Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M-CharmedAlantian View Post
    Hi I'm new here and I support Sparky!!!
    Welcome to the friendliest and sanest thread on GateWorld!
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I liked Elizabeth ever since I got hooked on Atlantis last year. At the VERY beginning, last summer I WAS a Sheyla fan at first but Sparky grew on me. Now I'm officially a Sparky fan. Like the rest of you, I'm really pissed off that TPTB took off Elizabeth Weir from Atlantis.The Actress deserves better than than that. I've only been a Stargate fan for about a year and it already sucks ( I mean no disrespect ) its just not the same without Weir in the show.

Comment

There's a new game pic game and a certain ship is ahead

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...t=54183&page=3

sigpic
        My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
        poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post

I have done my duty. lol.
          sigpic
          My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

Originally posted by M-CharmedAlantian View Post
            I liked Elizabeth ever since I got hooked on Atlantis last year. At the VERY beginning, last summer I WAS a Sheyla fan at first but Sparky grew on me. Now I'm officially a Sparky fan. Like the rest of you, I'm really pissed off that TPTB took off Elizabeth Weir from Atlantis.The Actress deserves better than than that. I've only been a Stargate fan for about a year and it already sucks ( I mean no disrespect ) its just not the same without Weir in the show.
            Please, don't apologize for speaking your mind! We're ALL pissed about no Weir/Torri and we all agree that without her, the show sucks harder than a black hole. So you're in very good company here, and we're glad to have you on board.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post

Make sure to do your duty, vote the hottest couple of Atlantis. They make the walls blush!

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
              Please, don't apologize for speaking your mind! We're ALL pissed about no Weir/Torri and we all agree that without her, the show sucks harder than a black hole. So you're in very good company here, and we're glad to have you on board.
              Oh there are tons of pissed off people. It's allowed to be pissed off on this thread, don't worry. But nevertheless, TPTB and their sucky decisions can't take away the sparky from us, we simply don't let them to. I usually say that canon can kiss my OTP's @ss.
              I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

to all you sparky writer out there think you guys could right more post season 4 fan fictions dealing with sheppard's grief and and all he over comes it. like if i was john and i lost someone like elizabeth i wouldnt be able to come to terms with it. maybe a story about him seeing Heightmeyer after the events of lifeline. no one knew it was his little secret.

Comment

Carl Binder wrote it? He started out so well, and then just trailled off at the end. Much like s4

It always seemed a bit odd to me that upon not being able to contact Team Sheppard, Weir's immediate response was to just take Lorne and a jumper to the planet. They were obviously in trouble.

And when I say it seemed odd that she would head straight into danger, it highlights an inconsistency in the writing. When I first heard the concept for Atlantis, I had always assumed her role would involve making first contacts and going off world ie Progeny (another Binder ep). But instead she gets shunted into an admin role. I've read in some fanfics that it is Shep who doesn't like her to go off world, but I've never gotten that perception from the show. Instead it seems to be a "whenever TPTB feel like it" situation. Why doesn't she go off-world more? Why would you send your 2IC somewhere to potentially make allies and negotiate with other worlds, giving them the impression that you (Atlantis) don't want to send the leader in case they turn out to be barbarians? But this is a conceptual issue, not entirely related to this ep.

So overall I liked this ep. Elizabeth heads off world *sigh* to protect her people. Team Shep get some much needed action. All characters have a similar reaction to learning the real reason for the prison settlement, but it is only Weir who gets to voice it directly. She does it so well Really though, comic-book-guy's-dad was rather inept in just letting them go. He has a hungry Wriath!!! Who is immune to bullets (kinda). That would have really upped the stakes, if he just hadn't given in and let them walk. IF he had said no, or tried to capture them, would she have given the order to shoot him? We'll never know.

Yes it was disappointing that there was no discussion re their actions on the planet (leaving it vulnerable to the wraith). However it is not the only ep to suffer this problem, so I'll forgive it. Also disappointing that Elgin? gets all that time and is never heard from again. Why bother at all? I thought they were going for the ol' spy-in-the-midst-secretly-learning-your-tech-so-they-can-steal-your-jumper trick, but no.

Overall I thought this was a solid standalone ep. They showed that Weir had a strong backbone, and while she does not use force personally, she allows/threatens the use of it in a way that negates the use of it (which is consistent with her policy of force minimisation). To me it proves that a well written script can make a character seem stornger and more threatening than brandishing a weapon. There were a couple of plot holes, but still a solid ep.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                    to all you sparky writer out there think you guys could right more post season 4 fan fictions dealing with sheppard's grief and and all he over comes it. like if i was john and i lost someone like elizabeth i wouldnt be able to come to terms with it. maybe a story about him seeing Heightmeyer after the events of lifeline. no one knew it was his little secret.
                    Hey,

I'll be happy to take on this challenge. I already wrote some grieving John fics, i'll rpovide links later today.

