X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
    This is Benny!

das
    loooooooooooooool !!! that guy is SO funny !!! i'll make a plushie .

Comment

This is Benny!

das
      Nope, I'm sorry but that really is just soooo wrong

Comment

Hopeless romantics and conservatives
        ~ Created by Draygon ~

Comment

Originally posted by Solla View Post
          And you were also afraid of Benny? Can't believe it
          Not afraid, just distrubed... deeply disturbed!!!!
          sigpic
          Thanks to Draco-Stellaris for the gorgeous Todd avatar

Comment

Yes, we certainly need the diversions!

Zenith is a character created by Anthony Skene in the early 20th century (c. 1930s), so you were correct. Zenith was one of Moorcock's inspirations when he created Elric, so much so that he later wrote his own Zenith the Albino tales in The Metatemporal Detective (the cover of which is adorned with that Elric/Zenith picture). das
            I check out the title on amazon.com sounds like the eleven stories would be fun to read. Kind of summer reading. Love the cover
            LS

I often wonder if any of Elric went into the creation of the Wraith, since Elric's vampiric sword, Stormbringer, is sustained by the souls it steals...and that energy, in turn, is given to Elric. Both Wraith and Elric are soul-stealers, as it were...sustained by the life energy of others. Of course, in Elric's case it's more the sword than him (the sword feeds on the souls, then gives it's energy to Elric, so Elric does not directly feed upon the fallen), but the 'vampiric' theme is still very much present.

Since I'm in this 'albinistic' mode, just a reminder that there are two very real, and well-respected, albinic men in the music world. Though up in their 60s now, Edgar and Johnny Winter were not too shabby in their youth:

Spoiler:

Yeah. I'm obsessed.

das
            I though of another book I read a couple of weeks ago. "Quantum Series: Keeping it Real by Justina Robson. where in the story there is a Elven Necromancer who eats the souls of demons.

Science fiction is rarely original now today. The creation of the Wraith may have been "borrowed" from other stories or, images. I watched " The Time Machine" the other night. I notice that albino under lord had a expose vertebrae I thought of Spike from "Vegas". So, where is the originality in TV ? Would like to stay longer but, I have to go... thing to do, like going to work

LS

Comment

Just a quickie - been kinda busy...elsewhere...this weekend. But I wanted to make a new sig, knowing that the old one was creeping so many of you out. lol.

This one is better...and kinda shows where I am right now...the evolution of my current obsession...

das
              Cool new siggie, das. Who are the last two?

Edit: Oops, didn't read far enough. Elric is the guy in the book list you gave me for this summer, right?
              sigpic
              Siggie created by TP//Avatar by Draco-Stellaris

Comment

Originally posted by Starry Waters View Post
                Cool new siggie, das. Who are the last two?

Edit: Oops, didn't read far enough. Elric is the guy in the book list you gave me for this summer, right?

Yes...Elric...who is like a cross between Prince Nuada (in appearance, a powers), and the Wraith (in his soul-sucking sword, Stormbringer).

I started a thread for him, if anyone is interested: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=66733

das
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidSky View Post
                  I check out the title on amazon.com sounds like the eleven stories would be fun to read. Kind of summer reading. Love the cover
                  LS

I though of another book I read a couple of weeks ago. "Quantum Series: Keeping it Real by Justina Robson. where in the story there is a Elven Necromancer who eats the souls of demons.

Science fiction is rarely original now today. The creation of the Wraith may have been "borrowed" from other stories or, images. I watched " The Time Machine" the other night. I notice that albino under lord had a expose vertebrae I thought of Spike from "Vegas". So, where is the originality in TV ? Would like to stay longer but, I have to go... thing to do, like going to work

LS
                  Michael Moorcock's antihero, Elric and Justina Robson's Necromancer Elf, Tath, in the Quantum Gravity books (great books, by the way, I would definitely recommend them!) both feed on life force, but both of them do it rather reluctantly. Elric has a real love/hate relationship with his vampiric sword, Stormbringer. It's great to be strong and powerful, but Elric hates the fact that he is dependent on Stormbringer to provide the life force that he needs to stay that way. Tath is even more reluctant since he never really wanted to be a Necromancer at all.

