Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Pocus View Post
    Why does this pic make me think...


    Zelenka- Oh my, they are flexible!!
    Beckett-So that's why he needed all that baby oil!!!
    Bates-Go Sir!!!
    Elizabeth-I thought we removed all the cameras!


    *runs quick*
    thats funny!

    Comment


      Okay, LFP. It's interesting in the first scene, where Rodney proposes that they send the message, that there is a role reversal. Normally Shep has the crazy plan (or approves it), and Weir is the voice of reason, but this time it is Shep that voices his concern (privately) that it could be their doom, but Weir reminds him of their duty and obligation. I wouldn't say it is an obvious "spark" but it is interesting that they know to play good cop-bad cop to each other so early on.

      I guess this is not specifically OT, but this ep has to be one of the best ones (in s1) of showing all of the main characters, all at once, "in character". Elizabeth is doing her duty and trying to ease the suffering of the bereaved families of her expidition, John is off both trying to save people, explain the rationale of the military, and gather intel, Teyla is trying to protect her friends and be a moral compass, Rodney pours his heart out, albiet accidentally and shares an insight into his character, while Ford gets to deliver the bad news (as an aside, while I have not always "rated" the Ford character, I thought this was a good ep for both the actor and the character. Shep defended him to Teyla, and he got to be a little more relaxed than he normally is)

      But back to Sparky, which cuts in at the end. I love how she left that one message for him to deliver, recognising that he needed it for personal growth and closure. To me it shows someone truly able to judge another (whether that be Sparky related or not).

      Also, again I haven't caught up from (let's say 8) pages ago, so there may be more insight into this ep or others (more than likely - greater than 80% chance on this thread). Dang it sparkies, you've given me all this homework to delve into.

      And I don't know why, as a guy I should be into the Sheyla pairing, [I've even been over to their thread, and tried to see it from their point of view, but it is the only pairing that I can't relate to (and there are so many if you try) but there is as much chemistry as with Ford, Rodney, Ronon as with Teyla]
      sigpic

      Comment


        Originally posted by gateraid View Post
        Okay, LFP.
        Whoa! Slow down, there! We're still on "The Brotherhood" for the rest of the weekend, we haven't gotten to "Letters From Pegasus" yet.

        Speaking of "The Brotherhood"... While it's light on the Sparky (save for those small pieces at the beginning and end), it's a really tight, tension-filled episode. The dual games of cat-and-mouse between Team Shep and Kolya, and Atlantis and the Wraith, are a fantastic example of SGA done right. And any appearance by Kolya is not to be missed.

        *sighs* I miss Season 1.

        Originally posted by gateraid View Post
        And I don't know why, as a guy I should be into the Sheyla pairing, [I've even been over to their thread, and tried to see it from their point of view, but it is the only pairing that I can't relate to (and there are so many if you try) but there is as much chemistry as with Ford, Rodney, Ronon as with Teyla]
        I'm glad to read that! Sometimes, it seems like Sheyla's being pushed on the audience as "the fanboy's wet dream," but in reality, it's just so horribly clichéed without any logical character development or actor chemistry to support it at all. So it's really great to see that there are guys out there who prefer the more cerebral and logically passionate Sparky.

        Sparky. It's not just a chick thing!
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

        Comment


          Right premature deconstruction! Back to The Brotherhood. I have to second (third, fourth, 1millionth) what Eri13 said re the end scenes with J/E - leader to leader. It is a rare gemto see that type of scene in any show. Neither character defers to the other, or apologises, just states their position matter of factly. And both of them respect each other's position/arguement. And re Elizabeth switching to "military mode" during the attack, that is part of the reason why I didn't see the "Hot Zone" situation as a military one, per se. Weir would have resorted to force, and at the time when it was realised that it was needed, it was Rodney (not Shep) who pointed it out. I still see that as being a whoever was in the control room at the time situation rather than civilian vs military.

