pretty much so... ow.
                                Elizabeth: Oh my. But I have to...
                                John: Elizabeth, this is turning into a medical emergency... help me out a little, will ya?

Hmmm, when I think of Trinity I think arrogant Rodney plus Spanky. I think they've gone over the top with Rodney's arrogance - this episode really didn't do him much good. He was so great at the beginning - actually that whole grinning scene was something like "we're all on weed and we like it" and then pooof, it plummets down into Rodney's arrogant blindness, despite everybody telling him that it's really BAD IDEA. I think this is one of the rare occasions where the writers, who usually adore Rodney, didn't respect him much. They needed him to make a mistake and they've done that, not really caring how awful he will look.

Why am I bashing so much lately?

Anyway... Spanky stole this ep IMO. they were great - displaying the old school Atlantis chemistry a la Sparky. Teyla had tons of personality here (who wrote this?) and finally it was possible to imagine her like a leader with a strong backbone. And I agree with you Eri, she's quiet and non threatening - until you step on your toes. Much like Elizabeth. Given that these ladies are so much alike, WHAT A WASTE not to develop their friendship!!! We had so much John and Rodney show and the women friendship moments were downright neglected. Made of fail, PTB. Made of massive fail.

Anyway - I like how Sparky here is a well tuned background for the rest of events. John seems to understand Elizabeth well, and when he pleads with her, she chooses to trust him (well him and Rodney, but John IS the resident Rodney baby sitter here). So there. This ep featured that very fine sparky connection we all love - it's beyond words or any ordinary means of communication. They get each other. it's there, on the screen in mere looks. They are a force of nature.

Comment

Working...
                                X