On the other had we have the Wraith: they have no reluctance or remorse when it comes to sucking the life out of their prey. It's just what they do to stay alive.
                  Sparrow hawk

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow_hawk View Post
                    Michael Moorcock's antihero, Elric and Justina Robson's Necromancer Elf, Tath, in the Quantum Gravity books (great books, by the way, I would definitely recommend them!) both feed on life force, but both of them do it rather reluctantly. Elric has a real love/hate relationship with his vampiric sword, Stormbringer. It's great to be strong and powerful, but Elric hates the fact that he is dependent on Stormbringer to provide the life force that he needs to stay that way. Tath is even more reluctant since he never really wanted to be a Necromancer at all.

On the other had we have the Wraith: they have no reluctance or remorse when it comes to sucking the life out of their prey. It's just what they do to stay alive.
                    I like the Quantum Gravity series by Justina Robson I read all three books and there is a 4th book coming out " Chasing the Dragon". When Tath eat the souls of Demons he became stronger. I quite liked Tath and Dar. Have you read all three novels if you didn't I won't tell you what's happens to Zal. however, Tath does get redeemed.

LS

Comment

Hiya, all...I asked Joe Mallozzi a Wraithy question last night, and he was kind enough to try to give me a decent answer:

DasNdanger writes: “So, are the masked Wraith warriors capable of independent thought, or are they totally under the mind control of the more advanced Wraith? And are they completely sentient, or is that debatable?”

Answer: It’s debatable (insofar as we never actually sat down and decided one way or another) but given the way the conversations in the room went, it’s safe to say that the warriors are on the dimmer end of the wraith intellectual spectrum. They are controlled by verbal command and occasional mental prodding.

I then asked him if the soldiers do not possess the same intelligence, could they become an alternative food source for Wraith, and if so - and since they are so long-lived - would they sustain a Wraith longer between feeds.

Not sure he'll answer that one, but it was worth a try!

das
                      sigpic

Comment

Yes...Elric...who is like a cross between Prince Nuada (in appearance, a powers), and the Wraith (in his soul-sucking sword, Stormbringer).

I started a thread for him, if anyone is interested: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=66733

das
                        Great!! That'll be cool once I start reading the books! Soon hopefully.
                        sigpic
                        Siggie created by TP//Avatar by Draco-Stellaris

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidSky View Post

LS
                          Is that the deeply s*it remake of the original, with Guy Pearce, you speak of? The Morlocks are not like that in either the book or the proper film; they are much, much scarier in the 1960 version. A far better film too.

Science fiction is far more original than you think, at least it is if you're into the hard stuff like Alistair Reynolds, Greg Bear, Peter Hamilton to name a few. *shuffles nervously due to exposure of geek nature*
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Isolde View Post
                            Is that the deeply s*it remake of the original, with Guy Pearce, you speak of? The Morlocks are not like that in either the book or the proper film; they are much, much scarier in the 1960 version. A far better film too.

Science fiction is far more original than you think, at least it is if you're into the hard stuff like Alistair Reynolds, Greg Bear, Peter Hamilton to name a few. *shuffles nervously due to exposure of geek nature*
                            Don't worry - I think most of us have a certain level of geekyness - we probably wouldn;t be here if we didn;t! Agree re Morlocks btw, but havn't come across the authors you mention - will now go and Google 'em!
                            sigpic

Comment

Hiya, all...I asked Joe Mallozzi a Wraithy question last night, and he was kind enough to try to give me a decent answer:

DasNdanger writes: “So, are the masked Wraith warriors capable of independent thought, or are they totally under the mind control of the more advanced Wraith? And are they completely sentient, or is that debatable?”

Answer: It’s debatable (insofar as we never actually sat down and decided one way or another) but given the way the conversations in the room went, it’s safe to say that the warriors are on the dimmer end of the wraith intellectual spectrum. They are controlled by verbal command and occasional mental prodding.

I then asked him if the soldiers do not possess the same intelligence, could they become an alternative food source for Wraith, and if so - and since they are so long-lived - would they sustain a Wraith longer between feeds.

Not sure he'll answer that one, but it was worth a try!

das
                              That's a REALLY interesting direction you're going in, das... can't wait to hear if you get an answer!
                              sigpic

Comment

there is another "stormbringer" or "doombringer" white-haired soul-sucking char in a game called Lineage II - The Kamael. ( sry, don't know how to multi-quote)

Comment

Working...
                                X