          I hope everyone is feeling better from their various ailments (but not Sparky cure - it is contagious!)
          sigpic

          Comment


            Finally i have found a break in uni to say hi to all of you! How are we all?

            Now, before i run off to read all these lovely fics and watch the vids, any new news on our beloved couple?

            ! All Aboard The Shipper Train!
            I Heart ! Proud Member of Thunk For Club!
            Don't wait for your ship to come in. Swim out to it.

            Comment


              Can I just butt in again and say that I love the Sparky vids too (of the ones recently recommended, I love the Crazy Love one and shockingly it is from Anuna *g* you are everywhere with me) that I have been seeing of late. Four years of catchup all at once. It's a wonderful thing

              And I also love the fact that we are on the s1 eps. I've been forced to relive the glory days, all in the name of Sparky.
              sigpic

              Comment


                Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                Okay, LFP. It's interesting in the first scene, where Rodney proposes that they send the message, that there is a role reversal. Normally Shep has the crazy plan (or approves it), and Weir is the voice of reason, but this time it is Shep that voices his concern (privately) that it could be their doom, but Weir reminds him of their duty and obligation. I wouldn't say it is an obvious "spark" but it is interesting that they know to play good cop-bad cop to each other so early on.

                I guess this is not specifically OT, but this ep has to be one of the best ones (in s1) of showing all of the main characters, all at once, "in character". Elizabeth is doing her duty and trying to ease the suffering of the bereaved families of her expidition, John is off both trying to save people, explain the rationale of the military, and gather intel, Teyla is trying to protect her friends and be a moral compass, Rodney pours his heart out, albiet accidentally and shares an insight into his character, while Ford gets to deliver the bad news (as an aside, while I have not always "rated" the Ford character, I thought this was a good ep for both the actor and the character. Shep defended him to Teyla, and he got to be a little more relaxed than he normally is)

                But back to Sparky, which cuts in at the end. I love how she left that one message for him to deliver, recognising that he needed it for personal growth and closure. To me it shows someone truly able to judge another (whether that be Sparky related or not).

                Also, again I haven't caught up from (let's say 8) pages ago, so there may be more insight into this ep or others (more than likely - greater than 80% chance on this thread). Dang it sparkies, you've given me all this homework to delve into.

                And I don't know why, as a guy I should be into the Sheyla pairing, [I've even been over to their thread, and tried to see it from their point of view, but it is the only pairing that I can't relate to (and there are so many if you try) but there is as much chemistry as with Ford, Rodney, Ronon as with Teyla]
                LFP is among my favorite Stargate episodes. It has the best from everyone; there is characterization, there is action, there are some very good moments, and the episode naturally leads to the season conclusion in The Siege. You'll forgive me for discussing LFP I hope, but here is something I'd like to refer to. We have an interesting clash of personalities between John and Teyla here, and it's the prime example, character - vise, why they don't fit together like sparky. If I recall correctly, it's a clash of some fundamental values. While John's mind is set on getting the job done, Teyla is trying to save the people. He is thinking like a soldier, and IMO he should have given more thought to everything she was saying.

                It looks like tehy are unable to listen to each other. When sparky have a conflict it doesn't look like this - Elizabeth is a kind of person (and professional) who tries to see the other side, to understand the other point of view. She taught John to do the same; and he accepted to change under her influence. He taught her to be more determinant in return, especially when it came to not so ethical decisions she simply had to make. They change each other and make the other grow and become a better person. That doesn't happen with John and Teyla; it's like they don't have anything to offer the other. there is no give and take dynamic and that is why I simply can't see them as a couple. (plus it's a cringe worthy cliche, and yes there is ZERO chemistry between the actors )

                In this point of time, Elizabeth and John overcame differences and leadership + personal issues. they are now a team of leaders and some things go even without talking. Elizabeth knows that he needs to record that message for Sumner's family; she knows it will help him forgive himself. When she asks him to do it, he doesn't say no, even though we can see on his face that he isn't looking forward to it. At all. It's one of my favorite John - scenes; where we can only wonder how many demons he carries around (and that's why I find him so fascinating; and love to write him.)

                Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                Whoa! Slow down, there! We're still on "The Brotherhood" for the rest of the weekend, we haven't gotten to "Letters From Pegasus" yet.

                Speaking of "The Brotherhood"... While it's light on the Sparky (save for those small pieces at the beginning and end), it's a really tight, tension-filled episode. The dual games of cat-and-mouse between Team Shep and Kolya, and Atlantis and the Wraith, are a fantastic example of SGA done right. And any appearance by Kolya is not to be missed.

                *sighs* I miss Season 1.



                I'm glad to read that! Sometimes, it seems like Sheyla's being pushed on the audience as "the fanboy's wet dream," but in reality, it's just so horribly clichéed without any logical character development or actor chemistry to support it at all. So it's really great to see that there are guys out there who prefer the more cerebral and logically passionate Sparky.

                Sparky. It's not just a chick thing!
                Well I don't know about fanboy's wet dream. I know lot of fanboys who prefer Elizabeth and Sparky. My significant other said Elizabeth is smart, and that's why she's a better partner for John, and after he watched TRW he kept asking when are they going to get together finally?! LOL! One simply can't ignore the tons of eye!sexing going on, plus this pairing has more than mutual attraction. They make each other better people.

                Speaking of eye!sex; here is another video of mine, and it's all about the high voltage chemistry the sparky share. Satellite (the music I used is pretty hot too!)

                Originally posted by nogigglingmajor View Post
                Finally i have found a break in uni to say hi to all of you! How are we all?

                Now, before i run off to read all these lovely fics and watch the vids, any new news on our beloved couple?
                News? Well, we have smuthaton going on and you can find many hot fics here: notjustclosets

                Apart from that we are having some good discussions here and enjoying many fics and vids. You need more than that?!

                Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                Can I just butt in again and say that I love the Sparky vids too (of the ones recently recommended, I love the Crazy Love one and shockingly it is from Anuna *g* you are everywhere with me) that I have been seeing of late. Four years of catchup all at once. It's a wonderful thing

                And I also love the fact that we are on the s1 eps. I've been forced to relive the glory days, all in the name of Sparky.
                Those were the glory days indeed. Season 2 was good, but not as good as S1, and S3 was boring, except from couple of eps and some outstanding moments. S4 isn't Atlantis any more and I put it on firm mental ignore. It simply doesn't exist for me.
                I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                  Right premature deconstruction!
                  No feeling bad for jumping ahead! Because I proposed this game, I sorta asked if we could keep it to one episode over a weekend (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) because some people don't play as much. Plus, my Internet at home is wonky and I can't always get on--which is not to say that I have to be in on every discussion! It's just we've had a few games where we lost direction because we couldn't keep up the day-to-day, and I didn't want that to happen here--and being the one who proposed it, I felt like I should be available if people needed me.

                  But the discussion never has to stick to those rules--feel free to buzz ahead--though I am going to bring it back up tomorrow because I have a ton of really cool pictures I saved to my photobucket account.

                  WE might have to devote 2 days to The Gift because as I went photo farming I found about a million great pictures and I'll probably take up a whole page with just my post.

                  Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                  Back to The Brotherhood. I have to second (third, fourth, 1millionth) what Eri13 said re the end scenes with J/E - leader to leader. It is a rare gemto see that type of scene in any show. Neither character defers to the other, or apologises, just states their position matter of factly. And both of them respect each other's position/arguement. And re Elizabeth switching to "military mode" during the attack, that is part of the reason why I didn't see the "Hot Zone" situation as a military one, per se. Weir would have resorted to force, and at the time when it was realised that it was needed, it was Rodney (not Shep) who pointed it out. I still see that as being a whoever was in the control room at the time situation rather than civilian vs military.

                  I hope everyone is feeling better from their various ailments (but not Sparky cure - it is contagious!)
                  Totally contagious!

