No announcement yet.

Carson Beckett/Paul McGillion Thunk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*I realize Dell has blacked out and do the first thing that comes to mind, check her vitals once again, and notice her breathing is shallow. In a moment of smartness, I go running across the room, snatching what I need as I go and round back to the bed I'd placed her on, putting her on oxygen as fast as I can manage, my fingers bumbling a bit before I finally get it*

Is...will she...*I can see the pained look in his eyes as he clasps one of Dell's hands in his, so I compose myself the best I can and look him in the face*

I will make sure she will be fine. No one else will touch her until I am finished, and she will be fine.

Comment

Yay oxygen!
      sigpic

Comment

(Lol sorry was making sure I was right about the injury )

A- *comes running in faster than he should be and takes half a look at Dell before looking back up to me* Injuries?

Broken rib. Punctured her lung if I'm not mistaken. Can you stay with her while I...*I swallow a bit hard* go get some scrubs?

A- Are ye sure ye want to do this y'self? There is a doctor here--*I cut him off*

I will do it myself, A-Carson. Just be with me, give me directions, alright? *I run off to scrub up, come running back a moment later with a proper gurney, and Shep helps me lift Dell across to the gurney, then follows as I wheel her into the operating room* *I turn to Shep, holding the stiff Nurse Becket face and trying not to show how scared I really am*

I'm sorry Shep, you need to wait out here. A-Carson will be coming with me though. *I offer a sympathetic smile* I will send A-Carson for you the moment she's finished.

Al...alright. Be careful with her, Aang. *he sighs a bit shakily and a nurse offers to have a look at his arm as I will be busy a while*

*I nod and close the door behind me, before cutting Dell's BDU jacket and top off and I can already see the bruise forming from the broken rib, which scares me even more, as I look at my big sister's body in front of me and realize what I am about to do*

Sis, I will do this right. I promise you, and I promised Shep. *I give her hand one last squeeze before I move on with the task ahead of me*

A- 'ere is the Anesthetic, Love. *he hands me a needle, which I proceed to empty into my sister's body, then I hook her up to an IV drip, pull on my gloves and set to work*

A- Small incision, Love. All ye need to do is move the rib out of th' lung and sew the lung properly. Then ye bind it a bit tightly after y' sew 'er up so th' rib won't move again. *he is behind me directing every move I make and I am struggling to keep my hands from shaking*

About three hours later as I finally finish what has been the hardest task I have ever had to do...

*I neatly suture the incision I had to make and carefully bind Dell's ribs in place, check her IV drips and then slip off a glove and check her vitals. So far, so good, but I am still scared, though I'm becoming a pro at hiding it*

A-Carson, I'm going to take her and get her situated in a proper room, would you bring Shep in? *he nods and heads off as I peel the other glove off and proceed to switch the bloodied scrub top for the black shirt I'd left behind when I scrubbed up*

*I, with help from a nurse who I finally gave in and allowed to help me, move Dell to a proper infirmary bed and attach her drips, one IV and one slow drip of Morphine for the pain, to that as well as the oxygen tank, then proceed to wheel her to a proper room, where I set a chair on either side of the bed and I sink into one of the chairs, taking Dell's hand in my own, which is visibly shaking by now and the tears of fear I have been holding back all this time begin to flow freely*
        Last edited by Aang; 12 February 2013, 08:57 PM.

Comment

*through my tears, I remember that Beck and Carson are both pretty badly injured upstairs and I manage to clear my head long enough to slap the comm link in my ear and request two nurses to head upstairs and bring them down, settle them in the infirmary where I can keep an eye on everyone*

*moments later, a groggy but somewhat awake Beck and Carson, with Abby planted on Carson's lap, are pushed into the room next door and helped into beds as close to each other as is safe and Abby is settled beside Carson on his bed, I have not let her see Dell because I know she is worried about her Mum and Dad and I don't wish to make it worse for her, so I stay beside Dell, fresh tears still running down my cheeks*

Comment

*Some time later I open my eyes and see the bland white ceiling. I turn my head to one side and see Aang with her eyes closed, asleep that's good, she pushes herself to hard, but you can't stop her, I know, I've tried. I turn me head to the other side and see Shep, his eyes are closed too. I wounder why they are sitting at my bedside. I take a breath in....ahh, crap, that would be why....but then the pain slides away and I'm feeling calm like I'm floating in the sea...I concentrate on the feeling, I can feel myself swaying with the movement of the waves, so relaxing. I move my hand to swirl the water but it doesn't feel right, I try again, no not water, what then? I take a breath in again.

