No announcement yet.

Carson Beckett/Paul McGillion Thunk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*I finish re-bandaging A-Carson's arm and bind it to his chest to keep the bugger from moving it too much, just as I can hear Dell's voice and then Shep telling her that I did the surgery and my hands start to shake slightly*

A- What's with ye, Love? Y're doin' easy stuff right now, y'know. No need for nerves. *he smiles and uses his good arm to squeeze my hand*

I know, Love. It's just...she was...that was my first attempt at surgery and it was my own sister...you have no idea how terrified I was while working on her. *I let his hand rest on mine a moment before I pull my hand away and finish bandaging him up*

A- Have ye seen to Beck an' Carson yet?

I haven't since my first check in this morning. I should do that now. *I carefully hide a yawn until I've turned away from A-Carson, then I head back towards Beck and Carson's beds* Abby, sweetheart, come sit with Uncle A-Carson, sweetie. *I lift Abby from Beck's bed and hug her, before setting her on A-Carson's knee and he wraps his good arm around her*

Aang, Lass, how are we to get back through th' gate if two, per'aps three of us are no' fit ta walk? *he smiles a bit but I can see the arm is paining him, so I give him a dose of painkillers before I start unwrapping his arm to see to the wound*

I've not figured that out, I assume Shep and I can push wheelchairs, but if all three of you can't walk through, we'll have to work something out I suppose.

*a few minutes later, I finish re-bandaging his arm and I can hear Shep and Dell talking about the house and how it is completely gone, as I move to Beck's bedside and wake her, convincing her to drink some water for me before I pull my pen light from my pocket and check her eyes*

Good Beck, honey. You're much better now. *she nods slightly as I watch her pupils react much faster to the pen light and she blinks at the brightness. I then quickly check on the head wound and the wound on her chest carefully, rebandaging them, and I finish just as Dell and Shep stop talking, and I stand in the middle of the room, looking around at my three patients and Abby with a satisfied but tired sigh. Next up on the list is Dell.*

Comment

*I swallow my last bit of worry and brace myself as I walk into Dell's room, and I don't bother sending Shep out as I know Dell won't mind him being there and I need his help as long as he's here*

Shep, would you mind lending me a hand? Help her sit up a bit, I need to re-bandage her for the trip home and it's easier if I can get all the way 'round her. *I smile at Dell, she smiles back at me, and braces herself for the pain as Shep moves behind her and lifts her carefully to a sitting position, with his arm about her shoulders to support her*

Suppose that hurts a bit, Sis? When I'm done here, I'll be able to give you a proper pill for the pain that won't make you feel as drugged up as the morphine drip did. *I had slowed the morphine drip to almost nothing, carefully weaning her off it so that the pain wouldn't return too suddenly, and now I stop it completely before I unwrap the bandage from her chest a bit, wincing at the awful bruise around the incision even though I was aware that would be there*

Dell: Well I sure stuffed that one up right, didn't I? *she is looking down at the bruise, but still smiling*

Yeah, I suppose you did, Sis. Now hold still a moment, this'll hurt a bit... *I smile slightly, and carefully, gently so as not to move the broken rib, clean around the incision and replace the bandages, binding it nice and tightly to hold the rib in place as I had before, pull the hospital scrub top back down over the bandages*

Dell: Ow, yep, definitely a broken rib there. *she goes to laugh slightly and winces at the pain* Don't make me laugh!

Sis, if you're going to laugh, cough or sneeze for the next bit, I suggest holding a pillow against your body, it'll put a bit of pressure and stop anything moving that ought not, which makes it hurt less.

*I smile and then stick another pillow behind her so that when Shep settles her back into the pillows, she is still sitting up a bit, but I don't leave the room just yet, taking a moment to breathe a sigh of relief that I'd succeeded in patching up my Sister the day before without complications*

Comment

-Shep tells me you were my surgeon. You did good sis, Thanks!
        *I hold out an arm to give her a hug...it hurts to move the other one, it pulls on the wound to much*
        sigpic

Comment

*I carefully wrap one of my own arms around Dell and hug her gently*

Why yes, I was your surgeon. The whole time, I quite wished it wasn't my sister I had to be operating on, but I did it. *I smile at her*

A- *wanders into the doorway, having deposited Abby onto the bed with Carson on his way over* Aye, she did do y'r surgery, Dell. 'Twas her first time workin' as a surgeon and she did a wonderful job a' it.

