No announcement yet.

Carson Beckett/Paul McGillion Thunk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hehe, I was a late comer to the Rodney/David area (though I've totally made up for the time missed lol).

Thanks for explaning what thunk meant, lol, I didn't want to sound dorky and ask so I just guessed it was like a "thinker" version of a hunk hence forth thunk, but alas thud-like word makes more sense lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheveron7Locked
      Thanks for explaning what thunk meant, lol, I didn't want to sound dorky and ask so I just guessed it was like a "thinker" version of a hunk hence forth thunk, but alas thud-like word makes more sense lol.
      Haha, I kept thinking I was missing something until I eventually asked what the heck they were talking about. We need a user manual.

Now for the *Thunk*

Oh dear, Lab coat and gloves.

Yea, I am pretty speechless too. *Thunk*

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
        *stops breathing* Even more labcoat. And gloves. Geez, you're killing me here, you know that?

Oh, and your opening credit pics for Paul are really great! I was waiting for his part in the opening credits since the moment I heard he'd be a regular, and now they stole it from us, our preciousss...
        But we won't let them depress us, right? So smile for me:

So, where was I? Ah, yes, dying over the labcoat pic. *passes out from lack of air*

Bye, A.

EDIT: I just heard that James Doohan has died. Since I was a fan of the ST classic series as a teenie, he was my first favorite onscreen Scot! Goodbye, Scotty...
        Last edited by Arlessiar; 20 July 2005, 11:52 AM.
        ~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
        ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by Arlessiar
          *stops breathing* Even more labcoat. And gloves. Geez, you're killing me here, you know that?
          Ah but what a way to go.

Speaking of which, yes sad news, I liked the classic ST, and you always waited for the "beam me up Scotty" line which I am not entirely sure they ever said? How appropreate to say that here too.

So, where was I? Ah, yes, dying over the labcoat pic. *passes out from lack of air*
          Bye, A.
          So I have been meaning to ask where does that McKay pic in your sig with him wearing the Labcoat come from? Which ep?

Hmm, two labcoats for the price of one.

Comment

So I have been meaning to ask where does that McKay pic in your sig with him wearing the Labcoat come from? Which ep?
            It's from "Home", I think it was one of the promo pics. It was also in several magazines.
            Hmm, two labcoats for the price of one.
            http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...x/304093a0.jpg
            Thanks! What a way to start the day! Oh, that rhymes...

Bye, A.

Comment

Oh dear, Lab coat and gloves.
              But gah! he's cross-contaminating! Stop that, Paul! Beckett is wearing those gloves for a reason!
              Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Originally posted by Wordsmit2
                But gah! he's cross-contaminating! Stop that, Paul! Beckett is wearing those gloves for a reason!
                Haha, I thought that too, hehe, geez things a pretty bad when we are worried about fictional characters cross-contaminating things.

Home ep? *Leaves to go in search of pics*

Comment

Originally posted by Wordsmit2
                  I hate it when medical things aren't presented at least halfway right in TV shows, and I'm not talking about ER, but the non-medical ones. Want to say, a little research before filming is nice, at least for the obvious things even the standard viewer might know. For example this gloves thing, or Beckett taking the older Elizabeth's blood pressure with the cuff over her clothing (a big no-no, as far as I know) in "Before I sleep". I don't even want to talk about CPR on TV. Of course they cannot do it for real on living people, but that is no excuse for those too slow and obviously unprecise or bad techniques we get to see sometimes. What else? Lively discussions during auscultation. Not wearing gloves when drawing blood (you don't need to when giving injections). Taking the carotid pulse anwhere but not where you can normally feel it. Or the radial pulse with the thumb.
                  Ruins the whole "fiction reality" of a show for me when TV doctors don't know what they're doing! And I'm just an ordinary watcher!
                  Let's hope they have some medical advisor on the SGA set!

Bye, A.

Comment

I hate it when medical things aren't presented at least halfway right in TV shows, and I'm not talking about ER, but the non-medical ones. Want to say, a little research before filming is nice, at least for the obvious things even the standard viewer might know. For example this gloves thing, or Beckett taking the older Elizabeth's blood pressure with the cuff over her clothing (a big no-no, as far as I know) in "Before I sleep". I don't even want to talk about CPR on TV. Of course they cannot do it for real on living people, but that is no excuse for those too slow and obviously unprecise or bad techniques we get to see sometimes. What else? Lively discussions during auscultation. Not wearing gloves when drawing blood (you don't need to when giving injections). Taking the carotid pulse anwhere but not where you can normally feel it. Or the radial pulse with the thumb.
                    Ruins the whole "fiction reality" of a show for me when TV doctors don't know what they're doing! And I'm just an ordinary watcher!
                    Let's hope they have some medical advisor on the SGA set!

Bye, A.
                    Well that was um yes, look I know what you mean, in Hot Zone, they felt for a pulse in the wrong area, but you know it is TV. TV is not known for it's accurate portrayal of much really, I mean don't get me started on the Australian characters on TV, Lost, House, Cath & Kim!

