No announcement yet.

Carson Beckett/Paul McGillion Thunk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I almost get crapped out on first half-hour... then I saw hot Scot Paul's character questioned them about noise complaint.

Forgive me, I don't want to see rest of it after him; I am scared!
    Last edited by Earthgate Ricky; 20 June 2010, 03:35 PM.

Comment

He's looking good! Like the suit.
      sigpic

Comment

Scared? You must be joking, 'cause I thought it was one of the worst movies I've seen in some time.
        spoilery rant folllows...
        Spoiler:
        Three-quarters of the movie was just the lead lady being a really annoying and nosy neighbor. It looked interesting at first, but shortly after Paul's scene, I found myself getting bored. The movie's antagonist seems to have been loosely based upon one of the scariest men who have ever lived (Josef Fritzl), but the movie wasn't about him. The worst thing we physically saw him do the entire movie (aside from the implied abuse, of course) is hit somebody over over the head with a shovel. We really didn't discover anything about the character, nor was there anything particularly interesting about the plot other than the discomfort caused by the far-fetched and cringe-worthy confrontation scenes, and I don't mean "discomfort" in the way horror or suspense movies are usually par for. The entire movie was about this annoying, paranoid housewife who just didn't have anything better to do than spy on her neighbor. Scary? Seriously? I dunno about yall, but I thought the writing was too terrible to effectively demonize the Fritz character at all throughout the first 3/4 of the movie, and I look back on it now wishing that he had managed to kill her. It would've been more interesting that way.

Maybe the first 10 or 15 minutes seemed promising, but I'm really disappointed by it, and not just for the lack of Paul. Anyway, I'll take some caps and post them soon.

Edited to add some caps:
        Spoiler:

Last edited by Jersey13; 20 June 2010, 10:35 PM.

Comment

^ Paul seems to be pulling a lot of very Carson-y expressions in those caps!

Originally posted by ladyofshalott View Post
          dolfyn, you're not the only one who cries watching Sunday! I saw it recently when SyFy aired it, and even though I know it is coming it gets me every time! So you're not alone! Heck, I tear up when they are going to put Carson 2.0 in the freezer.
          I don't think I've ever properly seen the last scenes of Sunday after Carson's death, because of the free-flowing tears blurring my vision!
          And yeah, the Carson clone in the stasis pod scene makes me mist up too.

Originally posted by ladyofshalott View Post
          Your fic sounds great!
          Aw, thanks! I'm glad at least two of you are interested.

Feel the love.
          dolfyn.
          Dr. Carson Beckett: The Heart of Atlantis

Comment

Originally posted by dolfyn View Post
            (..snip..)Aw, thanks! I'm glad at least two of you are interested.
            Hey, I'll read (or even Beta) anything that has plenty of Carson in it. I have been so busy lately to reply much, since I just started my new job today and I'm still trying to prep for my move to VA next month. But maybe y'all would like to read my latest Carson angst story too? I actually wrote it some time ago and it's only 10k words, so it would probably only take half an hour or so to read. I was thinking at one point that it'd make a good audio play for Big Finish to produce, but alas, doesn't look like we're going to be getting any more SGA audio plays from them.

Comment

*nods sagely* Couldn't agree more about the movie Jersey. I actually missed the opening of it and kept it muted while waiting for Paul's moments...which weren't many. Paul totally rocked the suit and tie but I prefer our Hot Scot in more casual wear...or a kilt,I'm not picky. lol *smirks* Dolfyn,your Carson clone in stasis has me thinking about Carson popsicles...I like Beckett Pops or Cold Carson Frozen Treats. hehe I'll have a go at your fic in a bit Jersey...and what do ya mean no more SGA audio books? Are they daft? *tries to kick some sense into 'em* How can they not know what Paul's lovely voice does to us? *high fives Paul for his wicked voice work* More Hot Scot shots please!! Woohoo!! }:O
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey13 View Post
                Hey, I'll read (or even Beta) anything that has plenty of Carson in it. I have been so busy lately to reply much, since I just started my new job today and I'm still trying to prep for my move to VA next month. But maybe y'all would like to read my latest Carson angst story too? I actually wrote it some time ago and it's only 10k words, so it would probably only take half an hour or so to read. I was thinking at one point that it'd make a good audio play for Big Finish to produce, but alas, doesn't look like we're going to be getting any more SGA audio plays from them.
                Well, I'm happy to have 2 people Beta my work, if you're offering, Jersey13. I want it to be as good as I can make it before I publish it for general readership. After all, this is my very first dip into writing fan-fiction!
                I love reading, & I've always enjoyed creative writing & have dabbled in its various forms over the years, but it's nice to be trying something a bit different.

