No announcement yet.

Carson Beckett/Paul McGillion Thunk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I mentioned before, I hope to see Paul at DragonCon at the end of the week. In case I have the opportunity to talk to him, or there's a Q&A, any burning questions?

My kind of guy:
    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
    (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

From Instinct, two of my favorite scientists.

My kind of guy:
      "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
      Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by TJuk
        Oh and another observation, is it just me or has Paul dyed his hair (and eyebrows)? Me likely the natural grey bits...
        From 01x01 Rising

From 02x07 Instinct

I think Carson's hair is pretty much the same color. He has it a little flatter on top. I like his current hair better than season 1. I thought his hair was a little "kewpie doll" sometimes, standing up a little too much.

My kind of guy:

Comment

Originally posted by TJuk
          The biggest things being WTF was Carson thinking (snip)
          Thank you TJuk!

I was startled by the lack of locks too. Just end the scene with the thief grabbing up a knife or a hammer and I'll be happy!

I'm willing to let the phial of retrovirus pass--though I must say the scene where it was shown to Zaddik was indeed as subtle as a sledgehammer--because in my ignorance I'd buy the idea of Beckett doing field tests on tissue samples. And at least it wasn't being oh-so-conveniently carried in a syringe. But he wouldn't need a great big phial of the stuff, and it would have been more dramatically interesting if a disappointingly small amount produced spectacular results. (For that matter, what the heck happened?
          Spoiler:
          I'm guessing the assault on Ellia's Wraith traits caused a sudden surge in the healing ability.
          If Beckett is one of the researchers, he should have been speculating like mad, especially since if he had happened to be killed by a Wraith any unspoken information would have been lost.)

It's not so much that the really bad medical practices make Beckett look like an idiot (um, well...) but that he'd look so much better if the show at least *tried* to make him act like a real doctor. I mean, Weir said he was her "chief surgeon" in "The Intruder".

I actually yelped when once again McKay was manhandled after falling on his head in "Duet". (See also "Suspicion".) Ya know, most TV shows have these nifty things called stretchers (litters). Not to mention cervical collars, backboards... If all else fails, change camera angle so the victim is out of the shot.

Why oh why can't Paul do blurry doctor-looking things in the background or on the fringes? Beckett walks away from the wounded almost as often as Sheppard does. Where's the drama? Beckett has to *fail* sometimes and *succeed* sometimes, so when the patient is a character we know, we'll *worry*. Instead, guest characters are just dropped with a "hey, what's the point, it's not like we need him next week" and the audience is secure in the knowledge that when Beckett actually tries, the character will survive.

If it was Sheppard who got electrocuted in "The Intruder", can you imagine Beckett poking a couple of fingers into his neck and pronouncing him dead? Me neither. If it was McKay who got thrown around by a Wraith, would Beckett have just "given him something for the pain" and walked off? I don't think so.

I miss the Beckett we saw in "Thirty-Eight Minutes" and "Poisoning the Well".
          Last edited by Wordsmit2; 29 August 2005, 01:36 AM.
          Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Originally posted by Wordsmit2
            Thank you TJuk!

I was startled by the lack of locks too. Just end the scene with the thief grabbing up a knife or a hammer and I'll be happy!

I'm willing to let the phial of retrovirus pass--though I must say the scene where it was introduced was indeed as subtle as a sledgehammer--because in my ignorance I'd buy the idea of Beckett doing field tests on tissue samples. And at least it wasn't being oh-so-conveniently carried in a syringe. But he wouldn't need a great big phial of the stuff, and it would have been more dramatically interesting if a disappointingly tiny amount produced spectacular results. (For that matter, what the heck happened?
            Spoiler:
            I'm guessing the assault on Ellia's Wraith traits caused a sudden surge in the healing ability.
            If Beckett is one of the researchers, he should have been speculating like mad, especially since if he had happened to be killed by a Wraith any unspoken information would have been lost.)

