X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Torri012 View Post
    ooooh. i cant wait to read it *already drools*
    do i get my credit? *rofl*lol*

when you think the ff is finnished?? *jumps nervous from one leg to the other one*
    As soon as it's beta'd it will go up. You'll have to nudge the beta reader to get it quicker.

Hope you don't mind mcat I passed the last chapter to Suz since you already have two chapters *hugs* and I didn't want to pile them up on you.
    Will indeed add you to the credit’s list T when I get round to it.
    BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

Comment

So I put my videos into one place. Here be the links: http://anuna-81.livejournal.com/60941.html#cutid1
      I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormhole View Post
        As soon as it's beta'd it will go up. You'll have to nudge the beta reader to get it quicker.
        tell me who it is and I'll do it

Comment

Hello Sparkies!

I'm feeling much better today and I'm so glad you've started on BIS discussion! I won't try and quote everything everyone's said, but I agree with pretty much everything...except I did like the Janus parts. I thought it was cool we got to see the Asian ancient, Merlin and Janus as a part of Atlantis's history...and watching Elizabeth sacrifice 10,000 years to save the future is always elegantly bittersweet for me. Seeing her alone on that landing, waiting for her future is so lonely it always makes me tear up.

Anyways...you guys have hit up the best scene, the gift giving, so all I'll say is that considering it is the one and only time we celebrate anyone's birthday on Atlantis, that's pretty significant. And the fact that John not only knows it's her birthday (and found out covertly), but also knows her special likes (her love of artifacts and other culture's works) shows how close he at least feels to her. No wonder he smirks:

Moving on, I thought this was a pretty cool shot:

Wonder if Torri got to keep that wax figurine?

I really loved the flashback sequences that had them reshoot some of the pilot. You can sorta tell which is inserted more recently--in fact, I think there's a mistake somewhere and someone addresses someone by their name, or something, but it's still neat to see:

One of my favorite scenes is the retelling of how Rodney (then later, John) died. The fact Rodney did so heroically isn't much of a surprise to us, but I absolutely love John's reaction--sort of a 'haha, you died' and Rodney getting all defensive. And both Elizabeth's give that 'boys will be boys' look yet again.

But you're right...we've all voted this episode one of the top Sparky episodes--the birthday gift being the reason, of course, but it also has the quiet moment where John and Elizabeth discuss her mortality. To be honest, I can't watch these episodes yet...more on that at the bottom.

Silly Rodney...always poking his head in where not wanted!

Ancient Elizabeth does something which, if you're a sparky fan, you may notice off the bat--she always calls John "John" and she addresses him with a lot of emotion when describing his actions. I thought that was interesting, the way Torri chose to play her older self. She doesn't just remember them, she remembers them fondly, and closely, though she didn't know them for long.

I really did like Janus. I thought he was a compelling character--I never watched the final seasons of SG-1, so someone will have to tell me if he showed up there. I would have liked to have seen him again as an Ascended. He and Torri had really good chemistry, and he obviously had a fondness for her.

The only thing that surprised me a bit was how they had her die. She dies 'alone' (as in they're not paying attention) rather than with the other Elizabeth at her side. Is it because they want her to be relishing how her younger self is excited, and off to new adventures? Or is it enough she's in their company? I felt very sad that she took that last breath with no one looking.

But Torri looked lovely in this episode, and she did a great job as both regular and Ancient Elizabeth. I think the featurette on "Before I Sleep" mentions she was in the makeup chair somewhere around 5 hours? to get all that makeup put on.

And by the way, the lovely, well-manicured hands that grasp Elizabeth's as she dies (and previously stroked young Elizabeth's cheek) is Torri's stand-in/body double, who is a lovely young actress, also seen on the featurette.

Probably my second favorite scene (stands close second to the gift) is the end sequence, with Elizabeth using the jar John gave her for her birthday as an urn for her own ashes--which also happens to be the day she died? *shakes head in bogglement*

Anyways, as she lets the ashes float over Atlantis (there's something about the way Torri lays her fingers atop that jar that fascinates me for some reason--her fingers look so LONG), and John comes striding out, all hero pose:

I love his expression, how tender and careful he is with her. And I love that she calls him back to let him know she needs a little more time...and he acknowledges and leaves her alone.

I'm an 'action and adventure' girl, meaning I enjoy seeing romance sparked on the run. Probably why I favor "The Storm/The Eye" and other life-peril episodes as my favorite Sparky moments. But the quiet moments, like these, particularly in Atlantis, which doesn't boast romance to speak of, reinforces those connections and deepens them when there is no crisis at hand. I felt like Elizabeth expected the support and strength she got from John without having to ask, and that Ancient Elizabeth didn't find it odd at all that he was always there with her. Of course, they couldn't get into the nitty gritty details (where was Sumner? Who's that chick with the midriff top?) but at the same time, the split timeline John was the same as real-timeline John, particularly in Elizabeth's expectations.

I love seeing how Elizabeth was willing to risk 10,000 years of her life to save them and the city she loved. Which is why "Before I Sleep" remains bittersweet for me. I can't watch it yet, and I can't watch it for the same reason I can't watch First Strike. I can't stand to see how Elizabeth developed in this story, how far she was willing to go, and how easily they disposed of her.

She receives a little redemption in Lifeline. Without going so far as to spoil, it's not an unworthy episode for her. But at the same time, whenever anyone questions Elizabeth's worth as a character, I point first to "Before I Sleep". Hypothetically there are a million reasons why Atlantis may have never been, but to have an entire canon episode devoted to it makes this particular reason special.