I'm at work, so I can't get into discussion - but I promise to do so after I come home. I like your assesment of the ep, gateraid. There should have been more Elizabeth - offworld eps; it seems that the writers simply wanted to take the easy way out, figuring that Elizabeth is stay at home type of character, team Shep are action characters, instead asking themselves if the character XY got into that situation how would he/she behave, how would the situation affect him/her and what would the others do? It's how people usually work in day to day life.... it's how characters in Tv shows work too. If not they're not better than stupid cartoons. Sorry for the rant guys.

Comment

It's not strictly OT (but most of my posts aren't) BUT I think it was SR who said that the trend for Mommy-Weir started in The Defiant One. I think the trend for the next few years of SGA started in these recent eps. Duet established DH's ability to carry an ep all by himself (remember there is a big lag between when TPTB see something play out on screen and when they can replicate it). This ep established both Teyla and Ronan's ability to be in an ep, have plenty of screentime, but not actually contribute anything ie wallpaper. For Weir, it established her ability to do what is needed for her people ie her duality - her strong nerve when needed, but still the most personal and deep character of the cast (along with Carson). IMO of course.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                        It's not strictly OT (but most of my posts aren't) BUT I think it was SR who said that the trend for Mommy-Weir started in The Defiant One. I think the trend for the next few years of SGA started in these recent eps. Duet established DH's ability to carry an ep all by himself (remember there is a big lag between when TPTB see something play out on screen and when they can replicate it). This ep established both Teyla and Ronan's ability to be in an ep, have plenty of screentime, but not actually contribute anything ie wallpaper. For Weir, it established her ability to do what is needed for her people ie her duality - her strong nerve when needed, but still the most personal and deep character of the cast (along with Carson). IMO of course.

Interesting observation. I think it's safe to assume that in S2 the writing became.... schematic, meaning TPTB decided XY is that type of character instead of thinking about the caharcter as about a human being. The caharcter development was dropped in favor of predictability, because thatw as simply easy way to do it, and characters were left to the effort of their actors to stick in any character development, if possible.

Yes, I'm cranky today.

Comment

It's OK to be cranky if your thinking how the (mis)used Weir.

Elizabeth could have had lots more to do and it would of made the show better, because interaction with Elizabeth made all the other characters better. Sheppard wouldn't be the Sheppard we love at time if it hadn't been for his scenes with Weir.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Wolf View Post
                            It's OK to be cranky if your thinking how the (mis)used Weir.

Elizabeth could have had lots more to do and it would of made the show better, because interaction with Elizabeth made all the other characters better. Sheppard wouldn't be the Sheppard we love at time if it hadn't been for his scenes with Weir.
                            I couldn't agree more. Sheppard is what he is because of Elizabeth - that way nobody can erase Sparky - only if they give John a complete amnesia and do total reset but I highly doubt something like that will ever happen. I'm not cranky just because of Elizabethlesness of the show, I'm cranky because I'm awfully tired. More on topic - interactions with Elizabeth made everybody more human, more real. However I think John got most of it. He let her make him a better person, but he influenced her too - and that is probably the strongest reason for my shipping them. They make sense together. they have something to offer each other outside their duties - two of them simply worked out, even if they weren't really written - I so don't care about that. like one of my friends says - Sparky is a force of nature (and I guess that is the reason some people are still opposing to the idea, despite Elizabeth leaving the show - in terms of canon she will never be gone because there's too much of her in John. She changed him completely and she'll stay part of him - mind, heart, soul. Of course, in fanon, which is so much more important and way better than fanon, she'll never be gone. *pokes tongue out to TOPTB and their "creative ideas". made of fail! Take that PTB and rest of Elizabeth bashers! She'll be there like a shadow. Or like SR often says, the first wife who is never forgotten, and nobody can quite measure up to her. She's the one, everyone else comes as the second best).

Boy I'm really cranky today.

Comment

Hello shippers!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Luciana View Post
                                Hello shippers!

Oh. Wow.

Luciana, I LOVE it!

Still can't green you unfortunately. Would if I could, 'cos that is fantastic.
                                (are you a Sparky shipper yet?)

Comment

Working...
                                X