Carson Beckett/Paul McGillion Thunk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meezergater View Post
    mmhhh, what i recall is that Paul said he always had a pretty big say in how the Carson caracter was developed from the beginning and also that he was always very commited to not lose the original and basic Carson traits that made the caracter so loveable.
    i doubt that Paul would go ahead with playing a carson caracter that would be very much out of line with that.
    i am pretty much at peace with having carson back the way he is and him not being full time in season 5. (like he said himself on one of the conventions: you can't wait to much around in this bussiness).
    i have no doubt that the episodes he is in in season 5 will be good, he is that kind of an actor that nails his performances every time.
    like i said before, i rather have Paul/Carson back in 5-7 episodes in season 5 that are really good, then having him back full season with him getting very little screen-time and playing on the side-line, like in season 3.
    I agree. I'd rather see him in a few good episodes than in many bad ones.

Wish you all happy easter too!!! *hugs the thread*

Comment

Happy Easter!

sigpic

Comment

Got my new car! It's way nicer than anything I expected to be able to afford (meaning it's not a junker already half-way to the salvage yard), and although it cost a little more than I'd hoped, it's in my range and shouldn't require dropping the FedCon trip (a fear I worried about when the other car died). Such a relief! It's a Ford Taurus, rated among the safest cars on the road, so my parents are happy too.

As for Paul's motivations for season 5, I expect he is wanting to keep his options a bit more open with the strike ending and pilot season and all. Heck, if he's already been given good offers, he may already be scheduling around them. (Optimist --> Seti) Whatever happens, I trust Paul to keep some creative control over the character and object to anything too out of character or deviating from the man we know.

Happy Easter, everyone! Supposed to rain tomorrow, but beautiful today. I hope you all enjoy whatever you do with the day!

Seti

Comment

Originally posted by Luciana View Post
          Happy Easter!

O.O krass... I love it. I also got a little easter egg for you.. but it's not as beautiful as Luci's walli

Got my new car! It's way nicer than anything I expected to be able to afford (meaning it's not a junker already half-way to the salvage yard), and although it cost a little more than I'd hoped, it's in my range and shouldn't require dropping the FedCon trip (a fear I worried about when the other car died). Such a relief! It's a Ford Taurus, rated among the safest cars on the road, so my parents are happy too.
          Glad you have your new car. do you have photos?

Comment

Ein Osterhase!

I LOVE it!
            sigpic

Comment

OMG BEAUTIFULL wallpaper there Luciana.

(hurries and changes desktop again).

you are very good with these.)
              sigpic

Comment

Thank you very much! *hug*

I the lyrics (Within Temptation - Bittersweet)

---

Spoiler:

Last edited by Luciana; 22 March 2008, 10:55 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by twinchaosblade View Post

whumping is the concept of hurting and afterwards comforting your favourite character(s). It's not quite the same as "torturing" because making the character get better again is a necessity. Usually the whumpers also agree on "no permanent damage", so the character(s) have to be in mint condition by the end of the story (or at the very least getting there).
                  thunking is indeed adoring a character or person. The term comes from the thudding sound that the body makes when fainting and hitting the floor. Just like this smilie.
                  Ohhh.. thanks for that. So I'm glad I'm in a thunk thread and not a wumping thread - can't stand it when Paul (or anybondy else) is hurt...

Thanks, Fainne! And you made me so glad when I read your "Tu Dir keinen Zwang an" (Don't hesitate to do it / Don't restrain yourself; literally for Haliyah: Inflict no force on yourself.). I use this expression A LOT; but sometimes people look at me like I'm the only one who says this.
                  Well.. yeah, most of the time "Tu dir keinen Zwang an" is used in a slightly negative way. But when I say it it's mostly positive^^. It's like "Ich habe diese Person gefressen" ("I really don't like this person", or literally for Haliyah "I ate this person" - *lol* now I read this in english it sounds really funny xD) - Luci uses this in a positive and negative way - but usually it's negative.
                  Last edited by Fainne; 22 March 2008, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SETI_fan View Post

As for Paul's motivations for season 5, I expect he is wanting to keep his options a bit more open with the strike ending and pilot season and all. Heck, if he's already been given good offers, he may already be scheduling around them. (Optimist --> Seti) Whatever happens, I trust Paul to keep some creative control over the character and object to anything too out of character or deviating from the man we know.