-Ahh, Crap what did I do to myself?
            Dell? Hey how are you? don't try and move, you broke a rib, did it pretty well actually, punctured your lung. Aang operated on you.

-Aang? wow, see I told you she works to hard.
            what? you didn't say anything like that.

-I didn't? I could have sworn....was I in the sea?
            No, must be the drugs, they play with your mind a bit.
            -Ok, I might go back then.
            Back where, you aren't going anywhere.

-Oh, I like the sea, it was nice.
            *Shep looks across the bed at someone, who? I turn my head, I see Aang, she works to hard........*
            sigpic

Comment

*I look up at the sound of Dell's sleep-and-drug muddled voice in my ear and I smile at her*

Sis, good to see you awake! *I am still smiling as I check on everything, mentally kick myself for falling asleep, and change out her IV bag for a fresh one, note the levels on the morphine drip, and then sink back into my chair*

...I begin to see why Carson would not let anyone else take care of Shep after he saved Shep's life. I'm..one thing I picked up in my training is that I am incredibly protective of my um, patients. Mind, I feel a bit bad now for snapping at that first pair of nurses who were only trying to help me. *my face goes a bit pink as I realize I am rambling on at my still drug-muddled sister*

Comment

Ok, I think that is it....hey I do drugs well
                sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, Sis...

Comment

Never had real serious drugs used on me.
                    Not been whumped to hard in RL
                    sigpic

Comment

(Oh one more thing, mostly because I'm a good nurse so I need to remember all of my patients)

*I suddenly remember the others once again and with one last smile, reluctantly leave my sister's bedside and scurry off to the other room, where I find A-Carson sitting in a chair, asleep and cradling a sleeping Abby with his good arm, so I quickly look over his injury, decide it's fine as it is and leave him sleep*

*I then shake Beck gently to wake her up, grateful when she looks up at me and offers a smile before drifting back off to sleep, and then move on to Carson, who seems to have regained some of his color and is awake, watching me*

*smiles at me and then whispers to me as I am checking his IV levels and making sure the pain isn't too much for him* Thank ye so much Aang, for carin' for us all. How ye escaped unscathed, I dinna know, but y've put every fiber o' yerself into keepin' us all alive. Now remember ta rest y'self. Remember how y're always tellin' us Carsons that a worn out doctor isn't much use ta' anyone? Tha' now goes for you as well.

*I smile tiredly, finish checking everything, and then turn to go back to Dell's room* Thanks Carson, it means a lot...to hear that from you. Now you rest up, I need my two Dr. Becketts back in working order soon. *I smile again and go back to Dell's room, where I reclaim my seat beside her bed and let myself drift off into a light sleep, with my radio still on in my ear*

Comment

Originally posted by Dellruby View Post
                        Never had real serious drugs used on me.
                        Not been whumped to hard in RL
                        Then I suppose you're just that good of a writer!
                        And you know I'm rather glad you haven't been whumped too hard in RL...I haven't either

Comment

Originally posted by Aang View Post
                          Then I suppose you're just that good of a writer!
                          And you know I'm rather glad you haven't been whumped too hard in RL...I haven't either
                          Yay us.
                          Now let's not get into the non physical pain whump, because I couldn't say the same there.
                          But that is all tiredly locked away in the back of the brain never to be examined again in this lifetime.
                          Now, it is time for little sis to go to bed and be a good girl about it....do as I say, and tonight I will do the same!
                          sigpic

Comment

Ahm yes. I'm going to bed now as I have to get up idiotically early again tomorrow, so I shall say good night, big Sis

But if I get on at around 7-8am tomorrow (1-2am for you) I expect your light will be out this time.

Ahem where was I? Right.

Good Night!

Comment

Note to self, close down the computer tonight before falling to sleep!
                              sigpic

Comment

Remind me again why I had to get up to see the sunrise? *exhausted face palm*

Comment

Working...
                                X