It's not so much that the really bad medical practices make Beckett look like an idiot (um, well...) but that he'd look so much better if the show at least *tried* to make him act like a real doctor. I mean, Weir said he was her "chief surgeon" in "The Intruder".

I actually yelped when once again McKay was manhandled after falling on his head in "Duet". (See also "Suspicion".) Ya know, most TV shows have these nifty things called stretchers (litters). Not to mention cervical collars, backboards... If all else fails, change camera angle so the victim is out of the shot.

Why oh why can't Paul do blurry doctor-looking things in the background or on the fringes? Beckett walks away from the wounded almost as often as Sheppard does. Where's the drama? Beckett has to *fail* sometimes and *succeed* sometimes, so when the patient is a character we know, we'll *worry*. Instead, guest characters are just dropped with a "hey, what's the point, it's not like we need him next week" and the audience is secure in the knowledge that when Beckett actually tries, the character will survive.

If it was Sheppard who got electrocuted in "The Intruder", can you imagine Beckett poking a couple of fingers into his neck and pronouncing him dead? Me neither. If it was McKay who got thrown around by a Wraith, would Beckett have just "given him something for the pain" and walked off? I don't think so.

I miss the Beckett we saw in "Thirty-Eight Minutes" and "Poisoning the Well".
            Well, that is great Wordsmit2, you do realise this is the *THUNK* not the Discussion Thread? Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
              From 01x01 Rising

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...t1beckett2.jpg

From 02x07 Instinct

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...nct2320234.jpg
              I think Carson's hair is pretty much the same color. He has it a little flatter on top. I like his current hair better than season 1. I thought his hair was a little "kewpie doll" sometimes, standing up a little too much.
              LMAO! "kewpie doll"!! That is SO true!! Pics of Paul out of character look so much better because he does his hair better!

A lot of folks have been commenting about the colour of his hair. It strikes me as the same colour from season one AND season two. Now that I see these two pics side-by-side I think its a case of the hairdressers for the show switching to a styling gel/foam/spray whatever that's less "glossy" and reflective. In the first season his hair was shiny and picked up the light, this season it looks darker because it isn't shiny.
              just MHO.

oh, and by the way:

****happy dance! GORGEOUS PICS! wiggly wiggly****
              ooooooooooOOOOOOoooooooooooo! Carsonlicious!!

AT
              thistledown
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                Well, that is great Wordsmit2, you do realise this is the *THUNK* not the Discussion Thread? Just wondering.
                1) It was a response to a post in this thread.

2) It was mainly about appearances, not character, which I thought was more thunk-y than discussion-y.

3) Is that a subtle way of asking for a cross-post, or is it snarkiness?
                Last edited by Wordsmit2; 29 August 2005, 03:58 AM. Reason: for clarity
                Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Originally posted by Wordsmit2
                  1) It was a response to a post in this thread.

2) A goodly part of it was about making Beckett "look so much better", which I thought was more thunk-y than discussion-y since it's about appearance not character.

3) Is that a subtle way of asking for a cross-post, or is it snarkiness?
                  Snarky why would you think that? I was merely wondering why such a long wordy post in a basically thunk thread? No offence.

Comment

[QUOTE=Wordsmit2]Thank you TJuk!

*snip*

[QUOTE]

I dont have a problem with the not-so-perfect medical practices, its a scifi show spoilers: (highlight)I can suspend my belief and I dont know that much about medicine so I dont notice it. I like seeing the character expand out of his doctor role, hell I've been screaming and shouting about it. As I've said, whether he's 'Chief Surgeon/CMO' or not he's also a scientist and deserves to be out in the field, plus I love seeing the character get out into the action!!!