                  I agree, it is rare to see the leader-to-leader interaction--or I should say co-leader interaction, perhaps, because that's where conflicts generally arise--that are mutually respectful without a power play thrown in somehow.

                  One point of discussion I've been meaning to point out or ask about and keep forgetting is wondering how much weight the writers gave to certain scenes. What was the important element of the final Brotherhood scene? Was John's question about his men meant to get any weight at all, or is it all about the suspense of the Hive ships coming, with little thought given to how they get to that final, fearful moment? I get the sense they didn't always consider how a scene could turn out--if you think about how lines like these could be interpreted:

                  WEIR: No you don’t understand. While you were offworld a wraith dart flew over our city.

                  SHEPPARD: I’m sorry?

                  WEIR: We lost a jumper along with malcolm and smith

                  SHEPPARD: We what?

                  WEIR: And it scanned us.

                  SHEPPARD: We just lost two of my men and a jumper and this is the first time I’m hearing about it?

                  WEIR: I tried to reach you but you’ve been out of radio contact for over 12 hours. Now the dart sent a message deep into space and then it self destructed before we could get to it.
                  How Torri chose to say 'I tried to reach you...' is so straightforward in this episode. She could have been emotional about it--that entire scene could have been a worry-whine fest from Weir, if you think about it--imagine Torri being flustered rather than firm:

                  "No, you don't understand!! While you were offworld, a wraith dart flew over our city!!"

                  "I'm sorry?"

                  "We lost a jumper! Along with Malcolm... and Smith" *sorry Weir eyes*

                  "We WHAT?!"

                  (quietly) "And...it scanned us..."

                  (speaking over her) "We just lost two of my men and a jumper and this is the first time I’m hearing about it?"

                  "I tried to reach you--but you’ve been out of radio contact for over 12 hours!! Now... The dart sent a message deep into space and then it self destructed before we could get to it...
                  It was the actors who took the words and made them the scene we see (along with the director, perhaps). I know Torri had input into Weir's presentation, and I give her a lot of the credit for the wonderfully complex weight and duality Weir often possesses--the balance of leader and woman. Same with John not always being a Mitchell or a stereotypical flyboy; I think Joe thinks of Sheppard as the writers think of Sheppard so he's a little closer to the page version of John, but at the same time, he has an understated way of acting that also gives John depth. And he and Torri had such good chemistry together--that mature, adult-style chemistry that allows much to be said in looks rather than words--it makes scenes like this play off without overacting.

                  So I wonder if that's what's happened with some of these smaller scenes we admire-- were the writers actually thinking 'hmmm...lets have her make a military decision without him, lets let him get peeved and offhandedly question it for a moment but he trusts her so lets it go'? I know they planned the wraith dart, and I know they planned it without John, but I get the feeling it was more to add to the suspense of the situation--and the cliffhanger--than to address a power struggle, good or ill, between John and Elizabeth.

                  But if that's the case, then they wrote that final dialogue without considering the greater weight it carried--that it added to the unity of the characters amidst the chemistry that was already there, where there was no awkwardness, no power struggles, no need for explanations. I just think it's an interesting point to ponder because for one, it probably got overlooked in the grand scheme of things (one of those elements they just didn't bother to see when contemplating Weir's demise >8D), and two, shows just how much the actors contributed to our sparky moments.

                  Originally posted by gateraid View Post

                  And I also love the fact that we are on the s1 eps. I've been forced to relive the glory days, all in the name of Sparky.

                  YAY! \o/ That's what this game was intended for--plus to get people's opinions of what they saw in the first season others might have missed (like the checking out at the end of BIS--totally missed that!) I'm glad we can relive the glory days. I feel sad thinking about the present developments, but I relish the show of the past.