*I glance over to A-Carson, shooting him a look that says 'why would you tell her that?!' and he just looks back at me in confusion*

Comment

*still can't quite get my head around my sister being a surgeon, but decided not to think to hard on it*

-How are you doing A-Carson? bit of a turn up that we are all down, and Shep is still standing!
            Hey, I don't get hurt often...what? I don't !

-Aang quick I need a pillow!
            sigpic

Comment

*I laugh and hand a spare pillow to Dell, not sure if she intends to laugh or throw it at Shep's head*

A- Aye, it's a bit o' a turn up alright tha' we're all down for th' count an' Shep's still standin'. *he chuckles* I'm a'right, just a nice cut to ma' arm, no permanent damage. Aang's a smart one to bind ma' arm across ma' chest, she knows me tha' well. I don't like ta sit around bein' useless, but Aang's found a way to keep me from usin' ma' arm.

*I snicker slightly, oddly proud of having found the way to incapacitate A-Carson* Well I do know that you Carsons don't like to stop working even when you're bleeding from a nasty gash on your arm. So I had to make working impossible somehow. But I really couldn't have done so well at this without your directions in my ear helping me to keep going. *I look down at my hands, making sure that I'm not visibly shaking, and then I smile again*

A- Aang, Love, after yesterday I'd say ye are ready ta fly solo. Ye could 'andle a shift in th' infirmary wi'out either of us Carsons wi' ye, I'd say.

You...you think so? *I gasp a little*

A- Aye, I know so, my Love. Ye saved the lives o' your entire family in one day, I canna say I'd 'ave held it together as well as ye did if I'd had ta save ma' entire family's lives while I was only fresh out o' med school. *he smiles a bit*

Comment

*I took the pillow and hugged it to my chest, but also forced down the laugh because I could tell it was going to hurt to much....thought about throwing the pillow at Shep, but could feel the pain before I did it. I looked at him and smiled and thought to myself...You'll keep boy, you'll keep!*

*Once A-Carson was finished talking I ask my question.*
                -When are we going home? I like home...it has a nice ring to it, you didn't turn the morphine back on did you sis?
                sigpic

Comment

Nope, morphine's still shut off. *I check the setting on the drip and then on a spur of the moment decision, peel back the med tape and slide the needle out of Dell's arm to be sure*

Yep, no more morphine, and I think I can take the needle out for good now, you shouldn't need more morphine by now. Oh, and we're going home today. Just got to talk to Caldwell, then we beam down to the SGC and someone's got to tell Jack what happened, then we can go home.

A- I c'n 'elp you push one of th' wheelchairs, Aang. Abby can 'elp me if she likes.

Yeah, I'll push Carson's, you take Beck's? And um Shep, I think we can have Dell walk through the gate, keep her dignity you know. But she'll need a hand...or someone to lean on might be more accurate. Think you could do that?

Of course I'll help Dell. *he smiles at Dell, sits gently on the edge of the bed and wraps one arm around her shoulders*

Comment

-Well, since I'm still the leader of this little mission, I guess I can talk to him, and I'm sure I can walk with you at me side. *I say turning to give Shep a smile.*
                    -But don't forget that pain med Sis, can't have...just don't forget the pill. *I wished I had never started voicing that comment, I couldn't make is sound right.....didn't want to look weak in front of Jack*
                    sigpic

Comment

Don't worry about it Sis, I won't forget it. *I hold up a small pill bottle from my lab coat pocket* Got them right here. *I smile, I know what Dell was trying to get at but I don't say it*

A- Aang, how about we talk to Caldwell an' then get everyone else *he looks over his shoulder* ready for transport, the sooner we get to Atlantis, the sooner we can all get some rest. *clearly, he means Aang, you are wearing yourself too thin and you need to get some rest, but I know he is trying to spare me the embarrassment of calling me out on it with Dell and Shep there, as he'd caught me applying concealer to the dark circles beneath my eyes this morning*

Comment

*Aang and A-Carson leave to talk to the Col. and Shep turns to me*
                        What is it between you and the General....everybody seems to love him, but not you.
                        -you don't love him either.
                        Mainly because I saw how he treated you when he thought I wasn't around.

-Can't think why he would say you weren't good enough for me, if anything it would the other way around.
                        Never *he kisses me* You are the best, and on that he may have a point, but I'm not backing off, I know when I'm on to a good thing!
                        sigpic

Comment

Caldwell: Aang, good to see you. If you've left the infirmary, that must mean Dell is doing alright?