What I dont like is his lack of compassion for Ellia. Thats one of the core elements of 'Carson' that big heart and his unconditional compassion to those in need. In 'Duet' he wanted to help the Wraith, a well and truely life sucking, evil Wraith, but in this one he was willing to preform dangerous medical experiements on a 'willing test subject' that showed herself capable of love, fear, compassion and other emotions and was non-threatening....sooooo out of character. And taking the retrovirus in whatever amount, absolute bloody stupidity. Even I know you dont take virus, especially unfinished ones because viruses are unpredictable at the best of times, out of the lab. That was a very very bad plot device so she could change and attack Shep to setup next week. I may have just forgiven that if they found better reasons for having a SMALL amount there, but no. And then for him to wave it around and practically go 'Hey pinochio, wonna be a real boy....er girl??'
                    ...contrived and it makes Beckett look stupid and foolish and he is neither.

Anyways Wordsmith I'm gonna stop ranting...DrWhos'rose is right this is a *THUNK* thread....bring on the *THUNKING*!!!

*TJ off in search of more thunk worthiness of the CB/PM variety to share*

TJ

P.s. Sorry for the previous spoiler filled rant, I needed to vent!!

Comment

Hi-dee-ho!
                      Me again!
                      courtesy of TJuk's GREAT website:
                      ***THUNK***THUNK***THUNK***THUNK***THUNK***

The Eyes of Sexxxxx! **squee!**

I LOVE a man in uniform. (Okay, not all men. THIS man...Okay, okay, I love him OUT of uniform too)

Rowf! Rowf! Grrrrrr-owf!

....habba..he's...waa....mmmmmmmmmmmmm....
                      (what sound does JELLO make when it thunks?)
                      ker-splop....wubble, wubble, wubble.

-sigh!-

AT
                      thistledown
                      sigpic

Comment

Nice pic! This cap would look great in "The Cars & Rod Thread" (name change pending) http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=16516
                        Put some creative dialogue between these two regarding their "opposite attract" (Rockett) relationship, and you've got a funny that would do "The Cars & Rod" proud.
                        Proud Thunker of Carson Beckett and John Sheppard
                        and Captain Jack Harkness
                        Creator of The Rockett - Rodney & Beckett Thread
                        Priestess of the Lab Coat Love Association
                        Proud owner of the chant *sigh..swoon..faint..Thunk!*
                        I live here.....Calling All Australians?
                        My other home...Stargate Down Under
                        My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

Originally posted by thistledown
                          Hi-dee-ho!
                          Me again!
                          courtesy of TJuk's GREAT website:
                          ***THUNK***THUNK***THUNK***THUNK***THUNK***
                          Hehehehehehe...he does end up in a brown uniform alot doesn't he? If I can find the link, theres a cute little blooper of a 'group' hug from that movie, 'National Lampoon's Thanksgiving Reunion' on the tbs-something-or other site!

TJ <-- bored to death at work...its a Bank Holiday, I should be at the pub getting drunk damn it!!!

Comment

I agree with you..two very good looking scientists! Oh, they are both soooooo very yummy to look at!! Oh I have a question, I don't know if this has been answered, but I noticed that Paul's birthday is stated nowhere. So when is his birthday? With David's is almost exactly a year before my husband's bday!! So I know that one!

Thanks for putting all the lovely pics to drool over! I need to find some cute pics of him and post them. I'll try to find some of my faves...

Catharine
                            Just sitting here at the computer..typing my life away!

Comment

As much as people say they like the Sheppard/McKay scenes, I'm just as big of a fan as McKay/Beckett scenes. Two scientists, two beautiful guys, one with a lovely accent and one with an arrogant, egotistical sense of humor...oh, perfection!

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Originally posted by rac76
                                I agree with you..two very good looking scientists! Oh, they are both soooooo very yummy to look at!! Oh I have a question, I don't know if this has been answered, but I noticed that Paul's birthday is stated nowhere. So when is his birthday? With David's is almost exactly a year before my husband's bday!! So I know that one!

Thanks for putting all the lovely pics to drool over! I need to find some cute pics of him and post them. I'll try to find some of my faves...

Catharine
                                We seem to be a little fuzzy on the year but the day is the same as Joe Flanigan 5th January. As I said the year is well who knows but I guess he is in his mid thirties but I will respect his right not to tell us and leave it at that. There is of course loads of time then to find the perfect birthday present.

Comment

Working...
                                X