He can only go with what they give him. Be nice.

Comment

Well I am not letting him slip to page2 so even though I have nothing interesting to say, like that ever stops me .

Oh here have a pic, sorry McKay's ear is in it, mmm.

Comment

Well that was um yes, look I know what you mean, in Hot Zone, they felt for a pulse in the wrong area, but you know it is TV. TV is not known for it's accurate portrayal of much really, I mean don't get me started on the Australian characters on TV, Lost, House, Cath & Kim!
                        He can only go with what they give him. Be nice.
                        Hey, don't get me wrong, I don't blame PM for that! I never would!
                        I know that TV shows often aren't very accurate in some areas, and most of the time I accept that. But often it's just sad, because sometimes it wouldn't be very hard to do it accurately. And most of the time they want their shows to feel real, so that the viewer can slip into the story, and those little flaws destroy this "virtual reality" sometimes, at least for me! I'm just sad about that.
                        There are some people on the internet who say that Carson surely must have forgotten a lot of how to practice medicine because he only did research in the past years. But I really don't think so, and so I hope he comes across as the most perfect doc on the screen, just to silence those doubts! But PM needs good scripts and instructions of capable advisors for that, and I hope he gets both (he already has the acting talent).

Bye, A.

Comment

I capped this yesterday, it's from "The Eye". Isn't his look just great? So scared, the poor woobie!

Bye, A.

Comment

I hate it when medical things aren't presented at least halfway right in TV shows, and I'm not talking about ER, but the non-medical ones. Want to say, a little research before filming is nice,
                            The CSI shows are notorious for actors touching their hair, faces, and clothing while investigating crime scenes or working in the lab. Of course those shows seldom bother with coveralls or hair coverings either.

And it *does* count, because a few of the actors are very careful. They *do* get it, and it makes them look real and the others look like...actors.

at least for the obvious things even the standard viewer might know.
                            It's not even a question of prior knowledge. These shows go to all the trouble of making the viewer buy into the show, then they turn around and have all these violations of the rules they've established.

For example this gloves thing,
                            I noticed this one *while watching the episode*. Beckett/McGillion does face and ear touches several times in "Poisoning the Well" alone. I seem to remember McKay/Hewlett does one in "Hot Zone".

or Beckett taking the older Elizabeth's blood pressure with the cuff over her clothing (a big no-no, as far as I know) in "Before I sleep".
                            I can't comment on the plausibility of that particular scene since I don't have it to look at, but it's quite common for real-life doctors and nurses to take blood pressure over one layer of clothing if they're doing it themselves. I don't know if machines care.

I don't even want to talk about CPR on TV. Of course they cannot do it for real on living people, but that is no excuse for those too slow and obviously unprecise or bad techniques we get to see sometimes.
                            I know, I know! Aside from doing proper compressions, all they need to do is plan the camera angles. Use a CPR dummy for the compressions, making sure it's off screen or blocked off or marginally visible, and switch to a live actor or facsimile or go very close up for the breaths (if you even need to show it) or angle it so the breather's head blocks the view when he leans forward. The drama is all in the resuscitator and the bystanders, after all.

To get it right you just need to have someone with experience (e.g. an EMT) work with the actor and director for a bit. Depending on how well-oiled the production team is, it can take surprisingly little time and effort to block, rehearse, and shoot.

What else? Lively discussions during auscultation.
                            Yes! We're conditioned to go quiet and maybe even hold our breath, and there are the characters jabbering away on the screen. C'mon, change camera angles to compress time, or have the patient showing expressions or looking around.

Not wearing gloves when drawing blood
                            Not strictly necessary, but very prudent. A present-day show looks weird without them. You can probably get away with it if your characters are rationing supplies, but it's bizarre in a hospital or crime show.

Taking the carotid pulse anwhere but not where you can normally feel it. Or the radial pulse with the thumb.
                            Yeah, funny that. All the touching actors do, and they don't know how to find a pulse. Just add "not with your thumb" and there you go.

And lets not forget manhandling the unconscious. Fanfic writers howled with outrage when McKay was turned over in "Suspicion".
                            Last edited by Wordsmit2; 21 July 2005, 12:44 PM.
                            Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Hm, this reminds me. Is there anyone here who can do a Delphi search?

You have to be a paying member to search back more than a month, and I'm not going to do that just to find one post from three or four years ago.

I don't even need a copy of the post, just the date, thread title, and section title.

It concerned how a sequence in SG-1's "The Light" should have been blocked. I was startled to see a scene in "Prometheus Unbound" that was rather similar.

PM or email me. Thanks.
                              Last edited by Wordsmit2; 21 July 2005, 12:18 PM.
                              Wordsmit2

Comment

I capped this yesterday, it's from "The Eye". Isn't his look just great? So scared, the poor woobie!
                                http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...iar/Scared.jpg Bye, A.
                                You have inspired me.
                                I am thinking Scottish, I am thinking, Bond, James Bond.

Haha.

Comment

Working...
                                X