No announcement yet.

Carson Beckett/Paul McGillion Thunk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the kind welcome, everyone! Of course, kind of a depressing day to join in. I am highly annoyed with the show, right now.

So, now that Arlessiar very kindly tutored me on how to do the spoiler thing, I'll get into why I thought Carson's character still had a great arc to go.

Spoiler:
    After seeing what happened to Michael (and, ironically, Jewel Staite's character whose name I'm blanking on, right now), Carson has clearly realized that what he started as a positive genetic experiment is going into areas that he didn't intend.

Carson doesn't want to cause anyone harm. We should be going down the road of the effect it has on him. We had that "throw-away" line when Rodney was coming off of the Wraith hormones that implied that Carson's had a problem with abuse in the past. The writers should run with that and go with Carson making the bad choice to start abusing, again.

THEN we should see him coming back and proving to everyone that he can make some ethical peace with his work. And you could totally use Jewel Staite's new character as the person who helps him do that. Who helps him to forge the nightmare into some good.

Maybe this is coming at the end of Season 3, but we haven't seen the fallout of the decision to conduct biological warfare on the Wraith. Something has to happen with that.

I hope that it's not too late to change the producers' minds and keep him on. They could make this show great again.

Comment

Originally posted by rosiewook View Post
      Thanks for the kind welcome, everyone! Of course, kind of a depressing day to join in. I am highly annoyed with the show, right now.

So, now that Arlessiar very kindly tutored me on how to do the spoiler thing, I'll get into why I thought Carson's character still had a great arc to go.

Spoiler:
      After seeing what happened to Michael (and, ironically, Jewel Staite's character whose name I'm blanking on, right now), Carson has clearly realized that what he started as a positive genetic experiment is going into areas that he didn't intend.

Carson doesn't want to cause anyone harm. We should be going down the road of the effect it has on him. We had that "throw-away" line when Rodney was coming off of the Wraith hormones that implied that Carson's had a problem with abuse in the past. The writers should run with that and go with Carson making the bad choice to start abusing, again.

THEN we should see him coming back and proving to everyone that he can make some ethical peace with his work. And you could totally use Jewel Staite's new character as the person who helps him do that. Who helps him to forge the nightmare into some good.

Maybe this is coming at the end of Season 3, but we haven't seen the fallout of the decision to conduct biological warfare on the Wraith. Something has to happen with that.

I hope that it's not too late to change the producers' minds and keep him on. They could make this show great again.
      I kinda like that idea...
      Spoiler:
      I don't remember that line that implied he's had a problem with abuse, what was it?
      I completely agree with you that we need to see more of a fallout from what they're doing to the Wraith. I really hope we do see that, cos there hasn't been enough.

Comment

Originally posted by shelsfc View Post
        I kinda like that idea...
        Spoiler:
        I don't remember that line that implied he's had a problem with abuse, what was it?
        I completely agree with you that we need to see more of a fallout from what they're doing to the Wraith. I really hope we do see that, cos there hasn't been enough.
        Spoiler:
        It's been so long since I've seen it, I don't remember the line. But it was something along the lines of he knew what Rodney was going through. And he just delivered the line in such a sad way, it implied (to my mind, at least) that he has had to come off of drugs, before.

It could just be my own daydreaming, though. But a few other friends have thought the same thing was implied by that.

Comment

Some coloured (Paul-shaped) spots on yet another grey day for us:

Paul at the microphone usually reserved for the audience; there was a little girl on stage and he tried to take a picture of her with her camera.

Here is also a little video of it: Right here (sorry, it's kinda... turned 90° ccw *headdesk*)

This is Paul imitating a little boy he has met in Belfast, Dublin (he wanted to give him a piece of his birthday cake, such a sweet story).
          He actually kinda DOES look like a little boy on this pic because he's also wearing a mini Beckett!Jacket he borrowed from a girl in the audience.
          sigpic

Comment

Welcome to all the new people! yay *hugs*

I like the ideas about what could be done with Beckett's character. Ugh, I just don't get what TPTB are thinking. I belive there is so much potential in the character. Heck even playing off of McKay. Those two have such a good rapport! Anyway ... don't want to go there still really upset at what's going on.

