Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carson Beckett/Paul McGillion Thunk Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Seeing as everyone else has had a rant....WTF????? NO BECKETT FOR TWO EPS IN ROW???? So thats the same amount of eps as last season's first half, but then considering the episode participation in all but 3 of them (2 lines in 1 miserly scene in 'Trinity') its ALOT less over all....so much for being a 'regular'... I am beyond disappointed...I cant even bring myself to watch 'Lost Boys'. I mean I enjoy the show and love all the characters, but...I'm just too fed-up with the attitude towards him. I feel like I've had my hope built by getting the 'credit ' then smash them all by barely having him around.

    'Duet' was a hoot, but it was DH's ep, (tho its def my fav of the season) 'Instinct' & 'Conversion', good once again, but still not BECKETT'S episode. He carried 'Poisoning the Well' last season, that was HIS ep...so why is it suddenly turning into the 'Shep and McKay' show? You know I love McKay, DH is a phenominal actor (believe me I have about a dozen of his movies..he rocks) but I read several posts on lists where people were alternately moaning about lack of him or Shep...I'm like HELLO Beckett wasn't in it at all...and then of course you get the 'but there was no need for him, he's just a doctor'... that attitude pisses me off royalely

    BECKETT IS NOT JUST A BLOODY DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!

    It seemed to be something they understood last season, but thats almost all been forgotten about! Hell 'Caldwell' is a 'recurring' character but he's had as much if not more episode participation...not to mention adding all these recurring characters...and poor Teyla...I love her character but I feel she's been neglected a little too!! And Weir!! It just doesn't make sense...something I spaffed about on a comment on Joe's recent blog (hint hint) something you all might want to do...politely of course but maybe saying, hello???? what happened to beckett being a reg???? will let them know we're not happy. Then again they finish filming this week or next I think...so I'm not holding out much hope for the 2nd half, I'd rather be pleasently surprised then positive and disappointed again...

    RANT OVER

    Comment


      Ok some new(ish) pics to cheer you all up (or maybe just me I dunno)....



      From "SPLOOSH" an HILARIOUS short you can watch in full at theUnitedNathanProductions website



      From The Montreal Film Festival 2003/4? when 'See Grace Fly' was shown there...

      Comment


        Originally posted by watcher652
        I have an 8x10 Duet photo. Paul made a cartoon bubble above Carson's head and wrote "Rodney, get off me!" in it. Some day I hope to get David Hewlett to sign it and he can make a cartoon bubble for Rodney.

        I did say that Paul is just the sweetest guy, didn't I?
        Hehe, Once again lucky gal. If you ever get David to add to it I would love to see it.

        Originally posted by TJuk
        Seeing as everyone else has had a rant....WTF????? NO BECKETT FOR TWO EPS IN ROW???? So thats the same amount of eps as last season's first half, but then considering the episode participation in all but 3 of them (2 lines in 1 miserly scene in 'Trinity') its ALOT less over all....so much for being a 'regular'... I am beyond disappointed...I cant even bring myself to watch 'Lost Boys'. I mean I enjoy the show and love all the characters, but...I'm just too fed-up with the attitude towards him. I feel like I've had my hope built by getting the 'credit ' then smash them all by barely having him around.

        'Duet' was a hoot, but it was DH's ep, (tho its def my fav of the season) 'Instinct' & 'Conversion', good once again, but still not BECKETT'S episode. He carried 'Poisoning the Well' last season, that was HIS ep...so why is it suddenly turning into the 'Shep and McKay' show? You know I love McKay, DH is a phenominal actor (believe me I have about a dozen of his movies..he rocks) but I read several posts on lists where people were alternately moaning about lack of him or Shep...I'm like HELLO Beckett wasn't in it at all...and then of course you get the 'but there was no need for him, he's just a doctor'... that attitude pisses me off royalely

        BECKETT IS NOT JUST A BLOODY DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!

        It seemed to be something they understood last season, but thats almost all been forgotten about! Hell 'Caldwell' is a 'recurring' character but he's had as much if not more episode participation...not to mention adding all these recurring characters...and poor Teyla...I love her character but I feel she's been neglected a little too!! And Weir!! It just doesn't make sense...something I spaffed about on a comment on Joe's recent blog (hint hint) something you all might want to do...politely of course but maybe saying, hello???? what happened to beckett being a reg???? will let them know we're not happy. Then again they finish filming this week or next I think...so I'm not holding out much hope for the 2nd half, I'd rather be pleasently surprised then positive and disappointed again...

