Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    I just read it. Seems a little late to say that same-sex pairings are okay.
    Far too late, and feeble at best.

I am wondering if they're trying to cut expenses... if those threads are the most active, then shutting them down cuts costs?
    What costs?

The only thing it'll cost them is members... and that might just include me at this point.

I feel a certain disrespect towards the oldies in favor of the newbies, and in that regard, if you don't respect the old, you don't deserve the new either (=> literal Dutch translation).
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      What costs?

The only thing it'll cost them is members... and that might just include me at this point.

I feel a certain disrespect towards the oldies in favor of the newbies, and in that regard, if you don't respect the old, you don't deserve the new either (=> literal Dutch translation).
      Well, domain names and server space, etc? Idk.

I hear what you're saying, though. I think we've always been nice to newbies if they wander in here. *shrugs*

That said - if there any lurkers, come on out. We don't bite. Much.

Comment

Well, domain names and server space, etc? Idk.
        I've maintained a website once -- that's not costing you a fortune.

Comment

I've maintained a website once -- that's not costing you a fortune.
          Oh, okay. Then I'm just really confused as to why they made those changes. The place was already dying down. I rarely venture outside this thread anymore, though, so maybe there were problems in other places?

Comment

Oh, okay. Then I'm just really confused as to why they made those changes. The place was already dying down. I rarely venture outside this thread anymore, though, so maybe there were problems in other places?
            The problem is Gateworld's reputation of being highly intolerant of opposing viewpoints, of being homophobic and transphobic, and of not stepping in when people are deliberately hateful of others.

Things that even for our warzone were far out of line -- we were self-moderating because the mods rarely stepped in.

I was surprised to learn a while back how many members no longer post here because of the lack of inclusion and tolerance towards, among other things same-sex relationships (which do feature in Stargate on a small scale -- SGU and SGO), and the lack of moderation in other areas.

It's more to do with Gateworld's image to the outside fandom world, and hoping that some might return and attract newbies to keep the place on its feet but with no new stargate there's only so much you can continue to talk about.

I don't know...

I personally think that Gateworld is trying to salvage a sinking ship... Who knows maybe they'll stay afloat? Maybe they won't. Nothing lasts forever.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Same here, I only ever come to this thread now, so I guess that's why I haven't noticed anything different.

I can understand wanting to "get back to basics," as it were, and refocus on the reason for the site's existence--Stargate--but with no new content/merch to discuss... Yeah, I don't see how restricting discussion topics is necessarily a good thing. Well, I guess we'll see how this all pans out.
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                Same here, I only ever come to this thread now, so I guess that's why I haven't noticed anything different.
                You need to get out more...

I can understand wanting to "get back to basics," as it were, and refocus on the reason for the site's existence--Stargate--but with no new content/merch to discuss... Yeah, I don't see how restricting discussion topics is necessarily a good thing. Well, I guess we'll see how this all pans out.
                I think, if I may make a prediction, that without new stargate the forum is doomed to die a slow death.

I mean, the forum's been bleeding members since the shows ended. There was a slight uptick with Origins, but after that too went away, so did the posting.

And let's face it, forums are a thing of the passed. I think if you look at the average age on Gateworld that you would end up in the 35 to 45 range -- people who used message boards and forums to communicate for the longest time -- and for whom the limited characters of other social media feels restrictive.

We're basically a dying breed.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

I only come here also and haven't even looked anywhere else for maybe a year until yesterday. I don't see any difference either but understand the need to get rid of places nobody ever goes.

On the free speech thing, I think the last thing they want is free speech unless it's politically correct. True free speech will be chaos because some people can't handle anyone who disagrees with them.

I think, if I may make a prediction, that without new stargate the forum is doomed to die a slow death.

I mean, the forum's been bleeding members since the shows ended. There was a slight uptick with Origins, but after that too went away, so did the posting.

And let's face it, forums are a thing of the passed. I think if you look at the average age on Gateworld that you would end up in the 35 to 45 range -- people who used message boards and forums to communicate for the longest time -- and for whom the limited characters of other social media feels restrictive.

I'm surprised it's lasted this long frankly. Look at us. We seldom talk about the show but we enjoy sharing our lives. I have loved being able to interact with people from other countries and other areas of belief and thought. I don't know why everyone can't show each other the grace that we do.
                  Last edited by Southern Red; 25 January 2020, 04:26 AM.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                    On the free speech thing, I think the last thing they want is free speech unless it's politically correct. True free speech will be chaos because some people can't handle anyone who disagrees with them.
                    Indeed.

I'm surprised it's lasted this long frankly. Look at us. We seldom talk about the show but we enjoy sharing our lives. I have loved being able to interact with people from other countries and other areas of belief and thought. I don't know why everyone can't show each other the grace that we do.
                    I think you're both right. This place has evolved away from it's original focus, and it's only us stubborn curmudgeons who have kept the home fires burning, so to speak.