Just wanted to say welcome and enjoy your stay!

My LiveJournal :: Walls :: Sigs:: Icons :: FanVids
            "Who looks at a screwdriver and goes 'Ooh! This could be a little more sonic?!'" - Cpt. Jack Harkness

Comment

Those are some great pics leelakin! He looks so cute with the little jacket on.

My LiveJournal :: Walls :: Sigs:: Icons :: FanVids
              "Who looks at a screwdriver and goes 'Ooh! This could be a little more sonic?!'" - Cpt. Jack Harkness

Comment

Originally posted by leelakin View Post
                Some coloured (Paul-shaped) spots on yet another grey day for us:

Paul at the microphone usually reserved for the audience; there was a little girl on stage and he tried to take a picture of her with her camera.

Here is also a little video of it: Right here (sorry, it's kinda... turned 90° ccw *headdesk*)

This is Paul imitating a little boy he has met in Belfast, Dublin (he wanted to give him a piece of his birthday cake, such a sweet story).
                He actually kinda DOES look like a little boy on this pic because he's also wearing a mini Beckett!Jacket he borrowed from a girl in the audience.

belfast is in northern ireland, dublin is in ireland, just for future ref.

such a pretty man
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mayogaelz View Post
                  belfast is in northern ireland, dublin is in ireland, just for future ref.

such a pretty man

Errr, that's what I meant. Belfast, Ireland. He actually said it was in Dublin before and then corrected himself, that's why I kinda mixed it up while typing. I know geography, I really do! XD
                  sigpic

Comment

I know geography, I really do! XD
                    I sure don't know geography.

nice pics, btw.

Comment

Errr, that's what I meant. Belfast, Ireland. He actually said it was in Dublin before and then corrected himself, that's why I kinda mixed it up while typing. I know geography, I really do! XD
                      didnt mean anythin bad just thought the facts should be right...

and for a man of scottish decent not to know that...

for shame paul, for shame

still cute tho...
                      sigpic

Comment

Well I'm Scottish and most of my friends don't know which parts of Ireland Belfast and Dublin are in.
                        sigpic
                        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
                          Well I'm Scottish and most of my friends don't know which parts of Ireland Belfast and Dublin are in.
                          well to start with they are in two different countries.

never mind tho.
                          sigpic

Comment

Well duh...I was talking about the Island not the two countries.
                            sigpic
                            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by rosiewook View Post
                              Spoiler:
                              It's been so long since I've seen it, I don't remember the line. But it was something along the lines of he knew what Rodney was going through. And he just delivered the line in such a sad way, it implied (to my mind, at least) that he has had to come off of drugs, before.
                              It could just be my own daydreaming, though. But a few other friends have thought the same thing was implied by that.
                              You mean the infirmary scene in "The Hive" when
                              Spoiler:
                              Rodney yells that Carson has no idea of the agony Rodney is going through, and Carson answers "Och, I have an inkling."

This sentence's been interpreted differently by many people. Some say it means that Carson must have personal experience with drug abuse in some way and can relate to what Rodney's experiencing. Others said that he can simply see and imagine the pain Rodney must feel, and as a doctor he's also surely seen many withdrawals before. Paul McGillion joked that Carson just says that because he's in pain himself in that moment, because Rodney annoys him so much...

I always thought that it's the second option, that he has seen so much misery and so many people in pain that he can imagine that it must be awful. But number one is a possibility too. I've seen many fanfics about that.

Bye, A.
                              ~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
                              ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by Arlessiar View Post
                                You mean the infirmary scene in "The Hive" when
                                Spoiler:
                                Rodney yells that Carson has no idea of the agony Rodney is going through, and Carson answers "Och, I have an inkling."

<snip> Paul McGillion joked that Carson just says that because he's in pain himself in that moment, because Rodney annoys him so much...
                                OK, I find that really funny, because
                                Spoiler:
                                I interpreted it the way Paul joked ... I just thought Carson was being ironic by saying that he was in almost as much pain as Rodney, from having to suffer through his complaining! I didn't know that Paul had said that. Then I read some of those fanfics about Carson having been an addict and I thought ... Hmmmm, that's much more interesting!

Comment

Working...
                                X