        RANT OVER
        Whoa! Girl when you do decide to rant boy do you rant.

        Please don't bite my head off!

        I agree with all you have said and it p***** me off too not to mention makes no sense not to have him on screen if they can find a way to have Lorne and Weir and all those actors with lines in TLB why not Dr Beckett? I guess the only real defence is that neither episode took place on Atlantis but I am not buying that excuse so much either.

        I am however trying to look at it as a script thing, from reading the Home Page here I definitely get the feeling most of the first half of the season was written before the decision to include Paul as a regular or at the very least the premise/s for most of the episodes and they didn't or wouldn't make changes to included his character in those scripts which does suck.

        I don't want to let them off the hook here but I do think we will see more of him in the latter part of the season, there seems to be at least 5 episodes where I can't believe he wont be an important presence. I understand not wanting to raise hopes but if hope is all you have. I also realise I said the same thing about TLB and he wasn't in that at all.

        I do see what you mean by the 'Shep & McKay show' I am torn there because I love those characters too but I have to admit they get a hell of a lot of screen time. Some of which I do think takes from the other characters including Dr Beckett.

        The other thing that I don't understand is how SG-1 seemed to be able to give equal time to the four main cast members and still fairly good time to Hammond. They have only 2 extra characters on SGA (Weir/Beckett) but they don't seem to be able to sort it out. Why the hell not?!

        How hard can it be and as a fan of Star Trek Voyager they had over 8 main characters and I never felt they were concentrating on just two or three!

        Geez ranting is contagious. *Sorry quoting made this a vv long post*

        Ooh nice pics TJ.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Drwho'srose
          I guess the only real defence is that neither episode took place on Atlantis but I am not buying that excuse so much either.
          Ya damn right, especially when he can go off world so much when he is in an ep!

          I am however trying to look at it as a script thing, from reading the Home Page here I definitely get the feeling most of the first half of the season was written before the decision to include Paul as a regular or at the very least the premise/s for most of the episodes and they didn't or wouldn't make changes to included his character in those scripts which does suck.
          Nope, they'd already decided to make Paul/Beckett a regular mid-way through the first season. He's mentioned it in several interviews infact, it was just a 'contract' thing before they announced it officially. So thats well before they started writing season 2. Not to mention a few eps into season 1, once they realised how great a character Beckett was, how good an actor Paul was and before we'd even seen the show...they went back to film scenes to add more 'Beckett' to the pilot etc. So if they can do that, they can sure as hell include him more this season. Beckett had episode participation in season 1 that had nothing to do with his doctor role, such as senior staff conferences his talk with Teyla in 'The Gift', plenty of times with McKay such the 'Captain Invincible' scene in 'Hide & Seek' which was supurflous to the overall plot but added to the episode!!!

          Having him spend more time and talk to Weir more often would be good for both their characters. Poor Weir seems to do nothing but wave hello and goodbye, argue with Caldwell, or Shep (usually so he can change her mind so we can see how 'right' he always is) or maybe some of the moments they like to throw in to keep everyone guessing on the Teyla/Shep/Weir hinted ship milarky. So much for being a 'diplomat' huh, they dont write her very diplomatic and I dont thinK we've seen her do that sorta thing yet. Torri got a 'worst actress' in scifi award recently, the poor lass, she's an incredible actress and any actor is only as good as whats written, but 'Weir' is just not being written consistantly and I dont think Teyla is far behind. SG is notorious for its struggle to write consistent, strong female characters.

          I don't want to let them off the hook here but I do think we will see more of him in the latter part of the season, there seems to be at least 5 episodes where I can't believe he wont be an important presence. I understand not wanting to raise hopes but if hope is all you have. I also realise I said the same thing about TLB and he wasn't in that at all.
          Either way, his presence in season 2 overall is significantly reduced from season 1, doesn't matter if he's in every episode which if the first half is anything to go by...well I'm DEFINATELY not getting my hopes up!! Think about it, last season in most of the eps he was in he had lots of cute moments, in this one he gets 1 maybe 2...'Intruder', 'Trinity', 'Runner' for example.

