Wraith Defenders Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trillian52 View Post
    I've always had a soft spot for long hair, leather and the aliens - Christopher Plummer was such a good Klingon!
    My interest in the Wraith stems from the fact that they held so much potential but were, with the exception of Todd and Michael, given such limited development. Even then, for me at least, much of their allure comes from the great job that both actors did in developing the characters and giving them as much depth as they could with the dialogue and scenarios presented to them.
    I must agree, specially about having a soft spot for aliens, leather and long hair And I'd like to add Lafazanos to the actors who did incredibly work with his Wraith. How he carried them... Just wow! His Wraiths were the ones who hooked me with the series (and, obviously, the Wraith)

Comment

Originally posted by Todd's Pet View Post
      Just thinking about Todd often does the trick (darned telepathy!)
      Been thinking about him practically constant over the last few weeks along with Eddie and Steve, darn work standing round with nothing to do but serve customers that don't bother to come through the door.
      sigpic
      Thank you to Icarium for allowing me to use the above image.

Comment

Originally posted by Starry Waters View Post
        Hugs WK!!! It's been a while. I don't like SGPuke either. I looked on a rating thread a while back and they were saying that it's mainly the guys who like the show. Well, geez, we knew that!! LOL
        Haha! that's a good term! I'm going to use that.

A friend told me that the show only did as well as SGA was doing in it's l5th season and it's costing a million more for each ep. Well, now we know where our movie money is going!! We are probably going to be stuck with the show for a couple of more seasons.

edit: typo ... 5th season...I wish it was 15 LOL *dreams about 15 seasons of SGA *

I finally bought some SGA books to compliment the wraith fanfiction I read. (I have to satisfy most of my need for a team fix by watching NCIS. I've become quite a fan of the show since SGA ended.)
        Really? I didn't realize it cost the studio that much more for such a piece of ###t! Wow, I guess we do know where all our money is going. I have a feeling that shows like BSG and this whatever of the stargate franchise is not really focused on Sci Fi fans. I can't even see them going on the convention circuit. I almost feel like it's a snub to the fans of Sci Fi. Sure we're strange and obsessive, but we're also the ones that have made studios like MGM filthy rich. Shrug, oh well.

Thanx it's nice to see you again too

WK
        "Ask NOT what you can do for your country...ask WHAT'S FOR LUNCH?" O. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by FromOutside View Post
          I must agree, specially about having a soft spot for aliens, leather and long hair And I'd like to add Lafazanos to the actors who did incredibly work with his Wraith. How he carried them... Just wow! His Wraiths were the ones who hooked me with the series (and, obviously, the Wraith)
          James is a darned talented actor - remember he played lots of wraith and yet he managed to make them all so different... from big scary Bob, to slim and sleek Steve, or Greg who seemed to be just enormous, neat and arrogant Erik, pretty pretty Jimmy (Mantis) and not forgetting sleazy Eddie... to name but a few - and all of them unique! Not a bad achievement with your face covered in latex!
          sigpic
          Thanks to Draco-Stellaris for the gorgeous Todd avatar

Comment

Originally posted by FromOutside View Post
            And I'd like to add Lafazanos to the actors who did incredibly work with his Wraith. How he carried them... Just wow! His Wraiths were the ones who hooked me with the series (and, obviously, the Wraith)
            Originally posted by Todd's Pet View Post
            James is a darned talented actor - remember he played lots of wraith and yet he managed to make them all so different... from big scary Bob, to slim and sleek Steve, or Greg who seemed to be just enormous, neat and arrogant Erik, pretty pretty Jimmy (Mantis) and not forgetting sleazy Eddie... to name but a few - and all of them unique! Not a bad achievement with your face covered in latex!
            Agree with you both and I think the fact that it took people some time to cotton-on that all these different Wraith characters were played by the same actor says so much about his talent!

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith Cake View Post
              Really? I didn't realize it cost the studio that much more for such a piece of ###t! Wow, I guess we do know where all our money is going. I have a feeling that shows like BSG and this whatever of the stargate franchise is not really focused on Sci Fi fans. I can't even see them going on the convention circuit. I almost feel like it's a snub to the fans of Sci Fi. Sure we're strange and obsessive, but we're also the ones that have made studios like MGM filthy rich. Shrug, oh well.

Thanx it's nice to see you again too

WK
              Nice to see you again too WK.

