Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OLA! *waves from Cullera, Spain*

And since I have a clear view of the port of Valencia, I'm back tracking marine traffic. So far, it's mostly oiltankers, one or two container ships and 1 cruise ship.

Also a lot of fishing boats and a few sailboats but those are of lesser interest.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    No, but with Navy's string of losses, the Falcons are still firmly in the lead and really in no danger of losing the Cup this year.
    Yeah, I don't think that boat will come back up from the bottom of the ocean.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I went to the beach again this morning, and it was beautiful! (Pictures on Insta and FB). But dude, I am so freaking chilled now. Brrrrr! Cold!!! I haven't turned the heat on in my house yet, and each day I am really inching towards it.

ETA: Just turned the heat on. It's 37 F (3 C) outside, 56 F inside (13 C). I can't stand it! This is the earliest I've turned the heat on since I've lived alone. I feel like a wimp.
      Last edited by JT-2; 09 November 2023, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
        I went to the beach this morning. Very cute doggo on the beach.
        Yay! Doggos on the beach!

SK - you were on super early this morning! Trip to the mainland?
        Yep! And another one next week.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        OLA! *waves from Cullera, Spain*

And since I have a clear view of the port of Valencia, I'm back tracking marine traffic. So far, it's mostly oiltankers, one or two container ships and 1 cruise ship.

Also a lot of fishing boats and a few sailboats but those are of lesser interest.
        Neat! I should take a look at the local marine traffic more often. It's fun!

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Yeah, I don't think that boat will come back up from the bottom of the ocean.

I went to the beach again this morning, and it was beautiful! (Pictures on Insta and FB). But dude, I am so freaking chilled now. Brrrrr! Cold!!! I haven't turned the heat on in my house yet, and each day I am really inching towards it.

ETA: Just turned the heat on. It's 37 F (3 C) outside, 56 F inside (13 C). I can't stand it! This is the earliest I've turned the heat on since I've lived alone. I feel like a wimp.
        Yeah, it's been really chilly out here too. Not fun out on the ferries in winter.

We turned the heat on a couple of weeks ago, so we're definitely wimpier!
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

13°C outside in Belgium. Around 20°C in Spain... I'm going to be so cold tomorrow when I get home. I'll probably put on an extra sweater and hide underneath a blanket or two to acclimatize again.

Comment

Yep! And another one next week.
            Oh, dear!! That's a lot!

Yeah, it's been really chilly out here too. Not fun out on the ferries in winter.

We turned the heat on a couple of weeks ago, so we're definitely wimpier!

Well, everyone likes to joke that I'm a polar bear because I like the cold so much. And I do, but so many days of that kind of bone chilling coldness was getting to me.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus
            13°C outside in Belgium. Around 20°C in Spain... I'm going to be so cold tomorrow when I get home. I'll probably put on an extra sweater and hide underneath a blanket or two to acclimatize again.
            Oooh, Spain sounds lovely!!! (And Belgium doesn't sound too bad, either!) But yes, your body is going to be confused when you get home.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Oh, dear!! That's a lot!
              Yep. Gotta fully stock the pantry before the winter really sets in. Speaking of which...

Well, everyone likes to joke that I'm a polar bear because I like the cold so much. And I do, but so many days of that kind of bone chilling coldness was getting to me.
              Ugh, yeah that reminds me of when we get the northern winds out of the Fraser River valley in Canada. BRRRRRRR!
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Ugh, yeah that reminds me of when we get the northern winds out of the Fraser River valley in Canada. BRRRRRRR!
                Yeah, I hear you. It wasn't just cold, it was damp and cold. I think the dampness is what really got to me. Especially after spending so much time at the beach.

No beach trip today. I had a package coming that needed to be signed for, so I had to sit at home all day. And tonight I have to pick up my sister and her friend from the airport. They are supposed to be coming in around 11pm. I just hope they're not delayed, cause this could get really late if they are.

ETA: They did arrive at 11pm like intended, but then they had to wait for a very long time to taxi to the gate. My little local airport is comically small. Anyway, I didn't get home until 12:30am. Still, could have been much, much worse. Last year their flight was delayed for 4 hours.
                Last edited by JT-2; 11 November 2023, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family and College Football Saturday! Good luck to everyone's teams!

And a peaceful Veterans Day (and Armistice Day for those of you in Europe and elsewhere). As always, deepest gratitude to those who have served.

Yeah, I hear you. It wasn't just cold, it was damp and cold. I think the dampness is what really got to me. Especially after spending so much time at the beach.

No beach trip today. I had a package coming that needed to be signed for, so I had to sit at home all day. And tonight I have to pick up my sister and her friend from the airport. They are supposed to be coming in around 11pm. I just hope they're not delayed, cause this could get really late if they are.

ETA: They did arrive at 11pm like intended, but then they had to wait for a very long time to taxi to the gate. My little local airport is comically small. Anyway, I didn't get home until 12:30am. Still, could have been much, much worse. Last year their flight was delayed for 4 hours.
                  Whew, at least there were no delays this time! 4 hours is just nuts!

To add to the weather reports, we had crazy winds along with rain last night. Out of the south, so at least it wasn't freezing, but ugh! Power flickered briefly but actually stayed on. Surprise surprise!

Comment

To add to the weather reports, we had crazy winds along with rain last night. Out of the south, so at least it wasn't freezing, but ugh! Power flickered briefly but actually stayed on. Surprise surprise!
                    So glad you didn't lose power!!

I hope everyone's teams do well. The Patriots are playing in Germany on Sunday morning. They get to lose in a whole new country!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

So glad you didn't lose power!!
                      Me too! Especially as how the worst of it was overnight.