I loved reading Catharsis of Penance. It really does feel like a good bridge for The Misbegotten, The Kindred part II/The Seed & Whispers. I've enjoyed other Carson-fics you've written, too. You're a very good writer!

Feel the love.
                dolfyn.

Comment

Well, I'm happy to have 2 people Beta my work, if you're offering, Jersey13. I want it to be as good as I can make it before I publish it for general readership. After all, this is my very first dip into writing fan-fiction!
                  I love reading, & I've always enjoyed creative writing & have dabbled in its various forms over the years, but it's nice to be trying something a bit different.

I loved reading Catharsis of Penance. It really does feel like a good bridge for The Misbegotten, The Kindred part II/The Seed & Whispers. I've enjoyed other Carson-fics you've written, too. You're a very good writer!
                  Sure, and thanks. You know what they say, practice makes perfect, and I've almost written enough Beckett fanfic to fill a book now. Some of my early Trek fanfics weren't quite as good, but as I got older, my form, structure, and even my biggest weakness in characterization has gotten better. Now I just gotta work on dialogue a bit more. You can have your other beta look for spelling and grammar, and I'd be happy to help you out with structure, logic, and flow.

Comment

*agrees with Dolfyn about Catharsis of Penance* Jersey,ya did awesome with your latest story. I fic rec'd it over on the Carson whump thread. And Jersey made great points about practice makes perfect...write often to get a good feel for how you write then find cool betas (like many of the writers on these threads) to help flesh out any weak areas. We need all of the Carson fics we can get. *smirks* Jersey,are all of your Beckett fics on ff.net? Cuz ya wrote that you've written enough to fill a book...and I like Beckett books. *cheeky grin then points to Paul* He started it. My excuse,sticking to it. hehe More Hot Scot shots please!! Woohoo!! }:O
                    sigpic

Comment

Almost all of them are on ff.net. I have a few more posted on wraithbait under a pseudoname that shall remain nameless... *shifty eyes* lol... unless someone really wants it... Don't blame me! I wrote them on a dare for friends.

Comment

Scared? You must be joking, 'cause I thought it was one of the worst movies I've seen in some time.
                        spoilery rant folllows...
                        Spoiler:
                        Three-quarters of the movie was just the lead lady being a really annoying and nosy neighbor. It looked interesting at first, but shortly after Paul's scene, I found myself getting bored. The movie's antagonist seems to have been loosely based upon one of the scariest men who have ever lived (Josef Fritzl), but the movie wasn't about him. The worst thing we physically saw him do the entire movie (aside from the implied abuse, of course) is hit somebody over over the head with a shovel. We really didn't discover anything about the character, nor was there anything particularly interesting about the plot other than the discomfort caused by the far-fetched and cringe-worthy confrontation scenes, and I don't mean "discomfort" in the way horror or suspense movies are usually par for. The entire movie was about this annoying, paranoid housewife who just didn't have anything better to do than spy on her neighbor. Scary? Seriously? I dunno about yall, but I thought the writing was too terrible to effectively demonize the Fritz character at all throughout the first 3/4 of the movie, and I look back on it now wishing that he had managed to kill her. It would've been more interesting that way.