I agree with you. I guess everyone has a different idea of how sci fi should be presented - whether its in books, films or TV series - but I've always liked my sci fi not to take itself too seriously. It can still be quite dark but the characters still have an edge of something, humour/irreverence/whatever, in their lives, albeit sometimes only in very small doses, that makes it more real.
              Last edited by Trillian52; 21 January 2010, 11:25 PM.

Comment

I guess everyone has a different idea of how sci fi should be presented - whether its in books, films or TV series - but I've always liked my sci fi not to take itself too seriously. It can still be quite dark but the characters still have an edge of something, humour/irreverence/whatever, in their lives, albeit sometimes only in very small doses, that makes it more real.
                Science fiction is a wide ranging genre. It includes George Orwell's 'Nineteen Eighty Four' which is about a totalitarian state (no space ships or aliens), books by Robert A Heinlein which focus on relationships (there's lots of romance and sex in 'I Will Fear No Evil' but no space ships or aliens') and all action stuff where the plot is just an excuse for running around with guns, space battles and big explosions.

There's an interesting discussion about whether SGU is science fiction here.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...erse-is-sci-fi
                sigpic

Comment

Nice to see you again too WK.

I agree with you. I guess everyone has a different idea of how sci fi should be presented - whether its in books, films or TV series - but I've always liked my sci fi not to take itself too seriously. It can still be quite dark but the characters still have an edge of something, humour/irreverence/whatever, in their lives, albeit sometimes only in very small doses, that makes it more real.
                  I truly believe that's the most attractive thing about the Wraith - somehow they don't quite seem to take themselves seriously! And not just Todd either... Shawn seemed to intensely enjoy winding up that human and even Steve took to goading the guards just for the fun of it. As for Eddie, well he was clearly having a ball strutting his stuff around the hive, dragging Shep from pillar to post and leering at the human females!
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to Draco-Stellaris for the gorgeous Todd avatar

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                    Science fiction is a wide ranging genre. It includes George Orwell's 'Nineteen Eighty Four' which is about a totalitarian state (no space ships or aliens), books by Robert A Heinlein which focus on relationships (there's lots of romance and sex in 'I Will Fear No Evil' but no space ships or aliens') and all action stuff where the plot is just an excuse for running around with guns, space battles and big explosions.

There's an interesting discussion about whether SGU is science fiction here.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...erse-is-sci-fi
                    I also think the definition can be also down to whether you are a purest or not. Most hard SF fans will scoff at the notion of SG, ST, BSG et al as being anything other than 'SciFi light', at best schmaltzy Space Opera. For what it's worth, I can see their point too, as I am a reader of much harsher pieces and like my SF dark, moody and compelling - e.g Revelation Space, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Neuromancer - generally (Trek is and always will be my first love).

There are some truly amazing writers out there who take the genre and twist it to something amazing, and they are far too many to name.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Isolde View Post
                      I also think the definition can be also down to whether you are a purest or not. Most hard SF fans will scoff at the notion of SG, ST, BSG et al as being anything other than 'SciFi light', at best schmaltzy Space Opera.
                      The discussion I gave a link to ended up with a lot of people saying that SGU definitely qualifies as science fiction. The real question is whether or not it qualifies as good science fiction.
                      sigpic

Comment

The real question is whether or not it qualifies as good science fiction.
                        No!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Isolde View Post
                          No!
                          I think the same can be said of SGA. How many WDC members would have been SGA fans if it hadn't had the Wraith?
                          sigpic

Comment

I think the same can be said of SGA. How many WDC members would have been SGA fans if it hadn't had the Wraith?
                            Well, I admit SGA or to be more precise SG-1 as well are truly not the height of sophisticated science-fiction but I think I'd be a fan even without the Wraith just because the episodes are (in most cases) entertaining 40 minutes. And before I fell hopelessly for the Wraith I was adoring McKay (go figure ).

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
                              And before I fell hopelessly for the Wraith I was adoring McKay (go figure ).
                              And I had a very soft spot for Beckett. Still do, really, because of the way Paul McGillion played him.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
                                Well, I admit SGA or to be more precise SG-1 as well are truly not the height of sophisticated science-fiction but I think I'd be a fan even without the Wraith just because the episodes are (in most cases) entertaining 40 minutes. And before I fell hopelessly for the Wraith I was adoring McKay (go figure ).
                                I'm with you on this DS & tried to green you but couldn't. For the most part I want my TV scifi to be escaptist entertainment and if it's not considered 'good' by others then that's just toooo bad. If I want something deeper, more complex, I look for a book! I have a soft spot for McKay too - even when he's snarky and annoying!
                                Last edited by Trillian52; 22 January 2010, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X