Surely, we'll gravitate toward other social media if this place goes down. Quite a few of us are on Tumblr, there's Pillowfort trying to pick up steam (kind of a cross between the best of LiveJournal/Dreamwidth and the best of Tumblr), and there are other forums for other fandoms and interests still going strong. It just won't be the same.
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

It's actually quite ironic that whole "free speech" thing. It's one the things we talked about in the politics threads on more than one occasion, and it always came down to it being free up to a point because someone's always going to stifle it, or restrict it.

However, we always agreed that people can say whatever they want but others have the right to ignore them and not listen. Doesn't mean you have to agree to disagree, you can just not listen and go about your own way. Nobody's forcing anyone to listen to everyone so there...

I think... anyway...

I absolutely adore all you guys!!

I think about you people often in my daily lives and I'm telling my sister about Thing 1 and Thing 2. About you folks.
                      You are a part of my life now. You are a part of my dysfunctional online family and I .... love you to pieces and would miss you very much if you weren't here anymore.

So... err... what's up?

...there's Pillowfort ...
                      The name alone.

Googles it immediately.

Edit

For anyone interested: Pillowfort.social

Edit 2
                      It seems to be in open beta right now, which does require a 5 dollar payment to enter it:

Joining Pillowfort is easy! For a one-time $5 registration fee you will gain access to our open beta.

This one-time fee helps us pay our expenses such as server costs and compensating our development & support team while we develop our long-term business plan. Registration will be free once we exit open beta.

Pillowfort is committed to keeping our user-experience a priority and not being beholden to outside interests. That is why we chose to be a primarily user-funded platform without any financial assistance from investors or venture capital funding.
                      So it's not yet another option.

I'm on Dreamwidth though.

Comment

It's actually quite ironic that whole "free speech" thing. It's one the things we talked about in the politics threads on more than one occasion, and it always came down to it being free up to a point because someone's always going to stifle it, or restrict it.

However, we always agreed that people can say whatever they want but others have the right to ignore them and not listen. Doesn't mean you have to agree to disagree, you can just not listen and go about your own way. Nobody's forcing anyone to listen to everyone so there...

I think... anyway...
                        I took a look at that politics thread and ran like the wind. Personal insults and ignorance do not attract me. If you're an American read the flipping Constitution why don't you and don't pontificate if you aren't 100% sure of your facts. Opinion depends on who you believe but historical facts are not in dispute. (I specifically was horrified at what some believe about the Presidential line of succession.) And then there were those who insult other people's religion. The free expression clause is there for a reason. So maybe Gateworld could have a little talk with some of those people. I don't think free speech means what they think it means. Discernment is an important part of any free society, so I exercise mine by ignoring those who insult my beliefs. I wish everybody did.

HUGS!!!

I'm not interested in broadening my social media presence, so if this thread closes we'll have to part ways. Thing 1 and Thing 2 will miss you. BTW, they had their first visit to the ice cream store yesterday. They got chocolate. Enough said.
                        sigpic

Comment

BTW, they had their first visit to the ice cream store yesterday. They got chocolate. Enough said.
                          Oh... do tell...

Let me guess, they put the washer to the test and see if it was able to clean their chocolate stained clothes.

For the record, that's what I would do. Put those washing soap adverts to the ultimate test.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

I think about you people often in my daily lives and I'm telling my sister about Thing 1 and Thing 2. About you folks.
                            You are a part of my life now. You are a part of my dysfunctional online family and I .... love you to pieces and would miss you very much if you weren't here anymore.

So... err... what's up?
                            *HUGS YOU* I know, right? I'd miss all of you terribly. Gotta be a way to keep as many of us together as we can...

The name alone.

Googles it immediately.

Edit

For anyone interested: Pillowfort.social

Edit 2
                            It seems to be in open beta right now, which does require a 5 dollar payment to enter it:

So it's not yet another option.

I'm on Dreamwidth though.
                            Or...if you know someone on Pillowfort (like me), we can make 3 free invite codes a week... PM me!

I'm not interested in broadening my social media presence, so if this thread closes we'll have to part ways. Thing 1 and Thing 2 will miss you. BTW, they had their first visit to the ice cream store yesterday. They got chocolate. Enough said.
                            You'll still be on Facebook though, right? *wibbles*

OMG the twins.

Oh... do tell...

Let me guess, they put the washer to the test and see if it was able to clean their chocolate stained clothes.

For the record, that's what I would do. Put those washing soap adverts to the ultimate test.

Comment

Oh... do tell...

According to the pics I saw, the clothes seemed to be fine. The faces, however, were another story. They got a chance to practice their spoon handling skills. I wonder what kids think when you tell them they can no longer eat with their fingers. Confused much?

Yes, SK, I will continue on Facebook as long as my friends hang around.
                              sigpic

Comment

I wonder what kids think when you tell them they can no longer eat with their fingers. Confused much?
                                I'll tell you what they think: "Where's the fun in that?" (I still, to this day, wonder about that. )

Comment

Working...
                                X