Maybe the first 10 or 15 minutes seemed promising, but I'm really disappointed by it, and not just for the lack of Paul. Anyway, I'll take some caps and post them soon.

Edited to add some caps:
                        Tell us how you really feel?

I agree. Terrible movie. I only watched it for Pauly. Otherwise it was quite boring and slow.
                        But thanks for the cap!
                        sigpic

Comment

so im dropping in real quick between graduation craziness to share this little gem of a story...

i have not seen my brother for a few years and the second i saw him the airport i had to do all i could to stop from laughing....he does his hair in the same spiked up way as Carson XD hahaha

sooo yeah. i'll be back once ive graduated *waves bye and scurries back to her family shenanagins*
                          sigpic
                          thanks sg4ever for the awesome icon!!! (dont steal it!!!) My FanFic

Comment

Sure, and thanks. You know what they say, practice makes perfect, and I've almost written enough Beckett fanfic to fill a book now. Some of my early Trek fanfics weren't quite as good, but as I got older, my form, structure, and even my biggest weakness in characterization has gotten better. Now I just gotta work on dialogue a bit more. You can have your other beta look for spelling and grammar, and I'd be happy to help you out with structure, logic, and flow.
                            Cool! Thanks heaps, Jersey13!
                            I'm definitely fine with spelling & grammer, apart from maybe the odd typo like anyone, because I'm actually a bit of stickler for all that already. (Ok, so I'm a spelling/punctuation/grammar-Nazi!! ) So I'm very keen to have two lots of constructive criticism on the structure, logic, flow, canon & character voices. Plus, I'd like to have feedback on whether the story is actually even interesting!
                            Let me know whether you'd prefer to beta it as I write it, or just go through the whole thing once I've finished.

Originally posted by Keaira Taegan View Post
                            so im dropping in real quick between graduation craziness to share this little gem of a story...
                            i have not seen my brother for a few years and the second i saw him the airport i had to do all i could to stop from laughing....he does his hair in the same spiked up way as Carson XD hahaha
                            sooo yeah. i'll be back once ive graduated *waves bye and scurries back to her family shenanagins*
                            hahaha! Your brother has Carson-hair? That's cute!

We look forward to your post-graduation return to our lovely little corner of Gate World, Keaira.

Feel the love.
                            dolfyn.
                            Last edited by dolfyn; 23 June 2010, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Cool! Thanks heaps, Jersey13!
                              I'm definitely fine with spelling & grammer, apart from maybe the odd typo like anyone, because I'm actually a bit of stickler for all that already. (Ok, so I'm a spelling/punctuation/grammar-Nazi!! ) So I'm very keen to have two lots of constructive criticism on the structure, logic, flow, canon & character voices. Plus, the I'd like to have feedback on whether the story is actually even interesting!
                              Let me know whether you'd prefer to beta it as I write it, or just go through the whole thing once I've finished.
                              Well, honestly, waiting until you're done sort of defeats the purpose of having a beta IMO. Are you really going to be all that motivated to potentially make major changes to it after you've already written it all? When I had a beta, it was really difficult for me just to be able to dump most or even all of some chapter I had just written because my beta told me that it just didn't fit the flow of the story, and she was usually right. So I highly suggest doing it as you write it, unless you're the type to procrastinate a lot. If you would like to email me anything, I can be reached using the address cpotee at gmail dot com.

Comment

*smirks* Jersey,I wanna know your Wraithbait pseudoname if ya don't mind. Can ya PM me? I wanna read all the Carson fics I can...and I don't squick easily. lol *waves to Keaira* So your brother's got the Beckett Duck Butt 'do huh? At least he has great taste in hair styles. Enjoy the family shenanigans and come back soon. Dolfyn,just go with what feels right to you concerning the beta/writing thing. Ya got plenty of help from our talented writers so get writing!! lol It's Wednesday!! How's about some Hot Scot shots to celebrate? *cough hint* hehe Woohoo!! }:O
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X