I hate they basically forgot that. And while I stand by my principle of giving production the right to change the story as they see fit, in my heart it grieves me they couldn't see the value of her character as they developed her in the beginning. *end sobby fan whine*

So glad to be back and feeling better.
          Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

And BTW, congrats on 57,000 posts, Sparkies!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post

I love seeing how Elizabeth was willing to risk 10,000 years of her life to save them and the city she loved. Which is why "Before I Sleep" remains bittersweet for me. I can't watch it yet, and I can't watch it for the same reason I can't watch First Strike. I can't stand to see how Elizabeth developed in this story, how far she was willing to go, and how easily they disposed of her.

She receives a little redemption in Lifeline. Without going so far as to spoil, it's not an unworthy episode for her. But at the same time, whenever anyone questions Elizabeth's worth as a character, I point first to "Before I Sleep". Hypothetically there are a million reasons why Atlantis may have never been, but to have an entire canon episode devoted to it makes this particular reason special.

I hate they basically forgot that. And while I stand by my principle of giving production the right to change the story as they see fit, in my heart it grieves me they couldn't see the value of her character as they developed her in the beginning. *end sobby fan whine*

So glad to be back and feeling better.

Same here. They basically chose to forget how important she is and to send her packing in the lamest possible way - sacrifice her and then forget her in favor of their action figures which now, lack continuity and decent character development. Yes I said that. Come and sue me. *angry*

By demoting Elizabeth's importance they put a foot into their own mouth, and that's not a "creative decision", that's not "giving a character a new direction" how the current show producer likes to say in his blog of hell, it's a lame, bad move of lazy and unimaginative writing. (yes I am feeling angry today. I didn't get the job for which I am fully qualified. Some local person was chosen over me because of... who knows. But it's not for her superior competence).

Back to topic, writing some fluff may prove to be therapeutic, so I might do a little BIS fluff after I return home from my driving lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                And BTW, congrats on 57,000 posts, Sparkies!!!

WOOOT!!!! GO SPARKIES!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Torri012 View Post
                  tell me who it is and I'll do it
                  Hinted in my last post.

Yay! 57.000, who's got those mints?

"Look they've started the fireworks already."
                  To busy looking at John to notice .
                  BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                    I guess I could round my videos up in one place. *grin* And I just got Sony Vegas - it looks like a great program, now I just have to learn how to make videos with it.
                    I need to do that round up thing too. When I get time.

Originally posted by sofie View Post
                    OT:

lol I don't know who they are, but I do know how exciting it is to go see a band/siinger you love. Saterday I'm going to Kelly Clarkson's concert, and I'm SO excited, she's fantastic
                    Oooh, now I know who she is. *grin* I saw Kathy Mattea last night in a wonderful small theater. She was great, and so tiny but with that big voice. She does a great Sparky song. Pardon the 80's hair. She looks much better now.

Goin' Gone
                    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

E: Have you heard? We're still hot!

J: But of course we are! We rock!

Comment

And just because I can and we deserve some pretty:

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                          Same here. They basically chose to forget how important she is and to send her packing in the lamest possible way - sacrifice her and then forget her in favor of their action figures which now, lack continuity and decent character development. Yes I said that. Come and sue me. *angry*

By demoting Elizabeth's importance they put a foot into their own mouth, and that's not a "creative decision", that's not "giving a character a new direction" how the current show producer likes to say in his blog of hell, it's a lame, bad move of lazy and unimaginative writing. (yes I am feeling angry today. I didn't get the job for which I am fully qualified. Some local person was chosen over me because of... who knows. But it's not for her superior competence).

Back to topic, writing some fluff may prove to be therapeutic, so I might do a little BIS fluff after I return home from my driving lesson.
                          I agree, and because this is my evil #666 post, I shall feel free to allow smilies to express my aggravation:

I'm not a good ranter, but I can get my heart broken and it still is over Elizabeth. I still find her one of the best examples of the way females should be written in sci-fi (and beyond) and the fact that no one noticed IS heartbreaking. I don't just take issue with the new show runners because her death was originally suggested by the old ones--in my opinion everyone is to blame.

I don't question the business angle of things--what goes on behind the scenes is never made completely clear even with blogs and interviews--but I do think that, as you balance out creativity, business and personal woes, you have to keep the fans as 1/3 of that balance, too. I look at shows like NCIS, where Donald Bellasario bowed out because of grievances he had with Mark Harmon--but knowing the show would suffer if Harmon left, he chose to step back. Or LOST, where the creators do kill off characters, which doesn't please everyone, but at least the characters were treated with dignity and affection from beginning to end.

I wish Elizabeth had been treated that way...either way--not somewhere in the middle, which is where I feel she's stuck now. Sometimes I really wish we did have one of Janus's time-shift do-hickey devices that could let us restore Weir back again.

Comment

Hey everybody, I want to shear my little picture that I did of Elizabeth as a nightelf, I know it´s not really connected to sparky but I´ll hope you´ll still like it . I´m really happy with the out come of this picture it took me a day to get the color and stuff right, I´m really proud of this anyway enjoy. I would love to know what you guys think .

Comment

Originally posted by emerald_day View Post
                              Hey everybody, I want to shear my little picture that I did of Elizabeth as a nightelf, I know it´s not really connected to sparky but I´ll hope you´ll still like it . I´m really happy with the out come of this picture it took me a day to get the color and stuff right, I´m really proud of this anyway enjoy. I would love to know what you guys think .

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...thNightelf.jpg
                              Wow. That's intriguing on so many levels. I don't know what a nightelf is but she makes a good one.

And Sparky party: 57,000!!!

sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                                Wow. That's intriguing on so many levels. I don't know what a nightelf is but she makes a good one.

And Sparky party: 57,000!!!

Thanks, I agree she would make a good nightelf, I can explain what a nightelf is, It´s one of the raises in World of Warcraft internet-game. Nightelfs are my most favorite of the raises in World of Warcraft though I don´t play the game much.

Comment

Working...
                                X