She had me scared for a bit there, but it was a broken rib and punctured lung. I um, preformed the surgery myself, and it went well. Shep says that there's nothing left of the building but a large black hole. *I smile*

Caldwell: Good to hear. Jack's getting a bit impatient to know what's happening, when will you and Dell's team be ready to beam down?

All I have to do is get Beck and Carson into their wheelchairs--neither is strong enough to walk it just yet as Carson lost a lot of blood and Beck's still concussed--and then help Shep to get Dell up and then we can go.

Caldwell: Alright, see to it then. Radio when you're ready and I'll have Hermiod beam you all down to the SGC.

Alright, I'll radio when we're all set.

*A-Carson had stood with his good arm around me the entire time and kept it there as we turned to go back to the infirmary*

Back in the infirmary...

*I, with help from the same nurse who helped me with Dell and the only one I trust to help me with my family, ease first Carson and then Beck into wheelchairs. A-Carson takes up his place behind Beck's chair with Abby gripping both handles and standing in front of him*

Abby: I get to push Mummy all the way back to Atlantis, Uncle Carson?

A- Aye, sweetheart. Ye do get to push y'r Mum back ta' the city. I'll be right 'ere with ye ta help. *he smiles down at her*

Beck: Be careful, honey. Come give Mummy a hug first?

*Abby runs around to hug her Mummy before going back to grab onto the handles of the chair again*

*I push Carson around to face Beck and then excuse myself to go back to Dell's room*

Sis, whenever you're ready, you can take your pain med and then we'll stand you up and Caldwell will have Hermiod beam us down to the SGC. *I am holding the pill and a glass of water in my hands*

Comment

* I reach for the pill and glass trying not to look too eager, and swallow it down hoping it kicks in really fast. Then with Sheps help I stand up, leaning on him heavily. The look he gives me tells me he is not happy with the level of help I need.*

-I'll be alright when the pill kicks in don't worry.
                            You better be.

-Ok all set Sis, beam me up ah down Scotty...no offence, oh crap that worked better in my head!
                            sigpic

Comment

*I chuckle and go to collect Carson's wheelchair, and the rest of us come to the doorway of Dell's room before I press the comm link*

Colonel Caldwell, we're ready to go!

Caldwell: Alright Aang. Hermiod, beam Aang and the rest of Dell's team down to the SGC please?

Indeed. *mutters something in Asgard before beaming us down*

Alright here we go, everyone!

*the flash of blue light appears and next time we can see, we are in the briefing room at the SGC*

Comment

*I push myself up right, and hold on tight to the pain, no one is going to see how much I hurt right now, come on meds, kick in damn you!*

About time you got here Dell, do you have any idea how much trouble you stirred up out there!

-Do you have any idea of how big your wraith problem is down here?
                                I don't have a wraith problem!

-Well we just took out 7 and I would bet my bottom dollar where there is 7 there is more!
                                Ok have a seat and tell me what you found.
                                *Shep goes to help me, but I shake off his hand and sit in the closest seat*
                                Does the child need to be in here?

-She was there, she knows more than you about it. *he gives me a look that used to scare me, but I've met tougher foe now*

*We tell him everything that happened and then answer his questions at the end...it takes a good hour, Abby has fallen asleep on A-Carson's knee*

Ok, Thank you everyone, now I would like a word with Dell in private, you can wait in the gate room, she won't be long.
                                I would prefer to stay Sir.
                                And I would prefer if you didn't.

-I'll be fine, don't worry.
                                *Shep leaned in close and whispered in my ear*How will you walk out?
                                *I whisper back that I meds have kicked in and I feel nothing anymore...not quite the truth, but it will have to do*

*The door closes behind them and I am alone with Jack*
                                Well you stuffed up royally this time didn't you, almost got your self killed, not to mention the rest of your team...none of you should be out of the infirmary!

*A few moments pass in quiet*
                                Nothing to say?
                                -What did you want me to say?
                                And him, you're still with him after everything I said, he's no good can't you see that?

*again I say nothing*
                                Get out of here! This is not your Earth!

*I stand up with care, showing none of the pain I'm in on my face*

-You have made that abundantly clear from the first minute we met!
                                *I walk out of the room and towards the gateroom, and am so pleased when I see Shep waiting for my not far from the door, I reach for him and he holds me up just as my strength starts to fail. The wormhole is established before we get to the room and we head straight up the ramp, I look back and see Jack in the control room with a face like thunder, then step through the gate.
                                Last edited by Dellruby; 13 February 2013, 11:20 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X