Carson Beckett/Paul McGillion Thunk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cshawzye View Post
    And you're very right, an oppourtunity like the one he has is something that is once in a lifetime. So if I was thinking about the backstory I would guess that's a huge factor in him taking a position that he sometimes doesn't appear suited for.
    Absolutely. I don't think it'd be easy to turn something like that down. And Carson definitely seems to be the explorer type - he wants to discover these new things even if sometimes he's pretty afraid of parts of it. I like that conflict in his character.
    sigpic
    by Kaaatie

Comment

I would say that the Antarctic base counts as a feild mission. It's not your average everyday work place (but than again neither is the SGC). But it's definitely more cut off. And yeah he kind of has those different contradictions with what he's fearful of and what he's not. But those things in the end, IMO, just make for a richer character.

I think in the end though he's really good at his job and he loves what he does. I think he knows that the work on Atlantis is important. So he tends to get over the fears he does have.

And you're very right, an oppourtunity like the one he has is something that is once in a lifetime. So if I was thinking about the backstory I would guess that's a huge factor in him taking a position that he sometimes doesn't appear suited for.
      of course the contradictions make for a richer and, for that matter more interesting, character. just look at us, we're discussing him for pages on end *lol*

he is great on his job, he has the brains and of course the courage. after he has become more accustomed to be in atlantis that shines through more and more.

and everybody will settle in to a new situation after some time. and so did he and I think, he did get lots of military training (even though he won't like it) so he is more prepared for off-world missions.

Convention-Pics: baby-turtles. de
      Visit me at my LJ

Comment

Originally posted by doylefan22 View Post
        Absolutely. I don't think it'd be easy to turn something like that down. And Carson definitely seems to be the explorer type - he wants to discover these new things even if sometimes he's pretty afraid of parts of it. I like that conflict in his character.
        Definitely. He really is such an in-depth character. He's got so many sides and because he seems to be really tapped into his emotions he really has the versatility to play out in so many different ways. He can be the comic foil to Rodney but just a quickly he can take up a front row position and switch into a dramatic character.

My LiveJournal :: Walls :: Sigs:: Icons :: FanVids
        "Who looks at a screwdriver and goes 'Ooh! This could be a little more sonic?!'" - Cpt. Jack Harkness

Comment

Originally posted by phibi View Post
          of course the contradictions make for a richer and, for that matter more interesting, character. just look at us, we're discussing him for pages on end *lol*
          lol, that might have a little something to do with the actor as well

but yes, I agree. Carson is a very rich character with so much storytelling potential.

"Who looks at a screwdriver and goes 'Ooh! This could be a little more sonic?!'" - Cpt. Jack Harkness

Comment

Oooh, fic ... Can't wait to read what you come up with.

Here's a little something I made today just playing around with photoshop.

*squees and saves to hard drive*

>w<

Comment

To add on to what everyone else is talking about, my personal backstory thoughts are that he worked with Medecins Sans Frontiers at some point.

Comment

Another point I've picked up whilst watching the beginning of Rising for research purposes is that he speaks about the Stargate. He obviously knows about it and I wonder if he's already seen it first hand - i.e. he's already been to the SGC by this point.
                sigpic
                by Kaaatie

Comment

Originally posted by HyperCaz View Post
                  so I can marry off Caz-sim to Carson-sim...
                  Been there done that I always either marry sim!kerry to either sim!paul or sim!carson because I have absolutely no life whatsoever. As for making a sim version of carson. I just tweak his features enough till he looks fairly similar to the real thing.

Can nobodies be somebodies?
                  My Livejournal
                  Lemming #63!

Comment

Originally posted by Haliyah View Post
                    *squees and saves to hard drive*

>w<
                    lol ... glad you like.

here's a little something else, a wall that is along the same lines

To add on to what everyone else is talking about, my personal backstory thoughts are that he worked with Medecins Sans Frontiers at some point.
                    Doctors Withough Borders? Hmm, now there is an interesting thought. I can definitely see someone like Carsons character working for an organization like that.

Comment

Funnily enough that's definitely one of the things I considered for him. I'd think it'd be likely that he got his field experience doing something along those lines.
                      sigpic
                      by Kaaatie

Comment

Another point I've picked up whilst watching the beginning of Rising for research purposes is that he speaks about the Stargate. He obviously knows about it and I wonder if he's already seen it first hand - i.e. he's already been to the SGC by this point.
                        It could be possible that he worked at the SGC before going to the antarctic base, a lot like Dr. Weir (and numerous other characters I'm sure). But I always assumed too that to work at the antartic base you'd have to be briefed in everything dealing with the Stargate so you'd have a pretty good knowledge of what you're dealing with. Especially for someone like Carson who can use the chair and knows about the Ancients and the gene.

Comment

It could be possible that he worked at the SGC before going to the antarctic base, a lot like Dr. Weir (and numerous other characters I'm sure).
                          Absolutely. Do we actually know how long the research at the Antarctic carried on for before Daniel figured out Atlantis' gate address? In my mind it was always several months but I suppose it could have been quicker.
                          sigpic
                          by Kaaatie

Comment

Absolutely. Do we actually know how long the research at the Antarctic carried on for before Daniel figured out Atlantis' gate address? In my mind it was always several months but I suppose it could have been quicker.
                            Hmm, that's a good question. I don't think we're ever given a time frame for that (at least to the best of my knowledge). I would imagine though that it was only a matter of months because don't they reference Atlantis in season 8 of SG1 and Weir is in the first two episodes of that season so I would imagine only a couple of months goes by between the time Weir leaves the SGC and they get the address to Atlantis. Mind you I'm not overly good with the timetable stuff I tend to get events mixed up.

Comment

Hmm, that's a good question. I don't think we're ever given a time frame for that (at least to the best of my knowledge). I would imagine though that it was only a matter of months because don't they reference Atlantis in season 8 of SG1 and Weir is in the first two episodes of that season so I would imagine only a couple of months goes by between the time Weir leaves the SGC and they get the address to Atlantis. Mind you I'm not overly good with the timetable stuff I tend to get events mixed up.
                              I'd agree with that. They seem quite settled in the Antarctic as though they have been working there for some time. And it would make sense that something like that would take many months to investigate. Come ot think about it, there's also the fact that Carson had to make the discovery about the gene and verify it before they even started work on the chair which would have taken some time.
                              sigpic
                              by Kaaatie

Comment

I'd agree with that. They seem quite settled in the Antarctic as though they have been working there for some time. And it would make sense that something like that would take many months to investigate. Come ot think about it, there's also the fact that Carson had to make the discovery about the gene and verify it before they even started work on the chair which would have taken some time.
                                I think you're right. And if Carson had to first identify the gene I wonder if work started on the project before they even made it to the Antarctic base? Although I guess it would've happened after Jack sat in the chair for the first time, so perhaps not. But, yeah, it does seem like all of the things that have to happen between the time the base is found at the end of SG1 s7 to the time they find Atlantis would take several months (at the very least).

Comment

Working...
                                X