Happy Easter, everyone! Supposed to rain tomorrow, but beautiful today. I hope you all enjoy whatever you do with the day!

Seti
                    Congrats on the new car I have heard that Ford Taurus are pretty good cars. I can't wait to meet everyone

Like everyone, I am also torn about Carson. Yes, I would love for Carson come back full time but then I don't want him to lose the charm. I would love for PM to score a big role a tv series. (I loved to see him in Heroes). Who knows really. As far as we know, TPTB could be changing their tune with Carson because of the high rating "The Kindred Pt 2" got.

An early Happy Easter to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Luciana View Post

Spoiler:

Oh luci, this is sooo you!

Like everyone, I am also torn about Carson. Yes, I would love for Carson come back full time but then I don't want him to lose the charm. I would love for PM to score a big role a tv series. (I loved to see him in Heroes). Who knows really. As far as we know, TPTB could be changing their tune with Carson because of the high rating "The Kindred Pt 2" got.
                      we just have to wait. I'd love to see more of Carson (and his role within the SGA team) but I also know that there is always change. Let's just hope that there will more Paul on Screen in general.

PS: the first icon I ever made:

and a bit changed - I was not sure what sounds better
                      Last edited by Fainne; 22 March 2008, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Aaaaawww!

I wanna HUG him!
                        NOW!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fainne View Post
                          Ohhh.. thanks for that. So I'm glad I'm in a thunk thread and not a wumping thread - can't stand it when Paul (or anybondy else) is hurt...
                          As a whumper as well as a Beckett fan, I have to admit that I am actually a bit of a Beckett whumper at heart. Of course it wouldn't be entertaining if Paul got hurt, but as a fictional character, I rather enjoy seeing Carson face challenges, especially physical ones that his character isn't necessarily as well adapted to as the "hero-types" are, that could potentially make him really interesting and really grow and develop as a character. It's not that I like seeing Carson get hurt either really, but to see him recover and persevere, because we as "normal" people would have more in common with him than the heroes who are expected to shrug off torture and life-threatening gunshot wounds and such and forget all about them by next week's episode. That makes Beckett different, and his whump more dramatic, ironic, heart-felt, and genuine, and it's all because Paul is such a great, down-to-life actor.

Thus, I'm a proud Beckett-whumper. So if anybody wants to read my fics, you should probably know that ahead of time anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SETI_fan View Post
                            Horray! The Taurus is a really good car! What year did you get? My family used to have a taurus before we got our mini-van. And yay for FedCon! I'm so glad you will be able to come and not have to worry about your car!! Think of it this way--what if your other car had done it's meltdown during your trip to FedCon? Sounds like a blessing in disguise to me

Proudly Supporting Team USA

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey13 View Post
                              As a whumper as well as a Beckett fan, I have to admit that I am actually a bit of a Beckett whumper at heart. Of course it wouldn't be entertaining if Paul got hurt, but as a fictional character, I rather enjoy seeing Carson face challenges, especially physical ones that his character isn't necessarily as well adapted to as the "hero-types" are, that could potentially make him really interesting and really grow and develop as a character. It's not that I like seeing Carson get hurt either really, but to see him recover and persevere, because we as "normal" people would have more in common with him than the heroes who are expected to shrug off torture and life-threatening gunshot wounds and such and forget all about them by next week's episode. That makes Beckett different, and his whump more dramatic, ironic, heart-felt, and genuine, and it's all because Paul is such a great, down-to-life actor.