I hope everyone's teams do well. The Patriots are playing in Germany on Sunday morning. They get to lose in a whole new country!

And on that note, here's this week's College Football Roundup! It was a mixed bag as USC fell to Oregon 36-27 (heavy sigh), Tennessee fell to Missouri 36-7, Rhode Island beat North Carolina A&T 31-24, and in the Atlantis Cup standings, Air Force fell to Hawai'i 27-13, and Navy beat UAB 31-6. On to next week!

Comment

And on that note, here's this week's College Football Roundup! It was a mixed bag as USC fell to Oregon 36-27 (heavy sigh), Tennessee fell to Missouri 36-7, Rhode Island beat North Carolina A&T 31-24, and in the Atlantis Cup standings, Air Force fell to Hawai'i 27-13, and Navy beat UAB 31-6. On to next week!
                        Sorry about the USC loss.

The Patriots did, indeed, lose while playing in Germany. Actually, it was a piss poor game for both teams and not a very good representation of the sport for our German friends. The Raiders won their second game in a row since firing their coach and general manager. But I'm not getting excited because both teams were crap themselves, and this last game was still a nail-biter despite the other team playing so poorly. Their next 3 matches are against very good teams. So, I'm enjoying a win while I can.
                        Last edited by JT-2; 13 November 2023, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Sorry about the USC loss.
                          Me too. This isn't looking good going into The Game against UCLA on Saturday.

And my mutual condolences on the Patriots and congrats on the Raiders. Speaking of which...

The Patriots did, indeed, lose while playing in Germany. Actually, it was a piss poor game for both teams and not a very good representation of the sport for our German friends. The Raiders won their second game in a row since firing their coach and general manager. But I'm not getting excited because both teams were crap themselves, and this last game was still a nail-biter despite the other team playing so poorly. Their next 3 matches are against very good teams. So, I'm enjoying a win while I can.
                          Heh! That's the spirit!

Comment

Hey Zandras_Ashes, if you're lurking around... I thought I should tell you that some of your fics were getting love on the Sparky Discord server.

Me too. This isn't looking good going into The Game against UCLA on Saturday.
                            Oh no!! Maybe it'll make them more hungry for a win?

Heh! That's the spirit!
                            Well, their next 3 games are against:
                            1. Dolphins (6-3 leaders of AFC East)
                            2. Chiefs (7-2 leaders of AFC West, and last year's Superbowl winners)
                            3. Vikings (6-4, second place of NFC North)

Comment

Air Force falling to Hawai'i -- great! Even the Falcons can't make this day better.

I had the day off so obviously I was going to enjoy it the to the fullest, especially since as soon as I set foot in the Belgian weather (it's pathetic), my horrendous cold makes a comeback. Yay me!

Started with a hot bath... and then all went to hell in a handbasket...

My hot water had filled up nicely while I was finishing my breakfast (coffee and a croissant), and filled out my last sudoku of the 4 on page 5 of my puzzlebook. I go back upstairs, turn on the cold faucet to bring the bath to my preferred temperature, step outside for a minute to get something, return and ... there's no cold water running.

For a moment I thought I'd turned it back off but nope the faucet was still very much open but not even a drop of cold water was coming out. I texted my sister who was at the office, asking her if there were waterworks planned that I didn't know of, but nope no such thing.

I wait around for a bit before I call the waterprovider -- spend about 5 minutes on hold and end up with someone from client service that I could barely understand. She turns out to be anything but helpful when she announces she'll send someone over from the technical service to come check out what could be wrong.

[sidenote: noone from their service showed up today -- no running water as such is present therefore]

Okay, expecting that to mean I can't leave the house, I stay in and watch season 2 of Time which I recorded over the past 3 weeks (series about prison inmates -- season 2 is about a female prison and stars Jodie Whittaker and Bella Ramsey).

As no tech-person is showing up, I remember something about the main faucet so I head out into the garage, slip on the mat and hit my knee (it's going to show all the colors of the rainbow in the coming days -- yes, it was that painful), curse up a storm when I suddenly hear the sound of water dripping.

WE SPRUNG A BLOODY LEAK!

As our water is very chalky, we have a filter to make it less chalky but apparently it clogged itself up and now it's keeping the water from getting to our faucets. It was also leaking.

Drove the car out, made room, hit my knee again, cursed up another typhoon... and then cleaned out the water and MacGuyver'ed a system with plastic bottles and a bucket so I didn't have to check on the damn thing every half hour.

As they maintenance of the filter is scheduled for tomorrow, I thought I'd give the company a call cause maybe I could turn the damn thing off and thereby get the water flowing again.
                              I spend close to 12 minutes on hold -- put the phone on speaker -- cursed up another hurricane which in hindsight could have been very awkward if the client service had chosen to keep my on hold for less time than they did.

HOWEVER... they were very helpful and gave me instructions on how to turn the filter off. Small detail, they send the video to my sister's email and when she forwarded it, she forgot to include the attachment so I had to wait until she got home.

Long story short: we managed to turn the filter off but we still don't have any water running from the faucets so now we're using Evian water to brush our teeth and wash our hands.

Tomorrow the saga continues...

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Falcon Horus! That is NOT a happy day! Here's hoping the water gets fixed quickly! *hugs*

Oh no!! Maybe it'll make them more hungry for a win?
                                I sure hope so. It'd be nice to at least win this one.

Well, their next 3 games are against:
                                1. Dolphins (6-3 leaders of AFC East)
                                2. Chiefs (7-2 leaders of AFC West, and last year's Superbowl winners)
                                3. Vikings (6-4, second place of NFC North)

*gulps* Oh dear...

Comment

Working...
                                X