          I do see what you mean by the 'Shep & McKay show' I am torn there because I love those characters too but I have to admit they get a hell of a lot of screen time. Some of which I do think takes from the other characters including Dr Beckett.
          I'm sorry but 'Aurora' bored me, and 'Condemned' and 'Intruder' were plots we've seen over and over again. They weren't bad episodes, between the actors performances and such a great crew I dont think SG could be anything but adverage-to-good, but last season it was really picking up momentum, I think they ran out of steam, Seige 1,2&3 were a pretty big act to follow. But things seem to have come grinding to a halt and I dont exactly see the direction the series is supposed to be going, something commented apon by a lot of reviews.

          The other thing that I don't understand is how SG-1 seemed to be able to give equal time to the four main cast members and still fairly good time to Hammond. They have only 2 extra characters on SGA (Weir/Beckett) but they don't seem to be able to sort it out. Why the hell not?!
          Amen to that! I love ALL the characters, its a great team, but it starts to grate and get boring when you see the same faces on screen over and over. 'Aurora' for example, nearly all of Teyla and Dex's (not all, there were some great moments) were 'Teya asays something, Dex flirts/agrees with her'. And the whole plot was so damn predictable even without spoilers!!! Now usually I dont have a problem with that because its more about enjoying the experience, but I didn't feel any sense of danger or urgency...except an urgency to slap Caldwell...which is great! Theres nothing like a good antagonist! Even if I do begrudge the fact he gets more screen time then Beckett even as a 'recurring' character

          How hard can it be and as a fan of Star Trek Voyager they had over 8 main characters and I never felt they were concentrating on just two or three!
          And like Voyager, I missed the isolated tension of not being able to get back to Earth. The show seems to have lost something. Having the Deadeleus around just sorta...takes the fun out of things. Look at SG1 they were very careful not to over use 'Prometheus' (Danny's reset button is bad enough). Having the Daedeleus around means they got a calvary to come running which everyone is almost expecting all the time...we ran out of toilet paper, oh send the Daedeleus down to the store to pick some up... introducing it a few seasons down the line, fine, but after just 1 season? Come on!!

          Geez ranting is contagious. *Sorry quoting made this a vv long post*
          Rant all you want, its good for the soul! Oops...I went off on one again didn't I???? And I was trying to be good...

          Ooh nice pics TJ.
          When does the man NOT take a good phoot????

          Comment


            Originally posted by TJuk
            From "SPLOOSH" an HILARIOUS short you can watch in full at theUnitedNathanProductions website.
            Well, Paul's character is a little, um, overwrought in this little 3 and a half minute film. Heh!

            My kind of guy:
            "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
            Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
            (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

            Comment


              Originally posted by TJuk
              Nope, they'd already decided to make Paul/Beckett a regular mid-way through the first season.
              I must have missed that.
              Then again I have had a lot SGA related things to take in over the last 3 months!

              Originally posted by TJuk
              So much for being a 'diplomat' huh, they dont write her very diplomatic and I dont thinK we've seen her do that sorta thing yet. Torri got a 'worst actress' in scifi award recently, the poor lass, she's an incredible actress and any actor is only as good as whats written, but 'Weir' is just not being written consistently and I dont think Teyla is far behind. SG is notorious for its struggle to write consistent, strong female characters.
              I have been surprised by the Weir characters lack of character development, usually I like the strong females in SciFi but I haven't been able to warm to her at all.
              Originally posted by TJuk
              I'm sorry but 'Aurora' bored me, and 'Condemned' and 'Intruder' were plots we've seen over and over again.
              I get that even though I loved Aurora (it's the Rodney/David thing again ) I could leave Condemned, and to a lesser extent Intruder.
              Originally posted by TJuk
              Rant all you want, its good for the soul! Oops...I went off on one again didn't I???? And I was trying to be good...
              Yes sometimes but it can also be depressing.
              Originally posted by TJuk
              When does the man NOT take a good photo????
              Well O.K I will pay that.

              Comment


                Originally posted by watcher652
                Well, Paul's character is a little, um, overwrought in this little 3 and a half minute film. Heh!
                lol...it was definately meant to be a wee bit OTT (over the top) and the accent is...well outrageous!! I have never...in my life...heard a Scotsman say 'Crikey' (unless they'd retained their accent but lived in the black country (Birmingham) for too long)!! Infact one of my Scottish mates saw it and said, 'If he's said that in Glasgow with a scots accent he'd get his arsed kick' hehehe

                I absolutely love it though, the sense of obserdity and slap stick silliness appeals to my goofy sense of humour!