Thus, I'm a proud Beckett-whumper. So if anybody wants to read my fics, you should probably know that ahead of time anyway.
                              well it wasn't my intention to affront the Beckett whumpers.^^ I just wanted to say that I don't like anybody to be hurt. But you are right. It's really weird seeing somebody nearly die in one episode and in the next one he is recovered completely. So it's much more authentic to watch somebody recovering. It's still confusing with the whumping and thunking - because before I got here I never knew those words.^^

Comment

Hello, everyone! Here's a mega-quote post to try and catch up - it's hard when one has been missing for a few days!

Thanks to everyone for the various music recommendations - I'm downloading now!

Apologies for being AWOL on getting those of you who need it server access - I'll be working on that tonight.

HALIYAH:

I have never been able to view any of your wallpapers or other art because my spyware program identifies the place you host them as a spy site. Thought you might like to know

FAINNE:

I love the icons! I think the first one is my favorite *hugs Carson* Like I needed an excuse And I loved the drawings you posted - you are really talented

RODNEY_IS_GODNEY:
                                LOVE the black-clad Carson pics! *thunk* Thank you

SETI_fan:

Congrats on the car! Sorry you had the meltdown in the first place, though

LUCIANA: I love the wallpaper! The icons too Hey, was it you who wanted to do the image gallery for the carsonbeckett.com website? Or was that Haliyah? Can't remember

TWINNy/HALIYAH: I started a thread at www.carsonbeckett.com/forum to discuss web development stuff, we can choose admins and figure out how non-coders who want to help can and stuff there without cluttering up this thread Too much

MEEZERGATER: I hope your foot is doing okay!

MISS_KAYLEE: I love your wallpaper too! And the banners for carsonbeckett.com - too cool! I'm flattered

CARSON/SHOW DISCUSSION:

I'm kind of in a midway point in how I feel about Atlantis in general. I love the show - it's the only one I've gotten passionate about since Firefly, and I found plenty to enjoy watching in season 4. As long as Sheppard at least remains a major part of the show, I'll have a reason to keep watching it. But I'm also feeling a bit betrayed as a viewer.

Killing off Carson, and doing it so carelessly, followed by the team instantly moving on, bugged and still does bug me. And I thought his return was badly handled as well. It goes back to my current main issue of the show, which is.....

The destruction of the team. Sheppard, Rodney, Carson, Elizabeth, Teyla, and Ronon became a team through trial by fire. It seemed like a major focus of season three was building the bonds of trust and respect, and concurrently our love of the team. By making them care about each other, they made us care about them. They established repeatedly that these people cared about each other, would protect each other, would die for each other. And then they ripped it apart. For no good reason, that I can see.

All that groundwork, all that love and trust and respect, now seems almost meaningless when they've established that two members of that team can be killed and there is hardly a blink of an eye before moving on. New characters are introduced and accepted instantly into slots that were formerly occupied by people we took a long time learning to know and care about. I'm not saying a new character could never become a valued part of the show, but it feels wrong to have what remains of the team instantly trust and accept them. In any real human situation, they would be outsiders for a very long time, considering they are replacing a dead team-mate.

Back to Carson. He comes back. Someone these people cared about dearly, someone who cared about and cared for them for years. He's not only back from the dead so to speak, but he, their friend, has been in prison for two years under pretty dismal conditions. He's in awful shape physically, and on top of it all he returns to find Elizabeth dead. I can understand the initial suspicion, but once they established that he really was Carson, where the heck was the caring? John "I would do anything for any one of you" Sheppard barely acknowledged his existance. Rodney was the only one who cared enough to spend any time at all with him

Let me tell you, if one of my dead friends came back after two years going through hell waiting and hoping only that I would come for him, I'd give him a lot warmer of a reception! I wanted to cry when he told them it had all been worth it to see them again, because it broke my heart how they had treated him in that time.

Anyway - I'll keep watching. But right now the show doesn't hold the exhileration I felt during seasons two and three. Too many new and changing characters that don't have the history behind them that took, what, three seasons to build? I look forward to any and all Carson we get, and I intend to relish every moment of it, though. Because whatever happens to the show, I do still adore him and Sheppard, and the soft spot in my heart for Rodney and Ronon is still there as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X