                  I'm looking forward to season 2 discussion because I don't know it as well, and I'm hoping people will give me some insight into things they see or know. S2 has the coolest commentary on the episodes, too. One thing I'm really interested in getting into are the ramifications of her break-up with Simon, because I think there is a great deal more Sparky in S2 than we tend to realize, and not having that heart-diamond necklace popping out of her shirt every 5 minutes will be a nice change.
                  Last edited by Eri13; 06 April 2008, 07:31 AM.
                  Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

                  Comment


                    *rescues the thread from Page 2*

                    Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                    LFP is among my favorite Stargate episodes. It has the best from everyone; there is characterization, there is action, there are some very good moments, and the episode naturally leads to the season conclusion in The Siege. You'll forgive me for discussing LFP I hope, but here is something I'd like to refer to. We have an interesting clash of personalities between John and Teyla here, and it's the prime example, character - vise, why they don't fit together like sparky. If I recall correctly, it's a clash of some fundamental values. While John's mind is set on getting the job done, Teyla is trying to save the people. He is thinking like a soldier, and IMO he should have given more thought to everything she was saying.

                    It looks like tehy are unable to listen to each other. When sparky have a conflict it doesn't look like this - Elizabeth is a kind of person (and professional) who tries to see the other side, to understand the other point of view. She taught John to do the same; and he accepted to change under her influence. He taught her to be more determinant in return, especially when it came to not so ethical decisions she simply had to make. They change each other and make the other grow and become a better person. That doesn't happen with John and Teyla; it's like they don't have anything to offer the other. there is no give and take dynamic and that is why I simply can't see them as a couple. (plus it's a cringe worthy cliche, and yes there is ZERO chemistry between the actors )
                    That's a very good observation. John and Teyla don't really seem to understand each other, and they don't seem to want to understand each other. That's certainly not a basis for a healthy relationship, is it? And it's not just in LFP, either; it's also front and center in the conflicts between them in The Gift and BAMSR/SoW. So there's certainly an underlying pattern of mutual misunderstanding between them that's never been completely resolved, just had temporary bandages stuck on it to hold it together until the next time they come into conflict.

                    Contrast this with how John and Elizabeth operate; they may argue over how to handle a situation, but at the end of the day, they get each other. They both accept where the other is coming from, and try to address each other's opinions without compromising their own. They understand that they've got the same goal in mind and that they'll have a much easier time of achieving that goal if they work together and leave their egos out of it.

                    Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                    Well I don't know about fanboy's wet dream. I know lot of fanboys who prefer Elizabeth and Sparky. My significant other said Elizabeth is smart, and that's why she's a better partner for John, and after he watched TRW he kept asking when are they going to get together finally?! LOL! One simply can't ignore the tons of eye!sexing going on, plus this pairing has more than mutual attraction. They make each other better people.
                    I'm talking more of what TPTB seem to think that fanboys want. You know, the "hero gets the hot alien babe" cliché. It sure looks like that's what they're trying to write. Gag me with a spork.

                    Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                    One point of discussion I've been meaning to point out or ask about and keep forgetting is wondering how much weight the writers gave to certain scenes. What was the important element of the final Brotherhood scene? Was John's question about his men meant to get any weight at all, or is it all about the suspense of the Hive ships coming, with little thought given to how they get to that final, fearful moment? I get the sense they didn't always consider how a scene could turn out--if you think about how lines like these could be interpreted:
                    I'm thinking that in this case, the writers probably intended the point to be the suspense of the incoming Hive ships, to start building the tension leading up to The Siege. At least, that's my guess.

                    Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                    It was the actors who took the words and made them the scene we see (along with the director, perhaps). I know Torri had input into Weir's presentation, and I give her a lot of the credit for the wonderfully complex weight and duality Weir often possesses--the balance of leader and woman. Same with John not always being a Mitchell or a stereotypical flyboy; I think Joe thinks of Sheppard as the writers think of Sheppard so he's a little closer to the page version of John, but at the same time, he has an understated way of acting that also gives John depth. And he and Torri had such good chemistry together--that mature, adult-style chemistry that allows much to be said in looks rather than words--it makes scenes like this play off without overacting.
                    *nods* The writers may have written the words, but the actors make it come to life in such a real, human way that words on a page alone cannot express. *slaps TPTB*

                    Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                    I'm looking forward to season 2 discussion because I don't know it as well, and I'm hoping people will give me some insight into things they see or know. S2 has the coolest commentary on the episodes, too. One thing I'm really interested in getting into are the ramifications of her break-up with Simon, because I think there is a great deal more Sparky in S2 than we tend to realize, and not having that heart-diamond necklace popping out of her shirt every 5 minutes will be a nice change.
                    I can't wait for Season 2! There were just so many damn fun episodes that year, not just for Sparky, but in general.