                CRIKEY!! Well nip me in the arse wi'a twig!

                Comment


                  Wow! Gone for a few hours........

                  ***WELCOME Les342!****


                  GREAT PICS! I loved the "eyebrow"! (If you've been lurking, you may have noticed I have a passing, casual affection for the Doctor's eyes )

                  and TJuk!...What can I say, Picture-Goddess?
                  RRRrrrrrr! Yowza! Especially the Black&White. I can PSYCHICALLY sense the blueness in the Eyes of Sex!


                  As to the absence of my Carsonliciousness........AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!
                  I have returned with a vengence to the "Where's Beckett" thread.


                  AT
                  thistledown
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                    ***PAUL MCGILLION INTERVIEW***


                    Thank you to PRION for posting this on the Stargate News Thread!


                    http://www.ledelirium.com/forum/sutra19036.html#19036


                    AT
                    thistledown
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by TJuk
                      CRIKEY!! Well nip me in the arse wi'a twig!
                      Well roll me in salt and set me on fire! What?! Crikey! I think Steve Irwin wants his catchphrase back lol. I loved that.

                      Crickey is Australian, well I have been know to use it.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                        Well roll me in salt and set me on fire! What?! Crikey! I think Steve Irwin wants his catchphrase back lol. I loved that.
                        Crickey is Australian, well I have been know to use it.
                        Wow, if there is one thing about foreign languages that I hate than it's the fact that it's so hard to learn all the idioms, invectives and figures of speech and who knows what other typical things!
                        What does "Crickey" mean???
                        And "roll me in salt..." is very funny! Luckily I got this one, we do have similar sayings here to express surprise and unbelief. Translated one of them would be "Fry me a stork, but fry the legs extra"

                        Sadly I don't have any more time to thunk today, so I just say: Nice PM pics everyone!

                        TJuk - nice rant! And rightly so! I expressed my displeasure on the Where'd Beckett go thread.

                        Oh, and welcome Les342 - delurk more often! We can always use more PM/CB thunker! And I loved your con pics!

                        Bye, A.
                        ~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
                        ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Arlessiar
                          What does "Crickey" mean???
                          Its an exclamation of surprise, like saying 'Bloody Hell!', or 'Holy Cow!'. Its typically seen as Australian though in England, its a favourite word of folks from the 'Black Country' (the area in and around Birmingham, a large city in the midlands of England). It also seems to be a word they use in Vancouver, along with 'hilarious' which doesn't necessarily mean its particularly funny, I haven't quite figured it out yet (except to feel a wee bit patronised when folks use it because its almost like saying 'funny' in a more polite but basically sarcastic kinda way). I got the hang of 'eh' tho!!!! hehehe

                          TJuk - nice rant! And rightly so! I expressed my displeasure on the Where'd Beckett go thread.
                          Good! The more the better, someone might pay attention if we all start screaming (I asked why over on Joe's blog comments too). I've changed my sig accordingly, I think I'll have it on a tee or something similar for the con in Nov, not to mention some evil questions for a Mr Wright and Mr Cooper!!!!!!

                          Comment


                            I love the new sig TJ.

                            Originally posted by TJuk
                            Its an exclamation of surprise, like saying 'Bloody Hell!', or 'Holy Cow!'. Its typically seen as Australian though in England, its a favourite word of folks from the 'Black Country' (the area in and around Birmingham, a large city in the midlands of England).
                            Yes I would say it is an exclamation of surprise. In Australia you would use it to mean you don't believe something or it is surprising.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by TJuk
                              Its an exclamation of surprise, like saying 'Bloody Hell!', or 'Holy Cow!'.
                              Thanks for the explanation!
                              Originally posted by TJuk
                              I've changed my sig accordingly, I think I'll have it on a tee or something similar for the con in Nov, not to mention some evil questions for a Mr Wright and Mr Cooper!!!!!!
                              The sig is great! Really great in many ways! It delivers a message, it's funny, it has one hot Scot in it...

                              Good night, A.
                              ~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
                              ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by thistledown
                                ***PAUL MCGILLION INTERVIEW***



                                Thank you to PRION for posting this on the Stargate News Thread!


                                http://www.ledelirium.com/forum/sutra19036.html#19036


                                AT
                                thank you thistledown for posting the link here
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X