                    And yeah, the necklace sucked. I find it incredibly ironic that when they did the new opening credits for Season 2, they chose a shot of Weir with the necklace even though by the time the new opening credits started airing (with Runner), Weir had stopped wearing the necklace.
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

                    Comment


                      good morning sparkies

                      sooo, what was going on here on the weekend? *am too lazy to re-read all this superlong posts*

                      however, i got a question to all walli-makers in here... i have photoshop cs3 now and i dont know how to import brushes for my wallies without them i'm unable to do a wallpaper
                      anyone who can help me?

                      Comment


                        Hey sorry Eri13 I shouldn't skip ahead. In fact, I should go back and read the rules!! I also have a dodgy internet connection (if you knew how many times I have nearly thrown my computer out the window..... no joke). So I'm presuming we are still meant to be on The Brotherhood? I agree the end scene(s) in the control room is all about how it is played. I've often wondered about how much is the actors, the directors, the editors, the score etc. But they played that one well. It's just "you weren't here, this is what we did, oh okay". No second guessing, no if only. Not really a lot of latitude for sparky exactly, but you still get the sense that they trust each other now, which apparently they didn't just a few eps back.

                        And to the comment that Sparky is all in the eyes, yes a lot of it is. Torri has these really amazing eyes. They just draw you in. Captivating.

                        And re fanboy's wet dream, it's just what TPTB think is FWD. I wouldn't have used that expression myself. What's really odd is that I never really noticed it back in the day, but I've always thought they dressed Teyla to promote her figure, but upon rewatching s1 I see that she wasn't the only one. I gather TH hated her base uniform (why did she have to wear the same thing for three years??), but it's quite flattering in some areas
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Torri012 View Post
                          good morning sparkies

                          sooo, what was going on here on the weekend? *am too lazy to re-read all this superlong posts*

                          however, i got a question to all walli-makers in here... i have photoshop cs3 now and i dont know how to import brushes for my wallies without them i'm unable to do a wallpaper
                          anyone who can help me?
                          Torri - to load brushes, select your brush tool. Them on the top toolbar, click on the down arrow button next to the brush. You will see a side arrow, click on it and one of the options is "load brush" ... navigate to where you keep your brushes & voila.
                          sig made by me

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by gateraid View Post

                            And to the comment that Sparky is all in the eyes, yes a lot of it is. Torri has these really amazing eyes. They just draw you in. Captivating.
                            I agree, love is hidden in the eyes. That's why these two look at each other so much. Picspam, because I can.



                            John concerned for Old!Weir



                            Elizabeth, desperate to see John being tortured and not able to help him

                            I'm home - yes you are looks:












                            The I believe in you look


                            I go awwww every time I see this one




                            If he was a dog he'd be wagging his tail here





                            Trying to read each other



                            Mutual look of doom directed at Rodney. Run Rodney, run!
                            I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by justhere1971 View Post
                              Torri - to load brushes, select your brush tool. Them on the top toolbar, click on the down arrow button next to the brush. You will see a side arrow, click on it and one of the options is "load brush" ... navigate to where you keep your brushes & voila.
                              aww thanks justhere
                              i will try it as soon as i'm home... sounds a bit complicated though

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Torri012 View Post
                                aww thanks justhere
                                i will try it as soon as i'm home... sounds a bit complicated though
                                That's why adobe photoshop is not user friendly... every time I see it I'm near a nervous breakdown.
                                I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X